Forgotten Owen targets England recall

Is Owen still good enough to play for England?

• No way, he's past it

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Yes, he's a quality finisher

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't see the whole "looking forward, not back" argument if it is used in conjunction with examples like Crouch and Zamora, both of whom are only a year younger than Owen. We need to look to the future, yes, but we also need to win games, and we need to pick the team best equipped for that.

Owen isnt that old, he's only 30 (the same age as Gerrard and younger than Lampard) and he has the best vision and movement of any english striker.
I would definately say he is in the top 4 strikers we have but he does need to be playing a lot, which he isnt at Man U. I agree that he is a bit injury prone, but when he is fit he is still good enough for England. Beckham got such a good run in the team when his legs have gone and he was just in for his crossing and free kicks, why cant Owen play because he is a good finisher. (And I'd like to see him beat 49 goals)

i think he sould deserve another chance, but he cant get into the united squad properly

yes he is a great finisher but if we are talking about leaving lampard and terry out for good to bleed through the youngsters then Owen is a big no.

yes he is a great finisher but if we are talking about leaving lampard and terry out for good to bleed through the youngsters then Owen is a big no.

Of course not - we're talking about leaving Lampard out (at least) because he's wrong for England.

Of course not - we're talking about leaving Lampard out (at least) because he's wrong for England.

and i have always agreed with that, but there are claims about leaving Terry out also and Owen can't and i believe won't ever play 5 or more games in a row again. Whats the point we are just starting to move forward and now we want to take 2 steps back.

Good joke, he's awful. Doesn't even have the finishing skills he used to - http://twitter.com/optajoe/status/8330242199
Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent, Zamora, Davies, Carroll are all ahead of him, most likely more than a few others as well.

if you think owen is awful then you dont know football mate... yes he gone down in form but it all thorugh injuries it amazing how a players performances dips after a bad injury- i personally know from breaking my leg last year - and also stars like torres have dipped in form yet they still are quailty given the chance and full fitness... if owen stays fit enough and plays first team football he good enough to be in the england squad but he wont get first team footy at united...yes quality team but awful career move... you dont get a ratio of 1 in every 2 international games if your awful

and i have always agreed with that, but there are claims about leaving Terry out also and Owen can't and i believe won't ever play 5 or more games in a row again. Whats the point we are just starting to move forward and now we want to take 2 steps back.
because terry doesnt stay on his feet and that exposes his partner, normally rio, you cant get away with that in a 4-4-2.

from fifa's technical report into the world cup:
Players who slide in only put their own team at risk. Defenders need to stay on their feet and try to win the ball back with controlled aggression without clattering into opponents.”

Owen if fit would be a good stopgap, but he isnt the long term future. that doesnt mean we write him off becuase we still need to win games in the present. if hes fit and on form, hes a very good option

Owen doesn't even have his finishing ability anymore! Please no more talk of him being a great finisher.

And forget his international scoring record. It's hardly the same player.

Owen doesn't even have his finishing ability anymore! Please no more talk of him being a great finisher.

yes he does! he just been injured really... man city goal was just a taster of what he still can do... given the chance he quality your speaking like he 38 and should retire cus everything going downhill... he only 30 .. look at scholes and giggs owen can still cut it at top level IF kept fit

because terry doesnt stay on his feet and that exposes his partner, normally rio, you cant get away with that in a 4-4-2.

from fifa's technical report into the world cup:
Players who slide in only put their own team at risk. Defenders need to stay on their feet and try to win the ball back with controlled aggression without clattering into opponents.”

Owen if fit would be a good stopgap, but he isnt the long term future. that doesnt mean we write him off becuase we still need to win games in the present. if hes fit and on form, hes a very good option

Terry offers more than that, he is arguably one of the best in the air still and his leadership is excellent. Also when JT and Rio are partnered together they usaly do well. I just think with the strikers we have Rooney, Defoe, Bent and to a less extent Cartlon Cole and with youngsters like Andy Carroll coming through he is un needed. Owen has a decent international record but that was when he was fit and he isen't anymore and he proberly never will be fully fit ever again.

if you think owen is awful then you dont know football mate... yes he gone down in form but it all thorugh injuries it amazing how a players performances dips after a bad injury- i personally know from breaking my leg last year - and also stars like torres have dipped in form yet they still are quailty given the chance and full fitness... if owen stays fit enough and plays first team football he good enough to be in the england squad but he wont get first team footy at united...yes quality team but awful career move... you dont get a ratio of 1 in every 2 international games if your awful

Yes, Owen has a good record with England but there is no doubt that his best times are behind him. Given the number of English strikers that have been used in the last couple of years that have been on better form than Owen I would be very suprised if Owen ever plays for England again, his legs have well and truly gone. At his age it takes a lot longer to come back and I doubt that anybody has the patience.

