FM Gripes/Questions - Slight Annoyances... Does this happen to you too?

• Thread starter Thread starter gji1992
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 4K

gji1992

Reaction score
Long-term lurker, just wanted to see if anyone else has similar gripes to me, also could do with some help.

Checked the 'post your frustrations thread' with no luck... Here's my main points.

Selling your players
This topic is my main grip.

Football manager is so unrealistic in terms of money you can achieve for your star players. Why can I not get over £45 million for any of my world class players yet other teams are selling players to other AI clubs and getting 3/4 of that fee for players who have 2 star scout ratings.

- Why do no clubs offer £50-80 million like in real life (Ronaldo Bale etc) Depay is world player of the year on mine, comfortably best player but when I put him up for sale (I wanted to try reinvest in youth) no-one even wanted him for £50 million?

- Yet when you go to buy a wonderkid, suddenly the AI wants £28 million up front for a 15 year old, it's obscenely unrealistic.

- Another point to this is how poor every club is, the English clubs dominate due to TV money but there are no elite left to buy my players it seems, very frustrating. Stoke are the 10th richest club in the world on my game despite never being in Europe.

(As a side question, is there any tactics to get more for you players or get a youth player for not a realistic price. I manage to admire them and try and unsettle them at the clubs but it never leads to anything. Currently Schalke have a 19 year old regen right back who is 4 1/2 potential, yet they want £48 million up front... I mean seriously?)

AI Buying habits

Is it me or is it too easy to monopolise the regen market after a while? There seems to be no intelligent scouting from the AI.

Furthermore, the AI rich clubs spend so ridiculously, buying players that are like 2 star ability in positions they are stacked in for £40 million... Needs to be fixed

Mood swing from players
The players are so erratic on this game, 18 year old hot prospects are complaining over a lack of playing time. How are we supposed to have squad players if they all want to be regular starters? Also they moan and complain about almost anything.

Scout ratings
Not so much a complaint but more of a question? Is there a worse feeling than when you sign a youth player who looks amazing and has received great reports... Only for him to arrive and he is 3 star potential?

This happens loads despite having scouts who have 20 CA and 20 PA attributes. 4 1/2 star potential (black stars) they arrive and suddenly it's 3 1/2... Big difference.

Is anyone else really affected by this. It annoys me as I've got a player who has amazing attributes except average physical ones, yet he is only 2 1/2 potential (granted I've got a good team in comparison) I find it really hard to persist with players who my scouts don't rate as it feels they're constricted to being destined to becoming average. I've started ignoring my scouts on one or two of them and just going by my own gut instinct.

Last edited:
I agree big time on most of the points. Especially the AI buying players for stupid amounts and then just not playing them for a year or two, and selling them for 1/4 of the price. Bayern just bough Lukaku for 45 mil on my save, yet the few years at Everton he has before he was pretty average to be kind to him, averaging around 6.8. In real life, Bayern would never in a million years spend that much on a player who has performed fairly poorly. It seems they are just signing him because he has a decent 'potential ability'.

I agree big time on most of the points. Especially the AI buying players for stupid amounts and then just not playing them for a year or two, and selling them for 1/4 of the price. Bayern just bough Lukaku for 45 mil on my save, yet the few years at Everton he has before he was pretty average to be kind to him, averaging around 6.8. In real life, Bayern would never in a million years spend that much on a player who has performed fairly poorly. It seems they are just signing him because he has a decent 'potential ability'.
Yeah, definitely needs to be tweaked but it's been the same for years annoyingly.

Just seen a 30 year old Theo Walcott bought for £28 million by Man City despite having woeful attributes... Yet I can't move on my in-form Kevin Bruyne for a few million more even though he is a world class player

Selling your players
This topic is my main grip.

Football manager is so unrealistic in terms of money you can achieve for your star players. Why can I not get over £45 million for any of my world class players yet other teams are selling players to other AI clubs and getting 3/4 of that fee for players who have 2 star scout ratings.

- Why do no clubs offer £50-80 million like in real life (Ronaldo Bale etc) Depay is world player of the year on mine, comfortably best player but when I put him up for sale (I wanted to try reinvest in youth) no-one even wanted him for £50 million?

