Franky's PHANTOMS Tactic for FM 17 - plug and play!!!!

crusho79

Reaction score
Hey guys, first of all, this is not my tactic, but i spoke with the creator of the tactic and i have his permission to post the tactic in here.

Franky's PHANTOMS Tactic for FM 17 - plug and play!!!!

1. Based on Jurgen Klopp's 'gegen press' philosophy with high pressing and aiming to aggressively win the ball back in midfield in order to get the counter attack under way but without sacrificing defensive shape.
2.The F9 draws the opponent's defensive line high up the pitch in order to facilitate lightning fast counter attacks.
3. Plug and play so no need to change mentalities at any stage..... stay on ATTACKING mentality permanently, even with small teams!!!
4. Higher scoring. The movement of the front 3 plus BBM is designed to absolutely rip apart the opposition's defensive shape..... regularly score 4 or more goals in a game!!!
It's called PHANTOMS because your 3 attackers plus BBM get forward undetected, phantom like. The opposition defence just can't handle the movement, similar to Liverpool's front 4 at present and at least one of them is usually left unmarked with an unchallenged attempt on goal. The base premise of the tactic is to draw the opposition defence high up the pitch and then hit them with a lightning fast counter before they can recover. There's actually 3 different modes of attack so depending on how your opponents are set up, your team will deploy the following strategies..............

1) Counter attack culminating in a killer through ball over the top for any of the front 3.

2) Work the ball for the inside forwards/wingers or overlapping wing backs to get a cross in.
3) Work the ball in and around the box with high tempo, one touch passing that leaves the opposition defenders chasing shadows (or phantoms as I prefer to call them).

The two aims of creating this tactic were for it to be really fun to deploy with fantastic football on display and for it to be a totally PLUG & PLAY tactic that scores goals but can also hold it's own at the back..... it's more or less as solid at the back as SUPREME and TOTAL DOMINATION but whereas those were more balanced tactics where the approach could be altered by switching mentalities, PHANTOMS is all about relentless attacking to rack up the goals with the philosophy of 'attack is the best form of defence'.

PLAYERS REQUIRED:

Wing Backs – These guys are key players in the team as they provide a crossing option from out wide so decent crossing ability is still a must. High stamina, work rate and dribbling ability will also increase their effectiveness.
PPM to set (in order of importance)......... 1) gets forward whenever possible......... 2) hugs line.
Training focus - crossing or dribbling, whichever is lower.

Centre Backs
- There's a regular centre back in both DCR and DCL positions. One must be quick so he can recover in case an attacker breaks the offside trap.
PPM to set......... 1) runs with ball rarely......... 2) plays short simple passes (if passing ability is poor).
NOTE: The default setting is 'Central Defender' but you need to change that to 'Ball Playing Defender' for any centre back who is better in that role. It's okay two have two BPD's if need be.

DMC – Sits in front of the back four and sweeps up a lot the opposition clearances, thus putting out fires before they start. His ability to win the ball in the middle of the park allows the the front 3 plus both wing backs plus the BBM to operate in a highly attacking manner. Also offers a passing option as he's always unmarked. When it's played to him, he's on the lookout to distribute to the APM or wing backs when they make their runs forward. Must have a high work rate as he'll be charging around, picking up all the loose balls and closing down attackers. A defensively sound, hard working player ...... Schneiderlin being perfect for this role.

PPM to set......... 1) stays back at all times........ 2) tries first time shots........ 3) likes to switch ball to other flank.
Training focus - 'passing' if less than 13, otherwise 'long shots'.

Box to Box Midfielder -
Gets forward quickly to support the striker and provide a presence in the box for all the crosses coming in and defensively works hard to help the team win the ball back so a high work rate is very important. In order to make the tactic work, it's imperative that he has the PPM of 'gets into opposition area', without which the tactic is just not the same. He's going to be one of your main goalscorers so good finishing and composure are also very important. Decent long shot ability is a bonus, although not a must........ Once again, I cannot stress how important the 'gets into opposition area' PPM is.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) gets forward whenever possible. If he has a long shot attribute of 13+ then 'shoots from distance' and 'shoots with power' then 'tries first time shots'.
Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

Advanced Playmaker
- There's not much to be said about this guy. He's the creative force of the team so anyone who fits the bill with decent passing and vision.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) tries killer balls often....... 3) likes to switch ball to other flank.

