FM11 Start Up and Match Engine Review

Kris

Reaction score
First off let me start by saying this is the first time I have written a ‘review’ so I have no idea if there is a certain way it should be written or a ‘code’ in which to follow, so please be gentle with me.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to play the beta version of the game and I just wanted to share my thoughts and impressions with the forum. As Sean and Redders are also providing guides, mine will focus on the below:

• Introduction
  • Getting Started
  • Match Engine/Tactics
  • My Thoughts.

I can say however that this is a completely impartial write up and I have absolutely no bias towards Sports Interactive or SEGA.

Start Up.

As most of us will be aware, football manager can take a decade to load up and this version seems no different. However this is part and parcel with most games these days and if it didn’t faze you before it won’t now. You will also notice that the main screen hasn’t changed from previews years either.

picture.php

Loading New Game

picture.php

Graphics from fm-base look quite snazzy

As you can see from the screenshot above, the new game screen has been amended. Playable league’s now appear horizontally and in continental order. I for one prefer this than the traditional vertical list we have grown accustomed to, sorting league’s is a lot easier to control for those who want to maximise there game experience and as you can see, chosen league’s will appear in bold.

picture.php

Getting StartedThe usual routine

This is one area I am rather disappointed in, although the skin is different and everything is organised down the right hand side (as per screenshot) I still feel your introduction as manager is monotonous.

I am mainly talking about the press conferences; once again you attend the same dreary press conference, getting asked the same questions as previous seasons. It cannot be too hard to come up with ways to re-phrase the questions or come up with new ones entirely.

However as you can see, we now have the option to ‘skip’ the initial press welcome.

picture.php

But be warned, it has its repercussions.

picture.php

Another plus side is that it is one click answers and not ‘clicks and then submits’.

Choosing your goals for the season is also the same as usual, with the addition of a ‘finance tab’ allowing you to check the balance before making commitments for the year ahead. You can also see transfer and wage limits next to each goal.

picture.php

Match Engine.

The main reason I went off FM10 was just exactly this. There have been exploits and flaws to the game engine going back as far as ‘El Diablo’ for the old Championship Manager days, the creation of the 2d and now 3d pitch has led to even more fundamental errors and problems with the game.

SI have never really dealt with the ‘corner bug’ which can leave Rio Ferdinand with the golden boot ahead of Rooney, Torres and Eto’o with 35 goals a season (why doesn’t anyone mark him?)

I had such high hopes for the new tactic design which was implemented for fm10. Finally we could create tactics to suit modern day football and implement them based on player ability and play to the strengths and weaknesses of your squad. SI even went to the trouble of adding ‘Coaching advice’ which was given by your staff, informing you that your squad are ‘amongst the slowest in the league’ which would lead you to believe a slower pace. It turns out it was irrelevant as tactical exploits were all that mattered, leading to many a successful 4-3-3 formation and the use of wingers becoming obsolete.

I decided to give the famous Mr Hough formation a run for its money on the beta to see if issues have been resolved. I have also added the ‘corner cheat’

picture.php

As you can see from my results, the formation has not worked out as it would have on fm10 and not one of my defenders was able to find the net. Is there hope for this game after all?

picture.php

Visually

The match engine has improved visually, a lot more detail has been put into grounds and the fans, which ads to the realism. The replay function has been expanded, allowing you to decide how quickly you watch the replays and from which angle.

This is a useful feature as I found watching replays and highlights a chore and wasn’t ever keen on always adjusting my game speed.

Speed

I can’t comment on the speed of the match engine, for me it is flawless and runs very smooth. This may determine on computer performance.

Gameplay

The game play does seem a lot more realistic and player movement has improved. It no longer has the arcade or sensible soccer feel from previous years. There is nothing new to report on game speed options.

Thoughts

To me it is just FM10 with a few extra gimmicks that will be fun for a week or so then slowly get tiresome like so many other features, I like the new lay out for loading a game and that i don’t need to do one single press conference.

Is it justifiable paying £30+ for the same game plus a few extra features? To me, no! I feel the age of database/spreadsheet games has gone and that football manager has fallen behind on my list of wants, It was an effort getting past pre season. That is just me though. If you love football manager, you will love this game. It appears as though tactics which trick the match engine, intentional or not are eradicated, wither or not people find new ways is to be seen.

seeing all these threads by the mods about fm11 is making me want it more :D

Very interesting Kris. I share your views on many things, especially the last paragraph.

Nice review. :)

Good to see Mr hough and the corner cheat hasn't been effective, should leave many people disappointed but I'm sure a bug or glitch will be found in the game soon enough.

Good guide Kris :wub:

Nice one Kris
I feel the same way about buying it again but I'll get it this year but if it's basically the same next year I might give it a miss

how come u got to play beta version and how

im not tryin to dis u if thats wat u think

Thoughts

To me it is just FM10 with a few extra gimmicks that will be fun for a week or so then slowly get tiresome like so many other features, I like the new lay out for loading a game and that i don’t need to do one single press conference.

Is it justifiable paying £30+ for the same game plus a few extra features? To me, no! I feel the age of database/spreadsheet games has gone and that football manager has fallen behind on my list of wants, It was an effort getting past pre season. That is just me though. If you love football manager, you will love this game. It appears as though tactics which trick the match engine, intentional or not are eradicated, wither or not people find new ways is to be seen.

But it isn't the full game you've played? Is it?

how did u get the beta version ???

He's a Moderator on FM Base, he could have you assassinated if he wanted.(K)

(As admin of a successful fan site, Sean was allowed to have the BETA along with Redders, Lee and Kris).

As you can see from my results, the formation has not worked out as it would have on fm10 and not one of my defenders was able to find the net. Is there hope for this game after all?

According to your screenshot, Vidic got 2 and Brown got one :p

Anyways, game looks very similar to FM2010, although that's just the look of the game. The actual play of the game could be completely different, although it doesn't sound like it is. I'm probably going to get it, but doubt I'll get it straigh away.

Cheers for this Kris, you may have just saved me £25+ :)

Good review. Makes me think if I really should buy the game...

According to your screenshot, Vidic got 2 and Brown got one :p

Anyways, game looks very similar to FM2010, although that's just the look of the game. The actual play of the game could be completely differentQUOTE]

To be fair those goals were in friendly matches, I am not counting them :)

I will continue to test these tactics as much as I can before release and update this thread with my findings.

It's the exact same, there is not much else you can do to change a game like football manager.

I have pre ordered mine already ang cannot wait. In any case my FM10 copy does not want to work anymore after I installed Windows 7