tbuc

Reaction score
div>

View attachment 68247

I may still be in denial that my home nation did not qualify for the 2018 World Cup. Thanks to FM18 I can take over the U.S. National Team in the midst of the 2018 qualifying campaign to insure they do make it to Russia. The last time the U.S. failed to qualified for the World Cup was in 1986 and I intend to keep it that way. When this game kicks off, the U.S. will sit top of the table in the fifth and final round of the qualifying campaign. More information to come in a later post.

Disclaimer: I’ve read quite a few stories on here over the past few years, however, I’ve never posted. I’ve also noticed there has been very few international stories, if any. With that I hope this one can draw some interest.

U.S. name Buckingham as their new manager

View attachment 68242

The goal is obvious. Short-term, qualify for the 2018 World Cup, make it to the Round of 16 and hopefully further. Looking long-term, the idea is to bring a new crop of young players in and develop them for 2022. There hasn’t been much change since the 2014 cycle as the likes of Tim Howard, Michael Bradley, and Clint Dempsey are still the leaders of this team. Their veteran leadership is vital, but those three players are in their thirty and well past their prime. This nation needs change and are yet to find the players to develop a new plan around. The immediate plan is to focus on 2018 Russia with that right around the cover. After, we need to find some young talent who is everyone’s first name out of their mouth when the roster is being assembled.

There are a few names not far away in DeAndre Yedlin and John Brooks, however, Yedlin really hasn’t grown as a player over the last couple of years and Brooks still lacks the consistency needed to be a leader in the middle of the defense.

Top Players

View attachment 68233

Michael Bradley- The Toronto FC player may be 30 years-old, but with 138 caps to his name he is the first player on the team sheet and will continue to be handed the captain's armband. Playing in the number 8 role, he is the engine that runs this team. With experience playing top flight football in England, Germany, and Italy he has played with and against the best in the world. He has excellent stats to be the class center midfielder (19 stamina and work rate, 18 teamwork, 17 marking, and 16 tacking) this team needs to compete with the best.

View attachment 68232

Christian Pulisic - At just 18-years old, Pulisic is hands down the most exciting player this nation has to offer. He’s already established himself at Dortmund and has been linked with a move to many of the best clubs in the world. Arguable the best American player, he has the potential to be the best ever. He has all the stats to be a top quality wide player as long as he continues to get consistent minutes at club level. He is the youngest player ever to play for the U.S. national team, youngest to play in a World Cup qualifier, and youngest to score in a qualifier. Oh, and he’s the youngest non-German to score in the Bundesliga. Finally, he’s also the youngest American to appear, record an assist, and score a goal in the UEFA Champions League. Can you tell I’m excited about him?

View attachment 68231

Fabian Johnson - One of our “German-Americans,” Johnson can play anywhere on the left side of the pitch. He is great physically and has the metal and technical skills to play as a left back or on the left wing. With left back being one of our biggest weaknesses, he’s played plenty of games at the back. However, he is one of our best attacking threats, so he has also seen lots of time as a winger. I’m still not sure where I will play him. I do know that the Borussia Moenchengladbach man will be in the starting XI.

Top Youngsters

View attachment 68230

Weston McKennie - At just 18 years-old the Schelke midfielder could find himself heading to Russia, assuming we make it. He may only have one cap at the senior level in the Bundesliga, but he should see the field a fair amount this season. He has advanced stats for someone his age and looks to be the direct replacement for Michael Bradley when he hangs up his boats. He already has the physical stats to compete at the top level and his technical and mental abilities are not far behind. He should be a leader on this team not long after 2022.

View attachment 68229

Tyler Adams - Also 18 years-old, Adams is a starter for the New York Red Bulls in the MLS. He is a natural right back, but his club team has him playing as a defensive midfielder. He may not have the stats to play in the center of the park at the international level yet, but if that experiment fails, he could still push DeAndre Yedlin for the right back spot before 2022.

View attachment 68228

*Timothy Tillman - This one is a question mark. He was born in Germany to an American father and has been capped at the German youth level. Just like McKennie and Adams, Tillman is 18 years-old and is currently on the bench at Bayern Munich. He is currently holding out in hopes he’ll get the call to play for Die Mannchaft. If we can convince him to make the one time switch he will be a vital part in our success going forward.

Fixtures
View attachment 68225

We are currently in the fifth and final round of qualifying known as "The Hex." Posted above is the 2017 schedule and as you can see we are yet to drop points. Not posted is the two games we played in 2016 which we won both 2-0 to Mexico and Trinidad & Tobago. Crazy to think the U.S. is yet to concede in six matches. Can I finish this calendar year off in the same fashion? Our next match is in Mexico at the historic Estadio Azteca, so I'm not liking my chances.

