View attachment 65324
The stats may not reflect this match. Honduras did forced Horvath into five saves, however all of them were fairly routine. Their best chance of scoring was on a cross to the far post which only required a tap in. However, the Honduras winger managed to blast it over the bar from just a few yards out. As for the U.S. we took our chances well. Our first goal came from a free kick. Hyndman chip it to the near post and Matt Besler headed it over the keeper and into the far post. The center back has scored in his last two games for us now. The second all started when Fabian Johnson picked up the ball near the halfway line, cut inside, and found Aron Johannsson at the top of the box. He turned and played in Darlington Nagbe with a nice little through ball which Nagbe finished through the keepers legs. Our third came from a darting run down the right from Nagbe who slipped past his marker. He played in a great cross between the center backs which was finished by Johannsson with his first touch. We need to keep up this form in front of net if we want to have a chance against Croatia.

View attachment 65323
Very impressive win in Croatia. We sat back and looked to play on the counter, which allowed Croatia to dominating possession. Our tactic did play off leading to our first goal. A long ball was chested down by Jozy Altidore at the halfway line and the Toronto FC striker played in Darlington Nagbe who blasted one past the keeper at his near post. I have to give the team a lot of credit as we were well organized at forced the home side into a lot of long distance shots. They were able to level the scoring right after the break. After a short corner, Jorge Villafana held the ball for too long and lost possession. That led to a Croatia break and eventually Ivan Perisic hit one passed a helpless Tim Howard. It was pretty back and forth for the rest of the match until we picked up the winner. Michael Bradley was unmarked on a corner and headed one which looked to be heading wide. Omar Gonzalez found himself at the right place at the right time and tap home Bradley’s shot.

With Pulisic out through injury, Nagbe was giving his chance and put in one **** of a shift. Our starting wingers, Pulisic and Fabian Johnson, are two of our best players, however, Nagbe has really impressed when given the chance.

View attachment 65322

The new comes as a big blow for both Bobby Wood and the U.S. National Team. Wood is one of four players competing for three spots at the center forwards position on the U.S. Word Cup roster. Wood is projected to be out for about five weeks and I have to announce my preliminary squad in two and a half. Is it worth listing Wood? He's scored four goals this term for a Hamberg side fighting to stay up in the Bundesliga.​

View attachment 64774

What I do know is our three keepers are set. Yarbrough will miss the cut. At the back I called in Kellyn Acosta into the prelim squad. He’s just 22-years old, but is a first team player for FC Dallas in the MLS and plays both at right back and in the midfield. He’s one for the future. In the middle I called in six, which will get cut down to five. Emerson Hyndman and Wil Trapp will be the two fighting for the final spot. Hyndman offers more pushing forward which is what we need, but Trapp offer more in defense. That is something we’ll need when we’re up against the best in the world. On the wings the three obvious choices are Christian Pulisic, Fabian Johnson, and Darlington Nagbe. Paul Arriola is a very pacy winger who has a 15 rating at crossing, dribbling, first touch, and agility. His seven assists in 11 starts this season for DC United in the MLS can’t be ignored either. Our other options are Sebastian Lletget and Jack Harrison. Lletget is more of an inside forward who is finally getting consistent minutes for the LA Galaxy and he’s really proved himself. He has a goal and four assists in 13 MLS matches. Finally, Jack Harrison has eligibility for England as well as the U.S. He’s only 21-years old with loads of potential and needs to be cap timed soon. Up front I called in four guys all of which I’d like to keep. None of them really stand out to me. Both Wood and Altidore have great strength and would be vital for holding up play, while Johannsson and Dempsey are better with the ball at their feet. Let’s see what happens!

View attachment 64432
The World Cup roster is all set! The big news is no Clint Dempsey. When he played for us he was out of position as a striker or as a false nine. It’s unfortunate and sad to see him not on the World Cup roster. He is the all-time leading goal scorer and third most capped United States players. With that said, here’s a look at the team:

Keepers:
Brad Guzan and Tim Howard bring a ton of experience to the team and that is something that can’t be replaced. Ethan Horvath has experience in the Champions League and Europa League last season with Norwegian side Molde and again this year with Club Brugge. He is only 22-years old and does has some learning to do, but with nine clean sheets in 31 starts this season for Club Brugge there’s no doubt he deserves the call.

