Has Steam ruined your gaming experience?

• Thread starter Thread starter Celticthroughandthrough88
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 6K
C

Celticthroughandthrough88

I have been a long time player of FM, a lover of the game and look forward to the release of each new game. With FM13 I embarked upon my best ever career as Celtic, but now I can no longer play that save.

Why? Because Steam, the platform used to download FM13 has had some sort of catastrophic bug that seems to be affecting a select few. Basically when I click the steam icon it begins to download an update, but this update never completes because "Steam needs to be online to complete the update."

I have trawled through the internet to find a solution, and every solution I have tried has been a disastrous failure. The same message appears every time. I have contacted Steam numerous times, but to no avail. They reply with some pathetic impersonal message which does not address my issue in the slightest.

Now I paid good money for this game, and I was loving it. It's now been about a month without FM for me and I hate it. It got me wondering what the **** the point in Steam is. It has done nothing but cause me hassle these past few years that FM has used it.

So after that rant I would like to get to the point of my post. What is the need for steam? It has ruined my gaming experience in terms of FM, how have you found it? Also if you have any suggestions on how to fix the issue I'm having that would be great.

I really don't know what to do. I love FM and certainly want to steer clear of an illegal download, but at the moment there seems to be now way to play my game. What happened to the days when you put the disc in and installed everything straight on from there. Why was the hassle of online installation and downloading introduced, it has caused me nothing but grief. :'(:'(:'(

It was introduced to fight against the pirating scumbags and it worked. Personally had no problems whatsoever with the intro onto the Steam platform-been using Steam a few years and pretty much been problem free, and on top of that picked up some top notch games at bargain prices. And the auto updating for games has made things virtually hassle free for me. I've never been a disc fan as I'm clumsy, and just paying and downloading has been a godsend for me as can now have permanent copy of my games stored online, so if anything happened to my desktop i'd simply have to redownload from the library

unfortunately, some people are just unlucky with the problems sadly

It was introduced to fight against the pirating scumbags and it worked. Personally had no problems whatsoever with the intro onto the Steam platform-been using Steam a few years and pretty much been problem free, and on top of that picked up some top notch games at bargain prices. And the auto updating for games has made things virtually hassle free for me. I've never been a disc fan as I'm clumsy, and just paying and downloading has been a godsend for me as can now have permanent copy of my games stored online, so if anything happened to my desktop i'd simply have to redownload from the library

unfortunately, some people are just unlucky with the problems sadly

Yeah from what I've read online it hasn't affected many. I'll keep on trying to fix it anyway. Just ****** me off that I paid for the game yet can' play it and there are other who have downloaded it illegally and will be happily playing it as I type this.

That doesn't sound great, but hey at least Steam isn't EA, that's a massive reason to be thankful in my eyes haha

I've been using Steam since 2005 and I've never had any major issues. I love Steam.

Yeah from what I've read online it hasn't affected many. I'll keep on trying to fix it anyway. Just ****** me off that I paid for the game yet can' play it and there are other who have downloaded it illegally and will be happily playing it as I type this.

Have you asked for a refund? If there is no way for you to play the game, then I would of thought you would be entitled to a refund?

I presume you have tried uninstalling and re-installing steam? (If not, make a copy of any FM or other Steam files that you don't want to lose, just in case it deletes it!)

Do you go on Steam in online or offline mode? I very briefly had the same bug as you, but one day it just sorted itself out. Now everytime I turn on my laptop Steam updates, which is annoying but at least it successfully does it now so I can play after is has done! :D)

Have you asked for a refund? If there is no way for you to play the game, then I would of thought you would be entitled to a refund?

I presume you have tried uninstalling and re-installing steam? (If not, make a copy of any FM or other Steam files that you don't want to lose, just in case it deletes it!)

Do you go on Steam in online or offline mode? I very briefly had the same bug as you, but one day it just sorted itself out. Now everytime I turn on my laptop Steam updates, which is annoying but at least it successfully does it now so I can play after is has done! :D)

I left it in online mode so I really don't know what has happened. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it but to no avail. Just hoping I can get if fixed before FM14 at least. New laptop might be in order...

I left it in online mode so I really don't know what has happened. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it but to no avail. Just hoping I can get if fixed before FM14 at least. New laptop might be in order...

Try loading it in offline mode, or can you not even get that far?

