Game suddenly running incredibly slowly

sonics097

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm in my 5th season with Middlesbrough and the game was running perfectly fine the entire way. Then one day when I loaded the game up, it suddenly started running veryyyyyy slowly... like it takes a few minutes to load from screen to screen (but matches still go regular speed). It also makes the rest of my computer run very slowly, I can't even load a page on Google Chrome. I was in October of 2015 when this started happening. Luckily I could restore the save file to a previous date (a few months back) so I started again from that save file, but once again I got to late September and the same issue happened. Any ideas? The save file is pretty much unplayable right now and I've gotten so far in, very frustrating.

Thanks

If you have a large/huge database, with players loaded from various countries/added leagues, then it will slow down due to number of regen players, new coaches, managers etc being generated. Larger the database etc, slower it will run in the future. If it gets really bad you may want to think about removing leagues depending on how many you have running

But it would just happen suddenly like that, randomly in the middle of Sept/Oct of a year? Don't regens get put into the game earlier in each season? Also for what it's worth, in FM 11 I took a game into 2017/18 on the same settings, database, etc. with no issues. I know its FM 11 and not 12 but can't be that much a change can it? It's just all weird to me because it ran perfectly fine and then one day was as if it hit a brick wall. Really liked my squad too :/

Also, my database is on small, my English leagues are Blue Square North/South and above (all playable), MLS (view only) and France National and above (view only).. so I don't that can be an issue, maybe my game file just gets corrupted for whatever reason once I reach Oct 2015

I have the same problem and google tells me that it's not uncommon. Sudden resource hogging at some point, and the resulting game speed varies from slow to unplayable. I checked the task manager when it got slow, and all of a sudden FM is hogging over 3GB of RAM!!! I closed it via task manager (since the game became unresponsive), and reloaded my save. The save started from about two weeks before the slowness occurred, yet now it's slow already from there on.

I read somewhere that clearing the app data might help, but I'll try it after I've tested my other saves. Very strange.

Ok, so I tested my other saved games and they're running at 900k to 1gb RAM, even the same save from a week back or so (autosave). It's amazing how the RAM usage just suddenly more than tripled with this one.

The longer you are into the game, the more memory it takes to run, because to run, the game needs the database loaded, and your save game to tell the computer what changes have taken place since the start of the game. The longer your save = more changes have been made = bigger file to load. Maybe after 5 seasons, your computer has just hit its limit of how much memory it can give to Fm without it compromising performance.

The longer you are into the game, the more memory it takes to run, because to run, the game needs the database loaded, and your save game to tell the computer what changes have taken place since the start of the game. The longer your save = more changes have been made = bigger file to load. Maybe after 5 seasons, your computer has just hit its limit of how much memory it can give to Fm without it compromising performance.

That'd make sense in case the game got slower gradually, but at least for me, it was like a brick wall.

That'd make sense in case the game got slower gradually, but at least for me, it was like a brick wall.

Yes, but imagine this. There is a certain amount of memory your computer needs just to run (for things like Windows and stuff), say for example 20%. The other 80% can be used for whatever you want. Over the years, as your save gets bigger, you'll have been using 50%, 65% all the way up to 80% no problem, as your computer can handle you using 80% of its memory, as long as it still has 20% spare to run . however, as soon as you hit 81%, you have a problem. Or, a brick wall.

^^

Yeah, there's obviously a point when it becomes unplayable, but it should get gradually slower nonetheless. Just like on an older PC you run, let's say, Firefox browser. The more tabs you use/open, the slower it gets. It's not as if it works like a dream up to 5 tabs, and come the 6th-> not at all. It seems unlikely that something normal happens in the game which generates so much more sudden RAM usage that one can't tell that it's getting slower before it breaks down. But I guess it's possible, perhaps the growing usage builds up so slowly that you don't notice it.