- Yet when you go to buy a wonderkid, suddenly the AI wants £28 million up front for a 15 year old, it's obscenely unrealistic.

- Another point to this is how poor every club is, the English clubs dominate due to TV money but there are no elite left to buy my players it seems, very frustrating. Stoke are the 10th richest club in the world on my game despite never being in Europe.

(As a side question, is there any tactics to get more for you players or get a youth player for not a realistic price. I manage to admire them and try and unsettle them at the clubs but it never leads to anything. Currently Schalke have a 19 year old regen right back who is 4 1/2 potential, yet they want £48 million up front... I mean seriously?)

You can't get 50-80m. That doesn't make it universally true. As Ajax, I've already sold players for 62m and 72m. Last year (FM14), I managed a sale of £102m.

It's not that they don't want these players. They may not have the money or the player may not be interested in a move to those that do.

It's also basic business - If you put him up for sale, you don't need him and he'll fetch a lower value. I player on form who you're not looking to sell will fetch higher prices/offers.

The AI clubs do not want to sell their hottest prospects. That's why you're given ridiculous prices to pay. If you're the bigger club, you can try to unsettle him and you will have to be patient in some cases.

Be more open to receiving installments. You can get big sales that way.

AI Buying habits

Is it me or is it too easy to monopolise the regen market after a while? There seems to be no intelligent scouting from the AI.

Furthermore, the AI rich clubs spend so ridiculously, buying players that are like 2 star ability in positions they are stacked in for £40 million... Needs to be fixed

It's always going to be easier for us. We're better at spotting the good players. Always have been; always will be. The rich clubs, like real life, might fall for a player in the form of his life and their scouting reports will say that he's a 3 or 4 star player. Transfer flops, like real life, happens.

Mood swing from players
The players are so erratic on this game, 18 year old hot prospects are complaining over a lack of playing time. How are we supposed to have squad players if they all want to be regular starters? Also they moan and complain about almost anything.
Obviously? It depends how good they are, but almost every 18 year old wants a chance to prove themselves. Send them on loan or refuse their request of you don't want to play them. Young players need game time to really improve and that's what they're after.

Scout ratings
Not so much a complaint but more of a question? Is there a worse feeling than when you sign a youth player who looks amazing and has received great reports... Only for him to arrive and he is 3 star potential?

This happens loads despite having scouts who have 20 CA and 20 PA attributes. 4 1/2 star potential (black stars) they arrive and suddenly it's 3 1/2... Big difference.

Is anyone else really affected by this. It annoys me as I've got a player who has amazing attributes except average physical ones, yet he is only 2 1/2 potential (granted I've got a good team in comparison) I find it really hard to persist with players who my scouts don't rate as it feels they're constricted to being destined to becoming average. I've started ignoring my scouts on one or two of them and just going by my own gut instinct.
Star ratings are the opinions of your scouts/coaches. Scout the players more to remove some uncertainty, but with young players, scouts will almost always have uncertainties. It's a chance you take.

They can be wrong. Even a 20/20 scout can be wrong sometimes. 4 1/2 black stars are exactly that. Black stars. Uncertainty. Also, don't forget, once they arrive at your club, they're being rated by the *** Man or Coaches, not your scout.

You can't get 50-80m. That doesn't make it universally true. As Ajax, I've already sold players for 62m and 72m. Last year (FM14), I managed a sale of £102m.

It's not that they don't want these players. They may not have the money or the player may not be interested in a move to those that do.

It's also basic business - If you put him up for sale, you don't need him and he'll fetch a lower value. I player on form who you're not looking to sell will fetch higher prices/offers.

The AI clubs do not want to sell their hottest prospects. That's why you're given ridiculous prices to pay. If you're the bigger club, you can try to unsettle him and you will have to be patient in some cases.

Be more open to receiving installments. You can get big sales that way.

It's always going to be easier for us. We're better at spotting the good players. Always have been; always will be. The rich clubs, like real life, might fall for a player in the form of his life and their scouting reports will say that he's a 3 or 4 star player. Transfer flops, like real life, happens.

Obviously? It depends how good they are, but almost every 18 year old wants a chance to prove themselves. Send them on loan or refuse their request of you don't want to play them. Young players need game time to really improve and that's what they're after.

