Fortunes Always Hiding - West Ham Story.

So 2 points were dropped against Blackburn and with our next game a toughie we could look back at that game as big turning point...

Everton V West Ham
Howard, Neville, Baines, Yobo, Distin, Pienaar, Bilyaletdinov, Fellaini, Rodwell, Cahill and Vaughan. Subs: Nash, Estrada, Gueye, Yakubu, Hibbert, Donovan and Osman.

Green,Faubert, Ilunga, Tomkins, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Stanislas, Collison, Diamanti and Cole. Subs: da Costa, Behrami, Noble, Mido, Kurucz and McCarthy.

Yobo Leaves It Late

Well what a boring game this one was, the first half was dead not many chances going on but Everton dominating on the possesion front. The half-time whistle came around rather quick and I just tried to encourage them but it didn't seem to help. Everton is not an easy place to go and I would of been happy with a point. Everton were now making more chances with a header from Yobo and Cahill coming close with Diamanti having a good chance well saved. With the game looking like ending as a draw, same old West Ham fell asleep at the back with a good ball from Pienaar, Yobo rose above the rest and headed in to give the Toffees the 3 points. I was gutted that we had gone all the way and let in a really soft goal when we could of took a point. It was looking like that Blackburn game was costly. We were in 11th place.

Everton 1
Yobo (84)

West Ham 0

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

I'm forever blowing bubbles :)
Rated and gonna be followed mate.. up the Hammers!

Good man! Irons!

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

2 games without a win and we needed one desperately. However, we had top of the table...

West Ham V Bolton
Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Tomkins, Kovac, Parker, Stanislas, Collison, Cole and Diamanti. Subs: da Costa, Behrami, Daprela, Noble, Mido, Ilan and McCarthy.

Jaaskelainen, Ricketts, Robinson, O'Brien, Lolo, Davies, Gardner, Muamba, Davis, Klasnic and Elmander. Subs: Al Habsi, Chung-Yong Lee, Riga, Jakubko, Knight, McCann and Taylor.

2 Peas In A Pod

Yes Bolton were top of the league and I couldn't care if they were top or bottom, this is a 3 pointer. We started on fire and we really should of took the lead early on. 3 clear cut chances in the first 20 minutes showed we were going to have some chances this game. However, with there first shot of the game they were 1-0 up. Ricardo Gardner put them ahead and this was not what I wanted. We battled on and was rewarded 8 minutes later with a great goal from our big man Carlton Cole. He picked up the ball from his own half, beat 2 men and smashed the ball into the bottom left hand corner, great goal and we knew we could go and get another from this point and thats exctly what we done. 4 minutes later and good through ball from Parker saw Cole one on one, he shot, keeper saved, fell to Diamanti and the boy couldn't miss. 2-1 and our strikers were really gelling. The half time whistle came and I told the boys just keep going, we knew we could win this game now. The second half started and it was like the first, us dominating. However, there was a quiet patch in the middle of the game and Bolton started to take control. A header from Davies and a absolute sitter from Klasnic kept me on the edge of my seat. Time was running down and I was just trying to time waste as much as I could. The final whistle went I was relieved! 3 points and we were back up to 10th in the league.

West Ham 2
Cole (35)
Diamanti (41)

Bolton 1
Gardner (28)

this is a really good story mate and its got a really good layout im enjoying follwoing this well done :)

this is a really good story mate and its got a really good layout im enjoying follwoing this well done :)

Thanks mate, much appreciated :)

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

So the 'easier' games were over and we had only lost one of them, very good. But, we had three though ones coming up...

Man City V West Ham
Given, Richards, Bridge, Toure, Lescott, Krasic, Robinho, Ireland, de Jong, Adebayor and Tevez. Subs: Taylor, Santa Cruz, Barry, Kompany, Petrov, Wright-Phillips and Onuoha.

Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Parker, Noble, Stanislas, Collison, Cole and Diamanti. Subs: Ilan, da Costa, Tomkins, McCarthy, Daprela, Behrami and Mido.

Green Keeps Score Down

I knew that this one was going to be a hard one and we saw that from the word go. The attacking force of Robinho, Ireland, Adebayor and Tevez was worrying and you could see the goal was going to come soon. However, they couldn't score and it was down to one man and one man alone, Robert Green, the boy was making save after save after save. The half time whistle came and we were struggling but if we could catch them on the break we may just win this. The second half started and Adebayor didn't come out, he was injured, Upson had done his job. The second half started like the first half, they were really hurting us but the England's No.1 :) stayed strong... until the 59th minute. As most football fans would know if there is one person a West Ham fan would not mind scoring against, its Carlos Tevez. A beatiful curled effort saw City one up and a respectful round of applause by the West Ham fans. The game carried on with them dominating and even though the goal went in Green kept his head high and kept making saves. I bought McCarthy on hoping he could knick us a winner and how so close he was. With seconds to go and good ball by Cole to McCarthy saw a well struck ball just breeze the crossbar. The final whistle went and we had lost 1-0 but I was over the moon with Green's peformance, even Mancini recognised this.

Man City 1
Tevez (59)

West Ham 0

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

As I said we had hard games coming up but this one I was hoping to maybe get something...

West Ham V Arsenal
Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Parker, Noble, Stanislas, Collison, Cole and Diamanti. Subs: Ilan, da Costa, Tomkins, McCarthy, Daprela, Behrami and Mido.

Almunia, Sagna, Clichy, Senderos, Vermaelen, Eboue, Denilson, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott and Eduardo. Subs: Fabianski, Bendtner, Vela, Traore, Silvestre, Watt and Sunu.

