Giant Killing - Solihull Moors F.C. road to the Premiership

Having trouble when I post pictures. :'(

Hopefully you guys still enjoy my story despite not seeing the photos on the get-go. You can always click on them to view them though. (6)

First Complete Season

Keep the Doctor away!

Last time out I can't express how a team needs a good Physiotherapist. They simply make or break a team. A team with a good Physio can push their team to train harder with lesser risk of getting injuries from it. Piling good ones together has some effect on players' recovery right after games and effect on minor bumps or when players picks an injury in-game. To make it simple, a Physio sees to it that everyone is in top condition for the next game. They are also a factor in a player recovering from injuries. Physiotherapy, Determination and Motivation are prime factors in determining how good one is.

--

After the 0-3 defeat to Liverpool, we traveled to Gloucester and our defense are looking tired. Gloucester were on a tear coming to this game scoring 2 right away. Good thing our offense are persistent as ever scoring 3 goals to set a 3-2 half time lead. Thomas Lyskov went down to an injury nearing the 50 minute mark and our Physio said will miss him for the next two or three weeks. 4th goal for my side was seen 12 minutes after the injury and we went on autopilot from there. The home team threatened with a goal in the 88th but it's all too late. My side won 4-3 but it's not satisfying. From there, we had momentum and went on to 8 in a row.

We played Histon to qualify for the Semi Final Leg of the FA Trophy. The road wasn't easy. Along the way we saw a number of fall to injury or was snatched via Free transfer. Thomas Lyskov, Gavin Donoghue, Phil Younghusband, Will Richards, Michael Blackwood, and even Pablo Counago all fell to injury in that one month stretch. I guess the players are now feeling the length of the long season. Free Transfer also snatched one of my best defender in Craig Hinton (went to Guiseley), and the veteran striker in Michael Ricketts (went to Brentford). Along the way I was also able to sign a couple more players due to injuries and players that are left:

Mark McCammon is a Journeyman Striker who is a very good Target Man with his stats. Not the scorer type but can do his job pretty well. I think he still has 2 or 3 more years in his tank before caling it quits. 11 Natural Fitness and 12 Stamina allows him to outlast his younger peers when playing. He has decent Mental Rates and averae Technical attributes. Quite a good steal. If you need a tall target man who can be a threat in set pieces.

Ashley Thompson is a Center Defender who makes a perfect Stopper. A Limited Defender - Stopper that is. He has High Aggression, Bravery, Decisions, and Tackling, Teamwork and Workrate that covers up for his laughable Strenght rating (4!). He's only good as a back up defender and not as a starter. He's a pretty good pace changer on the defensive end.

Anthony Hilton was recommended and I took him anyway since he's free and I don't know when I'll be pulling a 4-5-1 card again. Since I don't have a natural Defensive Midfielder, Hilton having above average Mental rating and decent Physical attributes makes him a good piece in the middle of the 4-5-1. He only have a 7 Passing rating which I wish could be more. Set him to focus on his Passing and instruct him not to dribble the ball (only 2 points in dribbling!).

--

Injuries and fatigues almost got to us when we played Hinckley two days later. They had a great game leading 1-0 almost the whole game until newly signed Mark McCammon leveled with 10 minutes left in the game. It was a horrible game for both sides with the Moors getting two reds in one game (the most this season). A two day break and we played Guiseley, who snatched team favorite - Craig Hinton, and I can see were back on track. The game is over in the first half scoring 3-0 until Guiseley's Miguel Abalimba scored on a Penalty. The game ended 3-1 and we are feeling good when we host Salisbury for the FA Trophy Semis.

Salisbury is no easy picking. They were just right behind us all throughout in the second half. It was a good exchange and we were lucky to have come up 2-1 at the half. The second half was almost the same but we nailed them good and shut them out with our defense. The Moors' is a step closer to the finals with a 4-2 win. Mark McCammon, who replaced the injured Phil Younghusband (out for 4 months!) struck twice and is starting to look like a good signing now.

