From Grassroots(Vol.2)...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 6K
Brilliant updates, reckon your'll win the league easy as long as the injuries and pointless bookings stop! Got Crawley Town to the Championship in 2 seasons myself and look set for the play-offs but struggling with finances and pointless bookings myself!! So frustrating! Good luck and looking forward to the next update :)

Brilliant updates, reckon your'll win the league easy as long as the injuries and pointless bookings stop! Got Crawley Town to the Championship in 2 seasons myself and look set for the play-offs but struggling with finances and pointless bookings myself!! So frustrating! Good luck and looking forward to the next update :)

Cheers buddy, yeah I've got such a small squad, that key injuries may ruin the good work, but luckily I've managed to bring in one or two new loans at the right time. Promotion would be good then see what happens after. Next update soon. :D

images

Torquay 6 - 2 Northampton
Plainmoor. Att: 4,026

Our biggest win of the season and still without long term injury absentees Robert Olejnik and Rene Howe. Mark Ellis opened the scoring inside the first couple of minutes and moments later it was two nil, with Kevin Nicholson scoring from the penalty spot. Arron Davies halved the deficit two minutes later when he slid home from close range. Gavin Massey got our third just before the half hour mark, with a well placed shot. Massey helped himself to another minutes after the restart to extend our lead further. The on loan striker then grabbed his hat-trick and our fifth with a sublime finish. Arron Davies pulled another back with minutes remaining, but there was still time for Lloyd Macklin to get on the scoresheet and seal a convincing win.

Midway through the week and the injury curse struck again, this time with influential centre back Mark Ellis being ruled out for upto six to seven weeks with a sprained ankle picked up during training. With the transfer window coming to a close and no defender of interest available, I decided to give Lathaniel Rowe-Turner a chance at centre back partnering Brian Saah, normally a left back, Rowe-Turner has filled in on the odd occasion and done very well.
So my injury list now had three key players on it and they weren't close to returning either. With an FA Cup tie at the weekend it gave me an opportunity to fast track some of the promising youngsters from the under 18s.

images

1st Round
Woodley Sports 1 - 6 Torquay
Lambeth Grove Stadium. Att: 709

A cracking performance as we hit six for the second game in a row. We were four nil up by half time, thanks to goals by Taiwo Atieno(2) and Gavin Massey(2). Saul Halpin, making his debut, grabbed his first for the club, volleying home from a tight angle. Damon Lathrope scored from close range for number six. John Plant with the last kick of the game scored a consolation for the non league side.

images

Dag & Red 2 - 2 Torquay
Victoria Road. Att: 4,090

Lee Mansell scored inside the first five minutes with his first of the season. But just before half time, the hosts were awarded a very dodgy penalty, with Mark Arber making no mistake from the spot. Michael Spillane thought he had ended our fine unbeaten run when he scored with only minutes remaining. Straight from the re-start Gavin Massey found himself one on one with the keeper and he made no mistake to keep our run going.

images

Torquay 1 - 1 Afc Wimbledon
Plainmoor. Att: 3,935

It needed another late goal to get us out of jail again on a wet and cold afternoon. Jack Midson capitalised on a defensive error to put the visitors in the lead. We had to wait until the final ten minutes to draw level, when Lloyd Macklin slide in at the far post to equalise.

The last few games gave me the opportunity to give some fringe players a chance to impress and with the injuries I'm facing, the players that came in showed that they can do a suitable job. I'm very pleased with Lathaniel Rowe-Turner, his performances at the heart of the defence have been particularly impressive.
On the back of a busy fixture list, I gave the players a couple of days of to prepare for the tough December that was to follow, with five games in three weeks.

Looking good my friend, liking the imaginative interludes between the matches. Makes a change to these types of stories.

KUTGW.

Looking good my friend, liking the imaginative interludes between the matches. Makes a change to these types of stories.

KUTGW.

Ahh thanks buddy, really appreciate it. Glad it's something abit different, am trying to make it fairly realistic to what may happen in real life. Cheers :D

images

Morecambe 2 - 2 Torquay
The Globe Arena. Att: 1,386

Another two points thrown away as we did so well to take the lead after being reduced to ten men. Andy parrish opened the scoring for the home side, in the first half which was littered with yellow cards, six of them to my players! Brian Saah pulled us level with a typical header at the near post following a corner. Lathaniel Rowe-Turner then picked up his marching orders for a second booking. With the game coming to an end, Kevin Nicholson scored a penalty which looked like securing us three points, but we switched off from the restart and Kevin Ellison fired in a late equaliser.

