From Grassroots(Vol.2)...

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 6K
We returned from our four day break in La Manga full of optimism and focus ahead of our vital end of season run in. It was late Thursday evening as we made our way back from the airport and I received a phone call from Chairman Simon Baker. "Evening Andy, hope the break went well. I just want to say that myself and the board are delighted with what you have achieved so far. With six games left we're expecting to be playing in League One next season. So good luck and don't let us down." A complimentary, but demanding voice said down the phone. "The break was very useful Mr Baker, again thank you for funding the trip. I hope we won't let you down over the next month." I replied cautiously.

The next day and as I was leaving home, I was approached by a reporter from BBC Radio Devon, who was keen on running an interview with me. With being put on the spot on my own driveway, I felt I couldn't say no, but stressed to Ross Ellis, that he could have ten minutes before I had to leave to join up with the squad, to make our way towards London for our next game.

Ross Ellis: "Thank you for your time Andy. Do you think it wise taking the players away with such an important run of games coming up?"

Me: "Yes I do, sometimes it's good to go away and get away from the media spotlight and it gave us the chance to do just that. The lads are refreshed and knoe exactly what's expected of them over the coming weeks."

Ross Ellis: "There has been some rumours that you and Chairman Simon Baker don't see eye to eye. What are your views on this?"

Me: Well, Mr Baker was the one who santioned our trip. Do you think if we didn't get on he would of allowed us to go!! Our relationship is very good, not that it's any of your buisness."

Ross Ellis: "Hmm seems like the pressure is getting to you. Is that a fair comment?"

Me: "You are getting to me, and I think your ten minutes are up. Now if you would kindly leave my property I would be most grateful. I've got more important things to focus on."

Ross Ellis: " You better hope you don't fail to get promoted, because when you do you'll be hearing from me again!"

I couldn't believe the cheek of the reporter, but I felt I kept my cool, though I was close to hitting him at one point. With Mr Ellis sat in his car writing up his notes, I waited patiently until he finally left, before I pulled out the drive and headed off towards the waiting coach at our ground.
Before getting on the coach, I called Simon Baker and informed him of the impromptu interview thrust on me at my home earlier, as I didn't want anything being taken out of context when the interview was written up and reported. With the call out the way I could now finally focus on the job in hand and that was to seal promotion.....

images

Afc Wimbledon 2 - 2 Torquay
The Fans' Stadium. Att: 2,811

A good draw as we had to come from behind. Brian Saah continued his good form in front of goal, when he headed us in front. Sam Williams wasted no time in pulled the hosts level when he calmly lobbed Olejnik. Mike Edwards then put Afc Wimbledon ahead when he volleyed home from inside the six yard box. With defeat staring us in the face, Eunan O'Kane stepped up to typically draw us level with a long range effort.

images

Northampton 1 - 3 Torquay
Sixfields Stadium. Att: 2,623

Another comeback, but this time we secured a big win. Arron Davies sent the home crowd wild as he scored from just outside the area after only ten minutes. But goals by Rene Howe, who levelled the scores at half time, and then Danny Stevens and Brian Saah late in the second half, ensured the win was complete.

images

Torquay 1 - 1 Morecambe
Plainmoor. Att: 4,879

We were left to rue missed chances today against the bottom club. Akwasi Asante put us one up just before the interval, with a well taken goal after good work by Sean Murray. With time running out, Danny Carlton dived in at the far post to ****** victory from our grasp, as we had to settle for a point.

images

Swindon 2 - 3 Torquay
The County Ground. Att; 9,888

This is the biggest game of the season and with only two games left after this one, a win today would secure promotion for us, but a loss and Swindon would go two points clear.
Taiwo Atieno, in for the injured Rene Howe, stabbed the ball into the corner of the net to send our fans wild, but the joy only lasted two minutes as Lander Gabilondo equalised after a good counter attack. Lee *** put Swindon ahead after fifty one minutes with a well placed header from a free kick. This time we responded quickly and drew level thanks to leading scorer Akwasi Asante. Both sides then continued to press for the winner and with five minutes remaining Lee Mansell hit a shot from the edge of the box, and with the keeper seemingly having it covered, the ball struck Eunan O'Kane on the back and diverted the ball over the line to put us three two ahead. The final whistle went and we had done it, we were promoted!

