19 members now, so one more I think and we will call it finished with the draft beginning next Monday. We will use the rest of this week to explain the fine points of the draft and cup process.

If anybody knows someone who will be interested, please let them know ASAP as we only need one more member. Would like to get the draft started next Monday and want to leave time for explanations so if we could have another registration then that would be great. Thanks!

Ok mate count me in.

Team Name: Stuntcock FC
Steam username: Yet1
Time zone: GMT +10

Ok mate count me in.

Team Name: Stuntcock FC
Steam username: Yet1
Time zone: GMT +10

Perfect lads! We have 20 members, registration is officially closed! It's late where I'm at, but tomorrow I'll give a more detailed explanation of how everything should work from here on out. For now, welcome to the first ever FM-Base World Cup!

Perfect lads! We have 20 members, registration is officially closed! It's late where I'm at, but tomorrow I'll give a more detailed explanation of how everything should work from here on out. For now, welcome to the first ever FM-Base World Cup!

Genuinely so excited to be part of this, especially coz I'm a fan of all your stories :D

Genuinely so excited to be part of this, especially coz I'm a fan of all your stories :D

Thanks mate, although this will hopefully be my first story to actually finish haha.

Anyways on to an explanation of a few things:

1) The Draft: This is pretty straightforward, but it is going to take a lot of commitment from you guys. Please check often when it is close to or near your turn so that you receive my PM as soon as possible. Basically, I will be sending out PM's when it is your turn to pick a player. Already taken players will be posted on the first page of this thread, use that for reference. Draft order will be decided randomly and announced on Sunday, with the draft beginning next Monday (when I send out the first PM). It will work in a snake pattern, so the last pick of one round will be the first pick of the next. If you guys don't understand any part of this, please let me know. Also, some advice: Be tactical about who you pick. You should probably have a tactical system in mind, and look for players that fit that system; literally everyone is open game.

2) Editing - It's not that complicated in regards to editing. You will just create a new editing file using the 15.3 database, create a team, add all of their basic info, (on the first page of editing, that's what you need; don't edit financials, play preferences, staff etc.) , pick any stadium you want, edit the kits, and just add the players that you acquired in the draft. You will then replace them with any team in any playable league of your choice. Brendn has agreed to give a much more in-depth look and tutorial on this closer to the date, so please show appreciation for this and use it if you have trouble with the editor.

3) Playing Matches - All matches will be played in versus mode. To enter this game mode, you must load up a new save on FM, go to the squad page, and toggle to export it to versus mode. Then just coordinate with your opponent on a time and have at it. IN ORDER TO HAVE A SCORE, both teams must screenshot their scores and PM them to me!! Only then will it be official. I suggest you do this as soon as your game is over, it would just help me a lot. Each gameweek, I've decided, will be a week long. If you have any questions, let me know ASAP.

3) Future Plans - Pending the success of this competition, I plan to make one every month or so after the previous one finishes (always first twenty sign ups - allows for competition and drive to sign up). This can add history to the competition, create rivalries and favorites etc. The good part about these Cups are that they only should last 1-1.5 months and people can register for each individually so that they don't have to do one tournament if they will be busy; basically, sign up whenever you are free and make your name on the site. This should add history to the event, and I will always recognize past success stories in each intro thread. No, you guys don't have to provide any stories for this, but I'll be doing some round previews before each gameweek (i.e. a dark horse vs. a favorite) just to create banter and hype. Basically, I'm really hoping for this to become a mainstay of FM-Base and an event that shows who the best players on the site are!

Any questions or concerns? Please let me know! Super pumped for this event to begin :) Cheers!

Last edited:
You can just right-click a club in regular mode and select "Export Team for Versus Competition" too. So it doesn't have to be classic mode.

Brendn has agreed to give a much more in-depth look and tutorial on this closer to the date, so please show appreciation for this and use it if you have trouble with the editor.

After the Draft is made, I'll be drawing up a tutorial (with pictures and everything) explaining exactly how to go about this process. It's rather simplistic but it can be a bit daunting for people who've never used the editor before.

Like Mkmillwall said; any questions, fire them at me and I'll help you out :)

With a 20 team World cup, you could use the Rugby World Cup format and have 4 groups of 5 teams.
Top 2 team qualify for the Quarter-Finals.