The second leg is watched by a thousand fans in Salisbury and it instantly turned to a classic. Target Man McCammon, who replaced the injured Pablo Counago, opened with a fine header from the left corner in the 8th minute and the score stood still 1-0 to end the half. It was more of a defensive battle than an offensive one and every stat is almost the same. Adam Kelly struck gold on a rare counter hugging the right flank all the way to the shot in the 52nd minute. Salisbury pressured us hard until we gave them a taste of their own medicine with a counter that resulted to a corner kick. Ashley Thompson gave us the edge on the 81st minute on a follow up but Adam Kelly was right on target in this game scoring on a direct free kick from 30 yards out. We are up and winning on aggregate but my side would want a complete victory here. Liam Wilkinson subbed for English and proved the fresher leg is a great advantage late in the game to score the winning goal in the 89th minute.

The injury bug struck us that lead me to signing Scottish Ewan Moyes who was dropped by Gateshead and so I signed him for trial, was impressed and signed him for a measly $140 till 2014. Moyes has great overall Mental attributes, average in the Physical stat and works best as a Limited Defender. He has high Aerial capabilities with his height (188cm) and stats (Heading 11, Determination 12, Jumping 14) makes him a threat in corner pieces. He lacks speed but he's still very workable.

Anyway, the win arranged us a date with an away match against Wrexham, who was recently crowned Winner of the Blue Square Bet Premier. How I wish we could have had it at home.

Wrexham wasn't much a challenge as did Salisbury did or maybe my squad is on such high after Winning the Blue Square Bet North. The momentum carried going to this game saw a 1-0 score from Simon Johnson which Gavin Donoghue doubled in the 58th minute. Wrexham's Scott Boden inched a minute later but our defense proved to be a tall order. We dominated possession en route to a double cup wins for us. FA Throphy and the BSN league Win.

The Moors' are on their way to Blue Square Bet Premier and everyone is excited to go on...

View attachment 202875

2011/2012 - The Moors Conquered - Blue Square North and the FA Trophy Cup
BSN - 42 Games Played
35 Wins, 0 Losses, 7 Draws
121 Goals, 44 allowed

View attachment 202876

Next Episode. Pre-Season Part Dos....
devil.gif

Last edited:
Thats quality, its extremely hard to go a season unbeaten. Congrats man. Good luck.

Updating the second season in the next few days. (H)

Just recently finished my Blue Square Premiere Run and should take around 6-8 episodes/posts.

Season TWO Report!

Season TWO!

So the The Moors and I bid the Blue Square North goodbye and are sure won’t be coming back down there. Morale was high and everything else is just falling in the right places. The next task come to mind was how to start profiting as we’ll need a whole lot to get my boys to a Full Time contract. For Lower League Teams, players will base their inclination to signing to your club on your reputation. There’s no real secret to this one. As far as I know, reputation points are earned through winning, tournaments, cups, and leagues, having certain staff members or players in your club that they favor, and pretty much the financial capability of the club.

I also notice the quality of the players brought in through scouting changes when you earn a little bit more money. The easiest (well not really easy) way of accumulating money is to win in tournaments (especially if you go deep within the competition, I remember getting somewhere like 500k+ when you reach the semi finals of FA Cup). When you win, you also get the chance to go up against big teams where TV rights and home attendance will rake in a handsome amount. Lower League Teams will have to be lucky to go deep in tournaments but drawing high profile teams that gets TV rights isn’t a bad consolation either. I find selling players not really a good way to profit. In my opinion, it is a bad thing unless you really are getting a good price on that player. The way I see it, only buy players that you will feature in your starting XI. Don’t bother with Hot Prospects or possible up and coming stars. The lack of decent training facilities won’t get you anywhere so only buy what you need. You save time and money which is gold in this game.