Star ratings are the opinions of your scouts/coaches. Scout the players more to remove some uncertainty, but with young players, scouts will almost always have uncertainties. It's a chance you take.

They can be wrong. Even a 20/20 scout can be wrong sometimes. 4 1/2 black stars are exactly that. Black stars. Uncertainty. Also, don't forget, once they arrive at your club, they're being rated by the *** Man or Coaches, not your scout.
So you didn't put those players you received big money for up for sale?

Was it mostly over 48 months, spread?

Just I'd like to sell my star players to make the game more challenging and bring through my next generation of players.

I just don't want to get ripped off and sell them for face value which isn't their market value in relative terms to other transfers

So you didn't put those players you received big money for up for sale?
Of course not! By transfer listing them, I'm advertising that I want to sell, so I'll get low offers.

Was it mostly over 48 months, spread?

It varies. Mostly 12 months, but the odd deal is 24 months.

Just I'd like to sell my star players to make the game more challenging and bring through my next generation of players.

I just don't want to get ripped off and sell them for face value which isn't their market value in relative terms to other transfers

I don't "plan" to sell my best players, ever. I get a good deal and decide to sell. Fortunately, there will be a younger backup who'll always be able to take over. The high offers I've received have always been for players I don't really want to sell. On occasion I'll get a high-ish offer (40m) and negotiate it up to something I can't say no to. They either back off or pay it. Either way, I win.

I don't see the 200% option, guess that has gone from FM 2015?

My DoF is useless, can't even sell players for their transfer value despite being a regular starter and a world class player

My DoF is useless, can't even sell players for their transfer value despite being a regular starter and a world class player
It's not as clear cut as that, as I've tried to explain.

Also, how many leagues do you have loaded and what's the size of the database?

I agree with this, but the OP asked about big money. Transfers for much more than their value.
I've loaded large with Spain, Germany, England, France.

Was thinking of loading Russia for maybe big money fees?

I agree with this, but the OP asked about big money. Transfers for much more than their value.
I don't want loads more, just seems AI clubs can sell below average players for way above their transfer value whereas I'm currently struggling to sell world class players for their actual value. Not sure what's going on tbh.

I've had it once or twice where I've sold a player way above value but it seems a bit of a rarity.

I don't want loads more, just seems AI clubs can sell below average players for way above their transfer value whereas I'm currently struggling to sell world class players for their actual value. Not sure what's going on tbh.

I've had it once or twice where I've sold a player way above value but it seems a bit of a rarity.
Transfer listing is going to guarantee that you're going to sell him at value or less. Do you set asking prices? That helps.

I've loaded large with Spain, Germany, England, France.

Was thinking of loading Russia for maybe big money fees?
You could have gone with a smaller database with those few leagues. It's not helping your situation.

You could have gone with a smaller database with those few leagues. It's not helping your situation.
How is a larger database detrimental out of interest?

I do set asking prices.

So would you recommend any other leagues to open up that might get me more prospective buyers

How is a larger database detrimental out of interest?

I do set asking prices.

So would you recommend any other leagues to open up that might get me more prospective buyers
You're flooding the market with players (most likely free agents etc) who will be cheaper to buy/sign. Only those 4 leagues will actively be looking to buy, so you have a massive supply with little demand. If the AI clubs find cheaper targets, they won't buy your players. You'll get the bigger fees from the leagues you loaded and maybe Italy too, but you'll be better off either loading more leagues or going with a smaller database. The database issue is only for the first few years. After a few years, things will settle down and the free agent players will have retired.

You're flooding the market with players (most likely free agents etc) who will be cheaper to buy/sign. Only those 4 leagues will actively be looking to buy, so you have a massive supply with little demand. If the AI clubs find cheaper targets, they won't buy your players. You'll get the bigger fees from the leagues you loaded and maybe Italy too, but you'll be better off either loading more leagues or going with a smaller database. The database issue is only for the first few years. After a few years, things will settle down and the free agent players will have retired.
Thanks, I'll load up Italy and perhaps Russia

Thanks, I'll load up Italy and perhaps Russia

No thats not what he said. He said big database floods the market. But the more leagues you can load up the bigger the chances for selling your players.

Russia and Ukraine both have teams with money who tend to make loads of offer.

Back