• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 16K
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
This story is a replacement for my previous "Diving in recklessly" as the save corrupted, so had it deleted. Hopefully this will be just as successful as the previous. As usual, feel free to add any constructive criticism/advice. Thanks for reading. And also a big thanks to all previous viewers, comments and adivce.

Introduction

My name is Andrew or Andy. Run of your mill 36 yeard bloke, who's your typical passionate football fan. I'm an avid fan of Everton football club-of nearly 30 years now. Had glorious times, and of course times of heartbreak-coupled with immense rollercoaster rides of emotion during seasons gone by. Pretty much like every other football fan in all four corners of the Earth. We've all exerienced it at some point and will continue to experience it at some point in the future. I've also seen football evolve and grow into a monster-at times with a heavy price to some clubs. I've also sadly seen the passing of legends of the game-both player and manager. But they will never be forgotten by fans and will always be remembered. And sadly, I've also witnessed tragedy on the pitch too.

I had a hectic childhood, being born with my father serving in the Royal Navy in Plymouth, in the month of February 1975 in a naval dockyard hospital. And it was never a stable environment growing up. Wherever my dad was deployed, me and my mother and brother followed. Portsmouth, Hong Kong, Thailand, Rosyth (Scotland).....pretty much everywhere, so never really had a chance to settle down properly. It was in Hong Kong where I discovered football for the first time. The 1984 FA Cup Final between Everton and Watford. I picked Everton as my team to support before kickoff as I had never seen a match, let alone been to one. And ever since that day, I've supported them through good times-and terrible times.

I've also experienced the spectacle of football as a whole. My first experience of a World Cup being 1986. It was an absolute eye opener-it was so incredibly fascinating and enthralling to watch. Sir Bobby Robson taking England to the semi-final, Diego Maradonna's "Hand of God", watching Socrates.......I was gripped and excited. The introduction of the Premier League in the 90's, which totally changed the face of English football. For better-or for worse. It gave birth to legendary players. Eric Cantona, Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Zola....the list is nearly endless. It's been a **** of a ride.

Just as my life has been away from football. Living through the Cold War, watching the unification of Germany, the collapse of the USSR, downfall of Thatcher, my father fighting in the Falklands War aboard HMS Invincible-with Prince Andrew, 9/11. And not forgetting the 2 Gulf conflicts. Mixed with personal tragedy aswell. Again, a near endless list. So you could say I've had a rather eventful 36 years on this planet so far. I also grew up sooner than I was supposed to-especially with my father being away from home so much. I had to be the man of the house. And I had the military type disciplines pretty much drilled into me.

Which made attempt to joing the Armed forces. I attempted to enlist with the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force. Sadly, my medical past cost me. I have damaged knees due to torn ligaments from playing American Football in Chester Le Street (Durham). If I hadn't of played I may have been involved in a conflict somewhere-fighting for my country. Then again-it would have been an another unfulfilled dream if I hadn't of played.

My parents basically made me the person I am writing this right now. Taught me that I shouldn't suffer fools. Don't tolerate ignorance. Give respect where due-the basic values we should all be taught. If they hadn't-who knows what would've happened. I could be writing a very different account right now. They also taught me that if I put my mind to it-I could achieve anything. Never expect something for nothing. We all have to pay a price to achieve our goals. If we expect something for nothing we are equally at risk of ending up with nothing.

Which is why I now have my FA coaching badge and qualifications. I had often dreamt of being a manager, and now I was on the verge of achieving my dream. I was tired of thinking I could never do it. It would be yet another unfulfilled dream. For too long I had lacked the courage of my convictions. But I had done it. Through hard work and sacrifices, I had achieved the first part of my goal. It made me immensley proud. And all this was due in part to what my parents had taught me in my childhood.

Anyway, I'm not going to bore you any more with details about my past life. Time to tell the story of what was to come............

Last edited:
Quality start man. Have me glued to the screen already!

Quality start man. Have me glued to the screen already!

Thanks. Decided to make it more detailed personalilty wise with a bit more depth-that was lacking in my last story so aiming to rectify it. Without going over the top though lol

Thanks. Decided to make it more detailed personalilty wise with a bit more depth-that was lacking in my last story so aiming to rectify it. Without going over the top though lol

Personally i love detailed in-depth accounts on the managers own perspective. I don't have much of it in my own story , too late to start now. Good luck with this , hopefully it'll be as successful as your previous one!

Personally i love detailed in-depth accounts on the managers own perspective. I don't have much of it in my own story , too late to start now. Good luck with this , hopefully it'll be as successful as your previous one!

