FM 2009 Announcement

Gregor

like a (super) mod
Reaction score
FM09.jpg

Dear all

Well, it's that time of year when we're getting ever closer to revealing the new features for our forthcoming Football Manager releases, Football Manager 2009 on PC & Mac, and Football Manager Handheld on PSP. I can confirm that they are both coming, and will both be out before Xmas. And out on the same date too.
As those of you who visit footballmanager.net might have seen, there's a bit of a teaser image up there. Guesses at what it is and why are more than welcome in this thread

As for the new features announcements, release date announcement and first look at the packshot, these will be coming in the evening of Wednesday September 3rd. So slightly later than the end of August originally promised but there are very good reasons for this, mainly involving global co-ordination for the announcement, and half of Southern Europe being shut down until next week.
The announcement itself will be in the form of a documentary type thing, made by Remedy Productions who do a lot of work with Channel 4 in the UK mainly on the music side of things. This will be initially viewable from our new You Tube channel, which can be found at www.youtube.co.uk/sigames. The video will be put up there first, and we'll then embed it into the various sigames and FM websites once it's encoded properly, sometime after 6pm next Wednesday, so it's well worth subscribing to the channel if you want to get it first. The documentary is going to be between 15 & 20 minutes long, and include many surprises along the way.
The day afterwards, when we've had some time to type it up, we'll post up some of the features that were discussed in the video for those of you with very short attention spans, or who are just too lazy to watch it. Which will hopefully be no one.

Please note that what we're announcing next Wednesday is not everything new that will be in the games, but a snapshot of some of the new features from the games. There will be further announcements as we get closer to the release date through some blogs (the site of which will be revealed when the first blog happens), the podcast and a few other places too. I'll leave it to others to then find these and post them on the forums here, although around the release of the demo will colate everything together to give as full a feature list as we'll ever give out. We don't want to ruin people's fun finding little things here and there during their game playing!
We look forward to the discussions of what we announce next week, although I'll be late to that party as at the same time as the announcements are going live, I'll be off at some press conference thingy. Just try to keep it constructive please - we hope there will be something for everyone in the announcement, but we can't please everyone all of the time, however hard we try

Cheers

Miles

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=41122

http://www.sigames.com/news.php?type=view&article_id=1301

Last edited:
hmm wonder what they will do for this one

lets hope its better than this one cos its not been the best

the whole confidence system is ***** and it needs to be better at long term games

Game needs a major rehaul. I want something new and shiny and not an old fashioned database game anymore. I hope they deliver.

A major rehaul could be worse than you think the game is now.

Personally as long as theirs a few new features, and more relevant and better team talks, confidence system like Sam said, and one or two other things then I'll be happy

I've heard that they're removing the arrows from tactics because they make it too easy to confuse the AI and the match engine if you make a tactic with loads of stupid arrows :|

I've heard that they're removing the arrows from tactics because they make it too easy to confuse the AI and the match engine if you make a tactic with loads of stupid arrows :|

Or they could do things right and fix the AI. I'm sick of stupid things like my wingers having the ball in miles of space near the oppositions touchline and then clearing it into touch.

Oh and they need to make team talks worth the time as well... "Didn't seem to be listening"

yeah i hate it when someone just "plays the ball on" and just whacks it out for no reason and pointless highlights do my head in too

also im sick to death of constantly dominating teams and them having one shot on target or sometimes even 0 - and it being 1-0 or 1-1. i know it happens in real life but it happens far too often and very very rarely in your favour

I don't know if any of you's have ever seen this but it annoys the **** out of me when say someone has the ball running towards the box and he gets tackled and falls to the floor, but instead of playing on or a free kick been given, the players just stand still and wait for the player on the floor to get back up and carry on his dribble :irked:

-Tactics are too indepth, if youve got a worldclass team you shouldnt need to come up with a very sophisticated system/tactic to beat the like of stoke etc

-The amount of times you could be owning a team 2-0 say if your man u against derby, and they go 4-2-4 for the last 10 mins and get 2 goals. Would derby really go 4-2-4 v man u irl if getting battered 2-0 with 10 mins left. Why does 4-2-4 not let in many goals? surely the team should be really vulnerable. SI say, they go attacking you go defnesive, but it never seems to work for me at least :(

-Regens! The game becomes ulplayable after 10 years due to the poor quality of regens.