Cole's Couple Not Enough

The fans were looking forward to this one and I was aswell, one reason and one reason only, to get one over on Wenger.The game started well but there was not many big chances for each team. Both teams were having chances but no real clear cut chances. Half-time came around a bit quicker than I expected. I told the boys to just remember what them fans are feeling, they want this! It inspired the boys and we were rewared straight after the break. Diamanti who had had a bad half got the ball, beat Sagna, down the wing and a unstoppable saw the man on fire, Carlton Cole bag another goal from close range. 1-0 and Wenger was whinging. We kept on going and 3 minutes later another great ball from Diamanti but this time a through ball saw Cole one on one and he had scored... again! Cole 2, West Ham 2 up, we must win, surely? Then it hits me, West Ham United, a team who just loves to give goals. Arsenal pushed and pushed and with a good ball from Nasri the super sub Bendtner was one on one and Green was unlucky. 2-1 and there was 20 minutes to go. We kept on gong and going and it was looking like we were going to take all 3 points. Chances from Arsenal were getting closer and closer and with 5 minutes to go a super strike Fabregas saw Arsenal draw level and a cheeky grin on Wenger. The whistle blew and the West Ham faithful seemed happy enough, I was starting to get into there good books.

West Ham 2
Cole (48, 54)

Arsenal 2
Bendtner (69)
Fabregas (85)

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

The last of the 3 hard games and to go here and get something would really be something...

Villa V West Ham
Friedel, Young, Warnock, Cuellar, Davies, Milner, Bannan, Gardner, Petrov, Harewood and Abonglahor. Subs: Guzan, Delfouneso, Downing, Bouma, El Zhar, Sidwell and Beye.

Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Parker, Kovac, Stanislas, Collison, Cole and Diamanti. Subs: Ilan, da Costa, Tomkins, McCarthy, Daprela, Behrami and Mido.

Capello Catches Cole Conquering

Villa Park was not an easy place to go to and if people backed us to win this one then I would be very surpised. The midweek game gave Fabio Capello the chance to come and see us play. I got the chance to meet him and he seemed a nice chap. I told Cole and after I was not too sure if I should of, it might off put too much nerve on the lad. However, the game went on and we did not look good at all, Villa looked a real force up front and I was waiting for them to take the lead. Chance after chance but Green was not having none of it. The back 4 were all playing immense and we were really making it hard from them. I said to the boys were not going to beat them if we go an attack them so I said lets just counter them but just be careful. We went outside second half and were looking a bit more dangerous with the odd chance here and there but Villa were looking the main team to score. In the 60 odd minute the ball rolled out for a throw to us. It fell to my feet, Faubert rushed over, I chucked him the ball, he saw Behrami in acres of space, he got the ball to his feet and launched a great ball to the back post and with Carlton Cole and one defender in the box there was only one winner. Cole rose and pushed the header down to give the keeper no chance. 1-0 up, thanks to me :) We kept on battling and they were really battling for it. That **** Martin O'Neill kept jumping up and down, he was doing my nut in. The whistle came and we had won it! Great win and it was showing our team is strong.

Villa 0

West Ham 1
Cole (63)

Last edited:
So them 3 hard games were out the way and I got 4 points. Now it was time for a nice little easy run...

Portsmouth V West Ham
James, Vanden Borre, Hreidarsson, Kaboul, Ben-Haim, Diop, Brown, Smith, Belhadj, Boateng and Piquionne. Subs: Ashdown, Utaka, Yebda, Mokoena, Dindane, Angulo and Finnan.

Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Parker, Kovac, Behrami, Collison, Cole and McCarthy. Subs: Ilan, da Costa, Tomkins, Diamanti, Daprela, Noble and Mido.

Like Watching Paint Dry

So we were out of the tough patch and we had a good chance of picking up point down at Pompey. However, it seemed like both teams didn't turn up. I dont really know what to report on this... 2 shots on target from both teams... 1 clear cut chance for both sides which you can probably tell was not put away. The best bit of the day was seeing 2 good set of supporters having a good sing-a-long. Lets hope we do not peform like this next week or I wont be too impressed.

Portsmouth 0

West Ham 0

Last edited:
this looks like one of them 'dark horse' stories :p just read this now and its very good. :) i'll be coming back to check much more now :D

Last edited:
Really like your layout, and some good results there. Rated 5* :)

So the Pompey game was over, thank god. We needed a better peformance this week...

West Ham V Wolves
Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Behrami, Stanislas, Cole and Ilan. Subs; McCarthy, da Costa, Tomkins, Diamanti, Daprella, Noble and Mido.

Hennessey, Foley, Bautista, Mancienne, Berra, Castillo, Kightly, Surman, Milijas, Henry and Doyle. Subs: Murray, Halford, Stearman, Stocker, Ebanks-Blake, Zubar and Elokobi.

Cole Cuts In To Double Figures

This game was a must win and the vibe around the stadium could tell you that we had to press on and make sure we can cement top stop. We started lively and had some good chances missed by Cole and Ilan. We kept on hacking away and got our just reward in the 17th minute when a firm pass by Parker to the big man, Carlton Cole gave him time to turn and shoot bottom corner, great finish and one up. We kept on going and we really should of been 3 up by the half hour mark but instead it was 1-1. Out of the blue a bad throw by Green left Faubert in a spot of bother who got pinched by Surman, he gave it to Doyle who smashed it bottom corner, good finish and it was back to all square. Not many chances were created after that and I told the boys at half time that they wern't doing much wrong it was just a bit unlucky, just keep going. Chances were far from few but we couldn't find the target, I could hear the fans mumbling and groaning, the tension was on. I got Mido to warm up and was going to bring off Cole but before I had the chance to turn around to tell Mido to warm up a tidy through ball from Ilan left Cole one on one and it was the big mans 10th of the season. I had missed it! Although I was gutted I had Steve Clarke to tell me what happened, I couldn't really understand his accent so I told him to shutup and wait till MOTD. Wolves game back into the game and they had some great chances. The game lagged on and when the final whistle went the fans were really pleased. We stayed 10th but we were gaining on Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn who were all sitting just above us.

West Ham 2
Cole (19, 68)

Wolves 1
Doyle (33)

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Really like your layout, and some good results there. Rated 5* :)

charby - thanks fella. Lot you been saying that, suppose ill be seeing this layout around the forums soon :)

Last edited:
Great layout! :)
A word of advice, edit out the green thing between posts, it makes it look better ;)

So the gap was closing and we had another great chance to pick up 3 points...

Hull V West Ham
Myhill, Golanski, Dawson, Zayatte, Gardner, Mendy, Halmosi, Juarez, Bulland, Altidore and Zaki. Subs: Duke, Geovanni, Marney, Fagan, Kilbane, Hunt and Garcia.

Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Parker, Kovac, Behrami, Stanislas, Cole and McCarthy. Subs: Ilan, da Costa, Tomkins, Diamanti, Daprela, Collison and Mido.

McCarthy Makes Mates Quick

So I was having trouble finding another striker to partner Cole, this time it was McCarthy's turn :) . I told the boys to take shots from long range because lets admit it, Hull have a big keeper problem. It seemed to pay off early doors when Cole picked up on a loose pass by Bullard, through ball to McCarthy who made it 1-0, maybe we had found a partner. Hull came back strong and withing 6 minutes they were level, a good run from Halmosi down the left wing saw him put in a devious looking ball which saw Mendy run onto the end of it, great header. 1-1. The game died down big time and it was very dull. We took hold of the game in the 35th minute and start to piling on pressure from the front men. It didn't take long to break the shakey defence of Hull down with a neat one-two from McCarthy to Cole which saw Cole one-on-one who rifled the ball top corner. Great finish and we were 2-1 up. We took control from there on and we never really looked back. Half time board was put up, 3 minutes added on. The 3 minutes were up and I was making my way down to the tunnel when I heard the West Ham fans shout 'go'on!' McCarthy had been slipped in by Cole and there was his second of the game. Right on the stroke of half time we were 3-1 up and looking comfortable. I told the boys to keep at it and just keep attacking them. Hull were pressing and we were struggling. It was a big worry and when they scored from a Gardner header in the 66th minute, bums were off seat. We came back into the game but only have half chances. It was a big battle in the midfield and we were coming out on top thanks to the help of Parker and Kovac. The whistle went and we had grabbed more point, result!

Hull 2
Mendy (11)
Gardner (66)

West Ham 3
McCarthy (4, 45+4)
Cole (36)

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:32 PM ----------

So out of them 3 'easier' games we had picked up a total of 7 points, we was going better than I thought. However, there had to be a blip somewhere along the line...

Chelsea V West Ham
Cech, Bosingwa, Cole, Terry, Carvalho, Mikel, Essien, Cole, Lampard, Drogba and Cabanas. Subs: Hilario, Zhirkov, Deco, Alex, Obasi, Malouda and Dyer.

Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Parker, Kovac, Behrami, Stanislas, Cole and McCarthy. Subs: Ilan, da Costa, Tomkins, Diamanti, Daprela, Collison and Mido.

Chelsea Squeeze 3 Points Out Of Green

We had done well against Chelsea this year with a win and a narrow loss but them two games were both at home, we had to go to West London for this one and I think we knew we could be in for a bruising. It showed earlier on. The force of Drogba and Cabanas was making Upson and Gabbidon look like dumb and dumber. Even though them to were getting bounced around the football pitch, Robert Green was staying firm. The first time he played Chelsea he done well and he was doing the same again, he loved playing against them. We must of had the one shot in the first half with them having too many but the score remained goaless. I told the boys that they got to put some more effort in, if it wern't for Green we would be 3 or 4-0 down by now. They started to show a bit more effort but the class was on a diffrent level to ours. Even though Green was making save after save, in the 54th minute a 25 yard volley from the enemey of them all, Fat Frank saw Chelsea 1-0 up and the West Ham fans groaning. It's hard to be a West Ham fan when alot of your rivals are much better than you, its horrible to have to deal with the stick. We carried on battling but Chelsea wanted more. They wern't going to get more from Green as he saved a one-on-one with Drogba and Cabanas. The full-time whistle went and we had put in a decent-ish looking performance. Green got man of the match and Ancelotti had the time to say how good Green was looking, alot of respect for the man. If Green aint number one for the World Cup then who is...

Chelsea 1
Lampard (54)

West Ham 0

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

So the Chelsea game was over and to only lose 1-0 was an acheivement, thanks Robbo :) Now back to the last 'easy' game for a couple of games...

West Ham V Burnley
Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Behrami, Diamanti, Collison, Cole and McCarthy. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Stanislas, Ilan and Mido

Penny, Alexander, Kalvenes, Caldwell, Duff, Elliot, Guerrero, McDonald, Gudjohnsen, Rodriguez and Fletcher. Subs: Jensen, Mears, Eckersley, McCann, Nimani, Edgar and Carlisle.

McCarthy Makes It 18

So another one of them 'easier' games... Maybe one of them 'dire' games. Heres the stats for the game. West Ham 6 on 3 off. Burnley 1 on 0 off. We were looking really good at the back, 8th best in the league. I think thats why Burnley never really got going :) We had a couple of half chances in the first half but nothing to really excite the crowd. The half time whistle took an age to come around and there was the odd clap here and there in the crowd.. It didn't really change in the second half either. Mistakes were being made and the fans were started to moan 'take Diamanti off!' 'get Stanislas on!' I was starting to panic so got some of the lads to warm up to calm them down. With only 20 minutes to go the sweat had cooled off, a neat ball by Cole saw McCarthy one-on-one and with a boy of his finishing talent he wern't going to miss. 1-0 up and I really couldn't see Burnley scoring. I made a couple of changes and that was that. Burnley had now not won for 18 games and we were up to 9th in the table, Europa League anyone?

West Ham 1
McCarthy (71)

Burnley 0

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

So the league would have to sit aside for the moment because we was in the big one, the FA Cup. It wasn't going to be easy though...

Newcastle V West Ham (FA Cup)
Harper, Simpson, Enrique, Coloccini, S.Taylor, R.Taylor, Jonas, Barton, Smith, Bratu and Al-Qahtani. Subs: Krul, Lovenkrands, Guthrie, Ameobi, Alex, Nolan and Pancrate.

Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Behrami, Stanislas, Collison, Cole and McCarthy. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Noble, Diamanti, Ilan and Mido.

Ilan Stunner Silences St.James Park

So we were playing a top of the Championship, Newcastle. Also, I was playing against 2 unknown strikers who had already baggged 10 between them. I took it for granted and they both had 2 good half chances earlier on. With 10 minutes in they had already had 2 shots. We put a bit of pressure on them to see if they could handle it, they crumbled. We had 4 consecutive corners and when Collison had the ball at his feet, Steven Taylor came in with a rash challenge which saw the ref point to the spot. For some reason Gabbidon felt he could take it, he scored and we were 1-0 up. Good start. We carried on attacking them hard but coudln't get another. Barton should of made it 1-1 but Tomkins was there to save it off the line. The half-time whistle came around quick and I just gave the boys some encouragement, they were getting too much into the game, stop them. They didn't really listen, they were having chance after chance and when they scored it wasn't a supirse. The Saudi Arabian striker, Yaser Al-Qahtani picked the ball up on the edge of the area and drove it into the bottom of the net. I was on the panick up, I really didn't want a replay and worse of all I didn't want to go out. They were dominating us and things had to change. I bought on Ilan and Mido for McCarthy and Cole. It didn't do much diffrence and I could feel the side given up. However, one man didnt. With 3 minutes to go the ball was picked up by Mido who nodded it on to Ilan.. from 25 yard the ball flew into the top of the net! Great strike and I was over the moon. He showed he affection but taking off his shirt which got him a yellow card. The game was over and we were delighted, Ilan had proved he was worthy!

Newcastle 1
Al-Qahtani (66)

West Ham 2
Gabbidon (pen 11)
Ilan (87)

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

So we were through to the next round of the cup and got an away draw at Leicester, should be a good one but first i was back to a daunting task in the league...

Liverpool V West Ham
Riena, Carragher, Insua, Kyrgiakos, Agger, Maschernao, Plessis, Benayoun, Reira, Leroy and Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Kuyt, Gerrard, N'Gog, Darby, Maxi Rodriguez, Aquilani.

Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Noble, Behrami, Collison, Cole, McCarthy. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Stanislas, Diamanti, Ilan and Mido.

Cole Injury Adds To Insult

With Gerrard out of the side you would think we had a chance... it didn't seem to matter. Livepool came out all guns blazing and were having chance after chance but it was looking like it was going to be on of them days for Rob Green. Livepool couldn't get passed him and the half-time whistle came with the scoreline still 0-0. I told the boys I want to see more effort from then but it was just like the Chelsea game, they tried but were just getting outclassed. However, it was still 0-0 with half hour to go and I said to Steve Clarke we might knick something hear. I should of just shutup because 6 minutes later the sub Maxi Rodriguez caught the ball on his chest from 25 yards, let it drop and smashed it into the left middle of the goal, good finish and that was our chance of taking anything from the game gone. They kept on pressing and we just couldn't do much except from defend. 10 minutes later, weak defending left Kuyt with a free header from a yard out and he made it 2-0. This game was over and it was what I exepected. The final whistle went and the Kop roared with West Ham fans head down making the long journey home.

Liverpool 2
Maxi Rodriguez (66)
Kuyt (75)

West Ham 0

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

We had the Liverpool game out the way and we now had a winnable game coming up...

West Ham V Wigan
Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Noble, Behrami, Collison, Cole and Diamanti. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Stanislas, Parker, Ilan and Mido.

Kirkland, Spector, Pocognoli, Bramble, Scharner, Caldwell, Diame, Watson, Kennedy, N'Zogbia and Palermo. Subs: Stojkovic, Melchiot, Amaya, Koumas, Rodallega, Edman and Love.

Spector Gives 3 Points Away

Wigan came to Upton Park and we wanted a bit of revenge after the late Gomez goal which gave them all the 3 points up at the DW Stadium. The game started quick and before I could take my seat Spector had giving away a foul on the edge of the area. Noble stepped up and smashed it top corner from 20-odd yards out. 1-0 and it had only be 1 and a half minutes. We carried on with another good chance for Cole but wasn't converted. The game carried on and by every minute Wigan were getting more involved in the game. By half-time they were really in top gear and how they N'Zogbia hadn't scored, i'll never know. I gave the boys some encouragement but it really didn't seem to make a huge difference. Chance after chance for Wigan and they still couldn't score. Time was ticking on and I made some changes to try and give us more of a chance. It didnt make a diffrence and Wigan kept coming. Full-time was coming and with seconds to go a late Paul Scharner header went so close. The full-time whistle went and I was relieved as much as the fans. Another win which was keeping us in the top half of the table.

West Ham 1
Noble (2)

Wigan 0

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

It was time to leave the league out for now and time to turn to the cup...

Leicester V West Ham
Weale, Neilson, Castedo, Hobbs, McGivern, Gradel, Kermorgant, King, Wellens, Gallagher and Fryatt. Subs; Logan, Dyer, Wesolowski, DJ Campbell, Morrison, Ajdarevic and Adams.

