FM Base CotM Discussion Thread: feedback, thoughts and ideas

Pompey_Dan

theboydonegood.net
Reaction score
The FM Base Challenge of the Month competition has been running for a few months now and I'd like to know member's thoughts and ideas about it.

I'd like the competition to be owned by, played by and contributed to by the FM Base community and so I have set up this thread so you can discuss what you like/dislike about the competition, post ideas for future challenges or ask questions.

A bit aout the CotM competition: The idea behind Challenge of the Month isn't a new one, it has been around on other FM forum sites for a long while and Kris created one here on FM Base for previous versions of the game.

The concept of this latest incarnation was to give FM Baser's the chance to play the game in a different way whilst competing against other players without the need to set up a network game. The challenges are generally no more than one season long and have been set all around the FM world in an attempt to illustrate just how diverse that world really is and that the possibilities the game provides are practically endless!

What do you think of this concept?
What leagues would you like to see appear in future challenges?
Do you have an original idea for a future challenge?
Or would you like to suggest that we use a unique database that you have created?

I can't promise to include everyone's thoughts/ideas but where unique and original I will give it the consideration it deserves.

Thanks for your time and support, GL everyone.

Pompey_Dan

Last edited:
The concept is truly great,realy.The challenges that Dan makes so for are hard,fun and is realy enjoyment to compete.I think that next challange should be in England.I have two ideas now,actually I have plenty of them but my english is not so good that I could explain what I mean.
First idea:Make your team winners of EPL without foreign players in two years.
Second idea:The Glazer's are gone but they leave the club in the debt's and you must sell stars to survive.Raise them from the ash and back them the glory.
Also I think that main problem is number of game saves.My idea is:You can save your game per season how much you want,but there is be extra and deducation points.
10 saves per season-0 points
0-9 saves-1-10 points
over 10-one deducation point per save
Also change of PA,CA,reputation of players should be involed in each challange.

Thanks for the feedback and support Shake87, I've already devised next month's challenge and you'll be pleased to hear that it is based in the EPL, but that's as much as I'll give away right now!

Great ideas, keep them coming.

I like your thoughts about the number of saves. They are limited to reduce the possibility of cheating and I like the idea of a penalty for saves over the set number.
The number of saves is set depending on the length of the challenge, it's about one for every month of the challenge. Perhaps this should be one save for every TWO game months? Also if the penalty was -3pts for every extra save this would completely negate the point of reloading after losing... Any thoughts?

I just can't trust people not to cheat, which is why I don't participate.

I think the challenges have worked well, and they look really good.

A few things I would say though:

1. The number of saves is a tricky issue. I think a point deduction for each save made would probably be a good idea, as it stops people reloading lost matches. However it might stop less frequent players, who can only play for 30 mins at a time, from entering.

2. I think the variety is good in the challenges. Many leagues should be used, and I'd prefer them being away from the EPL personally.

3. I think there should be a mix between short and long challenges. At the moment I'm not really playing FM much, and I'd like to see short challenges, like a 10 match season run in for example. But the Inter 2 season one looks popular, so a mix of short and longer ones would be good to me.

4. The length of time for each challenge is good, it allows everyone time to complete the challenges. Maybe the thread should be bumped every so often, so people don't forget about it.

5. How many people complete each challenge? To me the interest seems slightly lower than it deserves, and not many regular members compete in the challenges. I'm not really sure why this is or ways around it, but if you got more of the regular forum members to enter it might increase the challenge's popularity.

Hope the feedback helps, and I'll try and complete more of your future challenges. :)

I think an idea for the next challenge would be to take over Harchester United and win the Premier League again with them in the first year and you would have my permission to use the database I created.

The challenges have all looked good so far, I have just not had much time on my hands to complete them. Should be able compete in the next one though :D

I agree with you.People are suspicious when someone is successful.For example,currently CoT is on first sight hard and impossible to make it.You limited players to 12 saves per season.Everyone will win the title because Seria B teams are terrible,you can compete with one or two teams for title.In Italian Cup Inter play's five games,means that you need to save game 5 times in order to win 50 extra points,right?Personally I've had so many saves and i won the Cup because the crash dumps.I think that real challange will be if you limit saves per season on 5-6 and in that way reduce number of "unfair" players.Maybe it should be an additional challenge for those who completed?

I just can't trust people not to cheat, which is why I don't participate.