Inside Forwards
– There's two of these guys. They're going to be played in on goal with through balls because the opposition defence will almost always be pushed up high as they have no striker to mark so they need to be quick in order to pull away from the defenders once that ball is played through for them and have striker like qualities in order to take advantage.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) gets forward whenever possible....... if quick then the following two PPMs - 3) knocks ball past opponent and 4) likes to try to beat offside trap........ if good passing and vision then 'tries killer balls often'.
Training focus - finishing, composure or dribbling, whichever is less. If he's a winger then add 'crossing' onto the list.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Wingers work just as well as IFs so just use these players in whichever role they are more suited to. It's okay to have a winger on one flank and IF on the other.... really doesn't matter.

False 9 – Comes deep to drag the opposition defensive line high up the pitch. If he receives the ball, he'll either play in the inside forwards or BBM or lay it off simple and drive into the box from deep in anticipation of a cross or a through ball. Either way, he's extremely difficult to mark as he's always on the move. A quick striker will probably work best.

PPM to set........ 'comes deep to get ball' and if good passing and vision then 'tries killer balls often'.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
Use your striker in the SUPPORT role that suits him best, as dictated by the green 'role suitability' circle. So in order of preference if all else is equal........ F9, DLF, DF, CF, TM...... Also set his PPM to 'comes deep to get ball' and if he is quick, 'likes to try to beat offside trap'.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

TACTIC USAGE

Totally plug and play..... just sit back and watch the show

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

Leave them to the assistant manager. However, get one with high attributes for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability and Motivating.

TEAM TALKS

I let the assistant manager deal with team talks as I'm playing the Touch version of the game where you can't do team talks yourself. Obviously, if you know what you're doing then would be better to do them yourself. As with OIs, Just make sure to have a decent assistant manager who has high attributes for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability and Motivating.

Last edited:
Individual and team training?Who should take the corners?

Individual and team training?Who should take the corners?
There`s nothing about training over there, so you should go with the training like before on other saves.

I´m using Total Domination at home and Phantom away.

Results with Liverpool third season:

View attachment 111189

Won PL twice, last season lost finals of CL against Arsenal ( :) ) because we got a red card. I have also been in finals of both cups last season.

I have only bought 3 players so far. DL Jorge from Flamengo, BBM Edson Fernandes from SLB and DM Ronaldo Vieira from Leeds. I sold Lallana, Lovren, Mignolet, Milner and Lucas Leiva.

My first 11:
GK - Karius
DR - Clyne
DL - Jorge/Moreno
DC - Matip, Sakho
DMC - Can
BBM - Henderson
AP - Grujic/Wijnaldum
AMR - Markovic/Mane
AML - Coutinho/Ojo
STC - Origi/Firmino/Sturridge

My OI (credit to Jesaustralia):
View attachment 111188View attachment 111187

Last edited:
Good man crusho I cannot download it from SI now I will try it .. thanks;)

Do you use coutinho as if and mane as a winger? And what roles up top do you change

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This tactic is performing ok but I've tweaked it slightly by ticking "work ball into box" on team instructions which seems to help!

great tactic! i was playing with Franky's total dom 3 days ago and it did well, but wasn't consistent. i've just gone 17 games unbeaten in the league which beats Reaver and total dom.

Do you use coutinho as if and mane as a winger? And what roles up top do you change

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's correct, also Markovic plays as Winger on the right and Ojo plays as Winger on the left. Sturridge and Firmino stay as F9, Origi plays as CF support.

can someone please post team instructions for this tactic so i can try it

with this tactic i won pl, cl and all other english cups with liverpool in 19/20 after i took them over a year before!

Guys, you have to read OP from original thread at Si Forums because there are some things written there that there are not here.