Stech, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Noble, Behrami, Stanislas, Cole and Ilan. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Collison, Parker, Diamanti and Mido.

West Ham Go Marching On

So a another Championship side away but this one was going to be a bit easier, I hoped. The game was very dull, I mean as bad as the Pompey away game. When the first chance of the game came it ended up in being a goal. A deep cross from Gabbidon saw Ilan rise to score from a close range header. 1-0 up and well we couldn't say if we were comfortable or not really. However, we did start to show the diffrence in class and with only the 3rd chance of the game we were 2-0 up. A neat bit of passing football from the midfield saw a ball end up on Cole's chest which took a lucky bounce and fell nicely for him. He smashed it into the bottom to the corner and we were 2-0 up, this was over... or was it. The first half ended soon after this and told the boys to just carry on. Lets practice on our shooting. The second half started and thre was only one team who was having shooting practice and it was Leicester City. They were looking lethal and how Wellens didn't score in the 60th minute I will never know. He was litteraly on the goal line and was able to find Rob Greens feet. The game went on and they just couldn't find an opening. The board come up with 3 minutes coming up and before the commentator could announce it, Wellens had been put through and tucked away a neat goal into the bottom left hand corner. 2-1 and I wasn't expect the score to change now. Leicester pushed on but couldn't create another chance which saw us into the next round. Bring on the 5th round!

Leicester 1
Wellens (89)

West Ham 2
Ilan (28)
Cole (32)

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:34 PM ----------

We went into work the next day to do a bit of light training and watch the draw together... We couldn't of asked for a better draw... NOT! Chelsea... Away! However we were back in the league and had a tough'en...

West Ham V Spurs
Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Behrami, Collison, Cole and Ilan. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Stanislas, Noble, Diamanti, Mido and Tomkins.

Gomes, Corluka, Assou-Ekotto, Woodgate, Bassong, Lennon, Modric, Kranjcar, Palacios, Crouch and Defoe. Subs: Walker, Bale, Dawson, Bentley, Keane, Naughton and Huddlestone.

Spurs Ease Past Hammers

Now on FM I always have my bogey teams. My two are Spurs and Liverpool, I really do struggle to get points of this two. It showed by the end of the game against Spurs with them having16 shots to my 5. Another big London derby for the fans to look forward to. It didn't take them long to start dredding it. They came out the blocks quick and when a ball from a corner fell on the edge of the area to Wilson Palacios it got worse for us. The Honduras international fired the ball into the corner of Green's net and it was truley stunning stike on the volley. Spurs fans were loving it, Hammers wern't. West Ham decided to wake up after this. We started having the odd half chance but nothing compared to the Spurs attack force were having a go at our goal. Green was having one of his days again, he really had saved our goal diffrence this year. The half-time whistle came around and I just tried to encourage everyone but they seemed more interested in getting back at them 'Chelsea scum' as Matty Upson put it. They went out there and were not up to scratch, once again! Half-hearted tackles and misplaced passes were our downfall and when Crouch got his head on the end of a Modric cross, it was curtains for West Ham. Fans were moaning and groaning and I wasn't in the best of moods. Another loss to Spurs. The game went on and Spurs obviously sat back and just played the game out. A very poor peformance for such an important game.

West Ham 0

Spurs 2
Palacios (20)
Crouch (68)

Last edited:
yeah good story how did the spurs game go

Just about to have a big write up! Some big story going on here :)

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

So we were sitting in a comfotable 10th place in the league knowing that we could cement a top half table quite easily. But, it didn't get much easier after the Spurs game...

Man Utd V West Ham
van der Sar, O'Shea, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Park Ji-Sung, Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Rooney and Berbatov. Subs: Foster, Diouf, Fletcher, Evans, Macheda, Scholes and Brown.

Green, Faubert, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Behrami, Collison, Noble and Cole. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Stanislas, Ilan, Diamanti, Mido and Tomkins.

Berbatov Waits Till Late

Well if your on a bit of a bad run there is one place you don't want to go and that is Old Trafford. I decided to change to a 4-5-1 for this game to see what would happen and to be honest it worked well, we were dominating the midfield but were just short up front which was expecting. However, it didn't mean that they wern't the better side. They were defending from the front and were having chances after chances but there was one man who wouldn't let em' through, you guessed it, Robert Green. Rooney was getting in his usual fustrated mood after Green made 2 shots after each other to keep the little monster out. The half-time whistle came and I just tried to ask the players to hold the ball a bit more and fustrate them. It didn't seem to quite happen with us not having 1 shot at all in the whole game! We were holding out and time was ticking on. I said to Clarky, we may do this and once again I had jinxed it. With 3 minutes to go. A ball in my Nani saw Berbatov free at the back post who just about beat Green. Man United held on, well they didn't have much to defend. Rob Green got man of the match and I looked at the best keepers in the league on average rating and he was No.2 behind Gomes :)

Man Utd 1
Berbatov (87)

West Ham 0

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

BBCSR - Hello and welcome back to BBC Sport Radio. We have Tom Poulson on the line who is able to talk to us about his squad and the January transfer window. Tom, nice to speak to you, hows things?

TP - It's great actually, I'm loving managing in the Premiership and I'm really proud of the boys so far.

BBCSR - Your sitting in a comfotable 11th which was expected, you fancy top half?

TP - Course, I would like us to get 8th which is well possible but we will see how things go.

BBCSR - 2 games without a win now, Sunderland away next, what you wanting?

TP - 3 points obviously but you can't win everything. It would be nice to go up there and get a result but its going to be a tough one.

BBCSR - What about the FA Cup, whats your prediction on how far your going to get.