That's fair enough Frankie, I think that some people will "bend the rules" but the more rules you try to enforce the more complicated the competition becomes.

Of course, CotM isn't all about winning... there is a lot of satisfaction to be had in playing the game in a different way, trying something new. There is a certain moral victory in completing a challenge knowing that you haven't gained any sort of unfair advantage regardless of where you come on the leaderboard.

I think the challenges have worked well, and they look really good.

A few things I would say though:

1. The number of saves is a tricky issue. I think a point deduction for each save made would probably be a good idea, as it stops people reloading lost matches. However it might stop less frequent players, who can only play for 30 mins at a time, from entering.

2. I think the variety is good in the challenges. Many leagues should be used, and I'd prefer them being away from the EPL personally.

3. I think there should be a mix between short and long challenges. At the moment I'm not really playing FM much, and I'd like to see short challenges, like a 10 match season run in for example. But the Inter 2 season one looks popular, so a mix of short and longer ones would be good to me.

I like the idea of variety too, and I do intend to keep the challenges moving. I haven't based one in the EPL yet so next month will be the first. It would be good if people could suggest some interesting leagues and explain what makes them stand out. Regarding the saves/cheating issue I am going to develop this a little further but not too much, as I can't please all of the people all of the time! But I'm willing to trust entrants to participate in the spirit of the game and if they cheat, they cheat only themselves and it will be a hollow victory.

5. How many people complete each challenge? To me the interest seems slightly lower than it deserves, and not many regular members compete in the challenges. I'm not really sure why this is or ways around it, but if you got more of the regular forum members to enter it might increase the challenge's popularity.

Hope the feedback helps, and I'll try and complete more of your future challenges. :)

I'm quite happy with the interest that the comp is getting at the moment and if it continues to build slowly that's great. Whilst I am having fun inventing challenges I hope that this thread creates a community based theme with others contributing.

Your feedback is very helpful buddy, thank you and keep it coming!

I think an idea for the next challenge would be to take over Harchester United and win the Premier League again with them in the first year and you would have my permission to use the database I created.

The challenges have all looked good so far, I have just not had much time on my hands to complete them. Should be able compete in the next one though :D

I'll take a look at the db Dan, thanks. Feel free to enter the competitions whenever you want ;)

I agree with you.People are suspicious when someone is successful.For example,currently CoT is on first sight hard and impossible to make it.You limited players to 12 saves per season.Everyone will win the title because Seria B teams are terrible,you can compete with one or two teams for title.In Italian Cup Inter play's five games,means that you need to save game 5 times in order to win 50 extra points,right?Personally I've had so many saves and i won the Cup because the crash dumps.I think that real challange will be if you limit saves per season on 5-6 and in that way reduce number of "unfair" players.Maybe it should be an additional challenge for those who completed?

I knew from testing that July's challenge (with Inter Milan) was slightly easier than it first looked from the testing I carried out before releasing it! As I have mentioned earlier in this post your comments have given me 'food for thought' and I will develop the rules slightly for the next challenge.

Last edited:
I for one have much time on weekends but I save it frequently and I save it quite a lot as sometimes I am not in the mood and sometimes I am. So I would personally prefer it if there was no save limit, as you said, if you win by cheating them it seems hollow. Also, I would like a theme based around the World Cup!

I for one have much time on weekends but I save it frequently and I save it quite a lot as sometimes I am not in the mood and sometimes I am. So I would personally prefer it if there was no save limit, as you said, if you win by cheating them it seems hollow. Also, I would like a theme based around the World Cup!

Check out Challenge of the Month 1 (May) Paul, the thread is closed now but you could still give the challenge a go. It was based around the 2010 World Cup, that's not to say we won't visit the competition again in the future. ;)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f83/new-comp-challenge-of-the-month-may-t35805.html

Last edited:
I have mentioned previously that I preferred your month 2 challenge, where you issued a save game. This gives all players same values for variable players, hence level playing field.

I also agree that keeping it as simple as possible is better if you want more people to participate. On issue of saves, I think the fewer the better and fully understand the comments of those concerned about cheating. I think one save every two game months is more than enough.

Maybe you could consider asking for winners or highly placed entrants to send you their game saves for you to analyse, also to discourage cheating.

Having said I preferred Month 2, I am in the process of doing Month 3 challenge and enjoying it very much.

I have mentioned previously that I preferred your month 2 challenge, where you issued a save game. This gives all players same values for variable players, hence level playing field.

