FM Base Story Awards: Interest & Idea's Thread.

Comments are the main things to keep you going, but I've found that the longer your story gets the more people get involved, and in a way it should be like that.

I noticed that I didn't put too much detail in, which is something I've started doing a bit more recently.

There are different types of stories though, and that's what makes them all so good in their own way, I can't scroll read Enrico's in work as theres so much to read, where as I can read others, but I like the fact there are different styles!

There are different types of stories though, and that's what makes them all so good in their own way, I can't scroll read Enrico's in work as theres so much to read, where as I can read others, but I like the fact there are different styles!

Yep, we cant all be Pucci's, which is what makes what he does so admirable. As long as there is a bit of balance (not all writing, not all screenshots) I'm happy. The key, for me, is finding a mix you are comfortable with.

In all honesty my story of the year would be Brendn's mini masterpiece, Kia Ora! That thing was as close to perfection as anything I've seen. Brief as it was!

Yep, we cant all be Pucci's, which is what makes what he does so admirable. As long as there is a bit of balance (not all writing, not all screenshots) I'm happy. The key, for me, is finding a mix you are comfortable with.

In all honesty my story of the year would be Brendn's mini masterpiece, Kia Ora! That thing was as close to perfection as anything I've seen. Brief as it was!

Kia Ora was one of the best stories I have ever looked at!

I think the thing we largely forget sometimes is that whilst we are doing it for the reader, the main thing is that we are also doing it for ourselves. If it starts to feel like hard work, then quite frankly, it isn't probably worth doing. In my view, which could well be very wrong of course, the moment a story feels like a chore, then it has probably reached the end of its lifespan. Same goes for those saves that become too easy, too quickly. I'd rather write about a story where I get relegated, and have to bounce back, than a story where I do the quadruple first season, and then repeat it the next.

I think the thing we largely forget sometimes is that whilst we are doing it for the reader, the main thing is that we are also doing it for ourselves. If it starts to feel like hard work, then quite frankly, it isn't probably worth doing. In my view, which could well be very wrong of course, the moment a story feels like a chore, then it has probably reached the end of its lifespan. Same goes for those saves that become too easy, too quickly. I'd rather write about a story where I get relegated, and have to bounce back, than a story where I do the quadruple first season, and then repeat it the next.

Definitely! The best stories are the ones where it is difficult, not the ones where you waltz in and get three straight promotions followed by winning the top division. Ups and downs are what makes it more interesting to read

Last edited:
Definitely! The best stories are the ones were it is difficult, not the ones where you waltz in and get three straight promotions followed by winning the top division. Ups and downs are what makes it more interesting to read

Exactly! It's why I abandoned my ill fated Leicester story very early on, as I ended up top of the league, first season, with barely a change to the squad. It wasn't fun for me, and that would most likely translate across when I was typing it out, so I culled it quickly. With Garcia, it's a whole different ball game for me. I'm not restricted to a club, I have no set challenges I must achieve for it to be a success, I can go out and explore the FM world properly for the first time in a long time.

I think the thing we largely forget sometimes is that whilst we are doing it for the reader, the main thing is that we are also doing it for ourselves. If it starts to feel like hard work, then quite frankly, it isn't probably worth doing.

Thats a great point, if you are not enjoying it how can you expect others too? I must admit to having times where it just feels like a chore but usually take a bit of a break & find i miss it. Feels strange to get up in the morning & not post! :p

Thats a great point, if you are not enjoying it how can you expect others too? I must admit to having times where it just feels like a chore but usually take a bit of a break & find i miss it. Feels strange to get up in the morning & not post! :p

I tend to get this if I get a crash dump, it's so hard to start again for the period you've lost.

I'm quite looking forward to FM 16 now, I feel like I've understood how to win a bit too much on this one now, and I always struggle when a new one comes out.

The one that I didn't enjoy was A.C. Milan in my story. I was so sure it would be a challenge as they were 14th the season before, and then I found myself walking the league 6 months in, that's why I had to leave!

I tend to get this if I get a crash dump, it's so hard to start again for the period you've lost.

I'm quite looking forward to FM 16 now, I feel like I've understood how to win a bit too much on this one now, and I always struggle when a new one comes out.

The one that I didn't enjoy was A.C. Milan in my story. I was so sure it would be a challenge as they were 14th the season before, and then I found myself walking the league 6 months in, that's why I had to leave!

Fingers crossed, i have not had a crash dump in a few FMs actually. Have had my daughter turn my laptop off mid save, pull the charger out without me noticing etc. but only ever lose a game or 2 so not too bad, touch wood (hand in pants :p)

Yeah, losing 2/3 games isn't too bad when just playing away at a save but when you have a story and you spent a bit of time talking about incidents around the game then those same incidents don't occur it takes quite a bit to want to get going again!

How about an award for most bizarre story line? Think I'd be a shoe in for that one! :p

I wonder how people feel about doing a story of the month award, just as something to hold interest between the bigger award periods?

A story of the month wouldn't have to be the most popular story, just one that has featured quality updates for that particular period. The winner could then be "stickied" at the top of the page for that particular month & so on & so forth?

Worth noting that I am yet to raise the sticky subject with anyone that could help. :S

Maybe we could just do story of the month & then a big ceremony at years end instead of having 2 award periods going forward?

Just a thought, anyone have an opinion?