Giant Killing - Solihull Moors F.C. road to the Premiership

Reaction score
*Images from the first two post seem to have problem getting uploaded. No idea why.

Season 1
Post # 1 : Giant Killing - Solihull Moors F.C. road to the Premiership
Post # 2 : The Moors
Post # 3 : The Pre-Season
Post # 7 : The First Three Months (1/3)
Post # 10 : The First Three Months (2/3)
Post # 11 : The First Three Months (3/3)

Post # 16 : The First Major Upset!
Post # 20 : The Reds are coming!
Post # 22 : First Complete Season!

Season 2
Post #26 : Season TWO Report! *NEW*
Post #27 : Slaying a Giant! *NEW*
Post #28 : Power Overwhelming! *NEW*
Post #29 : Golden Age! *NEW*

Giant Killing

Solihull Moors F.C. road to the Premiership

Introduction

I first found Football Manager 2010 when I was looking for second hand games in a local and thought it was a great find. I was so disappointed at first as the learning curve and everything else is a bit high. I quickly dropped it when I find myself lost inside the game itself. Mid 2011, I found a 2011 copy in great shape and really made up my mind to push through with this game. I installed the game and found myself a playing it for 2 weeks non-stop just in time for the 2012 version. Been reading a lot in this forum and thought, why not post a story of my game as well? Hopefully, this ride is a successful one. I'll probably just update this with highlights of my journey. I would at least make a monthly report on how my team has progressed. I'm a little new to the Game and so I may need a couple of your advise as I go along the way. To make things a lot more interesting and Challenging I will play the game I'll go about it following the LLM Challenge.

View attachment 202652

Basically, the LLM asks for the player to go about the game as realistic as possible and that's how I will go about it. Again, the game will be a lot more challenging that way. I loaded up only England for now since I'm concentrating on them and will probably add new leagues as I progress with promotions. I had a small database just for my game to run faster. I don't know if it will later on bite me from behind.

On with the team choice. I had two choices. It's either to play the oldest team in BSN/BSS or the newest team. In my search, the Magpies were the oldest (1870) and the newest was Solihull (2007). I went with the newest club thinking it would be also be a great way to build up the Club's history (thinking all the bad-*** things we could accomplish). Right now my goal is to reach the Premiership and hopefully win it. I'll also try and do my best in other competitions. Hopefully this story can be fun and educational for some.

A two liner on wiki says: "Solihull Moors F.C. is an English Football Club, founded in 2007 by the merger of Moor Green and Solihull Borough.The club plays its games at Damson Park, Solihull and competes in the Conference North."

View attachment 202655

Last edited:
The Moors

Giant Killing - Solihull Moors F.C.

2Q==

View attachment 202654

View attachment 202653

At first look the team wasn't that bad. An Obsecure reputation means it will be a lot more tougher to find interested people to take part in club activities. Players and Staffs will be second guessing offers

An Okay finance and a 3k seater of a stadium is a great way to kick it off. I'm projecting around 200-500 people to follow the team.

Training Facilities are fairly Basic so it's not really really good. Youth Facilities are even rented. I wouldn't expect myself to be developing players in the club so short term deals are our signing priorities.

Staff are pretty bad leaving me with only 3. Roger Ashby, the club's AssMan, is already pretty good in this level. Working with Youngster at 15, Judging Ability t 12 and Potential at 11 could go a long way. Important stats like Adaptability, Determination, Man Management, Discipline and Tactical Knowledge are either at 9 or 10 so I can keep him for a long time.

My Physio, Dean Spink, is okay. 12 on therapy, 10 Adaptability and Discipline, 7 Motivation and a sorry 1 for Determination. Looks like I have a pessimistic Physio here.

My only other workable staff is a Player/Goalkeeping coach. Adam Rachel is pretty decent as a keeper and a hard working Goalkeeping coach. I say hardworking because the man is Disciplined (13), Determined (18!) and very Adaptable (17!). Okay as a Motivator (7) so I need to put him to good use.

