Hallucinations and realisations - the story of a maverick

TheFalse9

Reaction score
Prologue
26th November 2011

The ball glided through the cold, winter air, with the elegance of a swan. It stayed airborne for what seemed to be a lifetime, drifting along the skyline until it landed, with a gentle thump, just outside of the penalty area on the pristine turf. The home team's striker controlled the ball crudely, with a combination of his shin and his knee, before holding off the defender, swivelling and shooting at goal. The ball flew through the air like a rocket, accelerating on its way to the stands, where it bounced harmlessly off a vacant seat and rolled down the concrete steps back towards the pitch. "For God's sake," growled his manager, from the home dugout, "not again!"

The home team were struggling to break the deadlock against very stubborn opposition, despite the introduction of their marquee signing on the hour mark. The marquee signing had a similar expression etched onto his face, cursing the missed chance from the other side of the pitch to his manager. He was not used to this standard of football: he was more accustomed to playing against superior opposition, and he was also used to playing with players of a better standard, and he was getting increasingly agitated and frustrated as the game wore on. It was blatant to all that he was the best player on the pitch, but he was visibly rusty, having seldom played competitively in the last few months: partly down to the gradual decline of his footballing skills; partly down to bad luck in the form of injuries. But this game was going to change all that, he was sure of it. It was his debut for the sixth club in the last two years, but it was the only game in the last couple of years in which he had felt good, the only game where he had not felt a tight muscle or was carrying a slight knock. Sure, he felt a bit of fatigue, but that was only natural for a player of his age, and for a player who had not played a full game in the last few months. For the first time in years, he felt alive again, and feeling nostalgic, he reminisced about that time, all those years ago, when he was a promising 21-year-old England-international fighting for a first-team place at Aston Villa, the club he had supported since he was a boy...

Last edited:
All rise to welcome the Lord of football :D

Sounds emotional and captivating although I'd recommend structuring a layout in the same mould to pass on the same feeling visually. Sadly too many people are scared away from large text blocks, mate!

Nice start mate, I've written several stories of similar mould in the past. Looking forward to see where you go with this - and it's nice to see a story written a little differently. Good luck!

Sounds emotional and captivating although I'd recommend structuring a layout in the same mould to pass on the same feeling visually. Sadly too many people are scared away from large text blocks, mate!

Nice start mate, I've written several stories of similar mould in the past. Looking forward to see where you go with this - and it's nice to see a story written a little differently. Good luck!

Cheers guys - I'll be sure to take your comments on board!

Looking forward to the next post mate, agree with both KevinHann and ZeCarlos, but if continued with the same passion and style this could be one of the best. :)

Looking forward to the next post mate, agree with both KevinHann and ZeCarlos, but if continued with the same passion and style this could be one of the best. :)
Cheers mate, I'll try and get another update up tomorrow afternoon/evening (I've been busy today)!

Chapter 1
2nd April 2012

With a forehead glistened with sweat, he felt palpitations as he struggled to recall what had happened the previous night. "Oh brilliant" he groaned, leaning over the toilet bowl and retching repeatedly as he tried, and failed, to empty his bowels of what he had consumed just hours earlier. Eventually, after a good ten minutes, he succeeded, a long stream of vomit arched into the toilet, the sound of puke splattering water resonateding in his ears. It was ****, sure, it always was after a night-out, but this, this was worse. Much worse. He could not remember what events had taken place the previous night, but he was sure that would all come back to him throughout the day - that was not the big problem. The big problem was that he had a match that afternoon, one which his manager, angered by his previous misadventures, which had meant he was thrice late for training that week, had warned him to turn up to, on-time.

He glanced anxiously at his watch. 11:43. "****" he slapped his head, angry with himself. The match would be starting in less than two hours, and he was obviously in no state to play. His brain was desperately scrambling, trying and trying to grasp a good idea of what to do, or an excuse to tell his manager, but it felt like hopeless, with his brain still throbbing from the alcohol. He hauled himself awkwardly off the floor and staggered into his bedroom, feeling lousier and lousier by the second. He had barely taken three steps into the bedroom when he noticed something which made his eyes widen with shock, and his body tremble with fear. Suddenly, as he guiltily remembered what he had done the previous night, the phone began to ring...

Last edited:
Chapter 1
2nd April 2012

With a forehead glistened with sweat, he felt palpitations as he struggled to recall what had happened the previous night. "Oh brilliant" he groaned, leaning over the toilet bowl and retching repeatedly as he tried, and failed, to empty his bowels of what he had consumed just hours earlier. Eventually, after a good ten minutes, he succeeded, a long stream of vomit arched into the toilet, the sound of puke splattering water resonateding in his ears. It was ****, sure, it always was after a night-out, but this, this was worse. Much worse. He could not remember what events had taken place the previous night, but he was sure that would all come back to him throughout the day - that was not the big problem. The big problem was that he had a match that afternoon, one which his manager, angered by his previous misadventures, which had meant he was thrice late for training that week, had warned him to turn up to, on-time.

He glanced anxiously at his watch. 11:43. "****" he slapped his head, angry with himself. The match would be starting in less than two hours, and he was obviously in no state to play. His brain was desperately scrambling, trying and trying to grasp a good idea of what to do, or an excuse to tell his manager, but it felt like hopeless, with his brain still throbbing from the alcohol. He hauled himself awkwardly off the floor and staggered into his bedroom, feeling lousier and lousier by the second. He had barely taken three steps into the bedroom when he noticed something which made his eyes widen with shock, and his body tremble with fear. Suddenly, as he guiltily remembered what he had done the previous night, the phone began to ring...

I really hope you are not a doctor, You are sick from your stomach and ****/**** from your bowel.
That being said, good start

Could do with at least the odd picture? Interested to see if you stick with this.

i demand more and wont take no for an answer..
Haha, cheers buddy, I'll be sure to update this again soon.

I really hope you are not a doctor, You are sick from your stomach and ****/**** from your bowel.
That being said, good start
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up, I don't know why I thought that bowel was a synonym for stomach!

Could do with at least the odd picture? Interested to see if you stick with this.
It's not really a picture type-of-story, though.

It's not really a picture type-of-story, though.[/QUOTE]
Not even a pic of a toilet?

Sorry for the lack of updates, guys, I've been very busy this week! One will be up tonight or tomorrow, you can be sure of that!

Chapter 2
3rd January 2013

He held the rope in his trembling hands while tears flowed down his face - he could taste the salty-like aroma of tears on his lips. He had been struggling with this problem for a while now, and he had thought about it a lot, eventually drawing the conclusion that it had to be done. He had calmly prepared what he needed - heck, he had even written a note, but when it came to actually doing it, he just could not bring himself to do it. So there he sat, reminiscing about his life and feeling a strong sense of nostalgia.

He also thought about deeper ideas, about morals; about the meaning of life; about himself as a person. Should he do it? Was that his fate? He remembered when he was 16, when he had just joined Villa, he had been tipped for stardom by his coaches. "You'll play for England once day, Lee, that'll be your fate" they had said to him, smiling proudly. They had been right, of course, but they would not have envisaged what would happen after that. He had 'made it', but that did not matter to him anymore. "I...hate...myself!" he screamed, thumping his head on the table with every syllable, suddenly no longer immersed in his thoughts and recollections. "Why did I have to do what I did, why was I so stupid!?"

Eventually, after much contemplation, he threw the rope away with a sigh, his eyes still brimming with tears. Death was so tempting, but this was not the way he wanted to go. No, he wanted to be remembered not only as a good footballer; but also as a good man. And he still had so much to contribute to the world, to both the real world and the footballing world, even though his footballing career was practically over...

Last edited: