trevjim

Reaction score
for the past few FM's there has always been a tactic that is well renowned and very good for every stage of the game (beta,patch 1, 2 etc) even in early days there has been 1 or 2

where as this version, it seems no tactic anyone has put up is excelling in the same way, there are some very good tactics, but nothing as good as previous versions, I know its early days but it seems hard to make a good one in this version.

This isnt a bad thing as such, just sharing my thoughts

for the past few FM's there has always been a tactic that is well renowned and very good for every stage of the game (beta,patch 1, 2 etc) even in early days there has been 1 or 2

where as this version, it seems no tactic anyone has put up is excelling in the same way, there are some very good tactics, but nothing as good as previous versions, I know its early days but it seems hard to make a good one in this version.

One of the main reasons is no corner/long throw exploit. That alone buffed tactics by 30-40% on FM15.

It shows a few things and I'd rather not name them. One thing it does show, is that the AI and ME is at least a lot more capable this year.

As the previous post said, lack of corner type exploits will limit these 'genius' tactics. Quite a bit of work went into set-pieces, so it's a good sign that all the hard work has paid off.

That alone buffed tactics by 30-40% on FM15.

o.png

Miles Jacobson last year made a point of emphasizing that that "player roles" was more important than ever. To me, a tactic is what you end up with but the real magic is the specific player on the pitch and how they interact with each other; and you're job as a manager is to fine tune a system tailored to those specific players.

Miles Jacobson last year made a point of emphasizing that that "player roles" was more important than ever. To me, a tactic is what you end up with but the real magic is the specific player on the pitch and how they interact with each other; and you're job as a manager is to fine tune a system tailored to those specific players.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I recently had some issues with my 4-4-2. I found that I lacked another pivot player and over-relied on one player to put everything into motion. Just one change and I went from nearly getting sacked to 3rd in the league. Not that I'm just pressing continue, but my starting formation/tactic has given me a much better chance of winning already.

Also, getting the D-line right is very important this year. The AI is better at setting up tactics and counter attacking is an actual viable, dangerous option, so that's another reason the AI can't be underestimated. Getting the D-line spot on in matches will limit the front players' effectiveness at either dropping deep or conversely, making forward runs for through balls/early crosses.

Really liking it all this year.

I think its harder because it is actually more realistic. Its getting harder for people who like plug and play tactics. I was almost ready to give up on manager games put this has locked me back in. Much improved IMO

The trouble is the AI at the lower league level seems to be as good as is the case at the EPL level. I saw a few counter-attacks with intricate passing moves that would have put Arsenal to shame. It's great at the EPL level, the other leagues I prefer to play are awful. You dominate possession and draw 1-1 because the strikers don;t have Lewandowski skills.

I recall the Scottish player Kenny Deuchar. Useless for the most part, but one thing he did was score tons of goals in the old Scottish Second and Third division. He was a poacher and targetman, and simply found ways to get the ball in the net. There's no apparent FM equivalent, and hasn't been for a few iterations now.

Lower leagues are scrappy, but Forfar sometimes put on a show that would bring tears to the eyes of Pep Guardiola.

I'm certainly finding it more challenging than previous versions.

I get that people like it because it's more realistic, but there comes a point when it stops being a game and starts becoming a bit of a chore.

If you aren't some kind of tactical genius you are pretty much screwed. I can't even get United firing so I am concluding that I am just **** at the game and should stick to FIFA.

2-1, 1-1, 1-2, 1-1, 1-0, 1-2, 1-1, 0-1, 1-1, 2-1 are the first ten games into my current Hearts season. I won't count the one game against Villareal where I tried a completely new tactic and was 0-6 at the half, finishing like that. I dominate possession on average about 60/40, but can't find the sweet spot with consistent attack and defence. Nearly every goal against me comes from either a cross into the box, or a shot which is spilled by the keeper and pounced on by the striker while the defence just watches. I get goals from all over the place, but they're hard to come by. The pattern I notice is that I score first, but the opposition pegs me back before the half. The winner is always achieved by one of the teams late. Every game has been like this. The 1-0 for and against me saw late goals decide things.

This kind of scoreline happens at every level, and you have to think that AI teams always find a way to keep it close, even if it means rigging things so my defenders stop and watch the opposition score. No AI team ever seems to make a change that simply doesn't work. Last week I watched a Bundesliga game where one team dominated, took the lead, but got a player injured. They replaced a winger with a holding midfielder, and lost all the attacking momentum they had and the opposition deservedly got back into things.

Anyone else having the devil's own time trying to defend against crosses? It's like every team has a seeing-eye on these balls that tear my defense apart, not every so often but every game. West Ham just scored three goals against me in one game that way, coming back from 0-2 down to win 3-2. I understand that a tactic can be set to pump balls into the box, but why are Chris Smalling and Phil Jones unable to defend them? (They both have 16 Positioning, 16 Heading...)

If you aren't some kind of tactical genius you are pretty much screwed. I can't even get United firing so I am concluding that I am just **** at the game and should stick to FIFA.

Yeah, I love the SI Forums, lots of good stuff there, but they talk as if it should be 'known' and if you don't know you should ****** well learn it and get your degree by next season.

I don't think FM is a casual's game tbh, hasn't been since 11 I think.

Yeah, I love the SI Forums, lots of good stuff there, but they talk as if it should be 'known' and if you don't know you should ****** well learn it and get your degree by next season.

I don't think FM is a casual's game tbh, hasn't been since 11 I think.
It helps a lot to watch matches. You're right though, it's not really a casual game. That's more FMH (FMM) territory.

IMO this year PPM's are really vital. Player's intstruction and role is mostly about his location at the field, he tends to act according to PPM's - personally i do like it VERY much.
Now you really have to watch the game and analyze how it goes. The game is now much more realistic.

The only think i don't like - in fact IWB = WB(s)

I do appreciate the tactics in this version, they are much more realistic and mean that we cant just sit there with one tactic.

However i feel that because this has happened they should have altered the part of the game where my staff scout the opposition. I feel i should be given much more detail in the report on the opposition team. Its all very well and good knowing how many assists are from crosses and that one player runs a lot but i feel we should be getting told where the majority of the crosses occur (at the byline or deep) and how the player makes these runs (hangs on shoulder of player, cuts inside behind players, runs across front of defenders to take their attention). This should be done with specific analysis on each opposition players recent performances. I feel this gives the opportunity for the game to add a staff role of a statistical and performance analyst.
If they have improved the AI in this respect then we should have been given a bit more too i feel.
Overall though the tactics are much more realistic

its the corner exploit
Honestly even the best tactics you could create failed in some games
and you were ALWAYS saved by a ****** short corner :D

not anymore

haha you know mate, the thing is, the tactics that work that people post on this forum, wouldnt even work in real football.

its ridiculous, even trying to make a simple tactic, the players dont do what you say anything, it just random, FM is getting worst every year since 11

haha you know mate, the thing is, the tactics that work that people post on this forum, wouldnt even work in real football.

its ridiculous, even trying to make a simple tactic, the players dont do what you say anything, it just random, FM is getting worst every year since 11
Agree with the first sentence, but a simple tactic is simple and can work. It just needs some sort of coherent setup. If players aren't doing what you're instructing it's most likely that you don't know what it is you're instructing, which is FM's fault as much as yours. Players follow your instructions on FM, so if they're not doing it, it's something in your settings causing it.