Table - The Hex
View attachment 68224

I did not realize we had already qualified! Mexico and Costa Rica are right behind us in second and third respectively. Two nations expecting to quality. Anything less would be a major disappointment. The only real surprise is Canada. They do have the likes of Scott Arfield who plays club football at Burnley and Junior Hoilett who is a regular in the Cardiff City side. But, outside of those two there isn't much else.​

View attachment 68199

August 26, 2017

View attachment 68200

The roster for the next two qualifying matches has been announced and boy was it tough. Obvious choices include Tim Howard and Brad Guzan in net. At the back Yedlin has been a mainstay at right back and that will continue. In the middle John Brooks has established himself as our best option and he will be paired with Geoff Cameron who continues to get minutes with Stoke City in the Premier League. On the left, easily our biggest weakness, we'll see Monterrey wingback Edgar Castillo. In the middle of the park Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Jones were easy choices. The U.S. will be without there top option Bobby Wood. Jozy Altidore has been out of form for the majority of the 2017 season, yet his experience gets him a spot in the team. Jose Torres gets the call for the first time since 2013.​

View attachment 67866

Mexico came out on the front foot in this one and took the lead through a Chicharito header at the near post. Edgar Castillo was sucked in with all the Mexican pressure and that lead to Jesus Duenas putting in a cross with all kinds of time from the right flank. After the goal the U.S. seemed to pick things up. Our best chance came from a delicious bending cross to the far post by Pulisic, which was headed on target by the Werder Bremen striker, Aron Johannsson. His header was palmed away by the diving Mexican keeper and the rebound fell right back to Johannsson, but his follow up was saved via Ochoa’s left leg. After the second half whistle it didn’t take long for Mexico to find their second. It all started with a poor clearance by Fabian Johnson. Giovani Dos Santos found himself with the ball at the top of the box and the former Barcelona man played in Rodolfo Pizarro, who ripped one past Guzan. After making a triple change in hopes some fresh legs would help in the attack, Mexico picked up their third. Carlos Vela picked up the ball at the top of the box and with his first touch he played in Javier Hernandez behind a napping John Brooks.

View attachment 67865

This was a pretty one sided match from the go. We dominated the first half and after wasting a handful of great chances, Jozy Altidore finally put the U.S. on the board in the 39th minute. After Michael Bradley blocked a Canadian clearance, the ball fell to Jozy Altidore, who set himself with his first touch and smacked a low, hard shot in the bottom left corner. Canada sat back all match and patience and creativity led to our second. Zusi found a cutting Agudelo who made a darting diagonal run from the right wing. After controlling the ball with his chest, he put in a low, hard cross across the box, which found Zusi at the far post and a tap in made the score 2-0. More U.S. pressure led to a corner which resulted in our third goal. A half clearance fell to Pulisic who controlled the poor header and hit a curler destined for the top left corner. However, it deflected off a Canadian defender and passed a helpless keeper. The officials put it down as an own goal, but I’m giving it to Pulisic as it looked to be heading on target.

Table - The Hex
View attachment 67864

We collect three points in two matches during our first international break. The win came at home to Canada. If we're honest, anything less than a convincing win would’ve put in on the hot seat already. It was the match in Mexico which had the fans buzzing. Unfortunately, a very poor U.S. performance spoiled my debut as the national team coach. I did stress before I even looked to select my first team that age was an issue. After looking over the 23 players I call in for these qualifier I see ten of those guys are 30+ years old and only two players are under the age of 24. It’s clear than after this World Cup we’ll see a entirely new generation of players coming in.

View attachment 67745

There are still a lot of question marks heading into Russia 2018. Lucky for us we’ve already qualified, so I can tinker a bit before committing to anything just yet. I used two different formations in the matches against Mexico and Canada and still want to give a few more players a chance in the team as well. The two friendly’s give me a chance to play around some more. My plan is to commit to two formations I feel comfortable with and will get the best out of our starting XI. I know in my head who our key players are, but still need these matches to determine who the supporting cast will be. For example, is the our starting keeper going to be Tim Howard or Brad Guzan? It’s crazy to think Howard made his first international appearance 16 years ago! The biggest question has to be who will be our left back? I gave Edgar Castillo a chance against Mexico and he just looked lost at times. Fabian Johnson, who is our best option, got the start against Canada and he proved he should be the man. I knew his worth going in, but he’s much more valuable in the attacking third of the pitch. I’d hate to force him to sit back when he’d be much more useful playing nice little one-two’s in the opponents half. Another idea that’s been on my mind is if I should bring in some youngsters who may not quite be good enough yet, but could learn a lot being on a World Cup roster? Weston McKennie started against Canada and held his own. He was hardly caught out, played some great balls into his attackers, but did hold on to the ball a little too long at times. Time will tell.