Yes, Owen has a good record with England but there is no doubt that his best times are behind him. Given the number of English strikers that have been used in the last couple of years that have been on better form than Owen I would be very suprised if Owen ever plays for England again, his legs have well and truly gone. At his age it takes a lot longer to come back and I doubt that anybody has the patience.

yeah i agree actually he probably will never get back in cus capello wont even look at him at united imo... but i honestly think he still has the ability but getting past 4/5 strikers is very difficult to do..... people like carroll aitn even got a cap yet so he still comign through the u21's and needs to prove also

yes he does! he just been injured really... man city goal was just a taster of what he still can do... given the chance he quality your speaking like he 38 and should retire cus everything going downhill... he only 30 .. look at scholes and giggs owen can still cut it at top level IF kept fit

Or rather a distant memory of what he was once able to do. Scholes and Giggs are different, they don't play the same way they used to and that's why they're still playing top flight football despite their age. Owen doesn't offer anything that all those other English strikers don't have. Plus 30 may not be that young but it's hardly an age from where you can rediscover your old form after a series of injuries

yeah i agree actually he probably will never get back in cus capello wont even look at him at united imo... but i honestly think he still has the ability but getting past 4/5 strikers is very difficult to do..... people like carroll aitn even got a cap yet so he still comign through the u21's and needs to prove also

Exactly and tbh I think that Capello is more likely to give Carroll a chance than Owen if there is a few injuries to the likes of Bent, Crouch etc.

Hang on a sec. You don't LOSE natural finishing instinct. It's either there or it isn't - see Owen compared to Heskey. Heskey's fit and has never been that badly injured in his career, unlike Owen, but who would you trust to put the ball in the back of the net? Yeah, exactly.

Scholes and Giggs are different, they don't play the same way they used to and that's why they're still playing top flight football despite their age. Owen doesn't offer anything that all those other English strikers don't have. Plus 30 may not be that young but it's hardly an age from where you can rediscover your old form after a series of injuries

You're wrong. Owen is reinventing himself. He's been playing deeper, linking play, utilising improved passing ability to play himself and others in. He's still got a burst of pace, he's an icy-cool finisher, he's not bad in the air for a short bloke, he can pass, he's got the work ethic, he's got the experience, he's a model pro, he's an icon of the English game and a role model, he's Michael Owen.

Do not discount him as a washed-up poacher left behind by the game. There's still room in football for Michael Owen.

i put no because i haven't been convinced by him for a few years now. and by the way before the injury last season he played more games than anybody else at united. an why do people keep going on about his goal against city any player can score one goal that makes them look like a top quality finisher

Hang on a sec. You don't LOSE natural finishing instinct. It's either there or it isn't - see Owen compared to Heskey. Heskey's fit and has never been that badly injured in his career, unlike Owen, but who would you trust to put the ball in the back of the net? Yeah, exactly.

You're wrong. Owen is reinventing himself. He's been playing deeper, linking play, utilising improved passing ability to play himself and others in. He's still got a burst of pace, he's an icy-cool finisher, he's not bad in the air for a short bloke, he can pass, he's got the work ethic, he's got the experience, he's a model pro, he's an icon of the English game and a role model, he's Michael Owen.

Do not discount him as a washed-up poacher left behind by the game. There's still room in football for Michael Owen.

Based on the last season's form I wouldn't expect either of them to put the ball back in the net. Sure, Owen can do other things but then there are plenty of English strikers who do just that, better, like the ones listed on the first page of this thread. He's completely average. If I'd only heard of him in the last couple of seasons I would definitely not know him as a good finisher, he hits so many timid pearollers straight at the keeper it's untrue.

Based on the last season's form I wouldn't expect either of them to put the ball back in the net. Sure, Owen can do other things but then there are plenty of English strikers who do just that, better, like the ones listed on the first page of this thread. He's completely average. If I'd only heard of him in the last couple of seasons I would definitely not know him as a good finisher, he hits so many timid pearollers straight at the keeper it's untrue.

He'd hardly had the chance to prove himself. Last season he was at United and characteristically injured after scoring a good goal against Villa in a good game for him (I remember that well :mad:). The season before that he was injured and playing for a relegated team. Give him a chance to get to full fitness and backed by United's superb squad, and Owen will play well.