On the Monday after the game, the club received £1,000 fine from the FA for failing to control the discipline of our players. Which I felt was very harsh as the referee was very quick to book my players, and let similar offences by the opposition go without warning. After watching the game back with the my chairman, he sided with me and told me to let it get to me and keep doing what we had.
It was great to have the backing of the chairman and board and the good news continued during the week as we welcomed back Robert Olejnik and Mark Ellis to training before our crucial game at the weekend.

images

Torquay 1 - 2 Swindon
Plainmoor. Att: 4,351

Our impressive seventeen unbeaten run came to an end against the side that will be challenging us for promotion. Quite how we lost the game, I will never know. Paul Benson gave Swindon the lead with a fine header from a cross shortly after the game started, but after the goal, we dominated the rest of the half, but couldn't find a break through. In the second half we found ourselves two down, as Aden Flint headed home from a corner. And like before we continued to dominate, and eventually Brian Saah pulled a goal back heading home at the back post. We kept pressing for the equaliser and in the last minute had two efforts cleared of the line, as Swindon held on.

In the lead up to our next game and the return to full fitness of Olejnik and Ellis, I was hoping it was time the injury **** was coming to an end, but I was sorely wrong as I lost left back Kevin Nicholson to a back strain picked up in training, which ruled him out for a month. So I had decision to make who would fill in for Kevin for our next game, and decided to work on a couple of new ideas in training for the rest of the week.

images

Gillingham 3 - 1 Torquay
Priestfield. Att: 3,386

We faced our second loss in succession as we were well beaten by an inform Gillingham side. Matt Lawrence and Chris Whelpdale put the home side in front with two well taken goals. But we soon hit back thanks to an excellent finish by Gavin Massey. As we looked like getting the leveller, Gillingham were awarded a penalty against the run of play and Danny Kedwell secured the win, finishing well from the spot.

Having suffered back to back losses I felt I needed to get the team together for a chat, so I organised a team meeting with the first team squad on our return to training after the two day Christmas break. "Keep your heads up lads, we've been excellent so far. Yes we've had a little blip, but during these times we need to come together as a squad, as I firmly believe promotion is a real possibility" I passionately addressed the group. To help me through the talk, Captain Lee Mansell spoke. "The boss is right, let's keep believing and get back to playing with confidence and we'll reap the rewards at the end of the season." Following Lee's words, I felt there was nothing more to say, so I ended the brief chat and we got down to preparing for the festive fixtures.

images

Torquay 0 - 0 Rotherham
Plainmoor. Att: 3,685

We stopped the run of losses, but produced a dire performance in this dull draw. Neither side managed to muster a shot on goal, as the game ended scoreless.

The January window opened the day after our latest game and I was straight on the phone to our chairman to ask him to sort another loan deal for Akwasi Asante, this time bringing him in for the remainder of the season. Also, on my radar was a young Algerian centre back from Doncaster, Rachid Bouhenna. Although I hadn't personally been to see him play, I received numerous rave reviews from Alan McLeary, so felt it was worth a risk bringing him in, especially with the recent problems I had faced in the centre back positions. I also made a cheeky loan for Nick Powell, who was listed for loan from Blackpool. Although he had just signed for the Tangerines from Crewe, Blackpool boss Ian Holloway was keen for him to get some regular playing time and I felt he could achieve that with us and increase my midfield options.
So with the Asante and Bouhenna deals completed, I now had the waiting game to see if Nick Powell would join. Even if it was two new additions it would definately make my squad look a lot healthier and allow me to freshen up the squad more on matchdays.

how good is O'Kane because i know he can be an absolute beast. Like in my save he was performing so well in League 1 (something like 9 goals and 17 assists) that he got snapped up for 5.5M by swansea or Norwich cant quite remember

images

Torquay 5 - 2 Cheltenham
Plainmoor. Att: 3,078

Superb victory, as we halted a run of four games without a win. Darryl Duffy put the visitors in the lead with a fine goal. Ian Morris and Mark Ellis turned the game round and we led at half time. Five minutes into the second half and Duffy levelled the scores, but three goals in a crazy ten minute spell ended any hope of another comeback, as first a Scott Brown own goal put us infront followed by a Taiwo Atieno goal, then a well placed effort by Chris McPhee helped us on our way to a much needed three points.