--

The pre-season is very important at this point of the game. If you’re playing in the Blue Square Premier league, you should now be thinking of how you’ll shape your team when you go up to NPower League 2. And that’s what I did as Solihull Moors Manager.

We’ve played BSP teams during my run in BSN and have not faced much of a problem. I’m lucky with my signings and the tactics (again basing it on a number of 4-2-4 tactics in the forum) and so I’m confident that we will need a few more and eventually get the team ready for the next league. My concern now is money and how I will tie my best XI to who’ll probably be snatched because a lot of them (almost half) are on Non-Contract (meaning, you only pay for their appearance fee when you field them).

I opened the season with almost the same line up, an upgraded Training Facility and near a million in profit from my first season. Now I’m looking to spend some on getting a better backroom staff and sign a couple more players to beef up the squad. N Power League 2 looks like a tough place at this point of the game.

I’m really confident with my offensive half that I didn’t bother shopping for an upgrade. Backups will do for now. What I was busy with during the pre-season was scouting for defenders that could last me till League 2. I had three prospects which I eventually signed.

Samir Bihmoutine had me at crossing and his speed. His stats can easily translate as a decent League 2 player and as early as now, I signed him up to last me till then. He’s pretty young so I can get him to train to what my team needs him to be. At the moment, he looks to be an upgraded version of my current Winger Thomas Lyskov. Samir, however, is already fashioned to be the type to run the ball all the way up and send killer crosses. What concerns me is that he has low natural fitness and a bit low on the mental side. He’ll probably be utilized as a wing back.

Soren Gerber looks like a great steal as he stands now. Pretty good overall and can pretty much last me (if I train him right) till NPower League 1. I’m looking to train him as a Center Back so he can easily rotate whenever necessary. What I love about this guy is his really good Mental stat (18 Determination and 16 Work Rate!), above average Physical rating and decent overall in his Technical stats. His stats however is pretty good as a defender and with the way things are looking, he’ll probably serve more as a Full Back or a stopper in the middle.

Will Antwi is a veteran signing. At 29, he’s still a threat on corners with his height, Jumping and decent heading ability. Pretty good overall as a defender and can start tutoring youngsters now. Speaking of youngsters, I just happen to luck on…

Adie Seedel is a really nice Striker prospect and I’m planning n training his Finishing and Composure plus individual focus on Pace to make him a decent BSP or low NPower League 2 striker. I’m thinking of two or three years before I can decide to whether sell him or not. With a good feeling for my squad it was no wonder I believe that we can easily win the Blue Square Premier.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking of making any profit yet. The focus of the team is to reach League 2 and nothing less. In order to brush away the rust and keep our momentum going, I arranged friendlies against much smaller teams. Again, it's always important to start on a winning note. I also threw in a Leicester (Championship) and Macclesfield (League 2) in the mix to test our competitive side. With the season opener fast approaching, I believe we are more than ready for it. Our first few games looks pretty much good news...

So I was in luck to get 2 games with TV right on both really good teams. Hinckley and Crew are really tough matchups but other than that the team are cruising. I failed recording the rest of the matches due to how fast I've been progressing with the game. Anyway, Blue Square Premier isn't much different in the former league Blue Square North, in fact it was easier for The Moors this time.

The squad reached only the 4th Round of FA Cup getting creamed by Brighton. It was such a forgettable game where my side failed to get anything going. I think we were held to only 3 shots and none were even on target. We, however took the frustration out on the FA Trophy and even ended the season winning back to back Champions.

2012/2013 - The Moors Conquered - Blue Square Premier and the FA Trophy Cup
BSP - 46 Games Played
40 Wins, 0 Losses, 6 Draws
122 Goals, 48 allowed

View attachment 203955

P.S. I know the BSP league is hella boring. Looking forward to the N Power League 2 where the real Giant Killing will take place. (6)

Slaying a Giant!

Let the Games begin!

The Blue Square Premier was such a bore. It’s pretty much like an extension of either the Blue Square South/North and if you were lucky with the players you signed, you end up dominating BSP easy with the same squad (and a year as a head start!). But the way I see it, you better start preparing for the bigger teams.

Upon closing the BSP season, we are proud to have turned into a Professional team. Solihull was founded in 2007 by the merger of Moor Green and Solihull Borough and in just 6 years we can’t express how proud the organization has been with the achievement. The club was able to garner profits and now we have as much as $17,000 in Payroll budget. The Damson Park, home of the Moors, has a stadium capacity of 3050 and per League rules the board pushed with its expansion. The Park will be out till 27.11.2013 and will be seeing a 1000 Seat Terrace Conversion with additional 1250 for a Standing area to meet with the Stadium Capacity Minimum requirement of 5000 (now we can total up to 5,300). For the meantime, we are gladly moving over a 10,989 all-seater in Walsall – The Bescot Stadium. The Club is still trying to look for funds to improve our facilities. At the moment, we only have fairly basic facilities for corporate, training and youth. Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment are only the basic.

Anyway, earning somewhere near half a million in profit from last season, the first thing I do is to look for decent backroom. I may have gone overboard but I pretty much filled it up:

A key signing for my scouting team was Luis Angel. I got him really cheap for 300 p/w but was really after his Spanish Scouting Knowledge. I know it is not worth anything at the moment but the possibility of opening up for Spanish players to join is what’s up. In fact, I did manage to sign 3 professionals to my side.

Pretty late before I was promoted to League 2, I was able to ****** Joseba for only 40 p/w as a Part Time coach. I had him focus on Attacking with good Determination and Adaptability. His Motivation at 7 is okay. The third one I signed was called Manuel Sempere, a Fitness coach with a 3 ½ star rating when training either Strength or Aerobic category. A fairly good steal at this point of the game for only 500 p/w.

The rest are just to fill up the necessary stats with at least 2 ½ stars and if I’m lucky I can get someone to train with 3 ½ but that’s really rare with my Club’s current reputation. I was also busy with selling players for almost peanuts just to rid of the guys who just won’t do in the next level.

Remember the sole reason I got Spanish staff? Yes, they did bring in fine players for me to check out. It isn’t for free but my budget would allow me to purchase players to further improve the Club. I got three really nice ones from them.

First up is Pablo Pagan. A versatile Left back which is a lot better than all my defenders. His stats easily stand out. I’m aiming to be a fast team this year that plays a high passing rate and he just fits the bill nicely. Second steal was the Defensive Midfielder, John Newman. Yes, I specifically looked for a decent defensive midfield because I’m starting to take a 4-5-1 formation more seriously. I’m looking ahead to the big clubs where defense is a must. John passes on speed but overall pretty average. His versatility to play MC – DMC – DC is a good point for me. I think at 23, he can still be trained on some areas and eventually be a decent starting point in attacks. The last one I signed is Gaizka Arkarazo, a fast MC with a good first touch, passing ability and teamwork/workrate. Seeing that he has a couple of bidders after him I went on to sign him thinking he’d have a good re-sale rate (and later on prove to be right).

I was looking to sign a couple more like a better striker but decided not to when I have a few gem in my U18 team. Trevor Bolton and Adie Seedel look to be a good backup if I will ever need to call them up.

Slaying a Giant!

I started the season with a couple of money making friendlies. New Castle, West Brom and Wolves got me nearly around 350k in profit (or at least that’s what I think we had from the projection). I was even surprised to have pulled one on West Brom. I think it was a really lucky win the got the boys’ morale up.

I think I even messed up with the scheduling getting League 2 (thinking of testing how I’d fare instead of starting a positive momentum) teams in the remaining of the friendlies. Anyhow, here’s how my squad look at the beginning of our campaign.