I also agree that keeping it as simple as possible is better if you want more people to participate. On issue of saves, I think the fewer the better and fully understand the comments of those concerned about cheating. I think one save every two game months is more than enough.

Maybe you could consider asking for winners or highly placed entrants to send you their game saves for you to analyse, also to discourage cheating.

Having said I preferred Month 2, I am in the process of doing Month 3 challenge and enjoying it very much.

Thanks for the feedback and support Piginho, I look forward to your entry into CotM 3 as reigning champ ;)

If I think that cheating has gone on I will (discreetly) ask for supporting evidence, but this needs to be balanced with a certain amount of trust. That said expect the rules to be tightened in future CotM's.

Reminder to all: please put forward any ideas you may have for future editions of "Challenge of the Month"... or can you simply suggest a good league to play in?

Hi Pompey-Dan

Just posted part 1 of COTM 3 and feel I really maxed out the use of 48 month installments. Presumably in part 2 I'll get a decent transfer fund so potential for purchasing maybe £200M to £300M or more worth of players. I won't go bust during the challenge, but could well do in future if challenge went into year three or four.

I don't have a problem with idea of using installment purchases in general and have used free reign to do so as you answered in the 4th post of the challenge, however, I think you could do a challenge which includes a balance of reward for achievement on the pitch, whilst remaining financially responsible.

As a Pompey fan this idea should be close to your heart after the way you've seen your beloved club abused in this manner.

So here's an idea! Why not set a challenge to restore Portsmouth to the prem and reward success for first year in prem, but provide more points for establishing Portsmouth on a sound financial basis. This wouldn't prevent installment purchases, but would take into account your monthly outgoings for such.

Other financial aspects would be factored in, such as debt (or dare I say it even profit). It would suit the wheeler dealers, like me, that like to buy players cheap, develop them and then sell on at a good profit.

Just an idea, but it would be a two year challenge so would need to wait a month or two after the current Inter challenge.

Regards
Piginho

August's CotM competition is now up and running, click on my signature pic to found put more.

Feel free to post any thoughts, comments or suggestions for future challenges here.

I liked the Shearer one but I could just not find time mate I am trying to focus on my Napoli save. I tink you have the greatest idea having doing these challanges it shows a real test of managment skills.

challange idea

with gordon strachan's McMiddlesbrough experiment staggering in it early steps, i think a good challange would be to take control of a team in one country and a squad composed mainly of players from another see how well it fares, the country in which the team is based would have to have a higher rep than the one the players are from so they will be happy to move, but not to high a level of league so decent results are achevible, specifing the nationality of the players will probibly result in most folk buy the same players so will test the mangers abilties rather than there prefered scouting method, i would also suggest a 40-60% ratio of players from the doner nation in the first team. ps restricing players to region ie. west african players in the french national, may provide more varity in player avaliblity

Last edited:
with gordon strachan's McMiddlesbrough experiment staggering in it early steps, i think a good challange would be to take control of a team in one country and a squad composed mainly of players from another see how well it fares, the country in which the team is based would have to have a higher rep than the one the players are from so they will be happy to move, but not to high a level of league so decent results are achevible, specifing the nationality of the players will probibly result in most folk buy the same players so will test the mangers abilties rather than there prefered scouting method, i would also suggest a 40-60% ratio of players from the doner nation in the first team. ps restricing players to region ie. west african players in the french national, may provide more varity in player avaliblity

Thats simalir to what i've tried to do with my challenge (link in signiture)

-​

On another note - though that this months challenge was quality, almost finished it but...not going to post screen shots as im well over the save limit, such is life with full time work! tbh i've done rubbish anyway. Keep it up dan, looking forward to the next challenge already.​

Thats simalir to what i've tried to do with my challenge
sorry but i will not do anything that jepordizes the career, even in a factious environment, of the genius that is BIG ECK, the man who scored that goal in paris, and the one they call "oh barry, barry. barry, barry, barry ferguson".

sorry but i will not do anything that jepordizes the career, even in a factious environment, of the genius that is BIG ECK, the man who scored that goal in paris, and the one they call "oh barry, barry. barry, barry, barry ferguson".

right

The number of entrants in the current CotM appears to indicate a decline in interest, with FM2011 coming out soon is this a feature that has served a short lived purpose and has now run it's natural course?

Please leave your [constructive] thoughts, thanks.