Fullbacks:
We are weak at left back for sure. Edgar Castillo and Jorge Villafana are the top options for now. Castillo made 23 appearances, 20 which were starts, this season for Monterrey in Mexico. His club lost in the Liga MX final this year. Villafana started all 35 matches for Mexican side Santos Laguna this term before missing the playoff through injury. On the opposite side, we have two fullbacks playing top flight football in Europe. DeAndre Yedlin started 11 matches for Newcastle United, helping his side finish a surprising 8th place in the Premier League. He more than held his own in the EPL as he recorded a 7.00 rating. Follow right back Timmy Chandler made 24 starts for German side Eintracht Frankfurt. He has excellent physical stats and work rate plus does a great job pushing forward. Chandler bagged two goals to go along with three assists.

Center Backs:
John Brooks was the first player I selected when choosing my center backs. He’s been a consistent starter in the Bundesliga for five of the last six seasons now. Matt Belser was a starter heading into the 2014 World Cup, but was injured in the opening match against Ghana. He’s back at the age of 31-years old. With his great mental stats, he will be a leader and organizer at the back. Besler has not had the greatest start to the MLS season this year, but he’s a great passer and is strong with the ball at his feet for a center back. When we finally step onto the pitch my goal is to play out from the back in hopes to keep possession and Belser will be a vital part of that. Another option is Omar Gonzalez. He’s been apart of the senior team since 2010 and now has 50 caps for the U.S. He’s physically very strong and dominate in the air. Our final option is Tim Ream. He left the United States in 2011 for England and made 13 appearances in the Premier League that year for Bolton. Since then he’s been a regular in the Championship for Bolton and then Fulham where he currently plays. Ream can also play as a left back and in a holding role in front of the center backs.

Midfielder:
We will lineup with three in the middle. Our captain and leader on the pitch will be Michael Bradley. He has 143 caps and will be the man turning defense into attack. He has key ratings of a 19 work rate and stamina, 18 teamwork and bravery, 17 marking and determination, and 16 tackling just to name a few. Lining up next to Bradley will be 19-year old Weston McKennie. He broke into the Schalke first team this season and made 14 appearances in the Bundesliga. He’s a very exciting prospect who has proved himself worthy of a starting spot on the senior national team. Another one returning from the 2014 World Cup roster is Geoff Cameron. He’s well established and has 163 caps with Stoke City in the Premier League, however, he maybe past his prime. Danny Williams is another midfield player in the Premier League. He started 36 of Huddersfield Town’s 38 matches. He will likely be one of my first choices off the bench. Finally, our final option in the center of the pitch is Emerson Hyndman. The 22-year old was sold by Fulham to Bournemouth last year, but sent the year out on loan with Rangers in Scotland. This season he broke into the Cherries first team and made 11 appearance in the Premier League. His first touch and passing rating of 15 is better than any of his fellow CM’s. However, he’s much more effective going forward than in defense. He will be a solid option off the bench if we’re looking for a late goal.

Wingers:
Our top option is Christian Pulisic. At 19-years old, he is the player U.S. fans are most excited to see. He’s quick, has great vision and an excellent dribbler. He will be a major threat on the right wing. On the left we have our quickest player in Fabian Johnson. He has been a regular in the Bundesliga for seven seasons now and played in the Champions League last season as well as the season before. He is superb on the ball and may be our biggest goal scoring threat. Our top option on the bench is Darlington Nagbe. He’s been a regular call up since I’ve taken over and seems to produce every time he’s on the pitch. Our final option is Paul Arriola, who I am very excited about. He has all the traits to be an excellent winger and at 23-years old he could be with the international setup for many years. After leaving Mexico for the MLS he been one of the best players in the league. In 14 starts this season he already has seven assists and two goals.

Strikers:
Most fans will be sad to see the omission of Clint Dempsey. He is the U.S. all time leading scorer and brings a ton of passion with him on the pitch. This time around we will see Jozy Altidore, Bobby Wood, and Aron Johannsson. Altidore and Wood has great strength which will be vital in holding up play allowing our wingers get involved in the attack. Johannsson is much better with the ball at his feet and more clinical in front of the net.