Next Episode. The Pre-Season....
(6)

Last edited:
The Pre-Season

The Staff
I'm stuck with barely nothing to begin with. With the budget I have, I can sign two-three people from my staff. I opted to go for two scout and a coach. LLM allows for Staff Search but instead I'll try to rely on Backroom Advices as much as possible.

Three Scouts were suggested for me to check out. I easily took two off the shelf.

Graham Trait was a nice find. Judges Ability well (15!) and can see decent potential (10). He's rather not very into it though with only 3 in Determination and Motivating. He's pretty adaptable with 9 though. Jack Barret is okay. 10 in JA and 8 in JP also pretty lazy with 3 on both MOT and DET. He's a bit better than Graham though who only has around 60% knowledge of Scotland as Jack have 100% N.Ireland, 95% Rep. of Ireland, 40% of Wales and around 30% of Scotland. I hurried them to go and search UK & Ireland for now. I had them search any talent and didn't specify anything. I desperately need to beef my scouting soon.

The only really decent Coach in the Advice was Craig Flynn. At this point, I'd say he's one of the best I could get. He has around 9-11 in every spot which is nice but what I love is the 12 in Fitness category. 14 in Determination and 9 in Motivation makes me think I got a nice steal here at only $80 per week. I snatched him to be of service until 2014!

Now my backroom job really is lacking. Right now, I auto assign the individual trainings and set everyone to Conditioning P/T schedule. I put everyone on Medium level which will most likely make everyone unhappy. I couldn't careless though since I expect the winning to cover up for this.

The Squad

My squad isn't really in bad shape but has a couple of decent players here and there. I greatly favor either a 4-3-3 formation (that looks like a 4-5-1 that have four at the back, three Midfielders, a AMR, AML and a lone Striker), the conventional 4-4-2, and my main 4-2-4 formation (shown above). My 4-2-4 is pretty much similar to Raikan's Might and Magic but a bit Rigid and plays a slower tempo. I make use of the Stopper/Cover combination which is pretty good in lower leagues and most players can easily fit in (Marking should be set on Zonal).

I have 8 guys on 3 stars and up and will pretty much build from them. I do not bother with the Player's Potential since I expect to outgrow these players when the club gets promoted. With bad training facilities and youth recruitment, the Club will focus on present talents and not invest at all on the future. So there would be no problem taking in old folks to play as long as they produce the result.

Richard Walker, Simon Johnson and James McPike will be my top Strikers and will have to slug it out to get to the team's starting XI. At first glance, I know I lack a decent wingers, a better left back and one good Midfield.

The Pre-Season
The very first Match between the Senior and the Reserved ended with 4-2 with the 4-2-4 formation. It went on to win 4-0 against Chester and Northwich 6-0. Simon Johnson, Richard Walker, Craig Hinton (Defender) and Dominic Langdon (Defender) were impressive scoring goals in that 3 game stretch (that's crazy 14 goals in 3 games). Despite the success I feel the need to get a better AM R/L that can rotate as a Striker. Since I can't use Player Search, I'm lucky my new feed is filled with a lot of stuff going on. For one, my country's national team (PHL) keeps on updating me. A news feed on the concern of the National Team leads me to this player:

Meet Phil Younghusband, a Striker from the Philippines. He has 11 Accelaration and 10 in Pace so he's considered in this league "pretty fast" already, 7 Dribbling and 10 in Finishing makes him a decent scorer in my book. So I snatched him up but he won't be joining until after international duties so I have to wait for him. I spent the Pre-Season taking in scouted players on Trial and mixing it up with my current squad. My Pre-Season looks like this:

We're pretty good offensively against the teams with smaller reputation and I think the team is ready for the long grind. Phil is the only signing I have for my squad and has easily secured his position as a Left/Right Attack Midfielder. His first game was in 1.8.2011 in an 8-1 win against Milton Utd.

Next Episode. The First Three Months....
devil.gif

Last edited:
The First Three Months (1/3)

The First Step

It's almost always important to have a great pre-season in order to carry the momentum towards league games. So whenever it is possible, I try to stick in a Friendly somewhere in between schedules. Not only it is a great morale boost but gets you a little bit more money. The Moors' season opener will have to be an away game against Blyth.

