• Thread starter Thread starter Shay Given
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 5K

Shay Given

Banned
Reaction score
FraserForster_1274966a.jpg

YOU would think Fraser Forster would be easy to spot.
At 6ft 7in, he can eyeball Peter Crouch and keeps goal for one of the world's most famous clubs.

Yet Forster, who wears the gloves for Celtic tomorrow in the CIS Cup final against bitter rivals Rangers at Hampden Park, is England's invisible man.

The Geordie has never been capped at any level, be it schoolboy, Under-21 or senior. Nor has he even been in a squad.

His proudest representative honour is turning out for Northumberland.

This week Forster was again ignored for the Under-21 squad for matches against Denmark and Iceland in favour of keepers from Blackburn, Watford, Huddersfield and Reading.

His Celtic pal Gary Hooper was called up but Forster is puzzled why he cannot get a look in. It is all the more surprising because the big man, on loan from Newcastle, has, quite literally, been a huge success at Celtic Park.

Forster, just 23 but who qualifies for the Under-21s because of his age at the start of the Euro qualifying campaign, admitted: "It has been frustrating hearing England have been struggling for keepers and they still haven't looked at me.

"My greatest ambition is to get in the full England squad. I want it badly.

"Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce sat behind me in the stand when I was suspended for a cup replay against Rangers and said he was sorry I wasn't playing.

"He told me Celtic was a massive club and to keep it going. I know I could do a good job for him but he must have other ideas."

Forster wonders if he is having to play catch-up for being a relatively late starter in the game.

He added: "Maybe it's because I went to a rugby-playing school and wasn't picked up by Newcastle until I was 17 that I've missed the boat so far.

"I was doing my A-levels and planning to go on to university when I got the call to join Newcastle. I'd been on trial at Rangers, Liverpool, Hibs and Leicester but nothing came of that.

"A lot of academies get their keepers when they are 10 years old and you have to stand out quite a bit to get in when you come from outside.

"My height didn't work in my favour either. Sometimes they think you can't get down to the ball properly when you're as tall as me. You have to prove yourself over and over."

Not only has Forster been snubbed by England, he has not played for Newcastle either.

He has been on the bench 50 times for the black and whites but showed he has what it takes with a starring loan season at Norwich last year, as the Canaries won promotion to the Championship.

He kept 20 clean sheets in 38 league games and Celtic boss Neil Lennon signed him for a season on City boss Paul Lambert's recommendation.

Lambert cannot big-up Forster enough.

He said: "When he was with us, Fraser made saves that had me scratching my head thinking 'How did he get to that?'

"I'm not exaggerating. He made saves I didn't think were possible.

"Fraser is young but don't judge him by his age. He has unbelievable ability and age isn't an issue."

Forster has kept 16 clean sheets for Celtic and the Hoops have the best defensive record in Britain.

He admitted: "I didn't realise quite how big Celtic was. I'm playing in front of crowds of 50,000 and 60,000 and Old Firm games are unbelievable. You come off and your head's absolutely banging because the crowd is so loud."

He knows the CIS final will be as intense as ever.

Forster admitted: "You don't wish any violence in the Old Firm games but until you experience one you don't understand how much players and supporters get caught up in the emotion of it all.

"I was a sub for some very big games at Newcastle, including the derby against Sunderland. But the Old Firm is something else."

Forster is impatient to play in the Premier League for Newcastle.

He said: "I've had a meeting with manager Alan Pardew and the view is I will go back and challenge to be No 1.

"I'd love to get my chance. It's my club, it's where I grew up and I was a season ticket holder before I signed for them.

"I accept I'm an unknown in England. I'm not even well known in Newcastle. Hopefully, the time is coming when I change that."

Capello's No1 contenders

FRASER FORSTER wants to be England's No 1 at Euro 2012. Here are six other keepers who are likely to stand in his way. Unlike Forster, the other six all have some international experience.

JOE HART

THE Manchester City star is still only 23 and has been capped eight times. He has also represented the U-19s and U-21s. Gained vital big-game experience in PL and Europe this season.

ROBERT GREEN

WEST HAM'S keeper is the most experienced of the bunch and has won 11 caps. But the 31-year-old's horror blunder against the USA at the World Cup will be a big blot on his copybook.

BEN FOSTER

HAS been impressive despite Birmingham's struggles this season and was the star of their shock Carling Cup win. However, Foster, 27, needs his side to stay up to further his chances.

SCOTT LOACH

WATFORD'S highly-rated No 1 was called up to the senior squad to face Hungary after Foster and Paul Robinson withdrew.The 22-year-old is definitely one for the future.

