Reaction score

Ah, well..

Let's start! Several people at this community always have been fascinated by the three strikers tactics. In my opinion, this year the 3ST hasn't worked as in Football Manager other editions. At least, till today. Of course, there are some pretty good ones for the better sides of the league. But are you enjoying the FM16 three strikers tactic like in Football Manager 15?

THE FMBASE 3ST COMMUNITY PROJECT
I started this thread with the hope we can, as a community, create a strong three strikers tactic. I will share a tactic with you and below you can find some more three strikers tactic. With all these three strikers (and maybe some other strong tactics) we can collab these tactics into a new tactic which we all can enjoy. Hope you're in!

THE ATTEMPT
Making a three strikers which is also pretty decent for teams with a prognose like 7th to 12th place clubs, like the Tinkerman tactic from '15, etc.

Let's start with my attempt..

View attachment 189486 View attachment 189485
View attachment 189481

It seems like a good attempt of the Tweebier 2233 Very Fluid Attacking tactic but I can't dominate. The results are better as the original (in my test), but that doesn't say anything with just one test. I am still not happy with my attempt because of..
- I am leaking lots of goals.
- I am leaking lots of chances.
- The tactic doesn't dominate.

Let's see if we can together make some new versions. Make a tweak, upload it in the comments and see if we can make a collab of it or tweak it further. Hope you're in!

I would love to help, really like this formation. I was trying a structured-control approach with not too good results, at least, not so good like yours. Going to try the tactic and tweak the defensive part, but it seems you are scoring for fun.

One question: What do you mean with "the tactic doesn't dominate"? Do you want to have more possession? More CCC?

I would love to help, really like this formation. I was trying a structured-control approach with not too good results, at least, not so good like yours. Going to try the tactic and tweak the defensive part, but it seems you are scoring for fun.

One question: What do you mean with "the tactic doesn't dominate"? Do you want to have more possession? More CCC?
Dominating in terms of shots/chances (not from distance) and CCC's. Good luck and let me know. Hope you can tweak it!

View attachment 189446 View attachment 189445

Attacking corners need to be changed also. Tomorrow I will post some in-match analyse!
Does someone have great standard situations? Please load them up!

View attachment 189444

Enjoyed tweebier's tactic though it was a bit extreme! I think this approach screams for a half back, in fact I tried two HB's in my attempted tweak. Basically it's same tactic as yours with two HB's and a AP/a at AMC, plus a few player instructions (mostly shooting less and tackle harder). Only a few games but very good results and defence seems much more stable. Crossing still lethal with wide strikers getting tons of chances from wingbacks' crosses.

issues to be fixed in this tweak:

- AMC not enough involved despite having tons of free space and chances to drop deep. Other roles and/or duties could be more effective (AP/s? Treq?)

- Poacher not really dangerous as you expect, often acting as a decoy for the DPL's rather than pursuing chances for himself. Probably connected with AMC issue.

- Half backs firing long shots a tad too often when involved offensively (despite instructions).

- Attacking relies basically on crossing and not much else (again due to AMC doing nothing).

In a nutshell, the double HB looks very promising, the rest of my midfield needs much work :)

How involved is the CM a, in your tactic? I find myself liking to use BBMs in the middle because they are a nuisance in defence yet when they get forward they can amass a lot of Key Passes, which would in this case be played to the strikers.

Last edited:
I know this idea could be wrong... but I've seen this too much in my games.

Situation:
D-Line high up on the field. The opposition if fooling around with the ball on defence. At some point the ball goes up to the midfield to a player sitting wide on the field and he shoot a first touch passing to a forward running with your CD. And you think... "OK, relax, track down the player and block his shoot"... BUT that CD has "Tackle Harder" as soon as he reach the forward he try to steal the ball with a spectacular tackle. If he is Pique, Kompany or Sergio Ramos (top team CD) he probably steal the ball, but we are talking of mid-table teams... he will miss (and badly) that tackle... the forward, now, has no opposition and can finish the move alone with no pressure.

What I'm thinking is... Could be better to tick off "Tackle Harder"?
Is "Tackle Harder" a way to say "Tackle always you can"?
Another setting that could be leading to that behaviour is "Get stuck in" but in my tactics I've never set that.

I'm open to your thought.

I know this idea could be wrong... but I've seen this too much in my games.

Situation:
D-Line high up on the field. The opposition if fooling around with the ball on defence. At some point the ball goes up to the midfield to a player sitting wide on the field and he shoot a first touch passing to a forward running with your CD. And you think... "OK, relax, track down the player and block his shoot"... BUT that CD has "Tackle Harder" as soon as he reach the forward he try to steal the ball with a spectacular tackle. If he is Pique, Kompany or Sergio Ramos (top team CD) he probably steal the ball, but we are talking of mid-table teams... he will miss (and badly) that tackle... the forward, now, has no opposition and can finish the move alone with no pressure.

What I'm thinking is... Could be better to tick off "Tackle Harder"?
Is "Tackle Harder" a way to say "Tackle always you can"?
Another setting that could be leading to that behaviour is "Get stuck in" but in my tactics I've never set that.

I'm open to your thought.

