Jamiewatson93

Reaction score
Hi guys

im looking for a new laptop specifically for FM15 as my current laptop is far too slow. Im looking to have a good 6-8 countries loaded and I'm also looking to run the 3D match engine.

is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Here is information on a laptop i have my eye on. Will this run FM15 well?

CPU, Memory and Operating System:
Intel Celeron N2830 dual core processor.
2.16GHz processor speed.
4GB RAM.
1000GB SATA hard drive.
Microsoft Windows 8.

Display features:
15.6 inch screen.
High definition display.
Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:
DVD+RW/DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:
Intel HD Graphics.
Shared graphics card.

Thanks

You'll struggle to get good 3D ME performance on a Intel HD Graphics Cipset.
Is the RAM DDR3 or DDR2?

4GB of DDR3 is a decent amount for what you want but FM is a CPU intensive game so
what you get our of the Laptop is pretty much proportional to what you put in.

Dont go anywhere near that laptop. Go for something with at least 8gb ram and a better cpu.

Dont go anywhere near that laptop. Go for something with at least 8gb ram and a better cpu.

4 GB of DDR3 RAM has surprisingly good Performance. Since most Laptops have only 2 DIMM slots, asking him to invest in two sticks of 4GB RAM is quite costly. 4GB is enough is he's concerned about cost.

8GB Ram is overkill... I played with a large database with at least 8 countries loaded on 4GB on my old PC... never had a single issue and only 1GB of memory was even used by FM. (I always had at least 2GB free)...

I do now have 16GB (gaming pc, GTX 680... etc) and even that is overkill, I regret wasting my money on it :p

I would probably recommend 6GB for the best performance with a graphics card such as a GTX 750/760 (will give you good 3d ME performance on high) with a decent CPU (top line i3 or above... **** a AMD FX-6350 will do just fine)

8GB Ram is overkill... I played with a large database with at least 8 countries loaded on 4GB on my old PC... never had a single issue and only 1GB of memory was even used by FM. (I always had at least 2GB free)...

I do now have 16GB (gaming pc, GTX 680... etc) and even that is overkill, I regret wasting my money on it :p

I would probably recommend 6GB for the best performance with a graphics card such as a GTX 750/760 (will give you good 3d ME performance on high) with a decent CPU (top line i3 or above... **** a AMD FX-6350 will do just fine)

Thank you mate. Do you reckon the 4GB will run it relatively quickly though ( FM is the only thing I'll really be using it for ) ? i don't know much about the graphics but the 3D engine isn't a massive concern. It would just be nice to have it.

Thank you mate. Do you reckon the 4GB will run it relatively quickly though ( FM is the only thing I'll really be using it for ) ? i don't know much about the graphics but the 3D engine isn't a massive concern. It would just be nice to have it.
Any Intel HD card (well.. it's not a card :p but integrated) could run 3D smoothly on the lowest setting... honestly with 4GB you could have an enjoyable playing experience, on FM14 it never used more than 1GB for me. (if I remember correctly)

My only concern regarding that laptop would be the CPU; though it should run with that cpu it's not going to be enjoyable, any i3 would do to be honest, Intel Celerons are for low power consumption over performance, i3s aren't top of the line but my old laptop had an i3 530 (like 5 years old now) and it ran FM14 comfortably. I have never had a Celeron but I doubt it could run FM smoothly. I would invest in a laptop with at least 4GB Ram and an i3 or better. (they aren't that expensive anymore, i3s are pretty well rounded)

Any Intel HD card (well.. it's not a card :p but integrated) could run 3D smoothly on the lowest setting... honestly with 4GB you could have an enjoyable playing experience, on FM14 it never used more than 1GB for me. (if I remember correctly)

My only concern regarding that laptop would be the CPU; though it should run with that cpu it's not going to be enjoyable, any i3 would do to be honest, Intel Celerons are for low power consumption over performance, i3s aren't top of the line but my old laptop had an i3 530 (like 5 years old now) and it ran FM14 comfortably. I have never had a Celeron but I doubt it could run FM smoothly. I would invest in a laptop with at least 4GB Ram and an i3 or better. (they aren't that expensive anymore, i3s are pretty well rounded)

Ok, i found one with this info...