images

Torquay 1 - 0 Gillingham
Plainmoor. Att: 4,775

With a full house, we knew with victory today, we would be crowned champions. The lads we up for this game right from the off and the score should've been alot more. It was the returning Rene Howe who scored the winner, volleying home a sweet left footed effort to send the crowd crazy.
To the sound of the final whistle and a huge pitch invasion as we had just become League Two CHAMPIONS!!!

images

Rotherham 1 - 0 Torquay
Don Valley Stadium. Att: 4,851

With promotion secured and the league title, I felt this was a good opportunity to give my fringe players the chance to stake a claim to be part of the squad for next season. Even though a Lewis Grabban goal spoilt the party, I saw enough from a couple of the stand in players to know they would be useful to have around the squad.

images

We made our way through the crowds of estatic fans who lined the streets of the English Riviera, on our open top bus parade to show off the League Two champions trophy. I was overwhelmed with the vast amount of supporters that came out to celebrate, dressed in yellow and blue with balloons and flags blowing around in the slight breeze that was coming off the nearby sea. The last couple of season, before I took charge, Torquay had narrowly missed out on promotion, but now we had done it and to see how much it mean't to this seaside resort and it's residants was a fantastic experience. Being the person to lead the triumph made it even more enjoyable, especially with such a small squad and as we approached the promenade where the majority of fans had congregated I prepared myself to address the awaiting audience. "We are going up, say we are going up!!" I sung over the microphone to the cheers of crowd. As the noise settled I continued. "Thank you for supporting not only myself, but getting behind the lads over the season both home and away. Your loyal support, has been the catalyst to achieving what we set out to do. I'm sure you will be there next season to enjoy the chapter of our adventure together. Thank you."

With the celebrations over it was now time to start focusing on my preparations for the upcoming season. With Goalkeeping coach Kenny Veysey's reluctance to sign a new contract, I took the tough decision to release him from his contract. That hard task was soon softened when I received a call from ex-England goalkeeper Nigel Martyn's agent, who told me Nigel, who is from Cornwall, was keen on joining the coaching staff. And felt if we could do a deal, Nigel would be very keen on continuing his coaching with us, and allow him to move back down South and be closer to his family.
So with Nigel Martyn on board, the other area on the non-playing staff I wanted to address was to bring in another fitness coach to work alongside Duncan Russell and the target I wanted was Havant and Waterlooville's fitness expert Adi Aymes, who was out of contract, meant that he could join without demanding a transfer fee.

There was a month to go before our pre-season friendlies started and although the transfer window was open for another few more weeks, I wanted to act quickly in the transfer market and make a statement to our other rivals that we mean buisness and aren't just coming into League One to make up the numbers. By moving fast it meant I could secure my targets and get them involved with the squad straight away on their return from holiday, allowing me maximum time to prepare them for a tough, long season ahead.

Transfers 2012

images

Name: Dean Leacock
Position: Centre Back
Fee: Free Transfer

Dean joined after rejecting a new contract at previous club Leyton Orient. He will bring good experience to my young team, having played at Championship level with Derby and was one of the best performing players in League One last season. I'm extremely confident he will play a major part in the heart of our defence.

images

Name: Craig Forsyth
Position: Left Midfield/Winger
Fee: Season Loan

The signing of Craig is sure to get the fans very excited. I felt we lacked some creativity out wide last season and Craig will definately add to that. A season long loan will give me a great idea of whether to make the deal permanent at the end of the season, as current club watford are seemingly keen to sell.

