Forgotten Owen targets England recall

Is Owen still good enough to play for England?

• No way, he's past it

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Yes, he's a quality finisher

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If he find some form and start scoring goals, I'd love him back in the squad but when he came on against Fulham, he was awful, it's not the same Michael Owen but hopefully the old one can return. One of the greatest English players of the late late 90's and early 2000's.

I'm undecided on this. IMO there's too many incumbents in the England squad that seem to take their place for granted. The guys pushing them are either too young or haven't fully established themselves as a viable alternative. It may be good for someone like Owen, someone who has been out of the setup but with a track record in international football (provided he is fit and in good form) to come back and reinforce that **** performances in the shirt won't be tolerated. But he can't seem to last a season without missing a huge chunk through injury

Also, there can be no questioning Owen's hunger and desire to prove himself and play for his country again. He's an absolute legend, and I will defend him to the hilt.

Also, there can be no questioning Owen's hunger and desire to prove himself and play for his country again. He's an absolute legend, and I will defend him to the hilt.
if he can prove himself worthy then by all measn call him up as an option, but i dont think its right taht we call him simply because he's michael owen, he needs to be playing some games for united before he can be playing for england

No thanks.

Just when we seem to be looking forwards, we can't take a step back and try and re-introduce a player who hasn't been in-form for years.

if he can prove himself worthy then by all measn call him up as an option, but i dont think its right taht we call him simply because he's michael owen, he needs to be playing some games for united before he can be playing for england

Of course not, that's not what I'm advocating. The reason I love him is because he's Michael Owen, but we need to keep a head free of conscience here. If he stays fit, plays games, plays well then why on Earth not? Don't feed me anything on progressiveness - we don't have any young strikers similar to him that would be fine to be pushed straight into the England squad. Bent is his closest competitor in terms of like-for-like striker, but competition is no bad thing.

If he plays well, then I see no reason why, in this latest England setup and formation, he can't be at least backup for Defoe.

Last edited:
Let's face it, although he is injured 90% of the time, he is still one of the best finishers in the game. Look at the goals last season against City and Villa. More so the City goal, who else would have made that run at that time of the game and finish like he did. If he is fit and getting the minutes on the pitch then yeah. Afterall, aren't players picked for the
national side because of form?

Last edited:
And what a silly thread title, I will never forget his goals against Argentina and Germany :wub:

No. There or 5/6 English strikers who I'd pick over him, too old and injury prone.

I hope not,he is past his best and u rather give more chances to the likes of Andy Caroll

And what a silly thread title, I will never forget his goals against Argentina and Germany :wub:

if he hasnt played for his countryh in two years then in the terms i meant, he's forgotten