New Signing, Phil Younghusband showed signs of things to come with an early strike to send the Moors ahead 1 - nil. The Spartans equalized 3 minutes after the goal with a shot outside the box and took the lead 34 minutes into the game. Ball Possession was on my side but my players just can't convert and we saw the Spartans cracking our defense a number of times in the little times they have the football. At the half, I thought to myself that I do need to look for a better Defender than what I have now. The second half started and the former Chelsea-reserve equalized with a header. The possession went back and forth until Michael Blackwood equalized on a counter.

My first league game as The Moors' manager didn't go too well. Panicking isn't a trait of a good manager so I decided to push through with the team and test it against a much smaller team. Gresley, a Semi-Pro team in Midland Football Alliance. We were expected to dominate but ends up with an unconvincing 2-0 win (the second goal from an O.G.). Now it even makes me think that I need to better my midfield to link both ends well.

I turned to my scouts, Graham and Jack, and I found to really good prospect. So I brought them in for trial to check them out and finally penned them on Free Contracts. I can't remember but I think one of them were from Trial day.

Tom Griffiths is a nice Midfield alternative. At this level, he can be considered a good find even though he lacks a bit in some Physical areas. I believe he can still deliver the goods and a pretty good upgrade from what I have so I signed him up.

Robert Cavener has tons of upside. Although I may not really be neading a Right Fullback, I was impressed with his overall stats. It's not godly but for a Blue Square North player, he's pretty much up there already.

I'm still in search for another defender and perhaps an upgrade of my Striker and Center Backs.

-

My first home game will be against Stalybrdige Celtic. I can feel the pressure to deliver a good opening game to ensure the people of things to come yet it just won't. First half saw both teams playing poorly. The Celtics imposed their dominance almost bombarding us with attacks. My team seem to find trouble getting the ball across and finding a decent shot. At the half, the rest of my staff can't believe we only managed to get TWO tries at goal. This is unacceptable. To even further frustrate my staff, we saw our speedy Forward, Will Richards get injured. Team Talk and I told the squad I'm disappointed. They responded positively and hope they rally around their injured teammate who gave it his all. Less than 15 minutes into the second half, we got ourselves a corner and Center back Stuart Pierpoint feeds it in for the lead. Everyone was so happy and the fans finally woke up. Possession are now at even but the visiting squad has always managed to crack our defense open. They are blasting through the left part of the field as the last two games had been. I was hoping we could hang on but on the 75th minute, my midfield broke down and we were scattered. Craig Hobson shot from way outside the box and equalized. I hated it but the team seem to never broke down, we battled till the last minute and saw James McPike score the game winner in stoppage time.

It was a very long and tiring game but a win is a win. I had a 7 day break after this game and thought to upgrade my defense. Cavener joined the next day and Griffiths followed a day after. My scout found a former Truro player and got him right up without even asking for a trial.

Alex Jeannin is a pretty slow player but he should be a rock on Defense. 14 Aggression, 10 Anticipation, 12 Bravery, pretty much makes up for his decebt Tackling (7) and Heading (8). He's pretty much a rockstar at age 33. I finally found a good left back who can come up and throw crosses. Next on the list would be to fine tune my offense and get a Striker upgrade.

Next Episode. The First Three Months (2/3)....
devil.gif

Good read so far. I know a couple of those players as I played with them when I was younger. Alex Price and James McPike.

Will deffo be following this.

The First Three Months (2/3)

The Second Wind

July was pretty good. My Moors went 4 wins and 1 draw in League Games. Scoring 11 goals while allowing only 4. It seems like we perform well away than at home. We defeated FC Halifax and Gainsborough 3-0 (both are away games) but somehow played a miserable 1-1 draw against Corby. Alex Jeannin only decided to join just in time for the Gainsborough match and prove to be a quality signing for Solihull. Interesting enough Salisbury was trying to pry out Richard Walker and I was being tied to a rumor on Liam Wilkinson.

