Sorry for the lack of updates in the last week or two, but I've not had much time to progress the stoy. But I've got a wee update with a new layout that I hope you like. :)

Lyon-5.png
- VI -
Lyon-5.png

Pre-Season - II - SC Bastia, Part I

Claude Puel welcomed his troops back to the Centre Tola Volage after their embarrassing loss at the hands of lowly Evian, whose name as a football team was less than that of a bottled water. The players looked weary eyed as they plodded inside, out of the early morning drizzle. The players got kitted up and Puel instructed his players to take out the cones and ladders, but to leave the balls indoors. Puel saw the players grimace and cringe, to his pleasure.

Ten minutes later, the players were on their seventh lap of the pitch, and Bruno Genesio arrived, held up by the traffic near the complex.

“Sorry I'm late boss, the traffic-”

“I know.” Puel assured him. “Do me a favour, will you? Walk around the pitch and bark orders at them. Wild as you like.”

They chuckled and Genesio went off, and proceeded to command Maxime Gonalons to do the Macarena while he was running.

Puel shook hands with Alexandre Dellal, his chief fitness coach. Dellal has a PhD in Sports Science and has coached the Ivory Coast national team's fitness sessions in 2004 and 2010. Today, he would be taking this young sides' training session.

Dellal was sent over to the players and set up a number of drills. Bruno Genesio, since stood down from the player-ego-defamation role, watched on as Dellal continued to put the players through their paces.

*******​

Three hours later, the players were exhausted. Puel sent them on their way and ordered them to be at the Stade Gerland at 12pm for the game against Bastia the next day.

Meanwhile, Puel had finally lost patience with Koln's negotiator's and said he was no longer interested in Podolski. Instead, he contacted Bordeaux over the availability of Yoann Gourcuff.

They said they wanted €22,000,000 for him, but Puel was sceptical.

He didn't want to pay such a large amount upfront, so he proposed a three-part payment to be paid by December 31st 2012.

So, Puel decided to hand it over to the negotiators and concentrate on the Bastia game.

*******​

The following day, the cloud had cleared to expose the city of Lyon to red-hot rays of sunshine, as SC Bastia rolled into town for a friendly with Claude Puel's young side, who desperately wanted to bounce back from the shock loss to Evian earlier in the week.

The visitors, recently relegated from Ligue 2, arrived at the Centre Tola Volage, seemingly looking forward to playing arguably the biggest club in the country.

The home side turned up ten minutes later, some still looking shattered from the excruciating fitness session from the day before.

Claude Puel lined up his team in a new, experimental formation.

He played a 3-5-2, with a back-line of Dejan Lovren, Papa Diakhate and Nicolas Seguin. Just in front of them, Maxime Gonalons was deployed in a deep playmaking role, with Miralem Pjanic and Clement Grenier in front of him. Out wide, Kim Kallstrom and Alexandre Lacazette were to supply strikers Yannis Tafer and Bafetimbi Gomis, who had returned back from an injury which ruled him out of France's World Cup squad, not that he had much of a chance anyway.

Bastia strolled out onto the pitch and waited for their hosts to join them.

Soon after, they did.

Lyon kicked off and immediately went on the attack. Maxime Gonalons' high through ball put Kim Kallstrom through on the left side and he struck te ball with force towards the goal.

A stunning save kept the ball out.

Bastia went on the counter. Darko Dunjic sent a long ball forward which caught Papa Diakhate out and let Bastia striker David Suarez through on goal. He rounded Remy Vercoutre and blasted the ball into the net.

Three minutes in, 1-0 to Bastia. Claude Puel held his head in his hands and sighed.

Lyon-4.png
Lyon-3.png
Lyon.png
Lyon-2.png
Lyon-1-1.png

Great to see this back again mate. I really like how you ended that chapter, and I'm looking forward to the next. It really makes me want to start writing again but I just haven't got the time at the minute. Keep this up, and I'll subscribe so you won't have to pm me :D

Great to see this back again mate. I really like how you ended that chapter, and I'm looking forward to the next. It really makes me want to start writing again but I just haven't got the time at the minute. Keep this up, and I'll subscribe so you won't have to pm me :D

Yeah, I've got two more games left before the proper pre-season starts. I know, I've been enjoying your story, can't wait for it to come back. Love it! Kay, thanks mate! :D

Love it, can you check out my Crawley story please ?

Lyon-5.png
Part III – Amiens SC
Lyon-5.png

Claude Puel watched on as his young side lost yet another game to lower league opposition, this time in SC Bastia. His 3-5-2 experiment had created a lot of chances, but had no end product. He looked at his assistant, Bruno Genesio, as his side trudged back towards the changing rooms after the final whistle. They both shrugged and followed the players inside.