images

Name: Jack Bonham
Position: Goalkeeper

A quality back up to Robert Olejnik was high on my list, and with Martin rice leaving the us during the summer, I needed a replacement. Having had Jack at the club last season, I know what he is capable of and will provide healthy competition for the number one shirt.

images

Name: Jordan Copp
Position: Centre Midfield

I was delighted that the opportunity to sign Jordan was presented to us and equally surprised that rivals Plymouth Argyle allowed this highly rated Welsh youngster to leave. Jordan will provide good back up for midfielders Eunan O'Kane, Lee Mansell and Damon Lathrope. I'm sure with working hard in training, he will become a valuable player in seasons to come.

images

Name: John Marquis
Position: Striker

It was crucial we brought in a striker capable of scoring goals on a regular basis at this level, and although unproven with Millwall in the Championship, John received rave reviews from my scout and with a regular run of games I feel John can be very important to any success we achieve this season.

images

Name: Jamaal Lascelles
Position: Centre Back

Another signing that will cause excitement amongst our fans. Jamaal was released from Nottingham Forest, despite being tipped to make a big impact in the future. Despite his young age I predict big things for Jamaal and was delighted he choose to join us and reject the offers from Sheffield United and Portsmouth.

After my transfer dealings were completed and with pre-season training underway, I was requested to meet up with our Chairman in his office at the end of the current training session.

Simon Baker(Chairman): "Andy, thank you for coming straight after training. Please sit down."

Me: "That's ok, can I get a glass of water please."

Simon Baker: "Yes sure. Right, down to buisness. I've been in lengthy talks with the other board members and we feel after the great job you did last season, it would be wise to extend your contract which will include a hefty pay rise. The deal we are looking at offering is £1,600 p/w on a two year deal?"

Me: "Thank you, I'm very please I could deliver what you have been wanting the last couple of years. And I'm very keen on continuing as manager of this football club. But i did have a figure in mind if or when these talks were going to happen and that was £1,800 p/w. If those numbers can be agreed, then I'd be delighted to commit."

Simon Baker: "Hmm yes we can stretch to that figure. I'll get the paperwork sorted and sent over to you to finalise."

Me: "Fantastic. I look forward to signing and hope I can bring you more success."

Simon Baker: "Before you go Andy, there is one last thing. I received a call this morning informing me that the stadium expansion work has been completed and ready for the start of the new season increasing our capacity to 6,196."

Me: "Wow, that's great news. I'll make sure I get the lads playing the type of football, that will attract bigger crowds which will increase gate receipts."

Simon Baker: "Sounds good to me Andy. Have a good week and good luck for the new campaign."

I left the Chairman's office safe in the knowledge that I've committed my future to another two more years and with the increase in the stadium capacity it looked like I was at a club keen on progressing each year and now it was down to me to see what I could achieve this season on the pitch and ensure I started to fill those extra seats.

sky-bet-205pxx92px.png

League One Odds:

Sheff Utd - 5/1
Portsmouth - 6/1
Swindon - 6/1
Crystal Palace - 6/1
Doncaster - 10/1
Torquay - 16/1

The bookies and pundits were predicting that if we got results against the better teams in the league, we could potentially be in for a good season and surprise a few people, but realistically we would probably end up around mid table.
After hearing what the experts had been saying and the challenge that lay ahead, it made me even more eager and excited to get the new season underway.

FRIENDLY
Torquay 2 - 2 Blackpool
Plainmoor. Att: 1,900

An entertaining game against a side in the division above. Matt Phillips was in the right place, at the right time to head home the opener. We then drew level as Craig Cathcart diverted the ball into his own net. We then found ourselves infront as John Marquis scored from an acute angle. A great win was snatched from us in injury time, as Thomas Ince was left unmarked inside the area to volley past Olejnik.