images

3rd Round
Sunderland 4 - 0 Torquay
Stadium of Light. Att: 30,832

After our hard fought one nil victory against Hinckley in the second round, we were rewarded with a trip to Premiership side Sunderland and it was a very tough day out up North. Lee Cattermole scored in the opening minutes, which was quickly followed by a Seb Larsson strike. Larsson soon was on the scoresheet again as he scored from close range. Johan Fano sealed the win and the fourth goal with ten minutes left.

I was very disappointed we didn't put up more of a fight against Sunderland, but I was forced into numerous changes due to many of the players feeling fatigued. And we were dealt anoth blow as I received news from our Chairman that Blackpool's Nick Powell turned down a move to us at the last minute due to personal reasons. On the back of Nick Powell's reluctance to join, I was approached by the agent of promising Watford midfielder Sean Murray and within five minutes of talks, a season long loan was completed.
Once Akwasi Asante recovers from his short term injury, I now feel I have a better group of players to choose from to continue a promotion push, although with Gavin Massey having returned to his parent club and Rene Howe a week away from full fitness, I still had to rely on my back up strike force of Chris McPhee and Taiwo Atieno.

images

Crewe 3 - 2 Torquay
The Alexandra Stadium. Att: 3,627

A devastating set back in our push for promotion as we threw away a lead against a side also in the hunt. Ashley Westwood scored a screamer as he put the hosts ahead. But we hit back with two Taiwo Atieno goals as we came from behind to lead. With five minutes left we gifted Jake Jervis two simple tap ins as the home support celebrated with wild scenes at the final whistle.

images

Burton 1 - 2 Torquay
Pirelli Stadium. Att: 3,179

A fine response to our dismal result last time out and we did it the hard way. It was also nice to have a near fully fit squad to select from. The returning Rene Howe got the opener with a first time effort. Two minutes after taking the lead, Eunan O'kane received two yellow cards in a minute as we were reduced to ten men. Calvin Zola, early in the second half, equalised with a solo effort. But we received a stroke of luck, as the unfortunate Adam Bolder slid the ball past his own keeper, to help us claim the points.

images

Torquay 2 - 0 Crawley
Plainmoor. Att: 3,219

A great win and performance on a rainy night. Rene Howe put us ahead just before the break and Damon Lathrope grabbed a second with ten minutes left.

images

Torquay 0 - 0 Plymouth
Plainmoor. Att: 4,432

With all the hype surrounding our local derby, near full house were left very disappointed as both sides played out a bore draw.

The Plymouth game didn't live up to expectations and I'm concerned that after a fantastic first part of the season our performances are not meeting my high expectations, so it was something I wanted to address during the week at training. I was also informed by the clubs' physio that Mark Ellis and Danny Stevens picked up neck and groin injuries respectively, during the game at the weekend, and will both be out for upto four weeks.

how good is O'Kane because i know he can be an absolute beast. Like in my save he was performing so well in League 1 (something like 9 goals and 17 assists) that he got snapped up for 5.5M by swansea or Norwich cant quite remember

Yeah he's doing ok, though does have a very poor discipline record. Has scored a couple of screamers though. I'd be delighted with 5.5mill for him at some point!!

images

Bristol Rovers 1 - 3 Torquay
The Memorial Stadium. Att: 4,961

A great result against another one of our fierce rivals. Rene Howe put us in front at the break with a well taken goal. Howe then doubled our lead, as he grabbed his second with a close range finish. Eunan O'Kane claimed our third as he bundled over following a goalmouth scramble. Scott McGleish scored a consolation goal with minutes remaining.

images

Torquay 1 - 0 Hereford
Plainmoor. Att: 3,787

We were made to work for our narrow victory. Kevin Nicholson had a great chance to score from the spot, but saw his penalty well saved, as neither side could break the deadlock in the first half. Rene Howe scored what turned out to be the winner two minutes into the second period.

images

Oxford 0 - 1 Torquay
The Kassam Stadium. Att: 5,908

Yet another hard fought win against a well organised Oxford side. It was Oxford who had the majority of possession throughtout the game, but couldn't find the break through. With one of our rare attacks, Rene Howe picked the ball up on the edge of the box and rifled in the winner.