-Internationl management needs improved. Its almost impssobile for a coach to get sacked unless they get to a WC or Euros and then do ****.

-Transfer sytstem. It gets ridicoulus, by 3-4 years in you need to pay 20m for an avaerage player, players move around for 30m all the tiem and sometimes dont even get played. Sick of players moving for big money to big teams and playing **** for a season and then moving to another big team for more money!

yeah players like marcelo for me just bounce around massive clubs for massive fees and rarely play.

also yeah i like doing long games and its **** after so long, the big clubs dont replace their stars so they become **** where in real life they would get some up and coming stars to replace the ageing team, on my game after 5 years everton just won the league and united and arsenal werent even in top 5 its a joke.

Yeh thats annoying.

Long contracts as well. Teams give their best players long deals even if they are in their 30s, so you end up with players like lampard and terry sitting in the reserves for 2-3 years on 120k a week. Also they then join a crappy team, who irl would be over the moon with an aging star but who never in the game play them once

I don't know if any of you's have ever seen this but it annoys the **** out of me when say someone has the ball running towards the box and he gets tackled and falls to the floor, but instead of playing on or a free kick been given, the players just stand still and wait for the player on the floor to get back up and carry on his dribble :irked:

haha yeh ive seen that happen./......

agree with the transfers....after 2/3 years u do have to spend ridiculous amounts for average players.....and again with the ageing stars...my bro had micheal owen then when his contract expired he went to QPR where he rotted in their reserves even though he was only 32/33

yeah thats true , i hate the way if you take over a club theres loads of ****** players in the reserves on big wages when irl a manager would clear them out. and if you bid for a player worth 500k in the reserves of a team and you bid 275k as thats all you have a team should accept that! it seems if you want to sell a player you have to let him got for nothing but if you want to buy a player you have to pay well over the odds.

the lack of work permits is annoying - im not sure how realistic it is but i can never get work permits for youngsters

One thing that annoys me is the inability to undo tactics/changes----say u make a sub, go defensive whatever...but then u/they score, and then it can't be undone and it ***** you up...that annoys me. Also, for me its a guarantee that if a player hasnt scored this season of for his new club, his first goal will be v me.

also im sick to death of constantly dominating teams and them having one shot on target or sometimes even 0 - and it being 1-0 or 1-1. i know it happens in real life but it happens far too often and very very rarely in your favour

TTFM.

I can't believe we've found so many faults etc with a game that my life would quite frankly be incomplete without >_>

Also, for me its a guarantee that if a player hasnt scored this season of for his new club, his first goal will be v me.

haha yeah too true

"thats his first ever goal for _____" or "thats his first goal of the season"

or even "thats his first ever senior goal" which i got last night!

i see those far too often

I can't believe we've found so many faults etc with a game that my life would quite frankly be incomplete without >_>

Lol, same here. As much as it annoys that there are so many faults and mistakes, if I didn't have it I would crack up.

This theads an interestign read:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=41124

Basically about how people feel SI dont respond to criticism at all, and how people would rather know how their gunna fix what was wrong with 08 as oppose to hearing about new features. Ter from SI games is posting in the thread.

This theads an interestign read:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=41124

Basically about how people feel SI dont respond to criticism at all, and how people would rather know how their gunna fix what was wrong with 08 as oppose to hearing about new features. Ter from SI games is posting in the thread.

Yeah I've been reading that. Isn't Ter the skin man at SI though? Shows their interest in what people have to say :cool:

Very good points made by everyone and being totally truthfull do we need more upgrates on things like media etc i think the game is fine the way it is just concentrate on fixing the things wrong with the game before adding more **** thats fun for 4 weeks then gets boring