All of the stuff mentioned happened in real life too which I thought would add a bit of something extra to it. Except the coaching badges lol

Great stuff Andrew!!! I love it... keep it up man... and please dont crash this one!!!

Makes it all the better :D

Was wondering what happened to the other story. Good to see you have not given up and have started another one :D

Birth of a career

The house was quiet, save for the sound of Talksport in the background. I had pretty much stopped watching TV-only thing it was good for was curing insomnia. And there wasn't much to do around the area either. Newbiggin Hall Estate, is basically a large estate centered on the very outskirts of Newcastle Upon Tyne, not that far away from Newcastle Airport. You have a nice view of countryside and the hills......but that's about it. There's absolutely nothing going for it at all. Like the majority of estates littered around the country. The other half was doing her stint at Asda and the kids were away. So it was up to me, the cat and the dog to strike up a conversation. Bit hard to do when they're cabbaged on the couch snoring loudly! I looked at them and smiled, shaking my head. Such a hard life! I thought. They wake up, go to the bog, get fed, go back to sleep.........jammy sods!

I had a decision to make. I had obtained a list of managerial vacancies that were going right now. There were absolutely loads of lower league jobs going right now all over the country, but I had decided to go local. I had a family to consider and didn't want to disrupt their lives just so I could do something that I wanted to. So I decided to attempt my first stint in management in the English Northern League Division 1. I had plenty of choices. I had lived in the North East since the backend of 1994 so I wouldn't have any problems getting to where I wanted, and knew majority of places extremely well.

I figured starting at the bottom at a club with the least expectations would be ideal. Not only because I would be dipping my toes into the waters of management, but there would also be less pressure. And further down the line, people maybe more respectful, what with starting at the very bottom and working upwards. But I wasn't after anything from anyone-I just wanted to manage simple as. I may have never played football, except briefly for my youth club in Rosyth, but I wasn't naive enough to know what not to do. I knew about player roles, formations, excellent inter-personal skills....the basics if you will. And I sort of knew what to expect.

I glanced over the list one more time, then decided which club to apply for. Dunston UTS-a club in Gateshead, literally down the road from the Metro Centre. I knew the area extremely well as I used to live less than a mile from there in an area known as Teams (which is walking distance from the massive industrial estate area of Gateshead known as Team Valley Trading Estate), and knew what to expect facility wise. It may be an extremely small club, but we all have to start somewhere to get anywhere. I began typing furiously on the laptop. Checked the CV thoroughly, then the covering letter. Then it was away. I had applied for my first managerial job. Now the worst part.

Everyone who's applied for any job knows that the waiting is the worst part. Will I get it, won't I get it..... Worst case scenario you don't get a reply full stop. Or sometimes you get another job, then get a reply saying you're being offered that job when you're already working. It's an unpleasant waiting game. The best you can do is try to put it to the back of your mind. It was one of the things I had grown accustomed to whilst looking for work in general. But the more often it happens, the more it drags you down. And when you're stuck in the house for so long looking at the same walls for such a long time, thats when the cabin fever syndrome kicks in.

I glanced at my watch and sighed. Just gone two o'clock. Least I didn't have to do the school run today. Couldn't be bothered. I could only put up with hearing about the game Minecraft for so long-from everybody. Even adults. Should learn to play proper games like Football Manager! But, as they say-whatever makes them happy. I used to be just as bad though a short while back when I used to play World of Warcraft, so I guess I'm being hypocritical. My dad was right-I'd become him at 36 years old! Dammit.

I decided to take the dog for a walk. I picked up the lead then the phone rang. I told the dog to wait a few secs.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hi there, can I speak to Andrew Tilley please?" the man asked. "I'm Malcolm James, chairman of Dunston UTS football club. It's a callback regarding an application we recieved a short while ago this afternoon." My jaw nearly hit floor with a thud. That was scarily quick!

"Speaking." Was all I could think of saying. Talk about unexpected.

"Oh hi there. Hope I wasn't interrupting your day. The reason for the call is I'd like to invite you for further talks. I like what I read in your application and I feel you have potential. You maybe the sort of person we're after and I'd like to meet you in person."

"Yes, that'll be great. When's the best time for you Mr. James? I'm pretty much available anytime to be honest."

"If you can make it for about......let's say for about half four? In the clubhouse?"

"Yeah that'll be great. I know how to get there so it won't be a problem at all"

"That's great. Well, I shall see you in the clubhouse at half past four then. Any problems just get in touch. See you soon Andrew."

