Greece v Argentina, BBC 1, 1930 GMT

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score

200px-2010_FIFA_World_Cup_logo.svg.png

110px-Greece_National_Crest.png
100px-Argentine_Football_Association.svg.png

Thread for the Greece v Argentina game, shown on BBC 1 at 1930 GMT. Give your predictions, thoughts and discussion here.

TEAM NEWS
Argentina playmaker Juan Veron is available after recovering from a calf problem, while defender Walter Samuel may not be risked despite overcoming a thigh strain.

Newcastle's Jonas Gutierrez is suspended so Nicolas Otamendi could deputise at right-back. Back-up strikers Diego Milito and Sergio Aguero may also feature.

Greece are likely to stick with the side that beat Nigeria in their last game, with Dimitrios Salpingidis partnering Theofanis Gekas up front.

One booking from suspension: Papastathopoulos, Samaras, Torosidis, Tziolis (Greece); Mascherano, Heinze (Argentina)

HEAD-TO-HEAD

The only previous meeting between these sides was at USA '94, when Argentina won 4-0 in a group match. Diego Maradona scored his 34th and final international goal, famously running towards the television cameras after scoring.

Referee: Ravshan Irmatov (Uzbekistan)
Assistants: Rafael Ilyasov (Uzbekistan) and Bakhadyr Kochkarov (Kyrgyzstan)
Fourth official: Peter O'Leary (New Zealand)

I predict a 2-0 win to Argentina, Greece have came out of their shell slightly, but Argentina have been the best team so far at the World Cup.

Last edited:
I thought it was at 19.30pm..

I hope Messi is rested because everyone has him in fantasy league :p

Come on Greece!

BST is British Summertime, so it is basically GMT mate.

Yep, realised once I posted and deleted it. :$

Suppose I should make a prediction, I'll go for 4-0 Argentina but I hope Greece can make it a close game.

Last edited:
Greece 0 - 4 Argentina

Higuain x2, Messi, Di Maria

Greece 0 - 4 Argentina

Higuain x2, Messi, Di Maria

I hope this doesn't happen, or I am ****** in the FF.

8-0 Argentina.

Messi x 6, Otamdendi and Veron

To be honest the result of this game might be a surprise... Greece has to win... But we all know Argentina is Argentina...

Argentina. 2-0. Milito and Messi

The guy man marking Messi needs to just stop, he's ruining the game.

The guy man marking Messi needs to just stop, he's ruining the game.

What a silly thing to say. Socrates Papastathopoulos is man marking him :wub: awesome on FM.

What a silly thing to say. Socrates Papastathopoulos is man marking him :wub: awesome on FM.

Not really considering Messi is on my Fantasy Team so I want him to score or assist.
He's following him around everywhere, just really annoying.

Not really considering Messi is on my Fantasy Team so I want him to score or assist.
He's following him around everywhere, just really annoying.

Fair enough you want him to get points, but Greece need a win, you propose they leave Messi to run around?

oO)

Fair enough you want him to get points, but Greece need a win, you propose they leave Messi to run around?

oO)

If they need to win, then why are they playing just to stop the Argentina players?
There's no adventure whatsoever and are playing not to lose the match at most.

There's a point at which you can hold your hands up and say fair play they have defended brilliantly, for instance - the N.Korea v Brazil for the majority of the game. But Greece are showing nothing going forward and if anything they are just playing 'anti football'.

Edit: Just look at the subs made by Greece now.

If they need to win, then why are they playing just to stop the Argentina players?

There's a point at which you can hold your hands up and say fair play they have defended brilliantly, for instance - the N.Korea v Brazil for the majority of the game. But Greece are showing nothing going forward and if anything they are just playing 'anti football'.

Well to be honest if i had someone in the quality of messi, the best player in the world against me, id probably send someone to man mark him aswell oO)

They don't technically need to win a draw would be enough if Korea - Nigeria is a draw or Nigeria win.

I'm not watching the game but I'm guessing Greece are defending to avoid defeat as they know that if they try and attack Argentina then they will more than likely get battered a la South Korea.

Sensible football from Greece, not "anti-football"

@Dave, No, even if Korea do draw they have a better goal difference than Greece.

There is no urgency at all from the Greeks. The thing is they have to attack if they want to go through but they are just defending with every man behind the ball.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

Well what do you know, serves them right for being so negative.

1-0 Argentina