Gary Speed dies at the age of 42

There's only one Gary Speed. What a professional he was as a player, and had Wales goig the right way

RIP, my condolences to his family. What a loss to football

P.S leave out the speculation about the circumstances of his death. We dont know for sure and its highly disrepectful

I have no words to describe my feelings right now. I just can't. It's like I got run over by a bulldozer.

R.I.P Gary... What a player... What a manager :/

As a Welshman i was shocked when i saw this. Got our country playing well, Brilliant player to. Surprised Swansea game went ahead, Bellamy asking to be left out of a game against Man City shows just how much it has affected everyone invloved.
R.I.P, really thought Under him we could qualify for at least Euro 2016 :(

RIP, true legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was listening to the Villa match on Talksport and I have no idea how Bobby Gould kept going as he was a very good friend of Gary's. Before the match he was in absolute pieces and you could tell by just listening before kickoff he was on the verge of sobbing his heart out-felt genuinely sorry for Robbie Savage too after seeing the interview on the BBC. Also a lot of respect for the players who kept going during that match-must have been incredibly hard. And the fans too on both sides for giving a tremondous send off. I'm just not in the mood for football today at all.

Ajt, said it perfectly, just not in the mood for football. I was all excited about Liverpool - City but now I just feel sick. What a terrible tragedy. My condolences to his family. A real legend of the game, RIP.

Terrible news, sad day for football, I loved what he was doing with the Welsh national team.

It must of been especially sad for the several Welsh Players playing in the Swansea/Villa game, they must of still been in shock when they took to the field. Not just a great footballer, but a great man to.

RIP Gary Speed

Shocked and saddened, cant quite believe it. Was doing a great job with Wales. Just doesn't make any sense.

R.I.P Gary.

Was out for much of the day, and thus didn't know about the news. It was only when I got back to catch the start of the Swans-Villa game that I saw the minute's silence and heard about it. Absolutely shocked and devastated. Condolences and thoughts to his family and friends. Any pubs showing the football today are deathly quiet.

The minute's silence, that halfway through turned into spontaneous applause and Gary Speed chants, was really emotional stuff. Shay Given broke down completely, poor guy.

My post on the other thread (ignore the one reply bit):

Speed was doing brilliantly with Wales and even appeared on Football Focus yesterday! I do not see a reason why he would want to commit suicide, but of course I don't understand him. It's a tragedy, especially if he took his own life!

I cannot imagine how hard it must be for his family and friends; people who knew him. He was a good player, I distinctly remembering managing him on FM when he was at Sheffield and I can remember his stint at Bolton. Recently, he's taken Wales to new heights and looked a promising young manager.

I'm surprised there's only been one reply to this thread, he deserves a whole lot more. My thoughts go to his friends and family. R.I.P. Gary Speed!

Just to add, has anyone seen the jokes on Sickipedia/Twitter's Sickipedia Profile? It's absolutely disgusting, I know Sickipedia's meant to be sick but making fun of the dead is just...there's not even a word to describe it.

Making fun of disabled people's very sick, and I get angry over that, but death is no joke. All of my respect for Sickipedia has been lost (they sometimes have some good, funny and less offensive jokes).

I would say 'hope they rot in ****', but that would be as bad as what they have done. No-one deserves to die (and if possible shouldn't die), but to make fun of them is just beyond belief.

I hope his family and friends recover from this shock, and I hope Speed is enjoying himself in heaven (if there is one)! R.I.P.

Just to add, has anyone seen the jokes on Sickipedia/Twitter's Sickipedia Profile? It's absolutely disgusting, I know Sickipedia's meant to be sick but making fun of the dead is just...there's not even a word to describe it.

Making fun of disabled people's very sick, and I get angry over that, but death is no joke. All of my respect for Sickipedia has been lost (they sometimes have some good, funny and less offensive jokes).

I would say 'hope they rot in ****', but that would be as bad as what they have done. No-one deserves to die (and if possible shouldn't die), but to make fun of them is just beyond belief.

I hope his family and friends recover from this shock, and I hope Speed is enjoying himself in heaven (if there is one)! R.I.P.

Yeah they're cropping up on facebook aswell. Some people just have no respect or humanity.

Although they are harsh and not needed if people feel this way then they should feel this way about all the jokes made about dead people. There were loads about Amy Winehouse not so long ago and Michael Jackson and i didnt see many complaining about it then. Just because Speed was involved in football dosen't make him different to any one else i named.

What a sad day. I really never saw this happening.

Was so shocked this afternoon when I heard the news. One of the first players I'd name if people asked me for great Premier League players.

RIP.

Was really shocked when I heard this earlier.

RIP.

I remember watching this in the clubhouse at around 1 o'clock this afternoon and the whole place was just shocked. I mean what can anyone say? It's a truly tragic event, I'd rather Speed be remembered in death the way he was revered in life - as a fantastic professional, a visionary coach with a unique individual ideology, one of the Premier League's greatest ever players and just a brilliant human being. The role model is lost on a lot of modern footballers but Speed was one of the first posters on my wall as a kid and I never stopped admiring what a fantastic professional role model he was.

No words I say will help or comfort his family and friends but the sense of shock I've felt all afternoon is something I'm sure most people in football have been feeling.

Immensely sad, it's an event that really makes you re assess your own life and step back from football. Thoughts are with his family, must be a horrendous shock to his young kids.

I can't even remember much of the Liverpool vs City game, we were all too busy remembering great moments from Speed's career. Hope that Wales and his family can somehow find comfort in the admiration and adoration that a lot of people had for him, hope that both FAW and his family can move on from this but it will be extremely tough. If it's this tough for me as an admirer of him and this much of a shock, I can't imagine what the people closest to him are going through.