Football Manager 2014 Staff Requirements

mld81

Reaction score
I posted this last year for Football Manager 2013 but the principles are the same as far as I am aware. I thought I would put this together again for this years Football Manager and hopefully it will help out anyone that needs it.
smile.gif

The best thing to suggest is to do a staff search and filter for the relevant criteria, that way you can see who is willing to join you. The relevant criteria is:

Assistant Manager:

Attributes worth considering for this role would be the usual Determination, Discipline and Motivation along with a coaching attribute (if you plan to use them to carry out training). As well as these, Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability would be useful to provide accurate reports of players/opponents. Again, consider Adaptability if he is not from the nation your managing in.

Coaches:

Fitness (Aerobic/Strength) = Fitness, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.
Tactics = Tactical, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.
Ball control = Technical, Mental, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.
Attacking = Attacking, Tactical, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.
Defending = Defending, Tactical, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.
Shooting = Technical, Attacking, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.
Goalkeeping (Shot Stopping) = Goalkeeping, Determination, Discipline, Motivation (& Tactical*)
Goalkeeping (Handling) = Goalkeeping, Determination, Discipline, Motivation (& Technique*)

*credit to Mersk

Although Tactical and Technique appears to play a part, there is still a lack understanding as to what are the exact attributes needed for the best goalkeeping coaches on fm 2014. Unfortunately this has changed since previous versions of fm and therefore I will update appropriately once this has been clarified.

Man Management can be a helpful attribute and alternatively Working With Youngsters for any under 18s coaches. Also consider Adaptability if they are not from the nation your managing in.

Director Of Football:

If you require your DOF to look for players to buy then obviously judging player potential and ability is a requirement. If he is to do negotiations with transfers fees/contracts then consider the attributes of Motivating and Determination. Also, Adaptability no doubt will play a key part for when he looks for targets abroad as well as adapting to his new country if he is not from the nation your managing in.

Head Of Youth Development:
Determination
Discipline
Motivation
Working With Youngsters
Judging Player Potential
Adaptability (for foreign coaches to the country your managing in)

Reserve Manager:
Determination
Discipline
Motivation
Man Management
Tactical Knowledge (if first team tactics are not used by reserve manager)
Working With Youngsters (as the reserve manager will help with youth training)

Under 18s Manager:
Determination
Discipline
Motivation
Working With Youngsters
Tactical Knowledge (if first team tactics are not used by under 18s manager)
Judging Player Potential

Scout:

Obviously Judging Player Ability and Potential are the two key aspects for scouts but it is also worth considering what you use your scouts for. From my own experience you want a tactical scout (Judging Player Ability and Tactical Knowledge, Motivation, Determination and Adaptability) who will give you the best information about upcoming opponents. Secondly a knowledge scout who will gain more knowledge from discovering more parts of the world and therefore increasing your scouting area (e.g. Asia). Adaptability, determination and motivation are key attributes for this. Additionally Judging Player Ability and Potential would be useful but any further scouting can be carried out by your other scouts. Thirdly, you want a potential scout who will just look for youth (Judging Player Potential, Motivation, Determination, Adaptability). Finally you want an ability scout who will search purely for players with current ability (Judging Player Ability, Motivation, Determination, Adaptability).

Chief Scout:

For this role I would consider a scout who has high attributes in both Judging Player Ability and Potential. Additionally consider Motivation, Determination and Adaptability. I use the chief scout for world scouting as well as gaining any additional scouting on players found by my ability/potential scouts, only if I require a second opinion.

Physio:

Obviously Physiotherapy is the key attribute but also consider Fitness, Motivation, Discipline and Adaptabilty (if their not from your managing nation). Working with youngsters is also useful when looking for under 18s physios.

Additionally, positive personalities can help so it might be worth also taking that into consideration when looking for new staff.

Last edited:
Director Of Football:

Hi is there a way to use him but only selling ur players and not buy loaning them out.
because on13 i would put say ( 5 up for sell ) with loan unavailble .
but soon as i ask him to sell they all go up 4 loan and sell.
ideas.

Goalkeeping (Shot Stopping/Handling) = Goalkeeping, Determination, Discipline & Motivation.

Sorry but this is not entirely correct. As for shot stopping, tactical coaching is also relevant. And with handling, technique is relevant.

Sorry but this is not entirely correct. As for shot stopping, tactical coaching is also relevant. And with handling, technique is relevant.

Mersk, I have worked out that the goalkeeping coach requirements have changed but have yet to work out exactly what else is required. If the essential requirements can be confirmed then I will change the OP. :)

Mersk, I have worked out that the goalkeeping coach requirements have changed but have yet to work out exactly what else is required. If the essential requirements can be confirmed then I will change the OP. :)

I know that in FM 13 it was the 3 mental attributes + techncal for handling, and the 3 mental attributes + tactical for shot stopping. This year they've made some changes, but I haven't figured out exactly what the changes are yet. They have either tweaked the threshold making it harder for coaches to obtain 5 stars, or they have introduced new criteria. My money's on the former.