View attachment 64431

It seems Omar Gonzalez could miss the World Cup, which is a bit of a blow. He probably wouldn't have started over Brooks or Besler, but if one of them needed a breather bringing in Gonzalez wouldn't have been a let of to the squad. Now our top option is Tim Ream. He's not nearly as strong in the air as Gonzalez is, but he is superior with the ball at his feet.​

Looking forward to see how you get on with this and also seeing what prospects might make a push for the next run with regens coming through

View attachment 63771

Final Preparations

View attachment 63770

It’s do or die time. The national side has prepare four years for this. Now we have two more friendly’s to get through and it all starts. The big news leading up to the matches has been the injury to Omar Gonzalez. Although John Brooks is our standout center back, Gonzalez and Matt Belser is pretty much interchangeable. Gonzalez is expected to miss anywhere from 9 more days to 3 weeks, which means he could miss the first two matches of the group stages. I’m hoping if that’s the case FM allows me to replace him with Matt Miazga who made the 30-man prelim roster (not sure what the rule is). One big question mark leading up to Russia is who will be the starting keeper? Brad Guzan and Tim Howard have been going back and forth ever since the conclusion of the 2014 World Cup and I do know I want to pick a number one from this point on. Howard has been the favorite for many years now, but at this point it’s clear the 39-year old is past this prime. He lost out as the number one to Joel Rubles at Everton which say him return to America. However, he really hasn’t stood out for the Colorado Rapids in the MLS. Guzan hasn’t took the bull by his horns and stepped up while Howard’s form has dipped. Guzan didn’t cover himself in glory in his final season with Aston Villa which saw him make the switch to the then newly promoted Middlesbrough side. However, he lost his starting spot to former World Cup winner Victor Valdes not long into the season. He also made the return the the MLS, but unlike Howard, Guzan has been one of the best in the league for Atlanta United.

The defense is pretty much set. With Gonzalez sidelined, we know Belser will lineup next to the Wolfsburg center back, John Brooks. There is some competition at both fullback positions. On the right, after a break out season with Newcastle, DeAndre Yedlin will get a chance to show off his pace has he’ll be in the starting 11 over the Eintracht Frankfurt man, Timmy Chandler. On the left we’ll see the aging Edgar Castillo start over Jorge Villafana. Both play club football in Mexico for clubs that made it to the playoffs.

In the middle of the pitch, Michael Bradley, who is also on the wrong side of 30-years old, will be our ball winning midfielder and the man who will be turning defense into attack. Lining up next to our captain will be the 19-year old Weston McKennie. The youngster broke into the Schalke 04 first team this season and will be put to the ultimate test over the next two months. Also in the middle, Geoff Cameron has the slight edge over fellow EPL midfielder, Danny Williams. Cameron found himself stuck on the bench this season for Stoke City, and struggled at times while on the pitch, but he still may be the better option over Williams. The German-born American, Williams, did has a slightly above average season for Huddersfield Town this term, and I fell does deserve a change. Both guys will get a start in the upcoming friendly’s to see who will be the starter.

Nothing much to say about our wingers. Christian Pulisic and Fabian Johnson, both who play in the Bundesliga, will start on the flanks. Darlington Nagbe, who has been one the best in the MLS for a few years now, will be the backup on both sides. Don’t be surprised if Paul Arriola get a chance late in a match as well. He has great pace and crossing ability down the right side.

Finally, upfront, we have Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, and Bobby Wood. I still have no idea who I want to start. I would like to play out from the back and work the ball up the pitch. I think Johannsson would be our best option at that. However, when we’re up against Germany, we’ll be spending a lot of time pinned back in our own half just clearing the ball whenever we get a chance. With that said, I think we’ll need the much more physical, Bobby Wood on the pitch to hold up play if we’d like to give our wingers and midfielders any chance of pushing forward.

Looking forward to see how you get on with this and also seeing what prospects might make a push for the next run with regens coming through

Thank you for your comment! This is a very old team with 8 player 30+ years old and 17 players 25+ years old on the 23-man roster. We'll defiantly see a lot of changes after the World Cup.

Good luck at the World Cup! The US definitely have some real standout players so to see them not qualify for the competition in real life was a surprise. You have a chance of making it into the knockouts for sure, the game against Wales will be the real must-win game for you as I can't see Iran posing too much of a threat and Germany should comfortably wrap up the group.

Good luck at the WC! Im sure there will some good regens kicking about soon as the USA is an ever improving nation when it comes to football!

View attachment 62260

We were up against the likes of Antoine Griezmann, €105 million man Ousmane Dembele, and N’Golo Kante today. With that said, I told the team is sit back and attack on the counter. And that sure did pay off. We were compact in defense and forced France into long distance shots throughout the match, none of which worried Brad Guzan in net. The best three chances in the first half came from us. The first came from just outside the box on the right hand side of the pitch. Emerson Hyndman put in a delicious ball which Tim Ream put on net with a free header, but it was right at Hugo Lloris. Christian Pulisic had another chance on a free kick just outside the box, but he also hit it right at Lloris. Our breakthrough came in the 40th minutes thanks for Michael Bradley who almost squandered it. It started when Pulisic was brought down in the box and the ref pointed to the spot. Bradley hit the bar on the penalty kick, but he tapped in the rebound to put the American’s up 1-0. The second half was all France. Our lead was undone in the 94th and it was deserved. Lucas Digne, who was in a ton of space, put in a cross from in left which found his Barcelona teammate, Dembele, who headed down for Griezmann who then leveled the scoring. We have to give a lot of credit to our boys who held their own against the 8th ranked team in the world. Next up we face the 9th best team in England and if we can have a repeat performance, we will start the World Cup with a ton of confidence.