With the team’s morale not looking sharp from the earlier losses and draw, I forced a packed stretch of friendlies against smaller teams to jack it up. We opened the season against Macclesfield and it turned to an early shoot out. Counago and O’Halloran are pretty sharp scoring an early 2-1 at the half until veteran defender Will Antwi sealed the deal in the second half. Since winning the FA Trophy back to back, the team now looks forward to the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy N and the League Cup as extra competition to play in. Our first match was against League 1’s Preston North End which the squad won away from home. The game was rather sloppy with the score tied in the first half. I think we stand a great chance and morale was still good with the home team down to 10 men. The match instantly turned to a possession game that neither team had nearly enough chance to win the game. Everything went downhill when Preston’s Kevin Roberts scored as the receiver of a fine cross. We went all out and just hoped for the best only seeing 4 shots the whole game and only 3 on target. Quality attempts and finishing were the difference when Harry Bunn and Michael O’Halloran came off the bench and exploited the tired Preston defense scoring off from one-twos in the 71st​ and 87th​ mark.

The second League Cup draw was unforgiving. With less than two weeks to spare, we unluckily draw a Premier side – West Ham United. I think it was such a bad draw that I had conceded our chance of winning long before we even set foot to play the game. This is where football is such an amazing sport, anyone can beat anybody. I was pessimistic in the press conference before hand and have dismissed our chances but the boys were looking forward to another upset here as they have done the past years. The game started with an error off BSP signee German keeper Loris Karius. But two minutes later, the home crowd was caught napping when we launched a counter attack that saw the Moors’ speedy left winger Thomas Lyskov equalized. Everything went uphill from there, I know believed that we can do this and we do have a chance despite seeing the team get beaten in almost every possession and the defense bombarded by attacks. Phil Younghusband gave the Moors the lead on an unlikely error in midfield that opened up for a strike just outside the box. The crowd can’t believe it, I myself can’t but it’s uphill for my team from there. Just before the half ended, West Ham gave a penalty which sent us to the dugout with a 3-1 lead. Adam Lallana stopped the bleeding when he scored on a header to keep the home team within a goal but it was all over when Spanish center backPablo Pagan doubled the lead with fine header from a corner in the 67th​.

I guess the dream ended when we drew Premiership juggernaut Chelsea to play in the 3rd​ round. Since its football anything can happen so I still kept my hopes up. Less than a week after our historic win, we started our Johnstone’s Paint Trophy campaign against fellow League 2 competitor and scored an easy 2-0 home win.

So behind the 2 big wins against League 1 Preston and a historic 4-2 win against Premiership West Ham, The Moors opened our NPower League 2 campaign tallying 7 wins and 1 draw, scoring a home date with Chelsea for the League Cup’s 3rd​ round and another home draw against Morecambe for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Last edited:
Power Overwhelming!

Power Overwhelming!

As we went on with the season, we thought the fairy tale would never end as we went on to host Chelsea for the 3rd​ round of the League Cup. With Television coverage, and pretty much a sellout crowd, everyone was looking forward to this game and what joy would it be if we could topple such team.

The game went downhill the minute we kicked it off. Chelsea stormed to a 3-0 first half and never looked back. We never stood a chance to begin with. Possession was dominant and it was obvious which the better team is. My squad only had a 4 chances at the goal and was given a goal from an own goal caused by a corner kick. The score ended 3-1 with Chelsea not really taking the game seriously after the half. I had them on my list and will be looking forward to chances like this to score one on them. Both squads shook hands at the end of the game and the crowd applauded our performance. No one was expecting us to win but I guess the defeat brought us back to reality.

Injuries were a concern to me as I start going hard on trainings when I signed my top guys to full contracts. I left my other players to part time and non-contract as I believe they’ll be replaced when I move on to the next division. After a while, I guess the team is starting to get attention as we are offered with players left and right. One bargain deal caught my attention.

U.D. Marbella, a Second Divion B4 team in Spain, offered Abel on Free Transfer and when we discussed his contract, I can’t believe what a bargain he is. He possess fair amount of speed and is overall decent in his technical and mental stats. I’ll probably re-sell him if I can get him going. He’s versatile and can play as a Striker, AMC, ML and a DL. I also parted with the veteran center back Will Antwi to free up some space and allow my younger players more playing time.

