FM11 Start Up and Match Engine Review

Do you think the tactical side is more realistic though kris? I mean, in FM10, you could pick a formation and stick with it, ignoring the suggestions of your coaching staff. I was hoping that in FM11 you might have to try and exploit opposition weaknesses more in order to win

Do you think the tactical side is more realistic though kris? I mean, in FM10, you could pick a formation and stick with it, ignoring the suggestions of your coaching staff. I was hoping that in FM11 you might have to try and exploit opposition weaknesses more in order to win

I I would actually; I have yet to notice a single fault with the tactical side or the match engine.

I started a game with AC Milan and set up a brand new formation, one which resembles modern day Chelsea with Ibrahimovic up top on his own with Robinho and Pato playing wide as inside forwards two central midfielders, anchor man and a solid back four

I then looked at the players available to me and decided a 4-3-3 and Anceloti’s old 4-1-2-1-2 should be used in the match preparation.

As you play your team become more familiar with your playing style and tactics, giving you the option to change about for certain opponents or because of injuries/suspensions.

This accounts for everything from pressing more to playing a fluid system. The match preparations also help those who watch there matches with the 3d pitch. If you notice (like I did) that you are not scoring enough but dominating play. I changed to ‘concentrate on attack’ and changed there workload on the subject to high, within a game or two we were scoring more frequently.

I I would actually; I have yet to notice a single fault with the tactical side or the match engine.

I started a game with AC Milan and set up a brand new formation, one which resembles modern day Chelsea with Ibrahimovic up top on his own with Robinho and Pato playing wide as inside forwards two central midfielders, anchor man and a solid back four

I then looked at the players available to me and decided a 4-3-3 and Anceloti’s old 4-1-2-1-2 should be used in the match preparation.

As you play your team become more familiar with your playing style and tactics, giving you the option to change about for certain opponents or because of injuries/suspensions.

This accounts for everything from pressing more to playing a fluid system. The match preparations also help those who watch there matches with the 3d pitch. If you notice (like I did) that you are not scoring enough but dominating play. I changed to ‘concentrate on attack’ and changed there workload on the subject to high, within a game or two we were scoring more frequently.
cheers for that kris. the one major thing i wanted was a revamp of the ME and in turn the tactical side, and it seems, that so far its working very well.

also I know there will always be a delay in implementing the new tactical trends, but how close do you they have got to modern day tactics; i.e. do inside forwards work as well as they should, is there lateral movement so centrebacks spread to cover the space left by advancing fullbacks

Last edited:
Great, thanks Kris. Just what I was hoping to hear! :)

Last edited:
cheers for that kris. the one major thing i wanted was a revamp of the ME and in turn the tacticaly side, and it seems, that so far its working very well.

also I know there will always be a delay in implementing the new tactical trends, but how close do you they have got to modern day tactics; i.e. do inside forwards work as well as they should, is there lateral movement so centrebacks spread to cover the space left by advancing fullbacks

I am only now starting to appreciate the game and it probably does merit purchasing, I don’t think you find most of the new features out until you really get into the game.

I don’t think Overload is as effective as it was, compared to last year. It was something that often helped me out last year. My team talks don’t seem to be doing it either.

Each players motivation is next to there fitness level at half time so you can see what to say to each player, last year was horrible having to go into the split screen then motivation then try and memorise how each player was so I could talk to them all individually.

I retract my negative comments regarding the media to a degree, most of the same monotonous questions are still there but they have mixed it up slightly, each press officer has a different personality but I have yet to be miss quoted or anything.

I will post a screenshot when I can but on my manager screen it also says how approachable you are with players and media. My door is always open apparently. You also now have favourite and disliked staff.

One thing that has been annoying me more than most is the ‘fan expectation’ this was an issue in a previous version of the game with Hull fans ‘unhappy’ at a 1-0 home loss to Man Utd, I drew 0-0 away to Inter and the fans were unhappy.

To answer your question, finally! Yes I do think certain positions have been looked into and improved, inside forward seems to be one of them. Anchor man is another that I have noted improvement on.

As for centre backs spreading and covering for advancing full backs, I cannot comment. You will no doubt know Milan don’t exactly have much pace with Zambrotta and Jankolovski. I have my backline sitting deep. I do notice however that the cover & stopper system is working better than the last version.

I will post some more screenshots up when I get home to show you some of the things I have been talking about.

Is it justifiable paying £30+ for the same game plus a few extra features? To me, no! I feel the age of database/spreadsheet games has gone and that football manager has fallen behind on my list of wants, It was an effort getting past pre season. That is just me though. If you love football manager, you will love this game. It appears as though tactics which trick the match engine, intentional or not are eradicated, wither or not people find new ways is to be seen.

Great review Kris. Think I will play the demo before handing over the cash

Just out of interest what is a database / spreadsheet game ?

are there any dribbling tricks in the 3d match? it seems to me the modern game is so much more than running with the ball.. ronaldo, zidane whatever, they all tries tricks in game which fm09/10 does not deliver..

Great review Kris. Think I will play the demo before handing over the cash

Just out of interest what is a database / spreadsheet game ?

Well that is all FM is when you break it down, a spreadsheet with facts and information with a **** of a lot of coding.

are there any dribbling tricks in the 3d match? it seems to me the modern game is so much more than running with the ball.. ronaldo, zidane whatever, they all tries tricks in game which fm09/10 does not deliver..

I have not really seen anything like that but I play at a fast pace from the 'main stand' camera angle which makes it hard to notice such things.

like every year I've pre-ordered mine and have to say what I've seen so far really looking forward to this version....thanks for the insight.....i'm counting the days.

this game is so addictive, it's the best out there !!!

I think my missus is dreading the 5th of November, she wont be seeing much of me that weekend !!......2nd thoughts maybe she's looking forward to it !

well, any new 'preferred moves' u notice? cos fm07 had quite a great set of it n they just took some away.. cuts inside in fm10 is very ineffective, as players do not run diagonally (like messi) but vertically and short pass it.. so stupid.

As promised here are some more screenshots showing how my players have adapted to my formations and my manager profile showing my love for wee Carlo and my disdain for Rafa.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

only on 17,250 Euro at Milan, Kris you are being ripped off. Looks good cant wait to get it.

if you could you please tell me about the youngsters at man utd if they have better attributes like pogba and morrison and the new ones like enkangamene

thanks

Good stuff Kris. You made my day with those quite sexy logos on the screens:D

As much as your last paragraph says it is bascally FM10 with a few tweaks that could have been done with maybe a patch, everyone will buy it anyways.:p