Forum Design Changes: What do you think?

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't already noticed I have made some changes to the way the forums look.

I have added a left column now, so there is now a column on either side of the forums.

I have also changed the way threads look.

Opinions please...

If there is anything you feel needs changing then please let me know.

Probably cause Im skeptical of change but I not too sure on the new profile column to the left that shows how many posts. I liked the idea of all that info to the left.

i think its look great m8 good job much better than anyother fm website

I'll be honest and say i preferred it the way it was. Then again i preferred the old facebook.... now im used to the new one i cant even remember what the old one was lol.

Definitely prefer the new default font and size. Looks really good.

Yeah looks good to me. Shame the font size still doesn't make a lot of peoples posts easier to understand. :)

Looks good. Rather than have it all on the right its better split evenly. Might take some getting used to tho.

My only worry about 2 columns is that users with 1024x768 (or smaller) resolution have to scroll right slightly to see all of the right column. It's nothing major, just more of a nuisance for them. But I think that resolution accounts for at least 20% of our visitors which is quite high.

If there are any users who do have this problem then I would like to know your thoughts.

My only worry about 2 columns is that users with 1024x768 (or smaller) resolution have to scroll right slightly to see all of the right column. It's nothing major, just more of a nuisance for them. But I think that resolution accounts for at least 20% of our visitors which is quite high.

If there are any users who do have this problem then I would like to know your thoughts.

I have this problem but it doesnt seem to big a deal tbh. The shortcuts I use the most are on the left so its all good.

Keep up the good work.

EDIT: I noticed you have introduced an award system. I dont know if i just have not seen it yet but maybe a page showing what the criteria would be for each award. Then maybe a monthly comp with a small prize for whoever has the most awards?

Last edited:
I have this problem but it doesnt seem to big a deal tbh. The shortcuts I use the most are on the left so its all good.

Keep up the good work.

EDIT: I noticed you have introduced an award system. I dont know if i just have not seen it yet but maybe a page showing what the criteria would be for each award. Then maybe a monthly comp with a small prize for whoever has the most awards?

Yeah that's why I moved the navigation to the left to make sure that no matter what resolution it would be in view still.

There isn't a link to the page yet but it can be found here. There are only a few awards at the moment but I was thinking of addings things like awarding users for important threads, tactic of the month, member of the month, story of the month etc....

Looks great Sean as always. I say we keep it this way

Awards are fun aswell :)

Bring back the member of the month aswell, not had that about in a few years

I like the idea of where the contact images are now but I like the old layout when your post was actually longer... and the navigation bar was on the right...

I like the awards too though... cause I got one lol :p

On another forum i used when i could never get on FMB they had a section called 'The Managers Diary'. Basically people posted FM based stories, short or long. I along with many others I enjoyed reading them and people got awards like Author of the Month etc.

this aint in the disscusson or anything but ur short a mod lol GREGOR aint been on 4 time

At first I thought it was cramped but I'm used to it already.

One thing I would say is the "Recent Threads" box on the left is a good addition (Unless it was somewhere there before and I didn't notice it), although is there any way it could be moved up, either be it on the left hand side or switch it to the right underneath the Advertisement? Just to make it easier to view at first sight as I will forget about it unless I train my mind to remember it's there, and I don't have the best memory :p

At first I thought it was cramped but I'm used to it already.

One thing I would say is the "Recent Threads" box on the left is a good addition (Unless it was somewhere there before and I didn't notice it), although is there any way it could be moved up, either be it on the left hand side or switch it to the right underneath the Advertisement? Just to make it easier to view at first sight as I will forget about it unless I train my mind to remember it's there, and I don't have the best memory :p

I've moved it to the right now. Do you prefer it there? Should be easier for people to use now and a quick way to view the latest posts from anywhere on the forums.

I've moved it to the right now. Do you prefer it there? Should be easier for people to use now and a quick way to view the latest posts from anywhere on the forums.

Yeah that's fantastic Sean, it just means we can see the latest posts when surfing around the forum and helps keeping how many windows I have open to a minimum whilst running FM to keep the loading speeds smooth. Thanks :D