gm-433-tso-19.3.4 / Pep, Klopp, Jose inspired

Tactic Download -
View attachment 5128

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

3 styles into 1

I’ve found it quite tricky to get a 433 working crisply in this FM. A Barca possession styled Pep requires a top class a midfield. Heavy metal Gegenpressing can leave you too open at the back & fatigured, with both systems a very one dimensional in their approach.

So bring in the ideas of my favourite boss counter-attacking Jose Mourinho along with both Pep’s and Klopp’s of the above brings along this 433 of mine.

It’s designed for top sides looking to win things that brings these three approaches. So in order to implement them, you don’t really want dumb players in your ranks so decision making is an ideal trait.

Choice of Transition

This for me was the key determinant of being able to bring the above ideas into mind. By having a balance of either looking to build up play by holding position when winning the ball, but also having the option of the counter-attack open, this is where decision making is key.

The idea in general is when facing teams that park the bus, it may be more prudent to try and build up and pass through them. Likewise when you’re under the cosh, a quick break from deep is a fantastic option – just like Jose Mourinho’s Real Madrid did so successfully beating the best ever Barca team produced to the La Liga title.

Additionally, although I always aim to win every game of football with no time-wasting, implementing a slower tempo with short passing will naturally help the team retain possession and take some of the sting out the game whenever need be. This will also help to conserve energy that can be used to press intensely and counter-attack at speed.

Intense High and Counter-Pressing

Counter-pressing utilised by both Klopp and Pepp, the balanced choice of building up or immediately counter-attacking brings both their styles into play.

By using both, possession will be sacrificed when the choice for a counterattack has been made.

But implementing both brings the benefits of hitting a sucker punch against a strong outfit also pressing high, whilst also playing patiently to break down teams that have no intention to attack, however still exploiting any opportunities where they have left themselves exposred.

Midfield Player Roles to promote Deep Counter-Attack

This choice was critical in trying to implement the deadly counter-attack of Jose’s Real. Here he had Xabi Alonso with the passing range and vision along with work-horse Kheidera roaming box-to-box.

So the roles at the base and centre of midfield consist of a DLP-D who will play more risky passes to promote counter-attacks from deep, along with a BBM-S who will also support counter-attacks that will occur higher up the pitch.

I believe with this combination in play there is also that added ability to grind out a result given both roles have a good defensive element to them.

The other central midfield role is the Iniesta Barca role of the AP-A to bring that creative threat from deep. He’ll pick up intelligent positions for the DLP-D to find him swiftly.

What You’ll Need

-A fast back-line and top class keeper-sweeper
-Good technical players with creativity and decision making
-Hard working players with Stamina
-Forwards with Pace to get the most out of the quick counter-attacks

Training / Opposition Instructions / Set Pieces

Training – “Attacking” on FM Touch
Set Pieces / No exploits – Are played short to promote possession retention. Default taker is the AP-A.

Full-backs take throw-ins.

Opposition Instructions – Now I’ve only just realised FM Touch can retain instructions. So on my previous tactics I had advised for the Assistant to take hold of them as I really didn’t want to keep changing the settings each and every game.

This instruction still stands, however the “positional” tab on the OIs appears to be maintained and suggests it over-rides any instructions the Assistant may make in addition.

This actually effects my other systems, because being possession based my choice of defensive width is “wide”. Given the two central midfielders are instructed to press in the DM strata, I want to force the play into this middle zone where the opponents midfield should be hounded by my two centre mids.

Therefore the OIs on the positional tab should be set as follows:

DR/WBR – Show onto left foot
DL/WBL – Show onto right foot
ML/AML - Show onto weaker foot
MR/AMR - Show onto weaker foot

This should bring the effect in forcing the play down the middle and right into the high-press from the BBM and APA.

Results - Barca

The squad is well suited to play this style so I picked them to play with.

We won the league with 101 points. Athletico pipped us to having the best defence in the league, although we only conceded 20 and scored over 100 goals.

Our one defeat was away to Real Betis, with our highlight being an away 4-1 win against Athletico in a game we grinded out the result and were clinical on our counters.

We also showed we could control a game well, beating rivals Espanyol at home 6-0 without them having a shot on our goal.

Winning both games of this nature is what I was hoping to see from the system. You can't play well every game, so it's good to see we can still win without bossing a game.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

---

So the hope of bringing the ideas of these three managers will bring a great deal of flexibility to deal with a number of problems. The results look promising, good offensively and solid defensively and looks quite tough to beat. It's worked well for me and hopefully it will work for others too.

Last edited:
Going to try this one, any ppms? Also who's your top scorer and what about champions league results?

And as I understood OI is set by assistant manager+show onto opposite foot for wing backs ?

A lot of red&yellow cards, every 2 game red card

Going to try this one, any ppms? Also who's your top scorer and what about champions league results?

A PPM to try through balls more often for the DLP-D would help the fast counter-attacking transition to our pacier players up top. A forward that likes to drop deep and move into channels wouldn't be a bad thing either to help with possession and bringing the BBM and APA into play

We got lucky in the quarters away to Liverpool winning on away goals, won in the semi's against Hoffenheim easily and beat Man United 1-0 in the final, controlling the game with no CCCs.

Messi top scored getting 40 in 50, with our BBM Rakitic notching 20.

Last edited:
And as I understood OI is set by assistant manager+show onto opposite foot for wing backs ?

Yes, both in the DR/DL and WBR/WBL positions. They may be inverted and prefer the other foot, just make sure you direct them into the middle of the pitch.