CPU, Memory and Operating System:
Intel Core i3 i3-4005U dual core processor.
1.7GHz processor speed.
4GB RAM.
1000GB SATA hard drive.
Microsoft Windows 8.

I3 processor but the processor speed has dropped compared to the last one, does this make a difference? Its also £100 more expensive but you reckon its worth it?

as you can probably tell my knowledge on laptops is very low!

i3 for gaming is like using a vauxhall corsa in a formula one race. if you want a better price go fr an amd fx-6350 minimum r go for an i5, avoid an i7 because gaming wise, an i7 is overkill and doesn't give much of a boost over an i5 nd cost a heck of a lot extra.

i3 for gaming is like using a vauxhall corsa in a formula one race. if you want a better price go fr an amd fx-6350 minimum r go for an i5, avoid an i7 because gaming wise, an i7 is overkill and doesn't give much of a boost over an i5 nd cost a heck of a lot extra.
An i3 would be fine for Football Manager in my opinion; not many vendors even sell laptops with AMD chipsets.

That would be better than the former btw.

you need much much much better laptop that the one you looking at...
i have dual i5 2,6ghz , ge force 740, 4gb ram and on fm 14 is only 2,5 out of 5 star at 3D graphics...

Last edited:

Trying to get someone else to go completely over the top so you don't feel as bad? ;) A GTX 750/760 is overkill if the only game you're playing is FM.

To the OP, post your budget. It'll be much easier to recommend a laptop then.

Trying to get someone else to go completely over the top so you don't feel as bad? ;) A GTX 750/760 is overkill if the only game you're playing is FM.

Thanks for getting back to me. My budget is £300 but I'd stretch to £350 if necessary.

Anything you could recommend?

Seeing as neither card is that expensive why would I try to make him feel as bad... I've never used neither card but seeing as they have the same artitecture as the GTX 600 series (Kepler) they are basically the same cards. (700 series obviously updated)... I recommended him to look for a decent laptop with a GTX 750/60 because the GTX 680 sometimes struggles on high. (probably a drivers issue... mehh)

FYI; I don't feel bad for wasting my money... it's fairly future proof, I just wish I never got it a month before the 700 series was unveiled :p

you need much much much better laptop that the one you looking at...
i have dual i5 2,6ghz , ge force 740, 4gb ram and on fm 14 is only 2,5 out of 5 star at 3D graphics...

that's due to your graphics card (major bottleneck seeing as its paired with an i5) but it is only a guide and you can likely still put your 3d graphics onto high without issues.

I've seen FM14 run fairly well on a friends low end PC - AMD A6 with a GTX 650ti.

OP if all you're playing is FM then that i3 laptop you posted will be perfectly fine.

And 4gb of ram is enough for any game.. Christ, ArmA 3 and DayZ list only 4GB ram under their recommended setups.

for anyone unsure, here are the minimum specs for FM15 taken directly from steam

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core, AMD Athlon - XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel GMA X3100 - 128MB VRAM
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

My Advice, go to your local University and find a Computer Science student. Tell him the specifications of the game and asking them what you need.
You never know, you may make a new friend as well so win/win! :p

My Advice, go to your local University and find a Computer Science student. Tell him the specifications of the game and asking them what you need.
You never know, you may make a new friend as well so win/win! :p

Especially if he likes FM ;)

hi lads can u help me
my laptop processer is only 1.3ghz not great, i check on a website to see if my laptop can run football manager 2015 its says it dont reach minimum requirements but also said that when i checked 2014 but i could play 2014 on my laptop wasent the fastest bout 8hrs for a season do you think it will be roughly the same or process season even longer on 2015????? desperate to play

hi lads can u help me
my laptop processer is only 1.3ghz not great, i check on a website to see if my laptop can run football manager 2015 its says it dont reach minimum requirements but also said that when i checked 2014 but i could play 2014 on my laptop wasent the fastest bout 8hrs for a season do you think it will be roughly the same or process season even longer on 2015????? desperate to play

Download the demo and see how you get on