September was a pretty short stretch with only 4 league games so I threw 3 friendlies around to get as much experience in my squad as possible just before the FA Cup and FA Trophy Cup starts. I know this will be the first two cup games. I really don't need a R/L Midfield with the 4-2-4 formation but I was interested in a recent player news that I signed him up for Trial. First friendly against Congleton continuedour home woes. Althogh only 51 were in attendance, the game went back and forth slightly edging the supposedly weaker team 4-3. Crawley Down was the second friendly of the month and it turned to a shoot out with a 4-4 ending. I couldn't careless because it's only a friendly with only 71 people in attendance! (LOL). Liam Wilkinson finally made the cut and with him able to play as back up AMR, I snagged a deal of $60 per week. I find him quite useful to bring the ball up and man the middle if he have to. The 18 year old has really good Anticipation (10) that he's been intercepting passes and consistently connecting on his passes. Anyway, Toughest game of the month was against the streaking Worcester where it needed some magic in the second half.

Worcester
(home) went on to dominate the first half 2-0. We were broken at the half until a lucky penalty was Awarded and Walker struck gold. Only being down by a goal, my squad rallied and levelled 6 minutes before the game ends with a lucky strike from my recent signing Liam Wilkinson. Backroom Advice got me a pretty nifty player but is another Right Full Back. I decided to try him out:

Check out Tony Brookes. Not really the best out there but at Free Contract and a good Decision (12) stat with all around mental goodness (15! Team Work, 11 Work Rate). He's just enough to foil passes and make smart decisions on defense. I think it's great to get a guy like him just as a reserve.

Anyway, I think the Worcester game was such a momentum booster for my team (despite the loss) that we went on to trample over these two teams:

And that's how you end September.... with a BANG! (LOL)

Next Episode. The First Three Months (3/3)....
devil.gif

The First Three Months (3/3)

Totaalvoetbal and a preview to the Killing!

September ended on a fairly good note; winning 3 of the Blue Square North games and drawing 1 game, and scoring 14 goals and conceding 5 in the process. The blow out wins before entering October prepared the Moors for their first FA Cup draw this season. We got an away draw against a Southern Premier squad - Lemington. The game was just a walk in the park as the team finally got my formation by heart and is playing with so much confidence. Match Preparation alternates from Defensive Positioning and Attacking Movement. 3 Weeks on DefPos and week on AttMov just to mix things up. Also, I was toying with formations mid-September and had a good run mimicking the Dutch's total Football.

We were stellar in this match that we went on to see glimpse of the "Giant Killing" we are capable of. Two days after the Lemington game, I scheduled a friendly against the lowly Maltby Town that was purely disappointing. Paulo Counago's name started appearing in my feed that I became curious. I offered him Trials but he refused. I believe three or four others were interested in signing him (First time I saw him and man he had superb stats at this level of the game). Unluckily he decided to sign up for another team for trial already.

I had a couple more days in between and I'm feeling lucky so I tried to set up a friendly against a team with a Much Larger/Very Large Rep none other than Scottish Premier - Aberdeen. I was still using the Total Football and guess how it ended up.

This is perhaps the first "giant" we've slained and although it's just a friendly, it gives me great joy that we were able to do such a feat (not to mention on an experimental formation). The Moors' future is looking way bright right now. We barely had the possession since we're playing at a much faster pace. Streaky Simon Johnson put the home team ahead just before the half time sending 1891 in attendance wild! 3 minutes into the second half and Scottish team was caught napping on a counter attack. The Crowd went on a frenzy until Aberdeen's Steve Black and Ryan Barr connected and went on to level the playing field with less than 15 minutes into the game. A dramatic Steve Black went on to connect with Striker Vernon but was foiled by the Langdon/Broadhurst pair in the center. The ball went to Ryan Beswick that send a long prayer to Phil Younghusband that struck gold attacking from the corner.

5 days later, we get to set up a rematch against Worcester, the game progressed as it would a month back. Everything tied up. (Salisbury)Coveted striker Richard Walker sent the home team ahead with a shot yards away from the box. The team went to the locker room with high hopes edging the City even though we are not dominating the stats sheet. It was almost de ja vu when Harry Rubbins equalized on a follow up from a blocked header attempt and everything was even again. The Moors' gave them a taste of their own medicine when Craig Hinton notched his first FA Cup goal.