View attachment 67135

September 29, 2017

View attachment 67136

The obvious absence to the roster is Jozy Altidore, who is out with a pulled knee ligament. This allows Aaron Johannsson to get the call for the second time in arrow. The Alabama-born striker was in the starting XI against Mexico and struggled. He really needs to prove himself in these two matches if he wants a chance at a free trip to Russia. In net we see Guzan and Howard along with the 22 year-old Ethan Horvath. Horvath has experience in both the Europa and Champions League which is something no other potential third choice keeper can say. At the back, we called in some veterans at center back as we have a pretty good idea who the cream of the crop is at that position. John Brooks is our best option, but who he will be paired with is still a question. Besler has been a rock in the middle for a long time, but he may be a little past his time. Omar Gonzalez is a beast in the air, but may be level with Per Mertesacker on pace. Tim Ream gives us an option at both center back and left back as he’s played both positions for Bolton and Fulham. Edgar Castillo gets a second chance in the team. On paper he’s probably our best option at left back from a purely defensive standpoint. Jorge Villafana has international experience, but is he good enough? He’s had a strong start to the season in Mexico. He’s sound defensively and a force getting forward which has translated to his handful of assists for Santos Laguna this season. There is also plenty of experience in the midfield and on the wings. We called in the likes of Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Darlington Nagbe, Geoff Cameron, Danny Williams, and Fabian Johnson. There are two players called in who are on the bubble who come in the form of Paul Arriola and Weston McKennie. The 22 year-old Arriola has pace, ability on the ball, and can put a ball in the box with little space. McKennie made his senior team debut against Canada and held his only. He’s definitely one for the future, but I’d love it if he could prove himself worthy of a spot on the bench by next June. Let’s see how the boys get on!

View attachment 66595View attachment 66593

It was a very boring first half as the first shot on target came in the 26th minute. It was only a tame header which looped comfortably into the hands of Tim Howard. The only real U.S. chance came from a corner kick through Omar Gonzalez. The center back was free at the near post, but guided his header disappointingly over the bar. Things livened up in the second half. Nagbe recorded the first shot on target for the U.S. which resulted in a corner. On the ensuing set piece, the ball was half cleared to Geoff Cameron whose shot was heading for the upper left corner of the net, but he was denied by a world class save from the Real Madrid keeper, Keylor Navas. Navas was finally beat by the Stoke City midfielder in the 84th minute when Cameron hit one right on the screws into the upper ninety. Both sides had a chance to add another goal to the match. The first came off the left boot of Michael Bradley who was denied by another class save by Navas. And finally, in the final minute of added time Tim Howard palmed one over the bar at full stretch to keep his clean sheet and ensure his team all three points.

View attachment 66592

We got the three points, but were wasteful in the final third. It wasn’t just one player either. Our first chance came from an Arriola cross to the far post which Pulisic headed wide from about four yards out. Johannsson hit the bar from about the same distance, and Nagbe blasted one into ‘row z’ from about eight yards out. Outside of our finishing, we played well. Weston McKennie was named Man of the Match as he bossed the middle of the pitching completing 83% of his 117 passes. He may only be 19 years old and have just three caps, but those appearances have all come since I’ve been manager. He’s really proved himself as a reliable source in the middle of the pitch. Paul Arriola put in a MoM display himself and probably would’ve won the award if he wasn’t subbed off. The D.C. United winger was hands down our biggest threat in the attack. He was the man who put in the brilliant curling cross which found Johannsson between the two Jamaican center backs. Johannsson redirected it with his first touch passed the keeper. He played himself into the conversation for Russia 2018.

Table - The Hex
View attachment 66590

The top three are no surprise as the U.S., Mexico, and Costa Rica have dominated the CONCACAF for the last few World Cup cycles. We also have to congratulate Canada for qualifying in the playoff position. They are looking for a trip to the World Cup for the first time since 1986. We are yet to find out who they will play.