I missed FM 12 because of the install steam bug steam updating to x percent then gets stuck.there support is useless this topic is still not resolved on the boards when i last looked.
Fix:
You need to uninstall steam>Preform a clean boot of your machine>Install steam>Restart as normal.Thats how i had to install FM 13.You seem to have a conflict. I have had no problems with steam or FM since i done this.
Look on Microsoft help boards if unsure of anything and always back up just in case but as said i had no problems and was quite simple.

I am unsure why you cannot uninstall but a clean boot then uninstall may resolve this as well.

I'm a fan of installing from disc and I miss that, I understand the need to combat piracy and I'm totally for that but I've had a rather unfortunate experience with steam on fm13 where.....
Every for days or maybe a week or so I turn it on and get a message telling me there is "no steam user information stored on this computer" and I have to log into steam to verify my details.
The 1st but not most annoying thing is when I click steam/fm I see my log in name briefly before the error message.
The 2nd and most annoying thing is that I don't take it out of offline mode unless I wanna get a patch as I don't have Internet access at home so at times I can't play the game unless I go to a mates house or take my laptop to work and go online.
When I connect to the net I don't have to enter any details or anything I just click steam and it takes me straight in, put it back in offline mode again and I'm away.
Got a new laptop today so hoping for a better experience this time.

I like steam, it's easy to buy and download games straight off your pc and it is usually cheaper than buying the game from a store. It also means that piracy is much less which is always a good thing as this used to be a massive problem with pc games! Finally, steam can connect you with friends easilly and is very ssimple to use which I love, overall, I think steam is very good and if you have any problems steam support is helpful and if you contacted steam they would probably come up with a solution for you...

For me, Steam made the game a bit more annoying, but it's nothing I can't deal with, and it hasn't completely ruined my experience.

Try using steam in offline mode.

I have been a long time player of FM, a lover of the game and look forward to the release of each new game. With FM13 I embarked upon my best ever career as Celtic, but now I can no longer play that save.

Why? Because Steam, the platform used to download FM13 has had some sort of catastrophic bug that seems to be affecting a select few. Basically when I click the steam icon it begins to download an update, but this update never completes because "Steam needs to be online to complete the update."

I have trawled through the internet to find a solution, and every solution I have tried has been a disastrous failure. The same message appears every time. I have contacted Steam numerous times, but to no avail. They reply with some pathetic impersonal message which does not address my issue in the slightest.

Now I paid good money for this game, and I was loving it. It's now been about a month without FM for me and I hate it. It got me wondering what the **** the point in Steam is. It has done nothing but cause me hassle these past few years that FM has used it.

So after that rant I would like to get to the point of my post. What is the need for steam? It has ruined my gaming experience in terms of FM, how have you found it? Also if you have any suggestions on how to fix the issue I'm having that would be great.

I really don't know what to do. I love FM and certainly want to steer clear of an illegal download, but at the moment there seems to be now way to play my game. What happened to the days when you put the disc in and installed everything straight on from there. Why was the hassle of online installation and downloading introduced, it has caused me nothing but grief. :'(:'(:'(

Thanks for the replies, going to give some of the solutions a go.

I can't put it in offline mode, I can't get onto Steam to change it there. I tried another way that I found online but that didn't help either.

I guess I was just very unlucky.

Quite the opposite, it has enhanced it if anything.

sometimes it can be a pain in the jaxie but I do like it. I've had some right bargains on daily deals

steam has its bugs and flaws which are quite anoying but most things do, i've had nothing that has stopped me playing but every time i close my fm13 i get a load of errors and it trys to load it up again.

I would say i'm neither in favour of discs or steam in particular at this stage.

i only use steam to play fm and occasionally try out a few free games which allways loose my interest within a couple hours

Thanks for the replies, going to give some of the solutions a go.

I can't put it in offline mode, I can't get onto Steam to change it there. I tried another way that I found online but that didn't help either.

I guess I was just very unlucky.

Your computer yhou use for FM, dos its have a wireless connection or is it "plugged in" ? If its wireless and the connenction is somewhat unstable, Steam dont like it. It been an issue for me from time to time so everytime there is an update ( fm update or steam update), I have to plug it into my modem and then it works.

Never had any issues with Steam and I have to say I like it. Picked up lots of games on sales and the indie games base is huge and worth a look (Legend of Grimrock, FTL, Swarm Arena, ...).

If you haven't tried, uninstall Steam then do a registry clean (f.e. Wise Registry Cleaner - CNET Download.com). That should remove every stored settings and you should be able to install the latest version of Steam again - which, in theory, should solve your issue.

I had the same problem, i performed a system restore to a point where steam worked fine and had no problems since then

Back