View attachment 62257

Another great match for the U.S. We won the possession battle, but we lacked any real threat in the final third. Guzan was only forced into four routine saves in his 57 minutes of play. It was a very even match throughout. Matt Besler won a header on a counter kick early in the second half, but it went agonizingly wide. Jozy Altidore also had a great chance on another set piece, but headed his effect right into the hands of Jordan Pickford. England's best spell came in the dying minutes of the match. Raheem Sterling had a crack from just inside the box that looked to be curling into the top corner, but Howard was able to tip it over the bar. On the ensuing corner Michael Keane hit one sweetly on a half clearance, but Howard palmed the effort it over the bar. In our last three friendlies we’ve been able to beat Croatia and draw against France and England. All three nations are currently ranked in the top 10 by FIFA. Next up is the World Cup!!!

Group G: Matchday 1
View attachment 61645 View attachment 61644

1st Minute: The whistle blows and the United States gets us underway.

3rd Minute: Pirouzan wins the ball just inside the U.S. half and centers it to De jajah. He plays it back to Pirouzan who was making a run down the left flank. With his second touch the ball is switched back to the middle where Alireza picks it up at the top of the box. He takes one touch and has a crack at goal. Guzan is able to palm it straight down at gather it.

38th Minute: Yedlin win the ball on an Iranian throw-in. He dribbles past his marker and brings the ball into the opponents half. He plays a short pass to Pulisic who cuts in and switches play to Fabian Johnson on the left. Johnson slips in Castillo who is making a run down the touch line. The Mexican-American puts in a cross, but its cleared by the center back. The clearance fall right back to Castillo who tries to head it to Johannsson making a run in the box. And the ref points to the spot!! Johannsson was tripped in the box.

38th Minute: Johannsson places the ball on the penalty spot. He steps up and rips it into the top right corner of the net! 1-0 USA.

42nd Minute: Yedlin picks up the ball on the right and makes a run toward the end line and puts in a dangerous cross. It's headed clear, but right to Michael Bradley who is standing at the top of the box. Bradley plays in Johnson to his left who turns and shots! But, it's from a tight angle and the Iranian keeper gets down quick and pushes it wide for a corner.

45th Minute: Pirouzan picks up the ball on the halfway line and slips pasts Yedlin's attempted slide tackle. He plays it to Alireza at the top of the box who takes a touch and scuffs his shot well wide. Wasteful.

HALFTIME

46th Minute: The referees whistle get the second half underway.

47th Minute: Alireza lines up a free kick from about 25 yards out level with the left post. He takes a deep breath, runs up and hits the wall. Disappointing, but Iran get a corner. On the ensuring corner Tafazolli wins the header, but its right at Guzan who catches it.

42nd Minute: Brooks plays a long ball to Johnson on the left who makes a run down the left flank. He puts in a excellent cross which finds Johannsson who hits it with his first touch. The shot falls into the diving keepers hands.

61st Minute: Pulisic steps up and takes a free kick from just outside the right side of the box. Brooks wins it with a header, but its right at the Iranian keeper. Big miss.

79th Minute: Pulisic picks up the ball in the Iranian half. He turn and leads the U.S. in the counter. He plays in the substitute Jozy Altidore who is through! He's in the box and riffles it!! But, its off the on-rushing keeper and out for a corner. A massive left off.

80th Minute: Pulisic takes the corner and puts in a teasing ball. Brooks is unmarked at the near post and heads it past a diving keeper!! 2-0 USA.

90+3 Minute: Iran have a corner and its played to Alireza at the top of the box who smashes it on goal! Guzan drives down to his right and holds onto it.

90+4 Minute: The referees blows his whistle and its all over. USA 2-0 Iran.

View attachment 61636

Last edited:
Good job so far man!

Have you think about Julian Green for your team?

Good job so far man!

Have you think about Julian Green for your team?

