In my opinion the best HOYD is 'Bernhard Peters'... absolutely insane stats.

what team are you playing as ? Did any of them haved rather good stats but average mental stats, then remember that the mental stats as Ambition and Prof. can be brought up, meaning that the player will be more likely to actially reach his potential. I have had 3 players with 2 stars that with some good tutoring and training are now considered 3,3 and 4 stars, and ghis is with a team that on this journey has got better players to compare them to

That's a good point actually, with youth intakes I don't really check their stats unless their at least 3 and a half stars then I bring them to my senior squad to keep an eye on them.

one of the approaches to getting better youth intake has always been to increase the quality of your u-20 staff.

The problem with this game is that NOBODY wants to coach u-20's. Its hard enough finding a coach, but literally nobody wants to take on the u-20s HC position, and its even harder to find physio's and fitness coaches for the youngins. Its very frustrating clicking through hundreds of coaches to learn none of them want to coach your youngins.

one of the approaches to getting better youth intake has always been to increase the quality of your u-20 staff.

The problem with this game is that NOBODY wants to coach u-20's. Its hard enough finding a coach, but literally nobody wants to take on the u-20s HC position, and its even harder to find physio's and fitness coaches for the youngins. Its very frustrating clicking through hundreds of coaches to learn none of them want to coach your youngins.
Fitness coaches and physios work for all sides and the U20s coaches improving youth intake I've heard is a myth. It's easy to find the staff though. Just pick the best staff already in that position or unemployed coaches.

Youth intake improves by expanding the clubs network, i heard.