Football Diaries - A story about love, trust & deception

Status
Not open for further replies.

potta

Reaction score
This is my first ever story, so any comments, positive/negative are welcome.

15th December 2008

I replayed that moment in my head, over and over again. My eyes started to flicker. FLASH! Everything was blurry, the more I came round, the more I realized there was something wrong, then the inevitable become the evitable, she looked at me with those eyes full of sorrow, I didn’t even want to know, my eyes welled up, even before she told me. It felt like my world fell apart right before my very eyes; she came out with the very words I have been dreading to hear my whole life. “I’m sorry but you won’t be able to play football again”. I couldn’t move, my body stiff, I tried to say something but the words wouldn’t come out; I began to weep, thinking if only. If only I moved a few inches out the way I would still be playing the game I loved since I could remember. What will I do, I cannot stop now, there is still more to achieve.

The next day was worse, I thought I had awoken from this nightmare but it was still there, my decapitated leg, which once used to score goals for fun. I left the hospital on crutches, saddened that I won’t play for England or Newcastle again. I had to think how can I come back, how can I get out of this. I know I can, I know I will beat this if it’s the last thing I do.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

16th December 2008

He couldn’t even look me in the face, I then knew I would never kick a football again, I didn’t even want to stay at training ground , so everyone could see me. A shadow of my former self. I didn’t want to go home, I needed some space, so I got in my car and drove, somewhere, anywhere. I found a quiet little spot to think, and then it hit MANAGEMENT! I already have my coaching certificates; I just need the pro licence.

SIX WEEKS LATER

After weeks of abnormality, I got a call from Chris Hughton. “Adam” “yes” I replied in to joyful manner”. “Me and the backroom staff were thinking..........”. “Thinking what” before he could even finish his sentence, "We would like to offer you a coaching R…..” “YES” Chris laughed “I wouldn’t expect anything less from you, I’ll see you on Monday nice an early” I punched the air, “I’m ready” I told myself. This is the perfect opportunity to get back into football”.

Last edited:
Brilliant OP mate, keep it up. Quite sad reading that about your career, ha! Which makes a good story! maybe follow mine too dude?

Good start m8 :)

An interesting read, but you might want to check some of the words you've used when proofreading your work before posting. Keep it up though -- enjoyed the OP :)

Good start considering it's your first ever story. :)

Nice start mate, can you up the writing size to "3" though, i have to squint! Maybe i just need glasses, good luck.

Brilliant OP mate, keep it up. Quite sad reading that about your career, ha! Which makes a good story! maybe follow mine too dude?

thanks mate, will defo look at your story

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

thanks to everyone who as commented will take everything on board. thx

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

26th February 2009

I was feeling like I was coming into my own with my new coaching role, helping my old team mates, giving vital experience to the youth team players and reporting to Chris Hughton, but something didn’t feel right. I felt I could offer more!? It won’t be long before I complete my coaching badges.

16th March 2009

With Newcastle doing so well and on their way to gaining promotion back to the premier league, I was preparing for my UFEA Pro licence tests, I was feeling quite nervous really, i know I have it in me to become a decent manager, but it was putting it into action, I have learned a lot from Chris & Colin which will hold me in good stead.

30th April 2009

Today was one of the greatest achievements of my life. I passed my Pro licence badges with 94% pass rate. As I pulled up to the training ground to share the good news, I saw Mike Ashley, he looked at me with this sinister smile on his face, i wasn’t quite sure what to think, and if I have to be honest I didn’t care either. I was a Fully Qualified Coach. I told Chris the good news. “Well done Adam, I am very proud of you” I wasn’t convinced, there was a certain tone in his voice that wasn’t believable. “Thank you” I replied. “Same time tomorrow?” There was a long pause “No, for all your hard work I will be giving you an extended holiday. Report back to me on the 28th May” Go celebrate, you deserve it”. . “That’s not necessary I want to work” thinking he might change his mind. “That’s okay we will manage I’ll see you in May.

Last edited:
Another good really update mate, can you do another tonight? I want to find out what happens next!

Enjoying the story writing, and if you didn't align centre, but instead aligned it to the left, it would look that much better and easier to read.

Foofball diaries

27th May 2009

With my holiday coming to a close all I could think about was the new season, I had every angle covered for when I arrive to the training ground on Monday. I even implemented my own training programs, fitness and diet regimes for the new season, which would impress the Newcastle staff. I started my day will my usual workout followed by my cup of coffee and laptop.

I received an e-mail from Mike Ashley;
Dear Mr Porter,

I have decided to terminate your contract with Newcastle United Football Club effective immediately.

Regards
Mike Ashley.

I felt sick, why….why is he doing this to me? Then that image of his face stood clear in my mind, that creepy smile, those pointed eyebrows. The next day I decided to have it out with Ashley, I was there 30 minutes before anyone else, I noticed Derek Llamblas outside the reception with a man I have never seen before. I couldn’t get a good look at his face as he was turned away from me. Maybe it’s just an agent, I thought to myself but the way they acted made me think otherwise, it was almost like some dodgy deal going on when Derek passed him a small package. I decided to have closer look but by the time I got to a safe place the ‘mystery’ man got into a silver car. Mike Ashley was nowhere to be seen that day not even his phone was on.