Konsta, have you found any solution to the problem? Or are you just playing using a different save file? I keep finding that once I reach a certain point in my game, the resource hogging happens and I have to do the same things as you (task manager to close it, absurd amount of RAM, etc). This is very weird because I use a small database, only a few leagues and I've never had this problem before in previous FM games where I go even deeper in, 2017, 18, etc. Very annoying. Don't really want to start a new game as I've only got about a month to keep playing until school begins, and then FM13 will come out in November or something anyways.

^^

Yeah, there's obviously a point when it becomes unplayable, but it should get gradually slower nonetheless. Just like on an older PC you run, let's say, Firefox browser. The more tabs you use/open, the slower it gets. It's not as if it works like a dream up to 5 tabs, and come the 6th-> not at all. It seems unlikely that something normal happens in the game which generates so much more sudden RAM usage that one can't tell that it's getting slower before it breaks down. But I guess it's possible, perhaps the growing usage builds up so slowly that you don't notice it.

I'm not sure if my last response went through since it's not showing up, so if this is a double you can disregard it. But Konsta, have you found a solution to this? I experience the exact same issues as you (dramatic usage of RAM, using task manager to close, etc). I just don't get why my game is doing this suddenly. In previous FMs I have gone far deeper in the game, 2017, 18, etc and have had no issues using the same few leagues and small database. I don't want to start a new game because I have only about a month to play it until school starts, and then FM13 will come out in November or something anyways.

^^

Unfortunately not. I deleted the app data, tried stripping down my subscriptions and shortlists etc., yet there's no change in the RAM usage. I'll ask around what kind of usage other people late in their save are experiencing, and whether that above 3GB is to be expected or is it abnormal. My gut tells me that it's the latter though. I use this laptop to record bands live and I made a stress test on my DAW for comparison. No matter how many plug-ins I use, the RAM reserve isn't getting even near to 3GB- and that's some heavy duty software right there. They primarily use the CPU to calculate the algorithms, but RAM usage is high as well.

I haven't experienced this before, and I've played FM games since it was Championship manager. However, if it's normal (I'll let you know after I've asked around :p), then there's not much you can do. Stripping down leagues seems like a possible solution, but you can't remove them at instant, you'll have to let the current season finish which is problematic due to the slowness.

Okay so I asked around about the RAM usage. The over 3GB is within normal limits if you're very late in your save, as in your 9th season or so, but people in and around their 3rd season (as I am) the usage varies from around 1,6GB to 1,8GB- mines about double that. I searched the internet and this kind of thing just happens sometimes, sudden resource hogging and there's not much you can do about it. If you have enough RAM to run the game despite the spike and yet it's running extremely slow (this happens as well :D), there's instruction how to increase the amount of RAM usage reserved for the FM.exe.

Would that help? I am currently testing something out, I'm going to load a save file from a few months prior to when this issue occurs for me in the game, go on holiday until a month or two after this issue hits me in the game, and see if it works or not. Basically I'm hoping that somehow I can jump over the wall on this one.

It worked!!! I don't really know why, or what the problem was, or if it might happen again, but I just loaded the save file and it's running fine and at proper CPU levels. Earlier I diagnosed that the problem occurred in late Sept/early October of my game, so I went on holiday until mid November just to be safe, and now it seems to be working okay.. fingers crossed.

^^

I can't say I'm too surprised. There's definitely something strange going on with the game regarding the sudden resource hogging, but SI aren't willing to admit it.

Im also having this problem although im currently into my 7th season. Can someone tell me how to clear the app data and allocate more ram to the game which someone mentioned in a previous post? Just to see if that makes a difference as i really dont want to be starting again!

^^

I can't say I'm too surprised. There's definitely something strange going on with the game regarding the sudden resource hogging, but SI aren't willing to admit it.

Well, sad to report this but it started happening again. After I loaded the save file everything was fine, but then I played a few games, saved my file, and quit for the night.. When I loaded it up again the next day, it was deja vu, the resource hogging and all. Disappointed, don't know what to do and I'm not starting a new game either. Also really don't feel like re-installing FM to see if that would work.. haven't got the time.