TP - To get one over Chelsea will keep me happy but at Stamford Bridge its a big ask for the boys.

BBCSR - Ok, I've seen you've been a bit quiet in January but have made some small moves, could you tell us on these.

TP - Sure, as we all know we have a little finance problem at West Ham and I was wanting to cut down the wage bill a bit more so I decided to get rid of 3 senior players. Calum Davenport and Luis Boa Morte both had there contract terminated and Peter Krucuz was a free transfer to Salernitana.

BBCSR - Peter Krucuz was your back up goalkeeper, what you going to do there?

TP - Well now Stech is back from loan at Leeds I will use him as backup but I don't really expect to have to change it around.

BBCSR - I understand. Was there any other players sold or loaned.

TP - Well as we saw at the beggining I like to loan my youth out. Some of them had come back so I sent them back out to diffrent teams. Tony Brooks went out to Dorchester, Zavon Hines went out to Blackpool, Daniel Kearns ended up at Kidderminster, Oliver Lee and the new boy who had signed a professional contract Sam Cowler both went to Barnet. The other new boy Calum Driver ended up at Maidenhead. Erm... Oh Greog Grasser went to Cheltenham, Matty Fry to Crawley and Bondz N'Gala to Aldershot. I think thats it. :)

BBCSR - You don't hang around do you. Just out of interest did you buy anyone?

TP - I did snap up a couple of youth players acutally. Jan Alnwick from Newcaslte and Tim Dale from MK Dons, both for 5k each.

BBCSR - I'll take it there both youth prospects then.

TP - They are indeed and if they learn from Robert Green they have got a good chance of being 2 great keepers.

BBCSR - Ok well thanks for taking time out to speak to us and all the best for the season.

TP - Thanks a lot.

TP - Tom Poulson
BBCSR - BBC Sport Radio

Like the way the starting line up is set out, Keep it up :)

We had moved down to 11th after that loss and there was a race on for 8th between 4 teams. However, that wasn't important. Trying to pick up points away here was more important...

Sunderland V West Ham
Gordon, Dallku, Paredes, Turner, Kilgallon, Jankovic, Zenden, Cana, Cattermole, Jones and Bent. Subs: Fulop, Campbell, dos Santos, Nosworthy, Healy, Richardson, McCartney.

Green, Behrami, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Tomkins, Kovac, Parker, Stanislas, Collison, Cole and Diamanti. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Faubert, Noble, Ilan, Mido and Stech.

Sunderland Make It 3 And Take 3

So if we lost this one it was going to be 3 losses in a row and I could see the fans were getting a bit annoyed. We didn't particually start how I was hoping. Sunderland were ******** on us to be it simple and I wasn't too happy with it. Bent and Jones were too good for us and if these lot went down I would be straight in for either on of them. Jones got his reward on 20th minute with an unbelieable chip from 30 yards. Green should of done better, maybe bigging him up so much wern't so much of a good idea. It seemed that after we let in a goal we seemed to pick ourselves up but that wasn't good enough, Diamanti missed a good chance and I was getting really ****** off not being able to find someone decent enough to partner Cole upfront and with McCarthy now out for 3 months after African Cup of Nations we were having to rely on Mido, Ilan or Diamanti. The half-time whistle came around and I took my aggression out on them. I was not pleased and it seemed to shake them up a bit. The second half started and we looked a much brighter team, only if we started the game like this the score line could of been diffrent. Cole had a good chance and he was playing well with the little Italian. With only 5 minutes gone in the second half we had had 2 clear cut chances but after Cole's chance Sunderland went in numbers up the other end and thanks to Jones they were 2-0 up. This game was over and my water bottle went up in the air... ******* useless. The West Ham fans were starting to abuse the players which is not nice to see but the West Ham faithful are passionate and if they don't get what they want there not happy. The game dragged on and I walked down the tunnel with minutes to go. I went in the Sunderland dressing room afterwards and shook Steve Bruce's hand who could understand my fustrating.

Sunderland 2
Jones (19, 53)

West Ham 0

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Quality! :) Well Done.

Like the way the starting line up is set out, Keep it up :)

SamScFc - Thanks :)
Bolasj - Yeh I agree, looks more proper like that :) Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Fans were getting annoyed, we were slipping and points were needed, a must winner!!!

West Ham V Stoke
Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Kovac, Parker, Stanislas, Collison, Mido and Cole. Subs: Behrami, da Costa, Daprela, Faubert, Diamanti and Ilan.

Sorensen, Taylor, Pugh, Cort, Collins, Berreri, Solari, Faye, Arismendi, Beattie and Tuncay. Subs: Simonsen, Wilkinson, Davies, Whelan, Kitson, Whitehead and Diao.

Miiiitwoooooo

It was time to change the upfront and this time I went for the 2 big men against a very strong side. The fans were buzzing and the players seemed it too but for some reason we just didn't have the spark. Beattie going close in the earlier stages which started the West Ham faitful off again. Mido came into life with a early shot and rallied the fans on but there was no real spark from anyside, a goal was needed in the game or I may shoot myself. The half-time whistle didn't take long to get here and boos ringed around the Boleyn Ground. I went in the dressing room and asked the boys if they heard that. Go and change there opinions! The team-talk seemed to help and were were looking like we had a bit of life in us but no goal yet. The half hour mark came up and I was panicking. I got Diamanti to warm up with Ilan to keep the fans happy. I shouted out to Cole and Mido 'do something or your both off!' In seconds a good ball from Collison to Mido's feet and bang... 'The first goal of the game is scored by number 11... Midoooooooo.' We were one up and maybe we had it in us to win this. I brang the boys back after there warm up and was going to take off the strikers and bring on 2 pairs of fresh legs. However, 10 minutes later he had done it again... A neat pass from Noble to Mido from 25 yards out saw him turn on it and smash it into the same corner, great finish! I told Ilan to go and sit down who didn't seem to happy. This game was over and we had held on to a good 3 points, we were still in 11th but only 3 points away! Come on you irons!