After the defeat from Chelsea, the team’s morale seems down and momentum wasn’t there to sustain our run falling short and allowing Rochdale to equalize late in the game. Stevenage was tagged to be a easy win for my squad but ended a scrappy game that needed a goal in extra time to bag the win. The frustration continues as Yeovil dominated the game but failed to win it after allowing a penalty in the second half for the game to end as a draw. Our 2nd​ Round Jonhstone’s Paint match against Morecambe went to penalty to seal the ticket to the next round. I guess fatigue is killing us as the games are packed from 24.9 to 19.10. Morale is pretty average and it took a Team Meeting to raise it a bit. The Exeter match was even hard on us. Leading 2-0 for 2/3rds of the the game until allowing a double salvo in a span of 5 minutes to end as a draw. I sent my squad to rest for 5 days thinking that it’s the fatigue that’s causing this and I guess I was right.

We looked great against Bury scoring a 3-2 win that saw the game going back and forth. From there I guess we never looked back. We went on winning 14 games that scheduled us a date against Notts County for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy N Finals. We were so looking forward to this and pretty much hoist our first cup entering League 2. The TV right for the Semi Final against Wrexham is a good indication that we’re slowly getting more reps through winning. The 2-1 win was a classic. Playing back in the new Damson Park, almost 3000 in attendance saw a thrilling duel for the next stage.

Michael O’Halloran was playing above expectation as he orchestrated the win after Wrexham’s Tom Pope look to have sealed their fate late in the match. FA Cup started as well and we’re very lucky to have scored two easy matches against Northampton (4-1) and AFC Wimbledon (4-1) to inch higher up the rounds. Round 3 was not so much when we are to visit NPower Championship – Portsmouth. I started focusing on a more defensive formation (4-5-1) that looks to score on counter or error from the opposing team and try our luck and go to an offensive 4-2-4 in the last minute since it’s easy to shift from a 4-5-1. I started training it right after the draw and saw it go 3 wins 2 draw and a lot more to improve on in the defensive end. I also happen to ****** a couple of players on free transfer after unloading 6 players including fan favorite Phil Younghusband and newly signed Gaizka Arkarazo to sign 6 more just enough to get the squad ready for the next league as we are sitting on top of League 2.

I find my team to be weak in linking the defense and the offense so I look to sign midfields to improve my current squad. I’m also into improving my attacking wings as most of them are scouted to only be at League 2 level. First up was Paul Best, a Full back that can play on both ends who has decent speed and high workrate and overall mental stats at a very young age. He’s pretty much a copy of my best defender Soren Gerber which is pretty cool. Next one is a (20%) loan on the unhappy Robbie Cotton from Blackburn who is an above average npower Championship midfielder that’s a good midfield upgrade another one was offered by Manchester CityJunior. A very intelligent player from Guinea-Bissau and can play attacking midfield and the center mid pretty well. With an injury-plagued Left wing, I threw in a bid on Kayleden Brown who formerly played for Yeovil and Dag & Red. He’s a very fast player (15! Pace) with good physical stats, above average mental stats and decent technical attributes. Training his finishing and composure will make him a deadly scorer. Sam Mantom is the last to beef up the midfield. He’s a very athletic player that can even be trained to play a defender’s role. He has a very good mental stat (mostly 10’s and up) which means he can be trained as a ball winning mid if ever you’ll need one. Like Kayleden, he’s also from West Brom’s youth squad but pretty much didn’t make the cut. Lucky he was scouted. Last one of my signing was former Blackburn U18 player – Curtis Haley. Haley is a very fast striker that boasts of a good technical set paired with a good attacking mentality. I luck out on him and to think that he’s only 19. I signed him up thinking he’ll do well till say I reach the npower Championship division.