We closed the month to qualify for the 5th round of the FA Cup. The game was against Alfreton who is currently 3rd in the standings. Richard Walker continued his success finding goals on the 32nd before Drewe Broughton equalized on a penalty kick from Karl Broadhurst's tackle inside the box. We were dominating possession but Alfreton keep on pouring in the pressure out shooting us 2 to 1. The second half was a different story when Ricketts, a aging Striker, Trait scouted scored on a cross from Phil Younghusband. The Filipino Striker/AM went on to seal the deal on a long range effort 15 minutes left in the game.

The First 3 months was a complete success. Playing a 4-2-4 formation and a 4-3-3 formation that resembles that of the Dutch's Total Football and signing bargain players tested from Trials. It is very important at this point of the game to learn and get used to Offering Trials to players to test them out. Preliminary stat reading just won't cut it. Everything changes when they are on the field and are playing. I've signed average players but I made them perform above expectations. I always look to scout players which is very important in LLM. The limited resources should force you to make full use of other staffs in scouting. Tinkering with formations is also the best way to bring out the best from your players. There's a million ways to play and go about this game.

View attachment 202705

1.8.2011 - 29.10.2011
11 Wins
0 Loses
2 Draws

FA Cup: Qualified for the 5th Round

Total Goals Scored: 38
Total Gaols Conceeded: 13

Next Episode. Giant Killing: First Major Upset....
devil.gif

Last edited:
Hey! Thanks BeadSTARR. Alex Price has performed pretty average in my save and James McPike is holding his own pretty well.

No problem mate.
Yeah he looks average to say the least on the game, but he is a top top quality player. Strangely he was released by Birmingham when he was 14/15 never understood why. Keep up the good work man.

Craig Hinton and Richard Walker are legends!

Nice layout and good detail, keep it up mate!

BeadSTARR happens all the time to a lot of young prospect. It's a pretty harsh environment out there.

Luke Phillips were they Legends? They were really good in my save. Walker is perhaps turning into my best Striker at the moment. It's amazing when he goes on a scoring streak.

Following this because Phil Midworth is my P.E Teacher lmao!

Giant Killing: First Major Upset

The Killing!

The game is all about momentum and sustaining it. I've read that somewhere down the road, your trusted formation will seize to produce the intended result and so it's almost always important to not stick to only one formation in one full season. I, for one, have played a 4-2-4, a 4-3-3 "Total Football", a 4-3-3 that resembles a 4-5-1 and a basic 4-4-2 formation but so far have fielded the first two the longest and the most frequent.

Games starts to pick up and pack around October to December. November is a bit compressed so no time for any friendlies so the Trialist would have to wait to prove their worth. It's also a great time to get an extra Physio. Unfortunately, I can't get anyone to sign because those that are pretty average are asking for more than $300 and I could only afford $250 worth of Physio so I decided to just play my card right and rotate between my players. Rest the key ones on not so important games and to sub them if the win is already there. It's a great move to avoid injuries and keep them running for a long time.

The Moors continued their run of wins winning 2-1 against lowly Hinckley, 3-2 on an away game in Eastwood and was impressed with a Midfielder (Center) Bradley Quamina. A pretty decent Ball Winning Midfielder if your side would need one early on. You can probably ****** him for free later on (which I did for Free, LLM rules is okay with this for as long as you've seen or played against the player). (I missed documenting this part but instead will post a photo one season into the game. Some stats may have change give or take say a point)

Bradley is decent overall for BSN/BSS but not your starting XI type. He's a good upgrade if you don't have much in your rotation. We played in Guiseley next, coming out above 3-1 behind Liam Wilkinson and the streaking Simon Johnson who was now upgraded as a Key Player in one of my recent Backroom meeting.

12.11.2011 marked the First Round of the FA Cup. We went up against fellow Blue Square North competitor, Hinckley, who we just defeated 10 days ago. Everyone was fired up . Knowing that we have already defeated them, everyone was calm and into it. It's a home game which can probably bring a couple hundred to watch. The schedule has been favorable for us looking ahead to 6 days before the next match so we can go all out here...