I have one GK coach with 5 stars (in shot stopping) at the moment, these are his attributes:
View attachment 462962

I'm pretty sure he would be only 4.5 stars if he had 13 in tactical coaching. Meaning he should get 5 stars in handling when/if his technical coaching increases by 1 point.

Then again, take a look at Achterberg:

View attachment 462961

He actually has 4.5 stars in handling, despite his low mental attributes.

These changes mean that the training calculator I used for FM 13 is no longer valid (at least when it comes to GK coaches), but I'm not sure how to find out exactly what the changes are.

I know that in FM 13 it was the 3 mental attributes + techncal for handling, and the 3 mental attributes + tactical for shot stopping. This year they've made some changes, but I haven't figured out exactly what the changes are yet. They have either tweaked the threshold making it harder for coaches to obtain 5 stars, or they have introduced new criteria. My money's on the former.

I have one GK coach with 5 stars (in shot stopping) at the moment, these are his attributes:
View attachment 399948

I'm pretty sure he would be only 4.5 stars if he had 13 in tactical coaching. Meaning he should get 5 stars in handling when/if his technical coaching increases by 1 point.

Then again, take a look at Achterberg:

View attachment 399949

He actually has 4.5 stars in handling, despite his low mental attributes.

These changes mean that the training calculator I used for FM 13 is no longer valid (at least when it comes to GK coaches), but I'm not sure how to find out exactly what the changes are.

They have certainly made it a challenge to work out the requirements for goalkeeper coaches. I will keep researching to see if I can find an answer. :)

Don't forget to update the OP!!

I have done so for now. I will update further once I can clarify the best attributes for gk coaches as they have certainly changed this year or so it appears. :)

I am uploading a coach calculator here for those who would like to calculate the amount of stars a coach will receive in the different categories.

PLEASE NOTE:

This calculator was designed for FM 13. Thus the calculations for Goalkeeping coaches ARE NOT CORRECT. All the other categories are still valid.

Also, I did not create this, and unfortunately I don't know who did.

View attachment 462797

In your initial post, you mention "Motivation" as an important factor.

In my version of the game, it has "Motivating", which I assume to more be a factor for motivating your team in team talks etc (rather than the staff member's personal motivation).

What is your take on that? e.g. Mistake in the game (It is a Beta/New Release afterall), or that maybe motivating isn't as important? Or that it is important, and your initial post just had the wrong word?

In your initial post, you mention "Motivation" as an important factor.

In my version of the game, it has "Motivating", which I assume to more be a factor for motivating your team in team talks etc (rather than the staff member's personal motivation).

What is your take on that? e.g. Mistake in the game (It is a Beta/New Release afterall), or that maybe motivating isn't as important? Or that it is important, and your initial post just had the wrong word?

That last option, definitely. It is Motivating, and it is very important. No matter what kind of staff you're looking for (perhaps with the exception of scouts) Motivating is absolutely pivotal. The three mental attributes Motivating, Determination and Level of Discipline are extremely important.

I am fairly certain the calculator uploaded by mersk would provide the incorrect ratings for the GK coaches in FM13 as well. When playing FM13, I found that the shot stopping and handling results weren't accurate in some cases (but for the most part, the formula is not that far off). From what I can tell, so far there are no changes to any of the formulas in FM14.

I am fairly certain the calculator uploaded by mersk would provide the incorrect ratings for the GK coaches in FM13 as well. When playing FM13, I found that the shot stopping and handling results weren't accurate in some cases (but for the most part, the formula is not that far off). From what I can tell, so far there are no changes to any of the formulas in FM14.

Are you sure? I used this all the time playing FM 13 and never found any irregularities. But as soon as I tried FM 14, I noticed the changes to the GK coaching. Granted, I haven't played FM 13 the last 6+ months, but I doubt they changed the requirements in any updates.

I'd check it myself, but I don't have the patience to download/install FM 13 just to check :)

Pretty sure, I made a tool to calculate coach ratings shortly after FM13's release, and I borrowed the new GK formulas from an XLS file made by MisterW (I believe the one you uploaded is the same, btw!). I used the same formulas for about a month until I hired a GK coach because the formulas indicated he would be a 4.5 starrer in the category I needed his service, only to hire him and see that he was only a 4 starrer. The formula was pretty accurate, but not perfect. I believe one of the technical/tactical attributes was 1-2 points off, so in 95% of the cases the star rating suggested was correct :)

I have a staff member who is only showing 1.5 star in rating for 'Head of Youth Development' despite having excellent attributes (16+) in all the required areas (Determination, Discipline, Motivation, Working With Youngsters, Judging Player Potential, Adaptability) as well as excellent all around attributes in other areas.

Is this because he is new to this role (still learning) and also young without much reputation?