As Puel left the Centre Tola Volage, he received a phone call from Remi Garde to say he was picking up Anthony Revelliere, Jeremy Toulalan and Hugo Lloris from the Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. They had returned as villains, along with the other 21 members of the French squad, after being eliminated from the World Cup in the group stages.

As everyone knows by now, Raymond Domenech expelled Nicolas Anelka from the squad for a foul-mouthed tirade at half-time in the Mexico match, and the players refused to train because of this. The national team drew with Uruguay in the first match, then lost to Mexico and South Africa. Then, following Domenech's refusal to shake the hand of South African boss Perreira, the horror show was topped off by their return from Cape Town on an economy class flight.

The day after, three days from the next bounce game against Amiens, Garde returned with Toulalan, Lloris and Revelliere, who looked weary-eyed following their ordeal. Puel told them to rest up then return in two days to train with the team ahead of the Amiens match.

*******​

That they did, and on the day of their return, they were told they would be starting the next day. Puel smiled as he realised that his side was starting to look more like the one he would play when the season began. He would now have to wait for his other World Cup recruits to return. However, he was going to Japan to watch a young player he had seen who he thought could become a Ligue 1 legend. Or so Remi Garde told him. He and Puel would go to Osaka to watch Japan youngster Shinji Kagawa while Bruno Genesio would stay to lead the players through their game against Colmar.

The day of the Amiens game arrived, and Puel was at the Centre Tola Volage bright and early to prepare. The visitors arrived, some wearing smart suit with red and white striped ties, bearing the club logo on it, others wearing the club's Kappa-made tracksuits. The Amiens manager, Ludovic Batelli, shook hands with Puel and led his team into the away dressing room.

Puel was waiting for his players to show up. Once they did, he told the players how they would be lining up for the game.

He was returning to a 4-3-3 with wingers, after the disastrous display when playing 3-5-2. Lloris was in goal, with Aly Cissokho, Cris, Dejan Lovren and Anthony Revelliere in front of him. 'A full strength defence', Puel thought. Jeremy Toulalan was in front of them (he would try to create chances from deep as well as helping the defence deal with attacking threats. Miralem Pjanic and Clement Grenier were in front of him, with Kim Kallstrom and Alexandre Lacazette out wide. Bafetimbi Gomis was the lone striker.

Lyon walked out onto the pitch, parading their new blue third kit, and Amiens were showing off their white Kappa outfit.

*******​

Bafetimbi Gomis and Kim Kallstrom stood in the centre circle, about to kick-off. The referee blew the whistle and Gomis rolled the ball towards Kallstrom. Kallstrom played it back to Clement Grenier. Grenier looked up and saw Alexandre Lacazette making a darting run past the left-back. Grenier played it into his path. Lacazette cushioned the ball perfectly and flicked it past the centre back. He ran towards goal and saw Bafetimbi Gomis, unmarked and onside, to his left. He continued on regardless and struck the ball fiercely. The keeper blocked it with ease and it was cleared away. Gomis held his hands out as his side and looked towards Lacazette accusingly. Lacazette sighed and ran back out to the right wing.

Puel looked at his assistant, who was equally as flabbergasted as he was.

Lyon, twenty-five minutes in, were still level with Amiens, who were holding up against the Lyon attacks.

Then, when Jeremy Toulalan was brought down in the box, Lyon won a penalty. Manassé Enza-Yamissi was sent off for the infringement. Bafetimbi Gomis stepped up to take it. He placed the ball on the spot and took four steps back. He pointed at the keepers' left hand side. The keeper ignored him. Gomis ran forward and placed it into the corner he pointed at. The keeper dived to his right. He had no chance.

1-0, and Puel sighed with relief.

Five minutes later, as clouds started to gather above the Centre Tola Volage, Anthony Revelliere surged forward. He took the ball past the left-midfielder and put the ball through the legs of the left-back sliding in towards him.

He raced towards the touchline and swiped at the ball. It flew towards the head of Gomis. He smashed at the ball with force. It cannoned off the bar. It ricocheted off of a number of defenders and fell for Jeremy Toulalan. He hammered the ball into the back off the net.

The referee blew his whistle for half-time. Forty-five minutes, and zero goals later, it was over. Claude Puel and Remi Garde never had time to congratulate their side on the win, because they were off to Osaka to watch their Japanese prodigy. However, they had heard reports that other managers were heading over there. There was also reportedly heavy interest from Borussia Dortmund. Puel knew that this trip was make or break.