...and we went a bit too far there. A 7-0 win here record for Biggest Win in the club's short history and would pretty much take long before it can be broken. Looks like everything is turning up the club's way. The streak. The big wins. Great great momentum. Good signings. I thought it would stop there but luck was on my side when Spanish striker Pablo Counago agreed on a $400 p/w on a 2-1/2 year contract with us. His arrival saw the club part ways with two decent scorer for the club. Earlier BSN Club Eastwood signed James McPike for $450 p/w till 30.6.13 for Free and days after the historic 7-0 win saw Moors' prolific scorer in Richard Walker transfer to BSS Eastbourne Boro for free paying the striker $475 till 30.6.13. (I also missed documenting this part but instead will post a photo one season into the game. Some stats may have change give or take say a point)

Pablo will easily be the star of any team. With the stat he have he's good until say 2 years. Just enough to get you to NPower League 2. Just be sure to take extra care when fielding him and take him out if the game is won already. He's not getting any younger and so you need to take off as much mileage from him as possible to make him last longer.

Now. here's the tricky part. Days after recording the most poinst scored in a match by the Club we got into the draw and learned that we'll be playing AFC Wimbledon. At around that time, AFC Wimbledon are battling for the 5th spot in NPower League 2. They are a tall hurdle. With a month to go, I turned to my star signing Pablo and field him for as much as possible and resting him in between to keep the wear and tear to the minimum. Team Preparation went to Very High on teamwork and I played 4-2-4 in an attempt to be the best choice to go around Wimbledon's 4-1-2-1-2 position that's probably middle heavy in the middle. In the next 4 games everything went well for the Moors...

As AFC Wimbledon go alternating winning 2 then losing 2 games, catching them on the end of their own 2-game slide helps as the rest of my squad has been peaking in terms of their performance. Pablo only started grasping the Club's style of play nearing the end match date against them. It's not that everything was perfect in my side, I have injuries problem as well probably because I mismanaged a bit on training forcing almost everyone on the heaviest workload.

My best Defender Karl Broadhurst injured himself in a reserve game. Striker Simon Johnson is just recovering from an injury days after the Altrincham game and so I have to make use of the average players in the roster. Right at the bat, Pablo scored 5 minutes into the game giving loads of confidence to my squad. The goal came from a quick counter on the left side of the court. Wimbledon's Porter connected with Dijali on their very first attempt but rotational player Stuart Pierpoint playing Limited Defender as a Stopper foiled the attempt allowing veteran left back Alex Jeannin to clear the ball to Phil Younghusband down the flank. Sammy Moore marked him tightly and almost got the ball with a tackle only for the ball to swing forward to Michael Ricketts inside the box, with the Shoot on Sight shout on, he did what he's asked only for the Seb Brown to deflect the shot falling right in front of Pablo Counago close enough to be tapped in.

The team sustained the surge and played with a lot of energy and was even further motivated when Pablo scored on a Jamie Stuart challenge that lead to a penalty kick with 3 minutes left in the first half. It was a 2-0 score at the half and everything just went the Moors' way from there en route to a 2-0 upset.

We were consumed with the win and with the first TV covered game of the season it just made it even better with the money we'll make. And in front of 1337 (LEET! LOL!) home crowd, we are on track to increasing game attendance in the next few months. Scoring the Clubs' first major upset, from November to December Solihull Moors were undefeated scoring 49 goals and conceeding 17 goal in all League and Cup Matches.

Next Episode. Giant Killing: Playing with Fire....
devil.gif

BeadSTARR happens all the time to a lot of young prospect. It's a pretty harsh environment out there.

Luke Phillips were they Legends? They were really good in my save. Walker is perhaps turning into my best Striker at the moment. It's amazing when he goes on a scoring streak.

They played for Bristol Rovers mate, were critical to our promotion in 2007. Walker scored some absolute beauty's and Hinton was also a very consistent performer. Also scored against Fulham back in our FA Cup Quarter Final season as is genuinely a decent guy!

Amazing! That's what I love about football! Absolutely anything can happen and any team can and will always have the possibility of beating the other.

The Reds!

Scouts and Backroom Advices!