FRIENDLY
Torquay 0 -3 Millwall
Plainmoor. Att: 2,181

We lost our second game of pre-season and despite the score the game was much closer than it reads. Millwall had much more firepower than us and took their chances. Goals by Josh McQuoid(2) and a Jack Smith penalty ensured the away side left very happy.

FRIENDLY
Tiverton 0 - 4 Torquay
Ladysmead. Att: 731

A better performance even though it was against weaker oppostion. John Marquis grabbed a brace, with his goals coming either side of a Stephen McCall own goal. Jordan Copp sealed the convincing win with a penalty on the stroke of full time.

Friendly
Torquay 3 - 1 St. Johnstone
Plainmoor. Att:1,477

We saved our best performance for our last game. Brian Saah opened the scoring with a fine header. Then Rene Howe got on the scoresheet with a well placed effort. Jim Russell scored a consolation before John Marquis scored in the closing stages to double our lead.

Although we had a blip against Millwall, I was fairly confident we were ready for the season opener at the weekend. And with John Marquis scoring four in four games, coupled with good performances from Dean Leacock and Craig Forsyth, the new lads seem to be settling in very nicely.
Before we left to travel to Nottingham to face Notts County, I asked the lads to meet a little earlier so I could have a short chat with them and just remind them of what was expected throughout the season and re-iterate the belief and confidence I have in them.

images

Notts County 2 - 3 Torquay
Meadow Lane. Att: 9,128

The perfect start to the season with a well earned victory. Brian Saah got us off to a flyer with a nice header. Kevin Nicholson doubled our lead shortly after converting a penalty. Neal Bishop immediately pulled a goal back from the re-start when he fired in from long range. Deep into stoppage time in the first half, Dean Leacock got his head to a corner and diverted the ball into the net to extend our advantage. early into the next period and Gavin Mahon reduced the deficit again when he scored from inside the area. The win was marred when Joe Oastler was sent off for two bookable offences a minute into added time.

images

1st Round
Torquay 3 - 2 Crystal Palace

(after extra time)
Plainmoor. Att: 3,502

A highly entertaining game this evening under the bright sunshine. John Marquis got an early opener as he raced clear and slotted past the oncoming keeper. Kieron Cadogan then levelled a minute into the second half, tapping into an empty net. Danny Stevens then got on the end of a cross to slide home our second. With time running out, Sean Scannell created himself some space inside the box and fired in a dramatic equaliser. Into extra time the game went and it was Marquis who grabbed the winner to send us through to the second round.

images

Torquay 1 - 1 Portsmouth
Plainmoor. Att: 6,196

All square in a very even match. Pompey took the lead when David Norris slide in at the far post, after a delightful cross from the right evaded the outstretched arm of Olejnik. We had to wait until twenty minutes from the end of the game for the equaliser, when Eunan O'kane burst into the box, before rifling a left footed shot into the top corner.

images

MK Dons 0 - 3 Torquay
stadium:mk. Att: 8,018

A fine away win and all the more better when you score with each attempt on goal. Craig Forsyth scored two in a ten minute spell either side of the break. John Marquis then sealed the win seven minutes from time, with a neat header.

images

Torquay 2 - 2 Carlisle
Plainmoor. Att: 5,886

This game was very entertaining for the fans, but not for our keeper Robert Olejnik, who was at fault for both goals. Rene Howe got us off to the best start when he curled in from the edge of the box. Olejnik then brought down Carlisle forward Lee Miller, who then got up and scored from the resulting penalty. It got even worse for Olejnik when he fumbled a weak shot and the ball rolled over the line to put the visitors ahead. John Marquis continued his scoring form when he slotted home from a Lee Mansell cross.

images

2nd Round
Torquay 1 - 6 Newcastle
Plainmoor. Att: 4,671

What a disappointment in front of the TV cameras. We were dominated from start to finish and that was despite us taking the lead inside ten minutes when Rene Howe scored with a well placed shot. A hat-trick from Marco Ruben accompanied with a brace from Daniel Sturridge and a Papiss Cisse goal sealed our humiliating loss.