28th May 2009

The end of an era, that’s what it said on the news today. Mike Ashley has declined to comment. I have hundreds of reporters outside my home. They were like vulture’s ready to pounce on the meat. I opened my front door, SNAP, FLASH, SNAP. It was almost like having an epileptic fit, with those cameras going off in my face. What can I tell them, I love Newcastle it would be wrong to bad mouth the club. So I told the reporters it was a mutual decision, just to keep the piece. I needed to draw a line under it. For now.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Comments would be nice, just to see if im on the right track??

Last edited:
Excellent story. I'm gripped!

25th June 2009

I GET THE CALL

SECRETARY
“Hello is this Mr Porter”.

ADAM

“Speaking”.

SECRETARY

“Hi this is Miss Kingsley I am the secretary at Huddersfield Town. My boss Mr Hoyle wants to arrange a meeting with you for the vacant manager’s job”.

ADAM

“Vacant managers job, I thought to myself……Yeah, sure thing when does he want to see me”.

MISS KINGLEY

“Tomorrow afternoon at 1:30”

ADAM
“I’ll be there”.

GET IN, as I punched the air, my patience has finally paid off. This is the fresh start that I needed, the last six months erased from my memory.

26th June 2009

THE INTERVEIW

I pulled up at the Huddersfield training ground. Wow, I was amazed, it felt like being ten years old again, everything that was going on I was taking in. I prepared myself for this interview, the clubs history, the backroom staff even the groundmens names and pet dogs, it was really that bad but I wanted this. This is my time I kept telling myself, all you have to do now is compose yourself.
“Arrh... Porter how are you?” as he turned towards me. “I am fine thanks, you?” I replied. “Never better, never better”. he had this sort of grin on his face, as if he something about me.
I was in there for 30 minutes and I have never felt so comfortable, I was telling him all my plans for this club, the new training progams I created even the type of players I wanted to bring in. I knew Dean Hoyle was impressed with what I had to say, and I felt I had one foot in the door already.
Just has I was about to leave Deans office I asked “why did lee (Clarke) leave the club” I think I caught him off guard with that one. His eyes went all directions he even started to stutter his words “errrrmm le…lee needed some time to cool off. I think the pressure got to him” “Oh just wondered” I replied. I didn’t believe him. I have known lee since our academy days, he wouldn’t quit it’s not in his nature!?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

any comments will be appreciated

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

28th June 2009

I have had a lot on my mind these last couple of days, my injury, Newcastle, Mike Ashley, the mystery person, even Dean Hoyle and that comment he made about Lee. But maybe it’s me, maybe I am reading too much into everything. My dream of becoming a football manager was looking dim, still no call or e-mails about the Huddersfield job. I could always go into coaching or become someone’s assistant just to gain the experience. I know Hull City are looking for are looking for an Assistant.

5th July 2009

“Thank you, Thank you, I won’t let you down Mr Hoyle, I’ll see you on Monday”. My dream was realized, I am officially the Manager of Huddersfield Town Football Club. What a start to the day, I made a cuppa and got straight onto my laptop. I was going be ready for my first day in charge.

6th July 2009

I was shaking like a leaf, my palms sweaty, I just hope I don’t slur my words to the reporters at the press conference. It went well though. A couple of tricky questions, but nothing I couldn’t handle. It was nearing the end of the press conference I went to have sip of water, then out the corner of my eye, was this man stood in the corner of the room standing tall as if he wanted me to see him. His hair slicked back, arms folded, and those ridicules shades that look to big for face. It clicked that mystery man at the training ground. “Mr Porter” I looked up in surprise “well” dam! I was so fixated on that man I miss what the reporter said. “Sorry, can you repeat that again please” I said. “Why did you leave Newcastle United?” “I told you before it were a mutual agreement” I didn’t want to say anything about it. That part of my life is over now, it’s all about Huddersfield and the future.

Last edited:
7th July 2009

As I drove past the training facilities I saw half dozen players, ready and waiting. That definitely scores bonus points with me. But before I start with the players I decided to call a meeting with the backroom staff. I already knew Terry (McDermott) and Derek (Fazackerley) from my Newcastle days so I already knew what to expect from them. The meeting went well, but being on such a tight budget I felt that I needed to get rid of few staff .I had ten coaches, which for a club in our league was far too much.
Everyone adapted well to my new training schedules. I was very pleased with what I saw at the training ground. I definitely put them through their paces and noticed straight away who would feature in my plans. Overall it was great to be back in football.

SQUAD ANALYSIS

GOALKEEPERS

I have two very good goalkeepers in Alex Smithies and Ian Bennett. Alex will definitely be my number 1, Ian Bennett will provide good cover, but with is age and lack of football over the past years will look to sign another goalkeeper to had a little bit of compitision for the Number 2 slot.

FULLBACKS

If I get my way, I would like cover for each position. And with two fullbacks at the club this is most defiantly the case. I have an up and coming full back in Lee Petier. He has a good first touch, dribbling abilities and the lad knows how to pass a ball, I will add another player for compeition.
Gary Haysmith is the most experience player at the club and will be my first choice leftback. I will look to add a more youthful option to this position.