images

Torquay 1 - 2 Aldershot
Plainmoor. Att: 3,892

Shocking and embarassing is the only way I can describe today's game. We went into the lead after five minutes thanks to a Kevin Nicholson penalty. But after that our performance level dropped as Alex Rodman bagged a brace to seal an away win.

images

Port Vale 0 - 2 Torquay
Vale Park. Att: 3,456

Very pleasing reaction to our last game, as we totally dominated from start to finish. Eunan O'Kane opened the scoring with a rasping long range effort and Rene Howe sealed the win with a tidy right footed finish.

images

Torquay 5 - 3 Macclesfield
Plainmoor. Att: 3,566

We survived a first half scare, as we bounced back to claim victory in this topsy turvy game. Danny Stevens got the opener as he fired in from wide on the right, but Arnaud Mendy and George Donnelly goals soon turned the game in favour of the away side. Eunan O'Kane equalised with a trademark finish and deep into injury time Sean Murray put us back in the lead. Stevens grabbed his second and gave us a two goal cushion shortly after the interval, but Elliott Hewitt reduced the deficit to one as he slid in at the far post to score three minutes later. We had to wait until the second minute of injury time to secure the win, when Danny Stevens completed his hat-trick from inside the area.

images

Accrington 0 - 0 Torquay
The Crown Ground. Att: 2,011

Very disappointing draw against a poor Accrington side. Similar to previous goalless draws, neither side managed an attack of note.

images

Torquay 1 - 3 Bradford
Plainmoor. Att: 4,295

An entertaining game for the neutral, but I was less than impressed with our defensive display or our attacking exploits. Will Atkinson slid in to open the scoring and he doubled the lead just after the hour mark. Rene Howe pulled a goal back, as I then hoped we would push on and look for the equaliser. But Febian Brandy soon put paid to any come back, as he scored the visitors thrid and secured the win.

images

Shrewsbury 1 - 2 Torquay
Greenhous Meadow. Att: 7,855

Following our heavy home defeat, we faced a tough away challenge against a side sitting in third. And we bounced back superbly. Kevin Nicholson scored a own goal, when he misadvertantly sliced the ball into our net. We were trailing for sixty minutes until Akwasi Asante, who had gone six games without scoring, popped up with an equaliser, when his right foot shot trickled over the line after hitting the post. Asante was then the match winner when his long range effort hit the underside of the bar and crossed the line to seal what could be a massive three points.

images

Torquay 1 - 1 Barnet
Plainmoor. Att: 3,051

It was a case of one point gained rather than two dropped, as we came from behind with ten men. Mark Marshall netted a second half penalty to give the bottom club the lead. Seven minutes later substitute Rachid Bouhenna picked up his second yellow and was sent off. Despite being a man down we pushed forward looking for the leveller and Eunan O'Kane got the vital goal with a crashing long range effort.

images

Southend 4 - 2 Torquay
Roots Hall. Att: 4,716

This game on the other hand was a case of three points thrown away! Asante grabbed a brace after thirty minutes to put us in control heading into the break. But Michael Timlin pulled one back on the stroke of half time. I tried to encourage the lads and get back to how we were playing for the first part of the half, but that was soon thrown out as Neil Harris wqualised three minutes after the restart. Harris then put the hosts in front after breaking free from the last defender and David Martin sealed the win when he tapped home from close range with five left to play.

images

Torquay 1 - 1 Dag & Red
Plainmoor. 4,158

Our poor run continued as we scraped a draw. After an even first half, Jordan Obita put the Daggers ahead, when he managed to squeeze home a left foot shot, which beat Olejnik at his near post. Akwasi Asante got the equaliser from twenty yards, as both sides had to settle for a point each.

After a hectic couple of months with nearly two games a week, it was starting to take it's toll on the squad. It wasn't so much the fatigue, but the pressure of going into each game knowing that each victory would bring us closer to the league title. With six games remaining we held a three point lead over second placed swindon and we had them to play in a couple of weeks.
To try and ease the expectation of promotion I took the boys away on a short break to Spain, where we would be able to get away from the local media and train and prepare in a different environment before coming back to face the biggest month of my short managerial career to date.

Back