CONCACAF Roundup

View attachment 66524
It's hard to really look at the ratings since they're only calculated for the four qualifying games that took place when I started this save. Looking at those matches it no surprise to see a lot of Mexicans. West Ham striker, Javier Hernandez, was the top player. His seven goals in four matches is what led his nation to the World Cup. His striking partner, Carlos Vela, bagged three in four giving him a 8.25 rating. And rounding out the top three was center back Diego Reyes who collected two assists in two matches.

View attachment 66523
We already know about Hernandez and Vela, but it was another striker, Cyle Larin, who was second on this list. He scored five of his countries eight goals. That was enough to push Canada into the playoff.

View attachment 66521
Carlos Vela added four assists to his three goals. With a striking partner of Javier Hernandez's quality, it's no surprise his name was up there. Behind him was four guys with two assists.

Last edited:
View attachment 66512

November 2, 2017

View attachment 66511

At this point I have a good idea of who I want to bring to Russia. Now I have to call in the majority of those guys to build chemistry. At the same time I do have to call in some fringe players, so I can give them a fair chance to prove themselves as well. Howard, Guzan, and Horvath are the clear favorites to be on the World Cup roster. In the middle of defense, Brooks is a lock, but I still need to figure out who he will be paired with. I'm still not sure who will get the start in these two friendly's. To the right, Yedlin and Chandler are the clear cut favorites. And on the other side of the defense, Castillo and Villafana are likely to be in the squad heading to Russia as well. But, who will start? That's still for them to show me. In the middle, Bradley will slot in as our box-to-box midfielder. The other guys who got the call this time around are more defensive minded. I still have to fine someone who will help Bradley push forward in the attack. On the wings, Johnson and Pulisic are pretty much locks for the World Cup. I thought Arriola deserved another look and Nagbe has a lot of international experience and can play as a #10 as well. Up front I left out Altidore. He's had a pretty disappointing MLS season and Johannsson has had a strong start to the Bundesliga campaign.

View attachment 65932

Our first real convincing win since I’ve taken control of the United States. We hit the bar twice in the first half, but our attack never let off. Our wingers haven’t excelled, the say the least, in any of our matches yet, but that feeling changed tonight as Fabian Johnson found the back of the net twice. Lots of the credit has to be given to DeAndre Yedlin as he constantly pushed forward and created three clear cut chances and tallied two assists. One position that is still a big question mark for me is at center forward. Clint Dempsey was given 45 minutes as a false nine and was a major threat while adding a goal. At 34 years old and with his stamina rating at 10, I’m not sure he’ll find the pitch with the first team, but he could be a major threat off the bench when we need a late goal.

View attachment 65930

Congratulations to Clint Dempsey for becoming the U.S. all time leading goal scorer!

View attachment 65931

This one was a bit of a layoff. We did win 1-0, but the score really doesn’t matter in a friendly. Of our 16 shots in the match 14 were from outside the box. I really like our options in the middle of the pitch, but, like I mentioned in the past, we really don’t have anyone who is a real threat going forward outside of Michael Bradley. In this match I sat Bradley to see who would take charge in his absence. Weston McKennie, who has been a bright spot for us, was that man today. However, in the final third he still has a lot to work on if he wants to be our captains replacement in the future. He had three shots in this match, all of which were more likely to hit a cars in the parking lot than the back of the net. Danny Williams also got forward quite a bit (not as much as McKennie) and tallied four shots, one on target. He seems the more likely one to score, but with the ball at his feet, McKennie was the bigger threat to make something happen. I’m hoping one of those two can prove to me they deserve to be in the starting XI before we head to Russia.

World Cup 2018 - Qualifying Part 1
View attachment 65929

Asia
View attachment 65928
South Korea win Group A and reach the World Cup for the nine consecutive time. Also out of Group A, Iran qualify for the second straight time and fourth time out of six. They hope to make it out of the first round for the first time in their history. In Group B it's Australia and Saudi Arabia. The Socceroos make it for the World Cup for the fourth straight time while the Green Falcons go for the first time since 2006. Japan will play Canada in the playoff.

Africa
View attachment 65927
Unlike in real life, Algeria will be playing in Russia. Maybe now Riyad Mahrez can showcase his talent against the best in the world and finally get that move he's still looking for. Ghana's 1-1 draw to Egypt on the final matchday was enough to see them through. Mo Salah's goal was not enough to lift Egypt. South Africa tops Group 4 which means we will be without another one of Liverpool's stars in Sadio Mane.

