FM20: Who Should I Manage?

dupz

Premium
Reaction score
10c71b68570853.5b61ad5e3cdf8.jpg

WHO SHOULD I MANAGE ?

Are you looking for a specific team to manage ?
Looking for the most fun teams with the best youth facilities or bad ones ?
A challenge, philosophy or others.

Discuss with others and get the help for your managing career.

Last edited by a moderator:
This year I decided to try something more unusual than English League (as every year almost) - I took over Inter Miami and am trying to make some history with this club, before I will start looking for new challenges. It's quite interesting, whole league and transfer model is really interesting in USA, so I can definitely recommend this kind of a game for people who are looking for something a bit newish :).

This year I decided to try something more unusual than English League (as every year almost) - I took over Inter Miami and am trying to make some history with this club, before I will start looking for new challenges. It's quite interesting, whole league and transfer model is really interesting in USA, so I can definitely recommend this kind of a game for people who are looking for something a bit newish :).
Sounds interesting. Is it complicated to buy players with the transferrules? ☺️ Dont think I ever played with an US team.

Hello,
This year, I will play F.C.Andorra in "Segunda Division B de Espana Grupo III" (3rd spanish league) and Andorra as national team.
Hardly focus on youth facilities but not a lifeban.
I will activate Andorra League (Timo custom DB) to get more regen for the national team.

Sounds interesting. Is it complicated to buy players with the transferrules? ☺ Dont think I ever played with an US team.

It is complicated a bit at the beginning. In all the sports I know from US, they have something like salary cap, it exists also in MLS but it's just not called like that.
Basically, you got normal transfer budget and salary budget, but you will not be allowed to use all of it. Let say you got 15mil in transfer budget, but you're allowed to use only 3,5mil throughout a season.
Salary budget is also limited to some number per season, but there are some rules that gives you an exceptions - that's why clubs can afford to have people like Zlatan there. It's called a Star player contract. You can have maximum 3 players like this in your club. Their salary is not counting towards your Salary Cap limit as a whole, so no matter that you need to pay Zlatan 450k - it will take only 8k from your salary limit :).
Additionally, you can swap players between MLS teams without really paying for it, you simply swapping player for another player and/or plus some other options, like for example place in draft, extra foreigner space in team or extra money towards your limited transfer budget.
Not sure if my english is enough to perfectly explain all of it.
Anyway - IT IS interesting and you need to use transfers with some strategy, you can't just buy players as you want with all money you've got there. Thanks to it league is also more equal.
Might sound a bit complicated, but trust me, it's not that bad and hard to get it :).

Sometimes I think the best thing is to go into the game unemployed without a plan and see where you end up! I've done that with my European Journeyman save and ended up at a tiny little Welsh club called Conwy Borough! My wage budget is £14 per week and when I first got the job, I thought there is no way I would get into it. Approaching the final 3rd of my first season and absolutely loving it!!

It is complicated a bit at the beginning. In all the sports I know from US, they have something like salary cap, it exists also in MLS but it's just not called like that.
Basically, you got normal transfer budget and salary budget, but you will not be allowed to use all of it. Let say you got 15mil in transfer budget, but you're allowed to use only 3,5mil throughout a season.
Salary budget is also limited to some number per season, but there are some rules that gives you an exceptions - that's why clubs can afford to have people like Zlatan there. It's called a Star player contract. You can have maximum 3 players like this in your club. Their salary is not counting towards your Salary Cap limit as a whole, so no matter that you need to pay Zlatan 450k - it will take only 8k from your salary limit :).
Additionally, you can swap players between MLS teams without really paying for it, you simply swapping player for another player and/or plus some other options, like for example place in draft, extra foreigner space in team or extra money towards your limited transfer budget.
Not sure if my english is enough to perfectly explain all of it.
Anyway - IT IS interesting and you need to use transfers with some strategy, you can't just buy players as you want with all money you've got there. Thanks to it league is also more equal.
Might sound a bit complicated, but trust me, it's not that bad and hard to get it :).

Aaah okey , maybe its time for me to test the US then :) Thanks for the very good info :)

I need help with choosing a new club.
Am abit tired of the biggest leagues and wanted a smaller club with good youth system , in smaller leagues.

