Gonzo11

Reaction score
Gonzo11's The Godfather Classic 4-4-2: Treble with Stoke

Edit: 1000 downloads, Thanks everyone so much. I have made a new underdog tactic found here

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-tactics-training/124053-gonzo11s-defensive-diva-13-3-3-a.html

Hey guys
Let me first give you a little introduction of myself. My real name is Gunner but since i was little i have been called Gonzo. I have played Fm since i was 10 years old. The very first tactic that i made was a 4-4-2 formation. I am a big Liverpool fan and my lucky number is eleven. Since i first started to watch and play football it has turned in to a passion for me. I have never started my own thread but i made a tweak tactic on the Arrigo Sacchi's Tweak thread.
Tactic
View attachment 340820
It is a classic 4-4-2 with a attacking mentality and Quick tempo. The defence is very solid. Also the striker make a lot of assists for each other. My strikers scored 54 goals and made 34 assists in the league. My midfielders are instructed mixed passing and holding up the ball so they pass forward to create a attacking danger. My strikers both score goals and create goals. The left striker scored a bit more for me on the Dortmund save and the right striker scored more on the Stoke save. The midfielders help a bit to protect the back four. I play with a narrow width so the ball often end up to the midfielders that can both pass to the wingers or to the strikers.

Roles

As this is a classic tactic there are no roles to pick only player instructions. So let me demonstrate on how they work and play so you can be aware of that.

Goalkeeper- He is just a basic keeper. He plays risk free football and takes no chances. No sweeper keeper here.

Defenders- They play as well as the goalkeeper a very safe football. They still make passes to maintain possession and not lose it. As i play with high defensive line they need to be quick.

Full Backs- They are more of supporting kind of Full Backs. I have instructed them to make forwards (run from deep) often so that they can help out the wingers.

Midfielders- They are the playmakers of the team. They are the creators of the attacking threat that this tactic offers. They are the vision of your team. They will control the ball and pass it further up the pitch.

Wingers- They are very hardworking wingers. They will both make through balls and cross the ball. I have instructed them to make more through balls so that they pass into space and the striker will receive the ball and they make almost every time a clear cut chance for the strikers.

Strikers- They are Target Man types. They will receive the ball and both score and create goals for each other. They will lead the line and have the freedom to move from there position to receive a through ball.

Player Attributes

Goalkeeper- Reflexes,One On Ones, Command Of Area and Communication.

Defenders- Marking, Tackling, Positioning, Anticipation, Bravery and Strength.

Full Backs- Acceleration, Pace, Passing, Crossing and Marking.

Midfielders- Passing, Composure, Concentration, Anticipation and Creativity.

Wingers- Pace, Crossing, Dribbling, First Touch, First Touch and Technique.

Strikers- Finishing, Strength, Off The Ball, Technique,First Touch,Teamwork and Work Rate.

Training
I used Team Cohesion-Very High-50%-Tactics only and no rest before and after games until my tactic was fluid then i used this training though the season

I have tested this tactic with Dortmund and Stoke. I won the Bundesliga on my first season using it. I won all my home games in the league this season. I made no transfers. And i was knocked out of the champions league in the semi finals by Manchester City 2-0 on aggregate. City won the Champions League.
View attachment 340793View attachment 340794View attachment 340795View attachment 340796View attachment 340797View attachment 340798View attachment 340799View attachment 340800View attachment 340801

With Stoke I won the treble on the first season. My strikers scored 46 goals in the league. I did not make any transfers.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
I hope that this tactic will work for you and please post feedback. It helps me a lot. Thank you.

Kind Regards
Gonzo11

Last edited:
Good luck with your tactic Gonzo11...I know alot of people enjoyed your Sacchi tweak so I hope this one is just as good?

Where do you rate it against that?

Good luck with your tactic Gonzo11...I know alot of people enjoyed your Sacchi tweak so I hope this one is just as good?

Where do you rate it against that?

Hey Ruudvanwarren, I find this tactic better then my Sacchi's tweak. Sure that gave me a lot of success but it was only outstanding for top teams. I am as i said in the thread testing it with stoke and it has been wonderful for me. I won chelsea 6-0 :D.