FRANK FIELDING

DERBY'S 22-year-old loanee has been kept busy this season in the Championship. The Blackburn star has been rewarded with a regular place in the U-21s and was selected for the squad to face Hungary.

DAVID STOCKDALE

FULHAM'S second-choice keeper has been in two Fabio Capello squads. He has played well when given a run in the Cottagers' first team but needs to start more games.

Fraser Forster is England’s forgotten keeper | The Sun |Sport|Football

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously he isnt good enough to be Englnd number 1 atm but imohe has got a point and is good enough for a full England call up. He is certainly good enough for the under-21's

Hart & Foster are quite a bit better than him, Green is marginally better but I think FF would be a better option due to his age. From what I have seen of Stockdale, Loach and Fielding (Not much of him tbh) FF is better than them.

Opinions?
Do the few that have seen him think he is good enough?
Who are the top3 English keepers?

He could certainly make a squad but I don't really believe he could take over Joe Hart as number 1 IMO.

Top 3 English 'Keepers
1) Joe Hart
2) Rob Green
3) Ben Foster

Have only seen a few games and he's been very clumsy in them.....would suit the keepers shirt well ;)

Green & Foster have had their chances, and while they can put in quality performances; they're too inconsistent for me. We've got alot of talented keepers about and I don't care what league they may play in, I think Forster & Loach should be back-up to Joe Hart.

Always found it weird that he hasn't been involved in the England set-up at any level. Looking forward to him hopefully getting his chance at Newcastle next season.

Always found it weird that he hasn't been involved in the England set-up at any level. Looking forward to him hopefully getting his chance at Newcastle next season.

I don't understand you kept Tim Krul and loaned out Foster in the first place. The later is far better than the former in my opinion.

I don't understand you kept Tim Krul and loaned out Foster in the first place. The later is far better than the former in my opinion.

I think Forster wanted first team football and there was demand after his time at Norwich. Then Krul got lucky with Harper's injury to get him a good run in the team.

He could certainly make a squad but I don't really believe he could take over Joe Hart as number 1 IMO.

Top 3 English 'Keepers
1) Joe Hart
2) Rob Green
3) Ben Foster

Rob Green???? are you serious??
Fraser Forster would and should get in front of him anyday...

Rob Green???? are you serious??
Fraser Forster would and should get in front of him anyday...

Yes I am serious.

Everbody judged Green over the mistake against USA at the WC but one mistake shouldn't define the ability of a goalkeeper. In the past 2/3 years he has been one of the best English 'keepers in the Premiership IMO.

Edit: Missed word out.

Last edited:
Yes I am serious.

Everbody judged Green over the mistake against USA at the WC but one mistake shouldn't define the ability of a goalkeeper. In the past 2/3 years he has been one of the best 'keepers in the Premiership IMO.

Sorry but I can't agree with that. He was making mistakes before the USA game, and I can't see how anyone would believe he's been one of the league's best keepers oO)

Sorry but I can't agree with that. He was making mistakes before the USA game, and I can't see how anyone would believe he's been one of the league's best keepers oO)

Fair enough , everone has their own opinion on things.

Oh , sorry I meant to put one of the best English 'keepers.

Ben Foster :wub:

he dives to the lefttt, he dives to the rightttttt, thats why ben foster, makes joe hart look SHI*E!!! ^^)

he must be very frustrated with his england performances, because he is 95% of the time brilliant at club level, doesnt seem to get the same effect at international level, shame really, in my biased opinion the closest to Joe Hart we have...

Ben Foster :wub:

he dives to the lefttt, he dives to the rightttttt, thats why ben foster, makes joe hart look SHI*E!!! ^^)

he must be very frustrated with his england performances, because he is 95% of the time brilliant at club level, doesnt seem to get the same effect at international level, shame really, in my biased opinion the closest to Joe Hart we have...
did you read the OP? or the title? :$

did you read the OP? or the title? :$

was my opinion on the top english keepers question,

the last spot is WIDE open we have a lot of young keepers, he has a shout, but i dont think any of them have a chance at dislodging Hart and Fozzy from 1 and 2

was my opinion on the top english keepers question,

the last spot is WIDE open we have a lot of young keepers, he has a shout, but i dont think any of them have a chance at dislodging Hart and Fozzy from 1 and 2
few enough.
I think Hart will be number 1 for many years to come but I can see FF catching up on Foster on getting the number 2 spot by the 2014 World Cup ;) tbh.

Presumably this will spell end for Krul? Where will he go now. Wouldnt mind him at CP, seems good enough any time I have seen him.

Alex McCarthy > Whoever he is.

:)

He was in goal for Norwich last season? Half Decent.

Forster LOL... theres a reason he never gets a mention.. will never be in with a shout unless a least 4/5 keepers get injured

Back