Thank you for the comment. Green is probably on the C squad right now on the left wing. Fabian Johnson and Darlington Nagbe are clearly my best options right now. Behind those two I think Sebastian Lleget, Jack Hairrison, Kenny Saief, and Julian Green are right there.

Group G: Matchday 2

United States (1-0-0) Wales (0-0-1)

View attachment 61236View attachment 61236View attachment 61236
1st Minute: The whistle blows and the United States gets us underway.

6th Minute: Pulisic picks up a pass from Geoff Cameron, who dribbles it toward the left corner flag. The Dortmund man zips a pass back to Cameron on the edge of the box. With his first touch he finds Weston McKennie at the top of the box. He tries to curl one into the top left corner of the net, but it’s wide. You’d expect the Schalke man to at least get it on net.

8th Minute: Fabian Johnson makes a run down the left and puts in a teasing cross toward the near post. It’s cleared to McKennie who taps it to Bradley with his first touch. The capitan blasts one from just outside the box. It’s passed the keeper, but off the bar and cleared from danger!! Unlucky...

9th Minute: … DeAndre Yedlin picks up the ball on the left. The U.S. work the ball around and it ends up back to Yedlin near the end line. He puts in a cross toward Altidore who out jumps his marker!! It’s off the bar again. What a spell of possession with nothing to show for it.

16th Minute: Johnson centers the ball Bradley. With his first touch he plays in Pulisic on the right. The winger hits it first time across goal, but its saved by a diving Hennessey.

19th Minutes: Cameron plays a ball to Yedlin near the edge of the box. He takes a touch and plays a pass to Altidore. He tried to wrap his foot around it, but it ends up right into the hands of Hennessey. It has to be a matter of time before the U.S. find their breakthrough.

26th Minute: Next to the left corner flag, Chris Gunter throws it to Gareth Bale. The Madrid winger take two touches toward the left side of the box. He plays it to Joe Allen who lets it run onto his left foot, but he rushes his shot and its well wide.

45+1 Minute: With the ball at his feet ,Johnson makes a run into the box and toward the end line. He puts in a cross toward the far post which is cleared, but right back to Johnson. With his first touch the German-American heads it to the near post where Altidore is making a run! He rips it home with his left foot!! 1-0 USA. It was deserved.

HALFTIME

47th Minutes: Pulisic over hits a cross and it ends up at the feet of Johnson on the left just outside the box. He smashes a low hard cross across the face of goal. Altidore is there for a tap in!! But, no he somehow hits it right at Hennessey who was still recovering.

68th Minute: Bradley brings the ball into the Welsh half and plays the ball to Johnson who is in tons of the space on the left. Gunter comes sprinting out to close his down. Johnson passes it back to Bradley right before the Reading fullback dives in with both feet. With Johnson down in obvious pain, the ref pulls out a red card. Not much argument there. It’ll be an uphill battle from here for Wales.

73rd Minute: Paul Arriola loses possession with a heavy touch right on the halfway line. Ben Davies, with his first touch, plays a long ball over the top to Bale who is in a foot race with John Brooks. Bale brings it into the left side of the box as Guzan comes sprinting out. Bale has a shot and it’s off the outstretched arm of the U.S. keeper! What a save. It’s could’ve easily been 1-1.

78th Minute: Johnson picks up the ball on the left making a run along the touchline. He lays it off for Castillo who hits a long, deep cross into the box. Altidore wins it between the two center backs, but guides it wide.

80th Minute: Bradley lays a pass off for Danny Williams. He looks up and sees Johnson in the box. With an excellent first touch he creates himself just enough space. He has a shot, but it only finds the side netting. Will the U.S. ever put this one away?

83rd Minute: Davies plays another long ball to Bale over the midfield to Bale. He takes a couple touches and with the two center backs closing him down, he rips it from about
20 yards out, but it’s wide.

87th Minutes: Hyndman plays a ball to the left for Johnson. He dribbles it toward the box and puts in a superb cross to Arriola at the far post!! But his header is tame and the Welsh number one grabs it out of the air.

90+3 Minute: Davies inbounds the ball to Bale who quickly centers it to Allen standing at the top of the box. He sees Ramsey making an angled run and plays him in. With Yedlin on his side, the Arsenal man toe pokes its on net! But, Guzan is there to make a great save. That could be it!

FULL TIME: It’s all over! The win puts the U.S. through to the Round of 16!! They still have to face Germany, but that isn’t on their minds right now. Well done by the Americans as the final score doesn’t reflect the dominant display they showed on the pitch. The unfortunate news is the U.S. will be without Weston McKennie through yellow card suspension.

View attachment 61237

Last edited: