Has Steam ruined your gaming experience?

• Thread starter Thread starter Celticthroughandthrough88
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 6K
Not looked on the thread for a while, going to give these other solutions a go tomorrow/over the weekend. Fingers crossed, and the help is much appreciated.

Feel free to send me a PM if you still have problems. I do know a bit about PC's and know some Steam people - pretty sure we can figure this out.

One more thing I noticed about Steam.
Apprarently most anti-virus programs (be it original or pirated download free) and for some Windows firewall settings have been known to block off Steam updates. I had to literally disable my anti-virus programs and disabled my firewall in order to all Steam to update and then later reactivate my anti-virus protection settings together with the firewall.
Hope this helps.

Steam has been a revelation in my eyes! I had a few problems with it at first, it did somehow destroy my old Pc but that was when I was new to it! never had a problem since!

the only Steam issues I've ever had were caused by my anti-virus software. Check that.

Like Lee, I’ve been using Steam since 2005 and have never had any major issues. In fact it has broadened my gaming options tenfold. No disks, plenty of selection and automatic updates, what’s not to love?

Its doing the exact same thing on my new laptop, shocking really, this is why I hate steam.

It hasn't really been that successful against piracy, the game is still exceptionally easy to illegally download.
Although I've never had any problems with steam and i enjoy using it.

It hasn't really been that successful against piracy, the game is still exceptionally easy to illegally download.

You're half right, it's easy to download yes. But to find and download a working fully updated version, have fun with that.

Most of those "hackers" stopped bothering with FM12 because it started taking too long to do it, same is happening with FM13 which is why most updates aren't cracked or even remotely close to working.

i had that issue, i think i had to delete a file from somewhere to fix it, now i'm running fine

Glad your enjoying it....wish I was!
I never had a problem with steam on fm12 but on fm13 it randomly loses my steam log info( it actually hasn't though, it shows my user name quickly then disappears) and I have to go online with steam and then back to offline...
Thing is I have no active Internet connection so im stuffed, can't play the game!! (unless I get online, you cannot imagine the amount of times I've sat in mcdonalds car park using their free wifi!!!)
Had this for like 8months now and im actually using a new laptop which I got a couple of weeks ago, so that rules out a the pc, they are not even the same os so I'm pretty sure it's steams fault.
It's left me at the point now where I'm looking at downloading a pirate copy because I can't play the game ive paid for.
Soooo frustrated. :-(

Was it a registry file because I've tried that, I'm done with trawling through web pages looking for a fix, I just want to play the game...
What ever happened to putting a disc in a drive and clicking the desktop icon...jheez

Always having to be online to play for some unknown reason. Really upsets me when I try to play on my laptop. But other than that, no real issues. I occasionally get the 'Update required' which is slightly aggravating, can't complain otherwise.

If I had broadband at home I wouldn't care because I would leave it in online mode, or just take it out of offline mode quickly.
The one that kills me is I have a two hour train journey twice a week and I can be playing it the night before and then get on the train the next day, power up, click the icon and BAM! "there is no steam log on info stored on the computer, please connect to the steam network"
Makes me want to hit the emergency stop button!

It's done well enough to increase sales enough to the point that they hired 16 new staff, and are now selling it in new countries.

Was it a registry file because I've tried that, I'm done with trawling through web pages looking for a fix, I just want to play the game...
What ever happened to putting a disc in a drive and clicking the desktop icon...jheez

It died the moment games started getting pirated at 10 times the amount they sold. That is unsustainable for many developers.

It died the moment games started getting pirated at 10 times the amount they sold. That is unsustainable for many developers.

Yeah I get that and I'm all for it.
It's just ****** frustrating, I don't want to ruled by the Internet, I paid for a game and now I can't play it now unless I'm online.
I know this problem isn't very common having spent a lot time looking for a way to stop it from happening, offline mode is there for people like me who want to play the game without being connected to the Internet, really hoped it was my old laptop which was the problem, but now it's happening on my new laptop it got me thinking it was me?
I've done everything by the book, took the new laptop to my mates, did all the set up ****, made my back up discs ect, did all the updates, then downloaded steam, logged in and re-downloaded fm, had my old saves on memory stick so loaded up and been playing for two weeks or so problem free.
I've now got that horrible feeling everytime I power up that I might not be able to play.

Planned on sitting in my dressing gown all day playing fm watching Liverpool vs everton and then man u vs Chelsea but now I've gotta go to my second home mcdonalds car park..thank god for their free wifi!

Yeah I get that and I'm all for it.
It's just ****** frustrating, I don't want to ruled by the Internet, I paid for a game and now I can't play it now unless I'm online.
I know this problem isn't very common having spent a lot time looking for a way to stop it from happening, offline mode is there for people like me who want to play the game without being connected to the Internet, really hoped it was my old laptop which was the problem, but now it's happening on my new laptop it got me thinking it was me?
I've done everything by the book, took the new laptop to my mates, did all the set up ****, made my back up discs ect, did all the updates, then downloaded steam, logged in and re-downloaded fm, had my old saves on memory stick so loaded up and been playing for two weeks or so problem free.
I've now got that horrible feeling everytime I power up that I might not be able to play.

I know what you mean. I like Steam, but I don't like the way it had to come about.

Have you raised it with steam? I know you have spent ages looking for fixes. Because its bizarre that you have it after various updates from steam over the last few months.

Lol no I haven't actually raised it with steam, I've just moaned about it on here!
I imagine they will recommend that I unistall and reinstall everything which is what happened because I brought a new laptop.
I had this thought that maybe it occurred when I shut down the laptop too quickly after exiting fm, thinking maybe steam doesn't get the chance to shut down correctly before the laptop shuts off, but I doubt it, I think I'm just looking for anything that causes it.
I never noticed on my old laptop win7 that steam was waiting to close down, it doesn't show programs waiting to close on win8 but I doubt it was that anyway.
...and of course the only reason I use steam is for fm it's the only game I have on my laptop.

Back