Oceania
View attachment 65926
New Zealand knock out New Caledonia 6-0 on aggregate in the OFC Finals. Was there ever any doubt? They do have to face the fifth place finishers in South America if they wish to play in Russia, however.​

World Cup 2018 - Qualifying Part 2
View attachment 65925

South America
View attachment 65924
Argentina didn't wait until the last day to qualify like they did in real life. And for those Chilean fans feel blue like me, well it's now okay, you at least qualified for the playoffs! The match will be against New Zealand who shouldn't put up much of a match.

Europe
View attachment 65923
View attachment 65922
Holland avoid embarrassment by topping Group A. That means France are forced to play in a playoff! Wales qualify over Serbia and Ireland. Ireland are given a second chance by way of the playoffs.

View attachment 65921
The only really exciting match was France v Denmark. It was 0-0 after the first leg at the Telia Parken in the Danish capital. In the second leg, France make it 2-0 within the first 20 minutes through goals by Raphael Varane and Karim Benzema. After Paul Pogba came out injured in the 29th minute Denmark bagged two of their own to level the scoring at halftime. It was Pogba's substitute, Blaise Matuidi who netted the winner in the 61st minute.

Intercontinental Playoffs
View attachment 65920
Chile and Japan are the last two nations to qualify.​

World Cup 2018 - The Draw
View attachment 65872

Who do we want to face? I would say a team who lacks pace. I think we could matchup much better with a more physical side as we have a fairly physically strong side ourselves. In the midfield, Geoff Cameron has experience as a center back and defensive midfielder in the Premier League. Danny Williams also has Premier League experience as he’s been a regular for Huddersfield this season. He has great physical ratings like Cameron. In the middle of our defense, both John Brooks and Omar Gonzalez are dominate in the air and lack pace. Lucky for us Brazil is in Pot B with us. Here's a look at the Pots:

View attachment 65871
View attachment 65870
View attachment 65869
View attachment 65868

In a perfect world we would be placed in the same group as Russia. The two teams I'd love to avoid are the two South American sides. The thought of facing Messi, Di Mara, Ageruo, and Dybala makes my stomach turn. Pot B has the likes of Belgium and Brazil who I think would've been a tougher opponent than the majority of most of the nations in Pot A. I'm sure glad we won't have to face either of them in the Group Stage. In Pot C the team that stands out is Spain. Where ever they end up with likely be the group of death.

View attachment 65867

Lets hope we end up in Group A. If not A, please not Group B!

View attachment 65866

Could've been better, but at the same time a lot worse. We match up with Germany just like we did in 2014. Now onto Pot C where we hope for anyone but Spain.

View attachment 65865

We avoided Spain which was big. Wales are a good side. As long as we can contain Bale, Ramsey, and Ben Davies we should be okay... Right when I drew the last team in Pot D the screen automatically switch, so I couldn't take a screen shoot. We draw Iran who will likely finish fourth.​

2018 Fixtures
View attachment 65853

Now that the World Cup Group Stage is set, we announce two friendlies leading up to Russia. Our boys will be up against two of the best in Europe. These two matches will be a real test as we prepare for Germany and Wales.​

2018 Fixture List
View attachment 65640
Here is an update to our schedule. As you can see our assistant added Honduras to our schedule. They are a side we should have absolutely no problem with, so I'd like to give some of our fringe guys a change to play. With the World Cup just a few months away, the plan will be to call in our strongest team against Honduras, Croatia, and France to see what we have when we head to Russia.

View attachment 65639
We are without Brad Guzan, Clint Dempsey, and John Brooks through injury which is a big blow. Omar Gonzalez is also coming off an injury, but should be good to go against Croatia and/or France. Howard and Horvath have been regulars as they will be grouped by William Yarbough. Horvath has had an exceptional year for Club Brugge while start all eight Europa League matches. He will get at least one start in these three friendlies to prove himself at the international level. At the back, Matt Miazga gets the call to replace John Brooks who is out with a broken leg. On loan at Vitesse, the 22 year old has started 23 games in the Eredivisie and posted an average rating of 7.18 while posting a 7.20 rating in his five Europa League appearances. Nothing chances at the full back positions. In the middle we see one chance since last time. Wil Trapp is dropped for Emerson Hyndman. Trapp proved himself last year in the MLS, but our midfield lacks someone who can help translate defense into attack. Hyndman has earned six starts this season for his club team, Bournmouth, in the EPL and should offer more pushing forward in the attack. On the wings we also see one change. D.C. United's Paul Arriola is dropped for LA Galaxy's Sebastian Lleget. Arriola has done nothing wrong, but I figured it was a good time to call in another fringe player. Arriola is a true pacy winger, but with the lack of goals by our strikers, I thought it was time for someone who is more of an inside forward and can make something in or around the box a go.​