"Look forward to it Mr. James. See you soon." Then the line went dead. Well, to say that was unexpected would be an understatement. Talk about quick. I looked at the dog-she was desperate to go out for her walkies. It would have to be a quick walk-I had an interview to prepare for. Fortunately there was no suit to press-already one hanging up in the wardrobe so that would save half an hour. The only obstacle, would be the Stagecoach bus showing up on time. To say they're unreliable is putting it mildly-and politely.

The stadium was as I remebered it last time I was around. Small, two stands that were covered, with a barrier around the pitch. But the pitch was in perfect condition, and the stands were excellent quality too. I surveyed the entire area. It was a bit like your stereotypical village stadium. I liked them. To me it said "we are a small community based club", where all fans could mingle without fear of trouble. Where fans and player had a connection. Something that was sorely missing from the higher leagues. The days of fans conversing with a player in a pub long gone. Real shame.

I walked around and looked for the club house and saw it. Walking toward it I adjusted my tie and put my chewing gum into a nearby bin, and took a deep breath. I saw Malcolm outside, putting away his mobile phone. No doubt conducting football business. He would be busy dealing with player transfers-ingoing and outgoing. When players go away on their holidays the work behind the scenes never stops. He walked over smiling.

"Ah! You must be Andrew. Welcome to Dunston UTS. Follow me inside." I followed then we both sat at a table. "As I mentioned on the phone, I was impressed by what you said in your application. However, you do realise, that managing a club is no picnic? Especially a club like this. Funds are extremely limited, facilities are extremely limited... What you see is what you get." I nodded.

"Fully aware. To be honest, I consider hard work to be just as important as facilities. I am hard working, I can grasp the basics, and will aim to get the best out of the players in any way possible. I feel I can help this club move forward. I already have ideas on how to achieve this." He looked at me intently and a smile slowly formed.

"I admire your self belief. But about the club-it's a great little club that's not been going that long-since 1975. Great fans, family club and we're going on quite a good run. Which leads me onto what I expect from you." I clasped my hands to together tightly. This is it. "I'm offering you a part time contract of 1 year at £375 per week. In return I want a respectable finish in the division, and to make the 2nd round of the FA Vase. I want you to be honest with me. Can you do this?" I thought about what he had said carefully. It didn't sound too big a challenge. From what I heard, there was a bunch of good players anyway.

"I believe I can. I accept the offer." He stood up and smiled broadly.

"Great! Great!" He patted me firmly on the shoulder then beckoned me to follow him. "Come on then. We'll get the paper work sorted out for you. Glad to have you aboard. All I have to say now is good luck. We'll be supporting you all the way."

I was over the moon. I had finally done what I had put off for so long. I was now a manager of a football club. It was a very small club, but I didn't care. It was a club. And I would be in charge. I punched the air in celebration on the way out. I got a strange look from someone leaving the bus stop I was heading toward.

"Happy about something mate?" he asked curiously-but keeping a good distance. I looked at him grinning. I pointed in the direction of the club.

"See that club?" I asked. He frowned then nodded.

"Aye-I support Dunston. Have done a few years. Why?" I straightened my tie.

"You're talking to your new manager." I replied with a wink before stepping onto the bus.

Last edited:
Yet another fantastic update man! Keep up the great work!

Shame about your last story but great start to this one, hopefully you'll have no problems this time round.

Somebody's been reading Fergie's biography ;)

Anyway, good luck mate!

Cheers guys.

I'm hoping the save goes right this time too. Probably risky as it goes as far down as level 9 but saving regularly just in case this time-and rolling save too.

As for the title yeah I admit I "borrow" it. Was cheeky but to be honest I hit a brick wall thinking of a suitable title. Bad enough first time round lol

very good make more now like the interaction with the fan at the end

Was planning to do an update today, but after no sleep following the Super Bowl-simply can't be arsed to be frank. Absolutely shattered. So tomorrow instead :)

View attachment 222140

Rome wasn't built in day........

I got off the bus, and looked in the direction of the football club. Though the players weren't due to start training until tomorrow, there were still things to be done. Checking out the squad depth, contracts, deciding the best formation, etc, etc, etc......the list can be never ending when you take the reigns. You could have all the help you would need, but there would always be something else that crops up. And on top of that, I had an interview about the job tomorrow about the job. Nothing major though. Questions from about 4-5 local newspapers including the Non-League press.