Scouts are pretty straight forward. To make them do wonder, you should give them assignments with predetermined conditions so they can focus on what you need. This saves you time which is gold in this game. The better your scouting network is the easier you can spot rare finds and even get them really cheap. From time to time, I always check on my Backroom Staff. I find the 2012 version a bit more active as they usually go back and forth changing Players' Squad Status and giving them additional trainings. Most often than not, your staff knows who can take the extra load and not be unhappy with their training schedule. It's important to keep the players happy so morale will always be high. It has an astronomical effect in game results.

I had my scout bring over defenders as I am more than happy with my offense. In Lower Leagues, it's always important to get better upgrades of whichever part of your squad that needs to since most are offered with Non-Contracts or sometimes really cheap Part Time Contract. I say keep on signing (especially the Free ones) since you can part ways with anytime. I think you only pay for their appearance fees if you decide to field them. To get a better feel of the players you'll be signing, I suggest Offer them Trials. I always ask for 4 Weeks during the regular season and ask to test them till the End of Pre-season. I had a couple of trialists brought by my staff from their scouting. I'm particularly impressed with three:

My current Goal Keeper, Jas Singh has been really effective and so far have an average rating of 7 which is really good given. James Gilpin was brought by a scout and was luckily on Free Transfer. I do not have any decent back up Keeper so it was a no brainer. He have a pretty good keeper stat overall not to mention a high One-on-One Stat (15!) and cat like Reflexes (13!). What he lacks in Anticipation (a sorry 5 for a keeper), he more than makes up with Bravery (12!).

One suggested by my backroom was Thomas Lskov. A Left Back who can play all the way to AML which is pretty nifty. He has great Winger stat and very fast! 15 Acceleration, Agility and Pace. He's a decent crosser and could really work on his dribbling. He's the athletic type that doesn't have much on the mental side (lacking in anticipation, bravery, and concentration) which makes him somewhere in between a real wing back and a winger. He'll pretty much be really useful in some stretches. He'd be a beast if you set him on Dribbling focus and coach him to "Dribble down the left flank on a regular basis". His speed will allow him to bring the ball up from the back allowing additional players inside the box when he does.

The third one I signed is Gavin Donoghue. A natural defender who can play either center or on the right well. He's a good Right Back because of his high Marking and Tackling throw in a high Concentration score (all three at 13!). He's the perfect candidate to mark opposing wingers. With 12 Accelaration, his 9 Pace is more than enough to close down the opposition. Put him on Strenght training to make him a beast.

That's right about everything I signed middle of January looking ahead to a tougher FA Cup draws.

I opened the new year with a disappointing 2-2 draw at home agaisnt Blyth Spartans. It definitely put my men and myself back to the ground that we are not unbeatable.

I only have 4 more days to prepare before the 3rd Round of the FA Cup and I sure don't feel good with our chances. Because of cancelled games, my schedule is tougher the week of the FA Cup match. After the Blyth game, I had the squad take the day off hoping to play the Stalybridge Celtic still in good form. The Celtics were on top form at that moment, winning 7 of their last 10 games and winning by a 2-goal margin. They are playing a 4-4-1-1 formation that seem to be unbeatable at that time. I figured if I can dominate the space between their 4 defender and 4 midfield, I can actually get a chance.

I first thought of a 4-1-4-1 tactic but thought my midfield line is a bit low so I pushed them all way up and got this. Everyone is set on Countering and I pushed my defensive line way up, marked the opposing AMC and STC tightly and have them shown their Weaker Foot (!!!Great Lower League tactic as most players have their other leg at Very Weak status). We dominated the possession like I thought we should be doing. I had my defense to always clear the ball and we almost always get the possession and turn it to an attempt every time. The game was over at the half when the line was at 2-0. Simon Johnson (in a position he's not used to) put icing on the cake scoring 2 more goals.

With only 2 days to prepare before the Bristol game, everyone was tired and so I had no choice to allow them 2 days of rest and hope we are 100% come the big Bristol Rovers Game (NPower League 1). I checked their last 3 games and they are fire! 2-0 against Accrington, 4-1 win over Plymouth and a 3-1 win against Crewe. They 7 wins - 2 loses - 1 draw their last 10 and has been unbeaten in their last 5 away games. Now it needs more than a miracle to get by this.