CENTREBACKS

I have two decent centebacks for this club in Peter and Nathan Clarke who will most likely be fighting to get in the side. Jamie McCombe will be a starter in the side as he as bags of experience at championship level. I will look to bring in a more dynamic centre half to partner him.

MIDFIELDERS

Perhaps my strongest department in terms of experience and youth. I have Damien Johnson on loan from Plymouth for 6 months, like Naysmith, is a very experienced player will defintently be in the first team. Then there’s Joey Gudjonsson a player I admire. Why he is playing in league one is beyond me, this boy as bags of skill, he will most likely be the player to make the chances. Pushing for a place on the team sheet will be Scotty Arfield his young, quick and technically sound, perhaps one for the future? Tom Clark and Antony Kay will most likely be fringe players. If there is some spare money I will look to strengthen, but it is not a priorty.

WINGERS

Anthony Pilkington is a very gifted player he would get in most championship sides, he has the perfect attributes for a winger. Gary Roberts is another good player for this club and like Pilkington will be starters for the side. As for Graeme Carey and Lee Croft who are good players. I have no option but to let these two go, due to wages we are paying them. This could be a mistake but sometimes you have to make these tough decisions.

STRIKERS

In Jordan Rhodes and Joe Garner (on loan) i definitely have two strikers who can kick it at this level. Lee Novak has the potential to become good and will fight it out with Theo Robinson, for a place on the bench. I will look to bring one or two experienced players for this position as my attackers are still young.

Last edited:
10th July 2009

Dean told me that a respectable league position was required for the season ahead. I had a good look at my squad and with five or six new additions to the team, I secretly thought Promotion, Play-offs at the very least, but with an £400,000 transfer budget this was going to be tough. I sat there with my laptop sending e – mails to people I already knew in the game, trying to dig deep in an attempt to find the right quality of player I could bring in on a small fee. My phone rang off the hook. I had two Hot prospects in Koke and Renan Riberio handed to me at once, although they were young , they have great potential, so I snapped them up there and then for a combined fee of 50,000. What a great piece of business I told myself. Still, I need some much needed experience as I still had a youngish squad.

11th July 2009

I acted quickly on another two transfers today, perhaps the biggest in Huddersfield’s recent history.
I signed Steve Finnan,33 and in my opinion is still premiership quality, in fact I still couldn’t believe I had a Champions League winner at our club, his experience will be vital for this club and i hope it makes a good impact on the rest of the squad. Former England International Darius Vassell was my second signing who at 29 still as the pace to unlock most defences, again he will bring bags of experience to the team. I also offered Callum Davenport a trail to prove his fitness.

16th July 2009

Pre-Season training was going very well, everyone was pumped up for the new season and I could see everyone was getting along great. Still I could do with a few more signings. Tony Finnigan called me, to see if I was interested in taking on Marlon King. My first reaction was no chance. But the more he was talking the more I felt this could be a blessing in disguise. “Go on then, I will give him a couple of weeks to prove himself”. I said. With that aside I still needed to add depth to the squad.

25th July 2009

I gave Callum Davenport a two year deal, after not only proving his fitness but producing some good form too. Marlon King was another player who looked good scoring 4 goals , and assisting 6 but there were still question marks about the players past of being a trouble maker, I decided to have meeting with him to discuss this. My loan deal for Michael Tonge was also completed today which will add more completion to the side. Everything is looking great so far maybe a winger and left back and I’m done.

29th July 2009

With Marlon Kings assurances that his trouble making day are over, I decided to take to pity on him and offer Marlon a one year deal, just to safeguard the club, if I have to be honest I thought it was another good signing. I was still looking for a left back as I only have Gary Naysmith. With bids for Patrick van Aanholt , Jeremy Helan and Mathew Briggs all turned down, it looks like I’ll have to wait to nearer the end of the window to bring someone in.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS.

any positive/negative comments would be appreciated!?

I would also like to get comments on my signings, please!?

PRE –SEASON NEWS & RESULTS

This has been a great month for me and the lads, five wins and two very impressive draws. This has put even more confidence in me and the lads to mount a real promotion threat, and with a fresh squad to pick from for the opening day fixture was even more pleasing.

My player of the pre-season as to go to Anthony Pilkington having played all seven games scoring once and assisting five as put him into my starting eleven, no wonder WBA are keeping tabs on him.

18th August 2009

After long and sleepless nights I made my final two signings of the summer transfer window. I managed to persuade Patrick van Aanholt to join the club on a season long loan. I only needed him as back for Naysmith, but Patrick only wanted to join the club if he was guaranteed football, which I could understand, he has bags of talent and will definitely add something different to the team. My second signing may not be familiar to many people, I actually scouted him after some good reports from chief scout Brian Young. Pavel Nekhaychik only cost me £85,000, he has pace in abundance and is not afraid to take others on. Remember this name, because he will become one of the greats for club.

To say I have brought nine players in and spent £125,000 in transfer fees and £29,000 in wages. This is a great achievement and as certainly helped the fiancés at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.