"That boy's is unacceptable" I bellowed across the dressing room, at the shell shocked looks on my players faces. "I'm not too fussed by the scoreline, but what I'm most bothered about is the performance. Yes, Newcastle are a team full of internationals, but to roll over like we did I will not except, especially as we took the lead. In future I demand a more professional approach unlike what myself and the fans have witnessed tonight. Now....training tomorrow 9am on the seafront."

The following day as I made the short walk from my house to the beach, it gave me the ideal chance to reflect on last night's heated talk after the heaviest defeat of my short career. Maybe I was abit harsh I thought, but hopefully they will learn from it and not experience that side of me too often. And to be fair, I very rarely loss my temper, but in this instance I needed to vent my feelings, as like the board of directors, the fans, the players and myself all I want is success, failure never enters my head!
What followed was the response I was looking for from my players, they all arrived fifteen minutes early and gave me and my coaches a quality training session in preparation for the upcoming fixtures.

images

Huddersfield Town 2 - 1 Torquay
The Galpharm Stadium. Att: 14,822

This was a top of the table clash, so early into the campaign. Despite losing the game I was very proud of the lads, as we put up a great performance. Scott Arfield gave the hosts the lead, when he muscled his way through our defence and slotted home. The 'Terriers' doubled their advantage just after the interval, when Peter Clarke rose highest to head past Olejnik. Rene Howe pulled a goal back for us, as we went in search of a draw, but Huddersfield held on, to consign us to our first defeat in the league.

images

1st Round
Torquay 1 - 0 MK Dons
Plainmoor. Att: 1,767

A tricky opening tie against a side in the same division. We got the result we wanted thanks to another John Marquis goal.

images

Torquay 2 - 1 Walsall
Plainmoor. Att: 5,862

A fine comeback win today, as we got back to winning ways. Graham Burke gave Walsall the lead when he scored towards the end of the first half. Three minutes after the restart and Brian Saah headed home our equaliser. The winning was scored by Craig Forsyth, who twisted and turned on the edge of the box and bent a right footed effort into the net.

images

Brentford 1 - 2 Torquay
Griffin Park. Att: 5,074

Yet another win, but done the hard way coming from a goal down. Mamadou Bakayoko opened the scoring with a well taken goal. We responded well and got a deserved equaliser through John Marquis. Just before half time, Brentford's Tyler Blackett was shown a straight red card for a nasty tackle. With our numerical advantage, we started to dominate and had to wait until the last ten minutes before we grabbed the winner. Substitute Akwasi Asante was the match winner as he slid home a Danny Stevens cross.

images

Torquay 3 - 2 Doncaster
Plainmoor. Att: 5,001

We stretched our unbeaten league run to three games, as we grabbed a victory against a side relegated the season before. Craig Forsyth scored with our first attack inside the opening five minutes, and our lead was doubled moments later with a fine Rene Howe finish after good work out wide by Danny Stevens. James Hayter pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time, as we took a slim lead into the break. Benik Afobe pulled Doncaster level on the hour mark, as we looked to have thrown away a two goal lead. But inside the final quarter of an hour, Dean Leacock got infront of his marker to head home the winner.

images

Colchester 1 - 0 Torquay
The Western Homes Community Stadium. Att: 3,410

A very close encounter as neither side provided any real chances on goal. So it was no surprise that the winning goal would either come from a mistake or be a special goal. And it was the latter, as Sam Togwell took took aim from thirty yards and blasted the ball into the back of the net.

images

Torquay 1 - 0 Yeovil
Plainmoor. Att: 6,196

A repeat showing of our previous game, but this time we were victorious. Lee Mansell it was with a screamer two minutes into added on time in the first half, which turned out to be the match winner. We finished the game with ten men, as Jamaal Lascelles was harshly shown red on the full time whistlke, for looked like a fair challenge.

Back