We arrived in Portsmouth for the 3rd​ round of the FA Cup. The goal was try to win it there and then if we can. We are bombarded by attacks; I had my boys try to go harder on their tackles and test how the referee would react. It looks like he is allowing both team to play more physically and so we did. 10 minutes into the game, Portsmouth were awarded a penalty but was deflected and cleared away from danger. The physicality of the match saw midfielder Gaizka go down to an injury. The rest of the half was the same thing until an error from our own keeper gave a one up for the home crowd. We went to the dug-out thinking that we still have a chance despite having no attempt at the goal. We tried to storm back in the second half. Everyone looks tired but motivated; in the 73rd​ Phil Younghusband was tackled hard and was out of the game. We were about to give up until Ewan Moyes drilled a header in just 8 minutes left in the match to draw even and force a match in our own Damson Park.

The rematch was a different story now. I guess fatigued got to them having to play 3 more matches before the rematch. Benjani scored in the 8th​ minute on a put back before youngster Adam Clement evened in the 20th​ mark. Prolific scorer Harry Bunn scored on a shot outside the box just before the first half ends. Benjani evened 5 minutes after the break until the first match’s hero Ewan Moyes scored the game winner just within the last 10 minutes of the match.

Prior to the win, we already drew Fulham for the 4th​ round in the event we qualified and man was I raring to have a go at it. With less than 2 weeks to spare, I focused hard on keeping my squad fit for the match. Momentum and morale is pretty high after the qualifying and I hope it carries us through. The match started with Fulham unloading nonstop barrage on my defensive line. I started with a 4-5-1 counter attacking formation and which lead to a follow up shot by Harry Bunn in the 21st​ minute. We had as much as 6 attempts in the first half and were able to match their midfield. I think they are missing some players to injury but still the difference in skill was evident. Pablo Counago made sure our third shot on target went in when we hit the visiting team on the break. The half ended with a 2-0 score something that only dreams are made of. Morale was high and everyone is playing great. 2 minutes into the second half and David Rozenhnal turned an own goal in when they had a miscommunication with the Fulham keeper. Robbie Colton, subbed in the second half, scored the 4th​ goal that sealed the win. Fulham never gave up and continued to pour the attack on. Fulham inched in with less than 20 minutes to the game with a double salvo in a 5 minute barrage but it was too late. The quality of attempt was the difference in the game and I guess a lot of luck.

The win got us npower Championship Middlesbrough with more than two weeks to prepare. I kept on the 4-5-1 formation and went on to win qualify for the final round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy against a League 1 Oxford team. I hoped for Middlesbrough to be in bad shape going to the game and they were. The game went back and forth until we almost allowed a score with the referee calling for a penalty. Habib Habibou missed widely and the game is still up for anyone. I believe that scoring first will lift the morale of the team which translates to them playing a lot better. After the half, winger Kayleden Brown scored on a put back. James Brown scored on the 72nd​ that seem to have been offside. Harry Bunn went received the ball from midfield and went all the way beating two defenders for the lead with less than 10 minutes left. Habib made up for the missed penalty with a long shot from 30 yards.

Tied game means we’ll be going back to Damson Park for another showdown. The second game was different. We barely managed to keep up with a rested Middlesbrough team. The difference in skill was evident and we were cracked open numerous times. Pablo Counago returned from an injury days before the match only to start in this 1-0 win. We locked the goal with 5 defenders and 2 Defensive Midfields and went on to win the match.

Things look good from then on but only to be up against another big team in Aston Villa for the 6th​ round of the FA Cup.

How long will the fairy tale story continue, Stay tuned…. (6)

Golden Age!

Golden Age!

