Germany or France I think. Also Portgual and Holland can be fun, if your a top team :S

Italian league is fun if you go someone like geno,sampdoria,palermo,napoli because they all have good players and you can potentially win the league

Spanish league is fun to try and break the top 2. Portugal would be a huge challenge if you wanted to start as a small team. The small teams there make no money, have tiny stadiums and **** facilities. It's nearly impossible to compete with the big 3 because they have so much money and support and such good players. In FM you can count on two of them finishing in the mid 70s or higher (30 game season). I think that would be the biggest challenge. Breaking the big 2 in Ukraine would be a challenge too. I think Russia would be a really fun league to manage in, although I don't know anything about it.

I've only played Italy and Spain.

Italy is more open in terms of competition and registration, around 6 teams taking the hot seats, usually 2 will under-perform and it's quite possible for a top team to be relegated, in my save, in the second season, Roma finished 17th, with Parma relegated (Not a top team, but not relegation material either). In terms of registration, there is no maximum players registry in the league, which allows you to build a very deep squad, only limitation is the one non-EU signing per year.

Spain is more structured, very narrow competition, Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate, while Valencia, Sevilla and Villareal watch in the hope of gaining a european spot. Only 25 players per team per season, which is quite limiting if you're rebuilding.

If you want a real challenge in Italy, try re-building the team on crutches (AC Milan), very low budget and an aging team. I'm in my third season now and they've given me a target of winning the league with a transfer budget of 1.2 Million USD :D

Last edited:
Really? Apparently in real life, Germany have the highest TV revenue second to the EPL. :S
yeah won the league with wolfsburg and you get around 24 million prizee money, but only 9 mill tv revenue. compared to 40 million blackpool get!!! lol. they get big sponsorship thou, i had 1 sponser of 17.5 million. so swings and roundabouts. but tv revenue is poor

I'm thinking of starting a save with Athletico Madrid. Should be interesting because they have some quality players (Aguero, Forlan, Simao, etc), and I think it wouldn't take too long to become better than Madrid and Barcelona.

Maybe try something like that?

try it, with the right players i managed to win my first title in just 3 seasons.

Germany FTW. Good prize money and sponsorship and and exiting unpredictable league. And probably best of all - no work permits. ;)

Ukraine FTW. Instead of Shakhtar, try managing Dynamo Kyiv or Dnipro. Worth the challenge. Brilliant league and some great bargains ;)

Havent tried it on this version but did the Russian League with Rubin Kazan on the last FM. Was amazingly fun to be honest, much better than the main leagues in the game. Its mainly Russian players that I had but it was realy good trying to buy the best players in the league for relatively cheap money then complimenting it with the best foreigners you could find. But the biggest and funnest challenge was in europe. Had an amazing tactic of all out defense but with a counter attach style. Played 5-4-1 against Real Madrid with the striker, cant remember who he was, on 20 pace and 20 accelleration and had tactics set up for him to run onto long balls out of defense. won 1-0 home and away to reach the quarter finals! AMAZING!

A little off topic but I used this tactic on the current FM with Kidderminster Harriers in the Conference for FA Cup games and managed to get them to the Semi-Finals!!! But then i got trounced 8-1 by Man U.

Try the chinese league. It's pretty hard even if you are a top club. Only 3 non chinese players rule