It was very warm today, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I walked into what would be my office. It wasn't big-but it did the job. Wasn't bothered about the size. Could've used some ventilation though-it was boiling hot inside so immediately opened all the windows. Which was a waste of time though as there was no breeze to speak of. Oh well. I walked to the desk after hanging up my suit jacket and took a seat. Some documents had already been left on my desk. I switched on the PC and had a browse through various e-mails. I found what I was looking for-along with a post-it stuck on the top.

The squad was a nice size, so there would be no problems keeping players fresh. Or so I thought. I looked at the details more closely-10 of the players in the squad were 15! I couldn't believe it. And one was 14. I let out a big sigh. That was going to be a problem. On a more positive note, the rest were between 18-40. So in that department, was a nice mix of youth and experience. After an hour or so reviewing what I had in front of me, I decided it would be best to stick with a 4-4-2. Apparently it's what they were accustomed too. Wasn't going to do anything fancy. Short passing, normal tempo, fairly deep defensive line with a controlling mentality. I ripped off the post-it note that had been placed on the first page. Well that's just wonderful! I thought aloud.

The board wanted the wage bill reduced as quicky-it was around £149 over the set budget. Kept that quiet I muttered to myself. Still, I'd talk it over with the assistant manager Chris Swailes. He'd been around the player block, having played for Ipswich, Hamilton, Rotherham, Bury, Oldham, Gateshead, Blyth, Doncaster, Peterborough, Bridlington, and Boston. So hopefully his experience as a player would help decide which players had to go or stay. Or help find a way of reducing the wages. Money is without doubt my biggest weakness. I failed basic mathematics for a reason! Although it doesn't sound like a lot money, to a club of this size, it can have repurcussions. It wasn't something I wanted to do without help.

I glanced at the upcoming fixture list. The first friendly was in 3 days time, against Whitehill Welfare. Then there were friendlies against local Gateshead side Ryton, Scottish side Brechin City (another former area of residence), Horden CW and finally Pickering. Not much time to get ready for the first match, but to me that wasn't important. What was more important was getting the players back into the routine of training, and working on their match fitness and getting them used to the tactics I was to employ. Match fitness would be a problem. The most number of staff the board would allow would be 2-and they wouldn't allow me to employ a goalkeeping coach, or youth coaches. Or more importantly, a fitness coach. This'll be fun I though to myself with a wry smile.

After finishing prioritising everything, I finished up. Locking the door on the way out, I decided to give myself a brief tour of the ground. The pitch was indeed small and narrow. The changing rooms consisted of portacabins. Everything was as the chairman had described. Bare essentials. I decided to sit in the stand and see for myself what it felt like. I suddenly had butterflies in my stomach. This was going to be my team. I'd be using my tactics. Then questions arose in my head. What if it didn't work? What if the players didn't like me? What if they couldn't adapt? What if I couldn't meet the chairmans expectations? I shook the thoughts out of my head.

Thinking negatively breeds self doubt in yourself, and I couldn't let that happen. If I doubted myself, the players and staff would doubt me and I would lose the dressing room before the season even kicks off. That would obviously be disastrous. I wanted to exceed expectations and do better than the chairman expected. I told myself off for even thinking that. There's no point in getting ahead of myself. This was my first job in management, and the last thing I wanted to do, was put unneccesary pressure on myself and totally screw everything up. I got up and walked onto the pitch and looked around. The pitch was immaculate-absolutely perfect for playing football.

I was hoping the fans wouldn't expect immediate success. The previous season they were expected to be promoted, but failed to do so which resulted in the vacancy at the club. Nothing worse than having fans who can influence a board. It can make things very uncomfortable, not just for a manager, but also for the players too. Performances go downhill, morale hits rock bottom, you lose the dressing room and once that channels through to the boardroom.....that's it. You can kiss your job goodbye. But from what I heard, the chairman is fairly patient. Something which is devoid at most clubs higher up the echelon.

As I walked away to head home, I ran over the two things left to do for tomorrow. The press conference, and introducing myself to the players. Then, the hard work would begin............

This is fantastic! I'm suppose to be doing college work but i'm reading this! Well done, and keep up the good work. :)

WHAT DO WE WANT?
AN UPDATE!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
NOW!
I'm loving this man.

WHAT DO WE WANT?
AN UPDATE!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
NOW!
I'm loving this man.

I'M WORKING ON IT DAMMIT!! NO PRESSURE!!! :@ :P lol

Finding myself being a really picky sod at the moment and changing things around lol. Currently reviewing it at the mo and hunting down pics etc. Much harder to find them for a tier 9 club-didn't think would be this hard though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back