A lot of red&yellow cards, every 2 game red card

I did get a lot of yellows in my save second highest in the league, but just a couple of reds. I guess pressing high up and counter-pressing aggressively whilst playing a very high line is always going to promote a greater risk of poor discipline. We all know of Pep's many clever blatant fouls high up the pitch. Perhaps the game should tone down the bookings :D

When down to 10 men I would then revert to playing two centre-mids (DLP-D / BBM) removing the high pressing instruction in the DM strata.

Hi are there any player instructions? I’m on iPad thanks

Mate can you share more detailed photos of your season ? Top goalscorers, top assister, champions league matches and etc. I quit didn't get about OI thought, can you explain it more? I set oi by assistant manager also in position tab near tactics section I set opposite foot for wb-dr-dl positions, am I doing it right ?

Hi are there any player instructions? I’m on iPad thanks

Hi, does the Ipad not bring across player settings within the tactic? Is the file not compatible with it?

Mate can you share more detailed photos of your season ? Top goalscorers, top assister, champions league matches and etc. I quit didn't get about OI thought, can you explain it more? I set oi by assistant manager also in position tab near tactics section I set opposite foot for wb-dr-dl positions, am I doing it right ?

I'll get a few more in due course. Well a right back may not necessarily be right footed. Show the foot based solely from the player position. So a right back position, show the left foot and a left back position, show the right.

Tactic Updated

Just to note this tactic has been updated to version 2.

I spotted the corner set pieces had the IF-A's taking short corners from the wrong side - it was a template taken from a system using wingers on their natural side.

The idea is the receiver should be able to deliver an inswinging ball into the box as those deliveries are more dangerous. They'll also maintain their positions on the pitch better with this particular system.

Hi, does the Ipad not bring across player settings within the tactic? Is the file not compatible with it?

I can’t download tactics to my iPad mate I’ve got to input t manually

I can’t download tactics to my iPad mate I’ve got to input t manually

Okay, can't say I know how that format works but I've made screenies for the main positions in the system below. Hope this is what you're after.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

I also tried a run with Liverpool investing in Verratti for the APA slot....I think we had quite a fortunate season actually with both cup finals being behind in but substitutions making a comeback in both! We were also down to City and then went down to 10 men before we ended up winning the game somehow! We also seemed to be good defensively, but wasn't scoring as freely as in La Liga. Probably due to how the teams setup in the prem.

I guess this is where set-pieces could really make a difference. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve them then do let me know! Just as long as no exploitation is in use please and falls within a short style as it's how I want the tactic to play.

I also have as requested previously a squad screen that should show the goal distributions and average ratings. I think in this season the distribution is as you would expect. Fabinho was my penalty taker this year.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm currently giving this a go in the Championship with Leeds, just going through pre season at the moment and so far so good. Just one question, when you're playing away to a tough opponent is there anything you change?

I'm currently giving this a go in the Championship with Leeds, just going through pre season at the moment and so far so good. Just one question, when you're playing away to a tough opponent is there anything you change?

It could be more prudent to, but I always design to plug n play and make sure the players are capable and suit the system. The design on this is for the attacking mentality.

If you want to play defensive you'd need to change a lot of the things, but playing a more controlled based game with how it's setup now under positive mentality is something you could try. That way you'll be more defensive by having more possession but you'll need good technical players to pull it off.

Tactic Update - 2.1 / Crosses

Tweak to the choice of crosses. These have now been changed to "mixed" as this appears to work better, surprisingly quite considerably and resulted in a 6-0 drubbing of Real Madrid with Barcelona. Scoring should have now improved.

I had originally been setting a 433 tactic up to implement a False 9 prior to going with a DLF-A and no counter. The crosses at this time were set to low.

However given my eventual choice of direction, style and the final roles chosen, the team is not so one dimensional, and so by having mixed crosses this should improve chance creation and conversion.

Hey mate using this tactic as Barca as well. Only problem is my front 3 doesn't score much as I'd like them to score. Lots of 1-0 wins and having trouble on some away games. My assistant is doing oi also when I start the match I add show onto opposite foot on wingers by myself into opposition instructions. Am I doing OIs the right way? Should I leave oi to assistant manager at all ?

Tactic Update - 2.1 / Crosses

Tweak to the choice of crosses. These have now been changed to "mixed" as this appears to work better, surprisingly quite considerably and resulted in a 6-0 drubbing of Real Madrid with Barcelona. Scoring should have now improved.

I had originally been setting a 433 tactic up to implement a False 9 prior to going with a DLF-A and no counter. The crosses at this time were set to low.

However given my eventual choice of direction, style and the final roles chosen, the team is not so one dimensional, and so by having mixed crosses this should improve chance creation and conversion.

you win but in Terms of shooting you are dominated ... statistics are not in your favor it's a pity

Hey mate using this tactic as Barca as well. Only problem is my front 3 doesn't score much as I'd like them to score. Lots of 1-0 wins and having trouble on some away games. My assistant is doing oi also when I start the match I add show onto opposite foot on wingers by myself into opposition instructions. Am I doing OIs the right way? Should I leave oi to assistant manager at all ?

Hi mate. There should be a "positions" tabs on the OI screen. That's where you'd select the feet...and that stays by default once changed for every match. Then just let the assistant handle the rest.

I'd like to score more with the system as well. But the ME will not allow so many goals with a slower tempo and shorter game and it is more favourable for teams that park the bus and hit on the counter. It's also very geared towards a 442 this year. Goalscoring is easier to come by with a higher tempo too.

I'll always create something based on what I want to see on the pitch...but if you want to be a little more potent going forward you could try moving the passing up one notch along with the tempo to just be shorter and lower. Let me know how that goes if you try it :)