A 4-game group stage means everyone gets a good run in this competition but only the best 8 get to contest the final prize :)

Edit:

While I'm at it. I was always a huge fan of the old Heineken Cup quarter final seeding system.

Each of the qualified teams are ranked into a table using their group stats (Points, Goal difference, goals for, ect)
and the teams are drawn as such.

1st vs 8th
2nd vs 7th
3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th

It means that even while the groups are wide open, people can have fun thinking about who they might get if results go their way. Or what kind of a result they need to avoid certain players. For the fans, this system was ****** amazing and very exciting.

While I like the randomness of unseeded draws used in football. There's a certain magic to the old Heineken cup seeding system :p

Last edited:
With a 20 team World cup, you could use the Rugby World Cup format and have 4 groups of 5 teams.

A 4-game group stage means everyone gets a good run in this competition but only the best 8 get to contest the final prize :)

Quite like this idea, would be a shame to go through a week (plus) of drafting just to lose one game & be out....

Quick question: Are we picking a squad of 18 players or maybe say 20 so if we realise we have made a mistake and wish to change something up we have that extra reserve or two to go for.

After the Draft is made, I'll be drawing up a tutorial (with pictures and everything) explaining exactly how to go about this process. It's rather simplistic but it can be a bit daunting for people who've never used the editor before.

Like Mkmillwall said; any questions, fire them at me and I'll help you out :)

Thanks mate!

Edit:

While I'm at it. I was always a huge fan of the old Heineken Cup quarter final seeding system.

Each of the qualified teams are ranked into a table using their group stats (Points, Goal difference, goals for, ect)
and the teams are drawn as such.

1st vs 8th
2nd vs 7th
3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th

It means that even while the groups are wide open, people can have fun thinking about who they might get if results go their way. Or what kind of a result they need to avoid certain players. For the fans, this system was ****** amazing and very exciting.

While I like the randomness of unseeded draws used in football. There's a certain magic to the old Heineken cup seeding system :p

Quite like this idea, would be a shame to go through a week (plus) of drafting just to lose one game & be out....

I always said it would be group + knockout haha (four groups of 5). The Heineken Cup principle sounds really cool, I'll edit the first post to say these things specifically.

Quick question: Are we picking a squad of 18 players or maybe say 20 so if we realise we have made a mistake and wish to change something up we have that extra reserve or two to go for.

As I stated in the first post, the draft is 23 rounds long, meaning you get 23 players :).

Ooops missed that bit.

No worries mate!

Does anybody know what kind of tactics they want to play and what players they want? I'm thinking a 4-2-3-1 w/ Target Man or Poacher depending on my draft area.

2) Editing - It's not that complicated in regards to editing. You will just create a new editing file using the 15.3 database, create a team, add all of their basic info, (on the first page of editing, that's what you need; don't edit financials, play preferences, staff etc.) , pick any stadium you want, edit the kits, and just add the players that you acquired in the draft. You will then replace them with any team in any playable league of your choice. Brendn has agreed to give a much more in-depth look and tutorial on this closer to the date, so please show appreciation for this and use it if you have trouble with the editor.
Can we possible use LFC Marshalls most recent update aswell as the players have been updated in CA/PA, minor attribute changes etc.

Everything else is all good for me... Cant wait to get started.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a thread that explains how to play versus online, never bothered with it before...

Can we possible use LFC Marshalls most recent update aswell as the players have been updated in CA/PA, minor attribute changes etc.

Everything else is all good for me... Cant wait to get started.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a thread that explains how to play versus online, never bothered with it before...

But LFC Marshall's update accounts for CA/PA not regulated by SI and thus it might be hard for everyone to acquire it. I'm okay with using it though, what do you guys think?

For versus mode, never looked into it either, just assumed it was easy to do. Tutorial anybody?

will use a 4-3-3 wide , don't steal the players I want (6)

Just did the draft order, looks to be very interesting! I'll release it at midnight GMT at the end of tomorrow :)

Does anybody know what kind of tactics they want to play and what players they want? I'm thinking a 4-2-3-1 w/ Target Man or Poacher depending on my draft area.

It's going to totally depend on what players are taken!
It will also be interesting to see the style of drafting each player takes, will they look to go for defenders/midfielders/attackers first, say draft in Neuer instead of obtaining a strong winger or forward.