West Ham 2
Mido (59, 69)

Stoke 0

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

This was the game we had been waiting for, how big this was going to be...

Chelsea V West Ham (Fa Cup 5th Rnd)
Cech, Bosingwa, A.Cole, Terry, Carvalho, Mikel, Essien, J.Cole, Lampard, Sturridge and Anelka. Subs: Hilario, Zhirkov, Deco, Drogba, Alex, Ballack and Malouda.

Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Kovac, Parker, Noble, Stanislas, Collison, Mido and Cole. Subs: da Costa, Behrami, Daprela, Faubert, Diamanti and Ilan.

Poulson Praises Players

So no Drogba in the starting X11 did we have a chance? Early on it didn't look like it. The West Ham faitful had made the short journey and had packed out the Shed End and there was only one team you could hear. However, on the pitch it was a bit diffrent. Early chance from Strurridge had us knowing it was going to be a tough afternoon, this time it didn't see us let in a goal to know how to play football. A good bit of footbal saw a wasted oppurtunity missed by Stanislas but at least we were looking live. The half went on and it was looking 50/50. Drogba was sent out to warm up and I was waiting for the moment that his number come up on the board. The half-time whistle went and the Hammers fans were already thinking about taking them back to theres, mad eh? I told the boys to keep there heads but one **** head didn't want to listen! We come out for the first half and Chelsea only had 9 men on the pitch, I was wondering what was happening. Then I saw Drogba's number come up... great! He came on along side Deco and things got so much worse! When you ask people to hammer Drogba you don't mean like absolutely murder the ****. Mark Noble obviously looked at it the wrong way. It was horrendous and I was amazed that Drogba actually played on. A straight red and it was only the 57th minute, great. I looked at him in disgust and I think he knew he had had a rupert. Things got worse when Gabbbidon needed a bit of treatment which left us 3 at the back and Anelka was in acres of space when Deco slipped him the ball. One-on-one with Green and Chelsea were 1 up, wankers! We carried on and were battling on. With 10 minutes to go I was rallying the boys on and from being a manager I changed into a commentator. 'Ilunga put it to Ilan, ILAN! Collison wants, out wide! Put it in there, Stanislas go! Stanislas.. Stanislas... STANISLASSSSSSSSS!!!!' A ball in the box from Collison saw Stanislas get in front of Cashley Cole and with Cech misreading it Stanislas placed the ball into the emptey net. I thought the Shed End was going to fall apart it was that noisy. I was jumping up and down. I was going to run on the pitch at one point and celebrate with them but thought best not to. With 10 minutes to go we battled on and we earned ourselves a replay back at the Boleyn. What a game!

Chelsea 1
Anelka (62)

West Ham 1
Stanislas (83)
Noble s/o (57)

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:46 PM ----------

The players were buzzing after the Chelsea game and I felt there could only be one outcome in this game...

Birmingham V West Ham
Hart, Carr, Queudrue, Boyce, R.Johnson, O'Shea, McFadden, Michel, Tanio, Ferguson, Benitez. Subs: Doyle, Ridgewell, Dann, Larsson, Jerome, Parnaby and Vignal.

Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Behrami, Collison, Mido and Cole. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Faubert, Diamanti, Ilan,

West Ham Blows Birmingham Away

With the players playing so well I was certain that we would smash Birmingham and when we were in the changing rooms before the game you could feel the buzz in there. I told the boys to go and do as they did against Chelsea and it didnt take long for us to get going, 28 seconds to be exact. Collison down left wing, ball to Cole, Cole see's the run of Mido, through ball to Mido and we were 1-0 up. I hadn't even taken my seat! The West Ham fans were happy and so was I, for once we started well! We kept on going and the attacking mentality in the team was a real threat. However when you do that you are leaving yourslef bare at the back and when Chrisitan Benitez picked the ball up on the edge of the area in the 5th minute we seemed to come back down to earth. He turned on the ball and squeezed the ball through Upson's legs which gave Green no hope who couldn't see it till late. 1-1 and we needed to get oursleves back on track. Brimingham were not really attacking and we were taking full advantage of this. However, I got Ilunga and Fauber to be more aware and we were looking good in both areas of the pitch and we got our just reward in the 17th minute. Cole was pulled back by Boyce as he went to follow up the rebound, it looked harsh but what do you expect from football these days. With not a real penalty taker on the pitch I sent Collison up to put it away who comfortable smashed the ball in the top left hand corner. 2-1. The half went on and seemed to dull down a bit. Half chances from both sides but nothing major. The half-time whistle came around and the players knew they needed another one but I just told them to be carfeul! We went out second half as the same, looking very positive. We were making chances upon chances but couldn't beat another England candidate, Joe Hart. However, with half hour left Parker played the ball through to our goal machine Carlton Cole who buried it from close range. 3-1 and this one was over. We kept on attacking but I wasn't too keen on going for more so I changed to a 5-4-1 and we played the game out. A good win and we were getting closer to the teams in the top 10.

Birmingham 1
Benitez (5)

West Ham 3
Mido (1)
Collison (pen 19)
Cole (67)

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

So we had our win in the league but this is what they wanted, this is what they were waiting for...

West Ham V Chelsea (FA Cup 5th Rnd Rep)
Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbidon, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Behrami, Collison, Mido and Cole. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Faubert, Diamanti and Ilan.

Cech, Belletti, Cole, Terry, Carvalho, Mikel, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Drogba and Cabanas. Subs: Hilario, Cork, Anelka, Obasi, Deco, Alex and Zhirkov.