The ones im considering is
Slovan Bratislava
Red Star Belgrade
Shakthar Donetsk
Dinamo Zagreb

Steaua Bucarest

Does anyone got experience in those Eastern leagues ? Are they fun ?

Hello,
This year, I will play F.C.Andorra in "Segunda Division B de Espana Grupo III" (3rd spanish league) and Andorra as national team.
Hardly focus on youth facilities but not a lifeban.
I will activate Andorra League (Timo custom DB) to get more regen for the national team.

I am also going to play F.C. Andorra as my longsave, but I will start unemployed as a sunday league coach (I want to be as realistic as possible) and hope I will end up with F.C. Andorra in a couple of season.

Am abit tired of the biggest leagues and wanted a smaller club with good youth system , in smaller leagues.

Slovan Bratislava
Red Star Belgrade
Shakthar Donetsk
Dinamo Zagreb

Steaua Bucarest

I've always thought about playing an Eastern European league but I get worried that teams like Red Star or Steaua just dominate their leagues due to Champions League money and It might be quite dull domestically. I'd be curious to see how this works out whoever you choose.

Slovan Bratislava
Red Star Belgrade
Shakthar Donetsk
Dinamo Zagreb

Steaua Bucarest

Last year I had a long save going with Hajduk Split, over the course of about 10 seasons and gradually progressing further into European competitions the reputation of the league grew massively and it was great fun

I've stickied this thread, I can see it's helped people already and sure it will continue doing so!

After trying several of my usual saves I decided set myself a challenge. Last year I had (and still have) a challenge starting at Salford with the aim of getting to manage one of the big two in Manchester (I've not quite got there yet but I am managing in the Premiership after 5 seasons). I've decided this year however to take that challenge one step further and to start with one of the two Greater Manchester clubs in the Conference North (Altrincham and Curzon Ashton) but with a limit of only managing clubs from the Greater Manchester area, any job offers from non-Manchester clubs are to be rejected. Thankfully there are a few clubs in the league pyramid from the area even despite the recent demise of Bury :( . Ultimate aim is to get to the top of Greater Manchester Football (it doesn't have to include managing United or City) by winning the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions league in one season.

Anybody looking for an interesting challenge should get their hands on a database that opens up the Italian lower leagues and have a look at taking in Palermo in Serie D. They were demoted after financial irregularities and are now in the fourth tier, the standard is quite poor in comparison to the English fourth tier but Palermo are the strongest team in the league for sure with a few players playing way below their level

An interesting twist you face is that pretty much everyone at the club, players and staff alike are only on one year deals , so come christmas you start facing 30/40 contract renewals, it was around this time I lost the clubs best player to Basel on a free. I’m going up but losing 3/4 key players but managed to tie down a few too.

Anybody looking for an interesting challenge should get their hands on a database that opens up the Italian lower leagues and have a look at taking in Palermo in Serie D. They were demoted after financial irregularities and are now in the fourth tier, the standard is quite poor in comparison to the English fourth tier but Palermo are the strongest team in the league for sure with a few players playing way below their level

An interesting twist you face is that pretty much everyone at the club, players and staff alike are only on one year deals , so come christmas you start facing 30/40 contract renewals, it was around this time I lost the clubs best player to Basel on a free. I’m going up but losing 3/4 key players but managed to tie down a few too.

Sounds like an interesting challenge. I played as Palermo the last time they went down the divisions a bit. They're certainly set up to be a much bigger club and I'm guessing you still get quite a good turnout from the youth team if there is still a budget for it?

I might have to give it a go after I get bored of Coventry City in the Prem.

Slovan Bratislava
Red Star Belgrade
Shakthar Donetsk
Dinamo Zagreb

Steaua Bucarest

What about Krasnodar from RPL? This club focusing to grow own players + we have insane limit in Russia 17+8 (for second FM season and later)
But they are pretty rich and have good facilities

What about Krasnodar from RPL? This club focusing to grow own players + we have insane limit in Russia 17+8 (for second FM season and later)
But they are pretty rich and have good facilities
sounds interesting.
will try them out :)
thanks for the tip

Do you have a link for the Database would love to try it out???

AC Milan is a good team for medium term. Obviously the challenge isn't the biggest, but there's still enough for it to be interesting.
AZ is a team I wanted to play with too.
And my next challenge will be with my hometown, in french 5th division. IF and when a decent patch comes in, otherwise I'm done.