Godfish's Leisurely Stroll Across Europe

Godfish93

Reaction score
We've all got to start somewhere!

I'm back!

This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and having turned Lincoln into a force to be reckoned with, I think it's about time I had a crack at it. This is my journeyman career.

No rules, no restrictions on staying at clubs; this is just going to be me enjoying the simple life on Football Manager.

Speaking of the manager, lets meet myself.

View attachment 148175

View attachment 148173

On first glance, it would appear I had no idea what I was doing. Well, you'd be correct. No badges, no reputation; ****, this isn't even my first sport! Still, I'm pretty fond of silverware, so I'm going to try get as many trophies across Europe as I can.

Of course, there is the slight problem that I don't currently have a club...

The first task I had was getting myself a job. With openings available both here and on the continent, I was confident. And then the rejections came. First was Bromley, then VW Hasse soon followed suit.

However, all was not lost, as Rupel Boom were desperate enough to hire me.

View attachment 148140

I'm off to Belgium. I really hope they have some of the good chocolate ready for me.

So the obvious question is this: who the **** are Rupel Boom?

Well, I had as much idea as you. A quick google revealed more though. Or at least, it revealed that this is the club responsible for the Lukaku's. No pressure then, ey?

Here's the details according to FM:

View attachment 147862

Not massively great, but certainly space to make my name as the wandering master of Europe. The club is expecting me to reach mid table this year, but I'd be disappointed with just that. The quirky nature of the Belgian leagues means that I have a good chance of a playoff spot, so that's my personal goal for the year.

These are the guys that are going to help me achieve that.

View attachment 147861

Much like the club; not amazing, but not disappointing either. I've already made one addition, adding defensive midfielder Kamara to give me another option. But with some young players, and some standout ones in Vets and Mathyssen, I have a chance of success. I'll need it though, those two are good enough for higher leagues, and I doubt they'll be hanging around.

With the season less than a month away, I've got to hit the ground running. A slow start could cost me dearly, both in the current situation and my future prospects.

Looking forward to reading this, loved the Lincoln story and interested to see where this leads

That's only the first season though, the relegation thingy. We (Belgium) are changing our whole system for next season in order to only have 24 professional teams (16 in first division and 8 in 2nd division) so even if you get promoted, you'll stay in the same division.
I just checked my own game (I always load full leagues in Belgium, chauvinistic ******* me :D) and the nr 1 from 3rd division A and B play each other in a Champions playoff, the winner doesnt really get anything though.. They are both still in 3rd division (the A and B disappear, thats why a lot of teams get relegated).
Good luck anyways :D

EDIT: Here are some screens:

6599beee89885f3fb22ea1995120f660.png

be4c6df0cb660eaeb28cb78ec5557f82.png

Last edited:
That's only the first season though, the relegation thingy. We (Belgium) are changing our whole system for next season in order to only have 24 professional teams (16 in first division and 8 in 2nd division) so even if you get promoted, you'll stay in the same division.
I just checked my own game (I always load full leagues in Belgium, chauvinistic ******* me :D) and the nr 1 from 3rd division A and B play each other in a Champions playoff, the winner doesnt really get anything though.. They are both still in 3rd division (the A and B disappear, thats why a lot of teams get relegated).
Good luck anyways :D

EDIT: Here are some screens:

6599beee89885f3fb22ea1995120f660.png

be4c6df0cb660eaeb28cb78ec5557f82.png

Thanks for explaining that for me, much appreciated!

Safe in the knowledge that I won't be getting promotion this season, I attacked this season head on, with the sole aim being to increase my standing within the game. It also gave me the perfect platform to create a tactic suitable for lower league football; something that I was consciously aware I'd be dealing with for a few seasons.

Not having the budget to bring in players helped as well, with Camara remaining my only signing to date. I could focus on training the players I already had without too much disruption.

So with that in mind, this is what happened in my first three months in Belgium...

View attachment 146860

Yeah, I didn't see that coming either.

The cup games were great for getting my tactic match ready, and I can feel rightly aggrieved that Patro Eisden knocked us out, as we were comfortably better. It didn't impact on our league form though, and some impressive displays sees us flying high near the top. We are conceding too many for my liking, but some outstanding link up play between Denys and Mathyssen up top has yielded a strong partnership, and plenty of goals.

View attachment 146859

Death By Possession

View attachment 146861

We get a lot of purchase out of just sitting on the ball, and passing it around. LVG, eat your heart out.

Away from the pitch, one of the directors failed in a takeover bid for the club. It'll be one for me to watch out for over the next few months. Meanwhile, I was nearly on the move, but Lausanne baulked at the idea of paying compensation for me. Their loss.

It was all going so well..

Last time, Rupel Boom were in good form, dominating possession and just generally being great. Apparently they either got complacent or realised they weren't actually that great in the period since. My lack of natural striker has finally been found out, and injuries to key players set me and the team back somewhat. So, with 6 games left, what does our form look like?

View attachment 146645

Frustratingly bad really. Squad revolts, injuries and poor defending has all played a part. The lack of a killer striker has cost us, as some of those marginal results could have been changed with a good finisher. Unfortunately, I do not have the budget to deal with that.

Away from the pitch, I had a quick trip home to England, where I had an interview with Accrington Stanley. Not much came from it though, and I was soon on the plane back to Belgium.

I've also had two failed takeovers to deal with now, and the speculation around the club does sit a little uneasily with me, especially given I'll need some money for next season. On the other hand, we have tied some key players to longer term deals, so should I still be here next season, I have something to work with.

Lastly, we check the league table. We aren't in the relegation zone yet, but I'd rather we starting pushing away from there all the same. The last thing I want is to go down in my first season.

View attachment 146644

Sacked because you didn't finish in the top 6 and therefore got relegated? Crazy!

Ah, unlucky man. Well if you manage in Belgium again it'll be easier, understandable if you won't though!
And FM makes it like that, if you get relegated from the most bottom division in that country, you get fired. Kinda stupid in this situation though :(

Bit harsh to sack you because of a change in the league structure! I had a thoroughly enjoyable save a few years ago managing in different countries around Europe, creating some brilliant sides and some not so brilliant ones! Which countries do you have loaded up at the moment?

Bit harsh to sack you because of a change in the league structure! I had a thoroughly enjoyable save a few years ago managing in different countries around Europe, creating some brilliant sides and some not so brilliant ones! Which countries do you have loaded up at the moment?

Ah, unlucky man. Well if you manage in Belgium again it'll be easier, understandable if you won't though!
And FM makes it like that, if you get relegated from the most bottom division in that country, you get fired. Kinda stupid in this situation though :(

Sacked because you didn't finish in the top 6 and therefore got relegated? Crazy!

It's a pretty ridiculous situation really, but I'll work from it. I'd been keeping an eye on the job market either way so I have a few ideas lined up. I'd prefer to avoid England for now if possible, but it'll depend on the situation.

As to the question of nations, I have: England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Croatia, Switzerland.