If I understand correctly what you are trying to say. Is that you have a problem with deep through balls or something along these lines. You can change a CB to a cover duty make your keeper to a sweeper . And maybe cut the supply from the opponent making one of your cm a ball winning midfielder . They are very aggressive getting the ball back. All these if you don't want to play a deep line against a lob happy team

If I understand correctly what you are trying to say. Is that you have a problem with deep through balls or something along these lines. You can change a CB to a cover duty make your keeper to a sweeper . And maybe cut the supply from the opponent making one of your cm a ball winning midfielder . They are very aggressive getting the ball back. All these if you don't want to play a deep line against a lob happy team

I've already have sweeper keeper on support duty.

I will bring back the CM to DM with BWM on defence and switch DLP to support, lets see what happen.

Thanks for your tips!

I've already have sweeper keeper on support duty.

I will bring back the CM to DM with BWM on defence and switch DLP to support, lets see what happen.

Thanks for your tips!

If this doesn't work you can as I said change your CB to cover . Maybe try faster CBS or drop the defensive line .
Let me know how it goes cheers !

You say 3 strikers doesn't work but I have one working fine with three F9's so meh.

You realise with a poacher and two DLF's what you are doing is making the poacher caught offside quite a bit as the AI doesn't work out if the player is interfering with play or not in moves, just that he's offside. It means the other two forwards continually have there back to goal.

I would imagine goals form this are mainly from the wingbacks firing in crosses, or from the support strikers catching the offside right and putting the striker through the middle.

I downloaded the tactic and wasn't far wrong. The midfield only chip in with the odd goal whereas the fullbacks seem to have a shoot on sight policy when a cut back or low cross would be the preferred option.

You are leaking lots of chances as the tactic is purely built for offence. It's fate is sealed, not with the offence but with the roles you've chosen for the strikers and how they play high up.

Fullbacks of CWB's on attack will do the same role as your wingbacks but not get skullfucked on the break so much as well. You get goals from the fullbacks but the two support MC's do not cover suffciently.

I can tell im tired as the first thing I thought when I saw the title was, "dont you mean 3rd?" lol

I only played 2-3 games with the tactic as it is.
First thing i would change as mentioned is swapping a cm to half back.
Making a CB role from defend to cover with stick to position.
Turning the CM (A) at a BWM (S) with push forward.
Keeping the deep lying playmaker to a support role and finally turning the poacher to advanced forward.
Also tick the shoot less often for all forwards. If I can find the time I'll try it !

I would change the three strikers to as follows

STR and STL become Complete Forward on Attack Duty
STC Becomes a False Nine with roam from position and shoot less often

Dominating in terms of shots/chances (not from distance) and CCC's. Good luck and let me know. Hope you can tweak it!

View attachment 1010239 View attachment 1010240

Attacking corners need to be changed also. Tomorrow I will post some in-match analyse!
Does someone have great standard situations? Please load them up!

nothing to change your tactic , I play with sociedad 10 games and won there nine times and played one in a draw , I've just used your V1 of the opening post and change nothing , just plug and play

Sadly I am not playing FM atm (am I addicted? (H)).

In theory, my setup would be:

GKd
FBa - CDd - CDd - FBa
CMs - BWMd - CMs
F9 - AF - DLFs

PIs would be long to write, it depends

TIs:
Standard - Flexible approach
Higher tempo, mixed passing
Width: Fairly wide or wide
Normal D-line
More closing down
Exploit the middle
Prevent short GK distribution
Use tighter marking
Be more disciplined
Pass into space

But we all know that what works in theory is possibly not working in the game ;)

For anyone using this and still concedes through balls even with cover defender and a bwm to cut the supply try to play more narrow I noticed that the two cb's have a great distance between them

Sadly I am not playing FM atm (am I addicted? (H)).

In theory, my setup would be:

GKd
FBa - CDd - CDd - FBa
CMs - BWMd - CMs
F9 - AF - DLFs

PIs would be long to write, it depends

TIs:
Standard - Flexible approach
Higher tempo, mixed passing
Width: Fairly wide or wide
Normal D-line
More closing down
Exploit the middle
Prevent short GK distribution
Use tighter marking
Be more disciplined
Pass into space

But we all know that what works in theory is possibly not working in the game ;)

Someone to try it? :) This is on standard, but on home matches it could be control.

View attachment 188956View attachment 188955

View attachment 188954

Last edited:
I tested Tweeblers tactic with Celtic and had very mixed feelings about it.

The wingbacks were really key to the performance, if they don't play well, the whole team doesn't play well. I had Leigh Griffiths on 30 goals by Christmas. The first games with the tactic played awesome - I won all my CL qualifiers like 4-0, 5-0, away from home condeded some goals. Then maybe around September/October time, results slipped. In CL, I only won 1 game in my group of Galatasaray, Atletico and Benfica. Beat Gala 2-0 away from home. The other results were terrible, lost 4-1 to Atleti and 7-1 to Benfica. And in the league too, I lost stupid games like 4-1 to Hamilton Academical and high scoring losses to other lower ranked teams.

Some games I was impressed, others I wasn't. I also played on control too.

Maybe someone has the time to test the tactic from post #17? I only got time yesterday for some matches, it was really promising. Control at home and standard away.

Someone to try it? :) This is on standard, but on home matches it could be control.

View attachment 1010766View attachment 1010767

View attachment 1010768
I will absolutely test this out for you. Maybe it is good to have some Testing League. Let's see if I can tweak the TFF tactic testing and play with a prognosed 10th club. With my own tactic I keep getting these kind of results: I win, lots of CCC, but the chances are always in the advantage of the opposition. And yes, that's something I don't like haha.

View attachment 188880 View attachment 188879