Lyon-4.png
Lyon-3.png
Lyon.png
Lyon-2.png
Lyon-1-1.png

VI -
Lyon-5.png

Pre-Season - II - SC Bastia, Part I
Claude Puel welcomed his troops back to the Centre Tola Volage after their embarrassing loss at the hands of lowly Evian, whose name as a football team was less than that of a bottled water. The players looked.....

Then:

Lyon-5.png
Part III – Amiens SC
Lyon-5.png

Claude Puel watched on as his young side lost yet another game to lower league opposition, this time......

Where was part II?

just caught up with it good update as usual liking the way you right it :)

Then:

Where was part II?

Ah, I'm saying that, if you look closely, the 'II' written before Bastia means part two of this chapter, and Amiens was part three. The part on bit at the end was meaning the Bastia game was going to be a two part thing :p

And cheers, Calum :)

Ah, I'm saying that, if you look closely, the 'II' written before Bastia means part two of this chapter, and Amiens was part three. The part on bit at the end was meaning the Bastia game was going to be a two part thing :p

And cheers, Calum :)

Oh right, I getcha ;), Keep it up mate, really enjoying it

For some reason have never looked at this story. Halfway through reading now though, very good mate. :)

Lyon-5.png
- VII -
Lyon-5.png

Une autre occasion manquée - I

Claude Puel waited in the Cerezo Osaka club lounge with his chief scout Remi Garde, waiting for the arrival of Cerezo youngster Shinji Kagawa. The Japanese prodigy had just played what would almost certainly be his final game for the J-League outfit, inspiring his team to a win, running the show and getting on the scoresheet himself.

Puel and Garde had travelled all the way to Osaka from Lyon to watch Kagawa, and were hoping to strike some sort of deal with his club to sign him. Puel knew, however, that time was most definitely of the essence. Kagawa had attracted the interest of numerous European clubs, as Cerezo's chairman Hiroyuki Idehara reiterated to them in the lounge.

Kagawa entered the lounge to rapturous applause. He grinned as he was patted on the back by those surrounding him, as Puel stood at the bar. He waved at Kagawa and he waved back. Puel turned to Idehara.

"How much would you be asking for?"

"Well, we would need to negotiate." Idehara grinned. Puel grinned back.
Puel looked around the room. As he looked towars a corner, he saw a face he rocognised. Puel's jaw dropped and he turned to Remi Garde, who was halfway through his lemonade.

"Who's that, over there?"

Garde's face dropped just as quickly as Puel's did.

"That's...erm...ahhh..."

Garde screwed up his face and waved his index finger in Puel's face as he tried to think of a name to match the face he rocognised.

"Errmmm...Klopp! Jugen Klopp, Dortmund!"

Puel groaned and rubbed his head.
Garde turned to him.

"Do you think he's..."

"Of course he is!" Puel snapped at him. "Why else would he be here?!"

Garde raised his eyebrows and resumed drinking his lemonade through a straw.

Puel watched on as Klopp walked up to Kagawa and shook his hand. Kagawa nodded, and accepted Klopp's offer of a drink. He sighed.

Klopp spotted Puel as he walked past him to the other side of the bar, and he grinned slightly.

Puel sighed again, and turned back to the bar. He watched intently, as Klopp talked to Kagawa, making signs with his hands and pointing to pieces of paper. Kagawa was nodding and grinning as Klopp spoke.

Klopp stood up and shook Kagawa's hand. The two shared a joke and Kagawa left the lounge. Klopp walked past Puel, seemingly taking no notice of him this time.

Puel glanced at Garde, who gave him a look which told him to accept defeat on this one.

Puel frowned, drank all his whisky in one gulp and slammed the glass down before walking out. Garde did the same with his lemonade, before storming out in an exaggerated fashion.

Puel and Garde sat in the departure lounge of the Kansai International Airport, Osaka's only international airport situated on an artificial island.
They heard the call over the tannoy for their flight back home. Puel stood up and pulled his trolley along behind him. Garde followed suit.

They boarded the plane soon after and took their seats. Garde sat at the window seat and looked out, mesmerised by the unique feature of Kansai
Airport: the artificial island.

Puel wasn't particularly interested in the man-made marvel. He was angry that he had missed out on signing a God-made marvel in Shinji Kagawa.

Thirty minutes into the flight, after experiencing early turbulence, Puel decided to get some sleep as his companion had done before the flight had even took off.

Puel asked the cabin crew for a coffee, then settled down for the night. And, as they glided through the air, the sun setting in the distance and its final rays disappearing beyond the horizon and glimmering against the pristine black waters below, he closed his eyes and drifted off.