FM Base Story Awards: Interest & Idea's Thread.

Start off the discussion by making note of how close some of the categories are? Come on You Bee's is only a few votes off of Brendn's LFC story in presentation, while Enrico Pucci has started to pull away from me despite being neck and neck for the first 12 or so hours!!

PatrickLFC has newcomer in his back pocket though and the final 2 are looking close enough as well!!

Been interesting to follow the voting so far, Mask only missed out on a SOTY nomination by a couple of votes yet Pat is streaking the new comer!

Thought Enrico would dominate the writing category too but you have given him a run for his money. Deservedly so, I might add.

Start off the discussion by making note of how close some of the categories are? Come on You Bee's is only a few votes off of Brendn's LFC story in presentation, while Enrico Pucci has started to pull away from me despite being neck and neck for the first 12 or so hours!!

PatrickLFC has newcomer in his back pocket though and the final 2 are looking close enough as well!!

Yours is definitely the best competition Enrico has had, at least as far as I am aware. I was expecting Mask to win Newcomer, his Fulham story has been incredible, and he deserves it in my opinion

Was surprised about pushing Enrico, thought there would be no point in giving him any competition! Pretty chuffed I half pushed him though :O

Was surprised about pushing Enrico, thought there would be no point in giving him any competition! Pretty chuffed I half pushed him though :O

Last I checked the voting Enrico was winning SOTY as well! That's a bit of a surprise considering how Carragher dominated the likes!

Yeah - I was like you guys and figured that Jamie and Enrico would get all the votes! Its been interesting to see so far.

Yeah - I was like you guys and figured that Jamie and Enrico would get all the votes! Its been interesting to see so far.

Maybe Jamie has wider support, but Enrico has more first place votes, as such. Relatively at least

Maybe Jamie has wider support, but Enrico has more first place votes, as such. Relatively at least

Think what happens overnight will be interesting, Internet probs at home meant I posted later then expected so would have missed a lot of peeps.

Do you think that the fact the writing category has, thus far, been by far the most voted on award is evidence that their is a real interest in getting more of these type of stories up & running?

Do you think that the fact the writing category has, thus far, been by far the most voted on award is evidence that their is a real interest in getting more of these type of stories up & running?

A story is writing, not just pictures. This is a place for stories and while I accept some have more time than others there has to be some sort of creativity or just 'STORY' for the story.

The Harry Potter books weren't just pictures!

It is an interesting one to debate. The way I see it, there should be a clear theme, or narrative that runs at the heart of the piece. Be it ex-players breaking the world of management, or young managers finding glory, I find the ones that stick true to the original principle that was set out the most appealing.

As for the style, I'm pretty flexible. I can appreciate that not everyone has time to write a full blown story; nor would I expect that to be the case. I think as long as there isn't an imbalance one way or the other - too many screens, or not enough, then I can get on board. It's a fine line though. One of the things I was incredibly conscious of in the early days of mine was that there wasn't enough writing for my liking. For me, that turned me off my own story, as I was effectively screenshotting and posting.

I can appreciate that whilst I like to immerse myself in my file, some people may not have that time, or the desire to type out endless paragraphs. JC's story works well for me because there is narrative, and it is clear what the story is about. It may not have lots and lots of writing, but it goes beyond just posting screenshots, there is detail about other stuff within the file going on as well.

There is more stuff I could write here, but I'm multitasking on one of my own posts, so I may come back to this when I remember them!

A story is writing, not just pictures. This is a place for stories and while I accept some have more time than others there has to be some sort of creativity or just 'STORY' for the story.

The Harry Potter books weren't just pictures!

Good point.

I often look back on these threads http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...13-football-manager-base-story-rules-faq.html, http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ot-just-showing-us-screenshots-your-game.html & while I think some of it is a bit harsh there are also some good points being made.

Also, there is a "pressure" on this site, due to the large number of stories, to pump out the updates though & I wonder how much that affects what is being put out there at times?

Seems to be a tendency for quantity over quality, & I definitely include myself in that criticism.

Last edited:
Good point.

I often look back on this thread http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...13-football-manager-base-story-rules-faq.html & while I think some of it is a bit harsh there are also some good points being made.

Also, there is a "pressure" on this site, due to the large number of stories, to pump out the updates though & I wonder how much that affects what is being put out there at times?

Seems to be a tendency for quantity over quality, & I definitely include myself in that criticism.

Agreed, once you are off the first page, there is a pressure to get back there quickly to keep yourself in the limelight.

I like the point they make about multiple stories. Granted, I fall foul this year for numerous reasons, but I think it would raise the longevity and quality somewhat.

I don't mind people doing multiple stories so much, I myself have 3 so far this year :p

Guys like Coolmcool, Stonecold etc. have all done a few but they put some time & effort into them & as such are good reads. We all know that sometimes a save just gets stale or boring or whatever but it doesn't happen after 3 posts. They're the ones that annoy me, especially when some of them have real potential!

Some of that is maybe down to writers not getting enough support as well, that's why I like the dedicated follower award. I think its important for people to get in & encourage others as well. You dont always have to say something but a "like" costs nothing & can go along way toward keeping someone going when times are tough. I know this from experience!

You dont always have to say something but a "like" costs nothing & can go along way toward keeping someone going when times are tough. I know this from experience!

From experience, though, whilst likes are nice, there's nothing more disheartening than a page full of your own posts, asking for feedback at the end of each one, and still having 10+ likes on it. Gets the feeling people aren't really reading. Just scanning and liking.

I know that killed off my story start, not the save (which I'm still happily playing)

From experience, though, whilst likes are nice, there's nothing more disheartening than a page full of your own posts, asking for feedback at the end of each one, and still having 10+ likes on it. Gets the feeling people aren't really reading. Just scanning and liking.

I know that killed off my story start, not the save (which I'm still happily playing)

Yeah good point.

Obviously comments are more encouraging, but I think a like at least lets the writer know that people are interested even if they don't necessarily have anything constructive to say. I get what you mean though.

I also think it is worth noting that, more often then not, people need to be patient in finding an audience for their stories.

I know when I wake up & see almost the entire page full of "new" posts I will scroll down to the ones I am in the habit of reading first then go back & look at the others at a later date......hopefully.

Its tough keeping track of them all so you have to show a bit of perseverance to make clicking on & reading your story a habit for people. Its easy to give up because you're not getting a heap of likes or comments early on, tbh we probably lose a lot of good stories that way, but its the nature of the beast I think.

We story writers are a fragile bunch :p

But more often then not persistence pays!

I also think it is worth noting that, more often then not, people need to be patient in finding an audience for their stories.

This is ridiculously true, there's a fair amount of people who look to give up after a page or two, most people take an interest a few pages in - I never really got followers until the 15/20 mark!

I'm not much of a writer and it is something I'm trying to work on, I probably show too many screenshots :p I agree with being patient as well, I'm fairly new to the story business but I tend not to get too disheartened if I haven't had a comment for a few days.

Jamie Williams, Brendn, Enrico are the standards I strive to reach one day

I'm not much of a writer and it is something I'm trying to work on, I probably show too many screenshots :p I agree with being patient as well, I'm fairly new to the story business but I tend not to get too disheartened if I haven't had a comment for a few days.

Jamie Williams, Brendn, Enrico are the standards I strive to reach one day

Well on your way I'd say mate, your Lille story was very well presented i thought, one of those ones that just escaped my attention at the time but it was good!

Screenshots are fine by me as long as there is some substance as well, actually thought Godfish93 summed it up perfectly. Finding a balance that you are comfortable with is the key i think.