The 6th​ round of the FA Cup is as far as the team has ever achieved and the staff and I aren’t looking to end such feat yet. The game stat was as misleading as it is. The Moors do have 54% of the possession battle but we were only limited to 8 looks at the goal. Aston Villa was more than able going up to 21 attempts but greatly lacks the quality only allowing 8 on target and only 1 clear cut chance the whole game. We opened the game with a defensive set – a 4-2-2-2 that heavily guards the center with the center mid man marking their wings. We relied on clearing the ball and hoping for anything to happen. The game plan to begin with was to keep it nil to nil after the first 45 minutes and attack in the second half. In the 60th​ minute, Moors’ prolific scorer, Harry Bunn struck gold from a drilling cross. With only a total of 5 shots on target, we seemed to have the quality in attempts totaling 4 to clear cut chances. Aston Villa grew frustrated with our defense and eventually conceded, awarding us the ticket to the Semi-Final round.
With our recent success against Premiership teams, my team is overflowing with confidence and started believing that what we’ve been through are no fluke. Our faith grew after seeing only Everton, Blackburn and Wigan in the mix for the FA Cup trophy. The backroom and the fans are in such a high that we barely noticed we’ve already won the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy against Oxford with the Aston Villa hero, Harry Bunn, scoring the winning goal.

The FA Cup is within reach and we are hoping to draw bottom-dwelling Wigan or the slumping Everton. Blackburn was being lead by a new coach that saved them from relegation and was sitting safely on 14th​ place. Luck is really on our side that we drew Wigan instead. The game didn’t look like we are playing a Premier team when we are actually playing them evenly. Veteran striker Pablo Counago gave us the heads up in the 38th​ minute off a break away. We went back to the dug out in high confidence and started the second half optimistic. I guess it was overconfidence that we allowed Wigan’s Lombaerts to expose our tired defense and equalize on the 54th​. I asked the defense to go harder on tackles to disrupt Wigan’s momentum until Left Winger Kayleden Brown‘s foul awarded Caldwell to score on a penalty in the 69th​. Solihull Moors fans became quiet thinking that the game was lost. It’s like destiny won’t let the dream end yet until Brown redeemed himself off a fine header in extra time to force the game to go 30 more minutes and eventually be decided on penalty kicks.

Loris Karius was awarded man of the match for stopping the last two kicks from the Premiership team. On the other side, Everton went down two goals to nil against Blackburn. The next few days flew by and the focus was to win the FA Cup and nothing else. We went on to barely win two games and was even luckier to draw the final two. It was obvious that the focus was the Final match against Blackburn.

Everyone else was writing us off and even the fans were pessimistic going into the match. We, on the other hand, were confident of our chances. We believe that we can go all the way after reaching this point. Scouting reports revealed that the Rovers are on a 3 game slump losing to Stoke, Chelsea and Aston Villa prior to the match, not only that but their top gunners Yakubu and Junior Hoilett are out to injury. And to make things a lot easier on my side is that the Rover’s morale is pretty bad (mix of fairly good to very poor). Not to get ahead of ourselves, we went to the game thinking to double the same performance we did against Aston Villa and Wigan. Striker O’Halloran scored on the 26th​ with a real poacher’s effort. Ludovic Obraniak pulled the Rovers right back in on the 31st​ and the bigger team’s over confidence that they can score at any time is evident. Pablo Counago took advantage seizing on a mistake and scoring on a placed shot to keep The Moors ahead. Obraniak showed the difference in class scoring on a long shot just 3 minutes after the last goal and the first half closed at 2 a piece. Rovers’ Stephen Hunt gave Blackburn a taste of the lead with an uncontested header in the 51st​ minute. 3 minutes later, Harry Bunn equalized on a tap-in from Marcelo Moreno’s mistake. 90,000 in attendance are treated to 30 more minutes of high scoring football. 3 minutes into extra time and Pablo Counago struck the game winner on a poacher’s effort.

What a way to end the season! The FA Cup win qualified Solihull Moors for the 2014 EURO Cup.

2013/2014 - The Moors Conquered – npower League 2, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and the FA Trophy Cup
npower League 2 - 46 Games Played
35 Wins, 0 Losses, 11 Draws
102 Goals, 46 allowed

View attachment 204553