We went on to match 4-2-4 with our own 4-2-4. We are outplayed in every position but luck was on our side. Joe Anyinsah and Scott McGleish Bristol's main threat. I had them on tight marking and close on them every time. I also instruct my defenders to go hard on them. I also put the same pressure and man-marked their two center midfields. A great way to stop a 4-2-4 formation like this one is to break the connection from their defense going to their strikers. Man marking their two links in the middle means cutting off their chances of attack.

Back in the game, 20 minutes after the starting whistle, Phil Younghusband dribbled the ball center field. His passing options are all blocked, he triend forcing it in and was forced to the left flank. He sees Pablo opened up and passed near the center. With no where to go Pablo passed back to the surging Tom Griffiths that looked like he's in for a break away. Bristol Rovers center backs Byron Anthony and Adam Virgo collapsed on him leaving Pablo Counago wide open. Griffiths assisted the shot just inside the box and on to the opposite side of the keeper for the Moors' ticket to the next round.

The second half weren't easy. We were broken down numerous times. I decided to park the bus and decided to field 4-4-1-1 tactic where everyone is on Contain command. Bristol never had a chance for a Clear cut attempt. The closes was a follow up attempt that cleanly hit the post. The strategy was great and we were able to dominate the middle which limited their offense.

--

Days after the win, we were in the draw on who our next opponent would be. I was praying for Ipswich Town, Cardiff or Bristol City. Since they are the only NPower Championship level team left (and everyone else is a Premier team), I thought my chances would be better if I play against them. They drew us fourth with Cardiff and Ipswich left. Getting a home game for the 4th round of the FA Cup means we'll get money and if we drew a huge team hopefully we get another TV deal for more bucks. As they drew our opponent, I felt my luck has run out when they announced that we'll be playing none other than my favorite team - Liverpool.

I have 21 days to prepare for this. The first thing I did was get a better keeper and I finally decided to sign James Gilpin for peanuts. $50 p/w until 30.6.14 (LOL). I researched them and thought a 4-5-1 formation would be a good counter for the 4-4-2. I projected around 4-5 games would be enough to familiarize with the formation as we have say 3/4 in already. We focused on a defensive positioning and I aim to dominate or atleast keep up with ball possession and try to force a miracle. The first team to try it out on was FC Halifax. They are fielding a 4-4-2 formation so it's perfect.

It feels good as we win 5-1. Next match was a FA Trophy 2nd Round match against fellow BSN Gloucester (also fielded 4-4-2). It was an ugly 3-2 win that was 1-2 at the half. I thought we need more time for the formation to settle in. With a 7-day break up, I arranged a match against a bigger Scottish team, St. Mirren. We lost 0-2 but somehow kept ball possession at even. The next two matches were also close calls winning a 2-1 game in Corby (then currently ranked 2) and barely escaping Gainsborough 3-2 (4th then). I had only two days left before Liverpool and so i gave the squad the much needed rest. Come game time...

...it wasn't pretty. We went in and managed to control possession but it showed that we are far apart in talent. Left midfield Suso surprised the sellout crowd of 3050 with a fast strike with only 2 minutes into the game. 13 minutes later Cavener fell to an injury and have to be taken out. Karl Broadhurst was booked on a hard tackle on Dirk Kuyt that gave the visiting team a free shot at the goal. 2-0 to end the half but the team is not broken. My goal at the half was to inch closer but it didn't happen. We were very physical on defense and awarded another penalty 66 minutes into the game.

I was proud to have conceeded only 3 when we have allowed them 25 attempts that almost half are Shots On Target. It was a thrilling experience and something worth looking forward too. Next year will be different I told my squad and we'll be looking for revenge. We played with fire there but everything was worth it. The squad never faltered and the crowd was behind us all game long. I see a bright future for the moors. We ended January on a high despite the loss. The money we made all through out the season are now being put to building better Training Facilities. Till next time...

Next Episode. First Complete Season....
devil.gif