I am sure I used a tactic a few years back that was very good by someone called gonzo? Was created using Liverpool if I remember right. Anyway will give this a go as I like classic 4-4-2s and I am getting bored with my own tactics, they work well but my strikers hardly ever score which is pretty boring.

Gonna use West Brom as they have a pretty strong side for a mid table prem side and 2 good strikers who should fit this tactic well. Wish me luck!

I am sure I used a tactic a few years back that was very good by someone called gonzo? Was created using Liverpool if I remember right. Anyway will give this a go as I like classic 4-4-2s and I am getting bored with my own tactics, they work well but my strikers hardly ever score which is pretty boring.

Gonna use West Brom as they have a pretty strong side for a mid table prem side and 2 good strikers who should fit this tactic well. Wish me luck!
Really, another gonzo. While using this tactic my strikers scored tons, more then half of my goals. I wish you luck and while i was writing this by game crash when i was winning Man Utd 4-1, FML.

You have Crouch on the Right and Jerome on the left any reason for that...tall right, fast left, etc??

You have Crouch on the Right and Jerome on the left any reason for that...tall right, fast left, etc??
No actually most of the times i play Walters on the left and Crouch on the right. Jerome has only played 6 games for me and scored nothing. Walters on the other hand has scored 12 goals for me in 17 games. I am currently 2nd in the league.

Really, another gonzo. While using this tactic my strikers scored tons, more then half of my goals. I wish you luck and while i was writing this by game crash when i was winning Man Utd 4-1, FML.

I might be wrong but for some reason I remember the name Gonzo from somewhere connected with FM, about 2-3 years ago. You wasn't a moderator on Football Manager Live by any chance was you?

Anyway, super huge database loaded and loads of bids in for cheap Norwegians for my bench :D

I might be wrong but for some reason I remember the name Gonzo from somewhere connected with FM, about 2-3 years ago. You wasn't a moderator on Football Manager Live by any chance was you?

Anyway, super huge database loaded and loads of bids in for cheap Norwegians for my bench :D

No i was not the moderator of Football Manager Live. In fact i have no idea what Football Manager Live even is. Hopefully you will get as good result with West Brom as i am getting with Stoke. :D

Didn't work with WBA I am afraid, after 13 games and playing the likes of Wigan, QPR, Southampton, Stoke and Swansea at home and beating none of them, I sit 11th on 15 points, 29 points away from the top spot. Usually finish top 6 with WBA first season and once managed 2nd place using the Sachi tactic.

Didn't work with WBA I am afraid, after 13 games and playing the likes of Wigan, QPR, Southampton, Stoke and Swansea at home and beating none of them, I sit 11th on 15 points, 29 points away from the top spot. Usually finish top 6 with WBA first season and once managed 2nd place using the Sachi tactic.
I am sorry about that mate. Honestly i don't get it why you are having so little success. I am currently top of the league when 10 games are left.

Just updated the thread. I won the treble on my first season with Stoke. Screenshots are at the opening post :)

Just updated the thread. I won the treble on my first season with Stoke. Screenshots are at the opening post :)

Giving this another chance with Derby in the championship, so far played 4 won 4 and Libor Kozak has 6 goals in first 4 games.

If you include friendlies and cup games 12 played 12 wins.

Giving this another chance with Derby in the championship, so far played 4 won 4 and Libor Kozak has 6 goals in first 4 games.

If you include friendlies and cup games 12 played 12 wins.
That is great news mate. Hopefully this tactic will work for you this time ;)

****** ****, winning the league with Stoke in the first season, with no transfers, is brilliant. Funny how you conceded less with a poor Stoke team than you did with Dortmund though!

****** ****, winning the league with Stoke in the first season, with no transfers, is brilliant. Funny how you conceded less with a poor Stoke team than you did with Dortmund though!
Haha true. When i tested it with Dortmund i did not have the same corner routine. I really found that to have a defensive effect.
Also in my save Subotic and Hummels were both injured for about 2-3 months so i had to use Santana and a DL or a DR defence paring. Most of the time when i had Subotic and Hummels in the defence i conceded very few goals. :)