Always Believe Innnn...

So this was it, this was like a cup final to some of the fans out there. Some of them just thought we were going to be out of this cup by the end of the night but looking how we had played against Chelsea I really did fancy the upset and there was no better way to start it! The fans were buzzing and were really getting behind the team while giving the Chelsea fans much abuse. Behrami won the ball earlier on and saw the run of Mido. Mido progressed down the wing and saw only Carlton Cole on his own, he aimed for the strikers head but was way off. Belletti headed the ball out to the edge of the area which saw Collison pick up the ball. Shouts of 'shoot' rang around the stadium, he dummied it past Belletti, fake shot against Carvalho and hit this peacher which hit the crosspiece and bounce into the net. The crowd went mental, the odd fan running on the pitch. It was so mad I thought Steve Clarke was going to *** me. However, there had only been 3 minutes, we needed to keep our head in the game. Chelsea came back and were really going for it. Cabanas made a couple of chances for himself but nothing major, we were looking more threatining. Chelsea kept coming and in the 20th minute a whipped in ball saw JT rise at the back post but how he got that high I don't know! He misjudge his jump on the back of Tomkins and saw where the ball was aiming to, just infront of Tomkins. He pushed the boy into the goal and Tomkins had put one through his own net. I was fuming, even the 4th offical knew it was wrong and when JT stuck his fist up to Carlo Ancelotti I stuck my middle finger up to him, thats was going to cost later on! The West Ham fans didn't give up on us. We kept on going and in remarkable fashion we had pulled oursleves back in front. We were passing it around the edge of the area when Parker saw the creative run from Behrami. Behrami was on the corner line and only had one chance which was to cross. Luckily one man had made the run, Carlton Cole! A beautfiul weighted ball saw the big man beat JT and Carvalho the air and give us the lead. The place went mad, once again! The game went on with the buzz still in the air and both side looks dangerous and it didn't take long for another goal to arrive. 10 minutes later Drogba saw the run of Essien which hadn't been picked up by Kovac who was one-on-one and he was able to just slot it home. 2-2 and what a game this was turning out to be. We carried on with the attacking mentality which was really putting pressure on the Chelsea back 4. We were awarded a free kick about 30 yards and with Ilunga taking it I felt there wouldn't be much of a threat here. However, he stuck the ball with some venom which hit JT straight in the mush which was classical. The ball fell pefectley to the big man and he slotted it home... 3-2 West Ham, I couldn't believe it. Chants of 'Always believe in... CARLTON COLE, COLE!' were chanted around the stadium and he was becoming a firm favourite with the West Ham faitful. The half-time whistle came around and the fans were loving it. A big cheer and round of applause for the players was giving and it was well deserved. The players were talking amongst thereselves and it was hard to keep them quiet. I just told them to keep there heads, we know about there quality so hassle them and don't give it up. So we went out there with the buzz still around the ground and I felt this was one of the best halfs I have seen in a while. Whilst we were 3-2 up we were looking for more and obviously Chelsea were liking this. They came out second half and moved into top gear which was greeted with some good saves by Green. We were doing just as good though. 2 double stops from Cech by Cole saw them still in the game. It was some real end-to-end game. A Bust up between Kovac and Essien got the ground on there feet screaming all kind of things. The best one I heard was 'Shoot the no-good ****', it made me laugh. The game got back on track and time was ticking away, could we do this? For once I hadn't jinxed it. We were into the dying stages, whislte were rining around the stadium. Green pumped it long, and there it was... We had done it! Unreal. Stoke City in the next round, could we go all the way?

West Ham 3
Collison (3)
Cole (24, 42)

Chelsea 2
Tomkins o/g (21)
Essien (34)

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:14 PM ----------

The boys had to re-focus on the league and what better way than a London derby...

West Ham V Fulham
Green, Tomkins, Ilunga, Gabbbidon, Upson, Kovac, Parker, Behrami, Collison, Mido and Cole. Subs: da Costa, Daprela, Faubert, Diamanti and Ilan.

Schwarzer, Hughes, Figueroa, Hangeland, Baird, Davies, Kamara, Etuhu, Greening, Socco and Johnson. Subs: Zuberhuler, Kelly, Pantsil, Dempsey, Nevland, Stoor and Konchesky.

Mido Finds His Feet... Both Of Them

If there was one team we loved to play it was Fulham, we rarely losed to them and I was hoping today would be the same. It didn't start very well for both teams with it being very messy and not much happening. With 15 minutes in I told the boys to get down the wings a bit more and it seemed to open the game up much more. Collison was the main threat finding Cole and Mido on 2 occacsions but were unfortunate not to finish them. Fulham were struggling to get in the game and when we made it 1-0 it was much more of a struggle for them. Collison played the ball into Cole who saw the run of Mido who got behind the back 4 and slotted it through the keeper's legs from a rather tight angle, they were really playing well with each other. The second half was not far away and when it blew up I was quite happy to be able to get in the warmth. While we was walking down the tunnel Roy Hodgson was standing behind me and he was really rowing with his players, he was not happy at all. You could see he was going to get them going. I told the boys to watch out for them, they will be coming out much better but the boys were too cocky and gave them too much room. Greening played the ball into the in-form Kamara who slotted the ball past Green, we needed to get back on track. They seemed to react well and 5 minutes later we were back in front. Once again Mido was played in by Cole who made it his second goal of the game. He got injured in the goal and was unfortunately not going to be able to find his hat-trick. We carried on attacking well and we really should of made it 3 with Diamanti. The game went on and it was not very exciting at all for a London derby but we held on and were able to move into the top 10, fantastic!

West Ham 2
Mido (36, 54)

Fulham 1
Kamara (48)

Last edited: