• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 5K

Steve*

Y.N.W.A.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Was just bored earlier and went about setting up my own FM site.
Its called FM-Ireland purely because most of the good names were gone. It has a similar layout to Base.
However Im not trying to rob our fanbase, just simply to give an alternative.
One great addition it has is a FB style chat bar for online users.
Still in the process of setting up subforums so it still looks a little rough around the edges.
Anyway If anybody wants feel free to check it out and let me know if you like it :)
Steve :)

Link to Website here:
FM-Ireland

nice site

but wont be joining :)

Thanks Callum for the nice words :)

Dont expect a lot to sign up as most people just stick with base but its just for a bit of fun. :)

Edit: Also have a Rant subforum where you can basically give out about what ****** you off big time without risk of infractions or bans. Once your not insulting other members :P

Constructive feedback.

1 - Very low target audience, i doubt many people who are not Irish will join. I doubt many Irish people will join also.

2 - That is a pretty horrid green skin.

3 - Chat bar will take a lot away from the discussion in the forums.

4 - Being bored isnt a good reason for setting up a fm forum. Probably one of the worst reasons I have heard.

5 - Your too power hungry, calm down.

Constructive feedback.

1 - Very low target audience, i doubt many people who are not Irish will join. I doubt many Irish people will join also.

4 - Being bored isnt a good reason for setting up a fm forum. Probably one of the worst reasons I have heard.

Ok well everybodys entitled to their opinion mate. I will go about answering your 5 points here now.

1. As i mentioned I only chose FM-Ireland as I couldnt think of a more suitable name at the time. This may be changed in time once I purchase a dedicated Domain. So nationality has nothing to do with it. Out of 7 members so far only 3 are Irish.
2. The page was only set up a few hours ago and I chose one of the only football skins. I originally started with a purple skin. Will work in future to make a proper skin for the forum if it generates interest.
3. Chat bar came as standard on the host server. I can only seeing this as being for private conversations as most people that have a view will want other people to see their points.
4. I have thought about setting up a Forum for a while, it wasnt spur of the moment. There are several ideas i would like to implement over time and will be revealed in due course. It was just I actually had nothing else to do this evening so finally plunged into web design, havnt done anything like this before.
5. I dont see where power comes into the equation at all... Sure there is the ability to ban people from the forum but this will only be done if there is a case of bullying or racism.

I also dont care how much of a success or failure this site is once people enjoy it as that is the main point of it.

Forum sections updated. Story section added.

Can anybody reccomend a good place for Domain names that arent too expensive? And also sites that offer web advertising?

I've signed up and although I won't be spending too much time on it for the time-being (could easily change) It'd be nice for it to go relatively big with a nice community so we'll see,couple of points:

1) very small, but the time before you change it is set to 5 hours ahead to GMT (it asks to change it at the start though) i still think it would be better to try and see if you can set it to GMT

2) there are A LOT of fm sites around and I feel it would be best to try marketing it for FM 2012 as soon as you can to get fresh members etc

Ok well everybodys entitled to their opinion mate. I will go about answering your 5 points here now.

1. As i mentioned I only chose FM-Ireland as I couldnt think of a more suitable name at the time. This may be changed in time once I purchase a dedicated Domain. So nationality has nothing to do with it. Out of 7 members so far only 3 are Irish.
2. The page was only set up a few hours ago and I chose one of the only football skins. I originally started with a purple skin. Will work in future to make a proper skin for the forum if it generates interest.
3. Chat bar came as standard on the host server. I can only seeing this as being for private conversations as most people that have a view will want other people to see their points.
4. I have thought about setting up a Forum for a while, it wasnt spur of the moment. There are several ideas i would like to implement over time and will be revealed in due course. It was just I actually had nothing else to do this evening so finally plunged into web design, havnt done anything like this before.
5. I dont see where power comes into the equation at all... Sure there is the ability to ban people from the forum but this will only be done if there is a case of bullying or racism.

1 - You should have your forums name decided before you open it.
2 - Again, you should have your skin before opening it.
3 - I think it will take away from discussion but maybe it wont.
4 - I think this will be on of those forums that last less than a month. It seems very spur of the moment if you hadnt thought of a name when opening it.
5 - Power comes in to play as you have been making it pretty obvious that you want to be a mod here, now that its unlikely that there will be new staff here you have made your own forum.

I've signed up and although I won't be spending too much time on it for the time-being (could easily change) It'd be nice for it to go relatively big with a nice community so we'll see,couple of points:

1) very small, but the time before you change it is set to 5 hours ahead to GMT (it asks to change it at the start though) i still think it would be better to try and see if you can set it to GMT

2) there are A LOT of fm sites around and I feel it would be best to try marketing it for FM 2012 as soon as you can to get fresh members etc

Cheers Sid, always nice to get feedback like that. :)

1. Yeah its very small but I only started the invites and only plugged it on here after 11pm so havnt got many members. Iv changed it to gmt on my profile, didnt realise it wasnt GMT for everybody else, will get about to this tomorrow. :)

2. That was my intention to have it set up now. To give it a trial run for FM11 before FM12 comes out. By then hopefully we will have quite a few active members and it will be a bit more lively :)

Cheers Sid, always nice to get feedback like that. :)

1. Yeah its very small but I only started the invites and only plugged it on here after 11pm so havnt got many members. Iv changed it to gmt on my profile, didnt realise it wasnt GMT for everybody else, will get about to this tomorrow. :)

2. That was my intention to have it set up now. To give it a trial run for FM11 before FM12 comes out. By then hopefully we will have quite a few active members and it will be a bit more lively :)

For number 1 i didn't mean the site was very small, i meant it was a small thing, but I mean it isn't not GMT so to say it's just you have to set it to GMT it's a ting niggle but these things count ;)

nice green site steve. it looked like my screen was full of chlorine at first, lol

i might, later in life. :P

Thanks Callum for the nice words :)

Dont expect a lot to sign up as most people just stick with base but its just for a bit of fun. :)

Edit: Also have a Rant subforum where you can basically give out about what ****** you off big time without risk of infractions or bans. Once your not insulting other members :P

Expect one soon about my club ;)

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

But back OT, very nice, neat, tidy and well organised. Excellent job for doing it in a short space of time

1 - You should have your forums name decided before you open it.
2 - Again, you should have your skin before opening it.
3 - I think it will take away from discussion but maybe it wont.
4 - I think this will be on of those forums that last less than a month. It seems very spur of the moment if you hadnt thought of a name when opening it.
5 - Power comes in to play as you have been making it pretty obvious that you want to be a mod here, now that its unlikely that there will be new staff here you have made your own forum.

Sigh...Points 1,2 and 4 basically say the same thing. The reasoning behind it was to get peoples general opinion before commiting myself to this long term. This is essentially a beta at the minute. If it becomes popular enough I will in time get a dedicated server like V Bulletin(200 quid) and also get a proper proxy/ip(between 10 and 50 quid a year). As you can see setting up a forum cant exactly be spur of the moment. I have researched the costs and will only do so if It is viable to do so. As regards the name, there is a FM-Britain so why not Ireland. Its only a name and I have mentioned to members already that When selecting an IP I will consider a name change that members will feel appropriate.

And about point 5. I simply highlited a few flaws on this website and asked if there was a need for a late night moderator. I never asked to become a moderator. A few of my mates had a laugh and suggested i would make a good one. Im sick of saying that I would apply if the right opportunity arose. I never protested to become a mod. Also I received a PM from Sean who took my points into consideration and gave me a polite reply. At no point has it been suggested that there will not be any new staff. It wouldnt be practical to do so now as the site hasnt been that busy. I set the new forum up as an escape from here, with different topics and a more relaxed attitude(such as the rant thread). However I will still be very active on this forum regardless of my own sucess/failure.

Cheers LOL_101 and ajt09. Look forward to seeing you both on there in future :)

Constructive feedback.

Constructive feedback my **** this sounds like criticism!

1. If you would have read the OP you would have seen that it was not targeted for Irish people but it was just a name because all of the other good ones were taken.

2. I love the green skin and look at other comments and you will see others do as well.

3. Like what Steve said, it is for private chats and you can't discuss things with everyone over chat where as you can with discussion.

4. Just simply,...
**** OFF!!
(do not view spoiler as you may be offended :))

5. Shut up and mind your own business if you aren't going to join and if you don't like it then keep your "constructive feedback" to yourself.

(to all admins, members, and others, I am sincerely sorry for my language and in future reference I will control it.)

Last edited:
Sigh...Points 1,2 and 4 basically say the same thing. The reasoning behind it was to get peoples general opinion before commiting myself to this long term. This is essentially a beta at the minute. If it becomes popular enough I will in time get a dedicated server like V Bulletin(200 quid) and also get a proper proxy/ip(between 10 and 50 quid a year). As you can see setting up a forum cant exactly be spur of the moment. I have researched the costs and will only do so if It is viable to do so. As regards the name, there is a FM-Britain so why not Ireland. Its only a name and I have mentioned to members already that When selecting an IP I will consider a name change that members will feel appropriate.
1,2 & 4 come down to bad planning or no planning/spur of the moment. Obviously you arent going to fork out money for it yet but there was nothing stopping you thinking of a name you where happy with before opening a forum.
You have researched the costs now after setting up the forum.
The fact that you are promoting a rant thread as a feature that sets you apart from other forums says a lot to me tbh.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Constructive feedback my **** this sounds like criticism!

1. If you would have read the OP you would have seen that it was not targeted for Irish people but it was just a name because all of the other good ones were taken.

2. I love the green skin and look at other comments and you will see others do as well.

3. Like what Steve said, it is for private chats and you can't discuss things with everyone over chat where as you can with discussion.

4. Just simply,...
**** OFF!!
(do not view spoiler as you may be offended :))

5. Shut up and mind your own business if you aren't going to join and if you don't like it then keep your "constructive feedback" to yourself.

(to all admins, members, and others, I am sincerely sorry for my language and in future reference I will control it.)

4_i-dunno-lol.jpg

Just get lost Shay Given and stop complaining, if you think your so good at it then show us, and set up your own forum, 'ay?

Woah peeps-calm skins down lol. Arguing gets nowhere-just fills up the thread with bickering. Last thing Steve wants to see lol

Back