tropicalafc

Reaction score
View attachment 403105

I have taken the reigns at Hearts with the club in administration and heavily tipped for relegation. The short term goals are to guide the club through financial difficulty and to preserve our status in the SPL.

View attachment 403103
The squad is small and full of youngsters. Of 21 players, only 3 are above the age of 22. Goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald (27), midfielder Jamie Hamill (26) and midfielder Ryan Stevenson (28). Providing they are not sold by the administrators, these three could be key in any successes of the coming season.

The bright side is the remainder of the squad are full of potential. Defender and club captain Danny Wilson (21) is one of a few players whose contract is not up at the end of the season and is someone I am desperate to keep hold of. Jason Holt (20) is expected to provide the attacking thrust from midfield and is already well on his way to fulfilling the great potential seen in him. Unfortunately he is one of the many in the final year of their contract and depending on how the season goes, I do not expect to be able to keep him.

View attachment 403102

The administrators have sold promising midfielder Scott Robinson to St Johnstone for ?100k. I am obviously disappointed with his departure but not entirely surprised. I just hope there are not too many more departures.

Pre-Season Friendly

Exeter 1-0 Hearts

A disappointing performance of few chances for either side. We go down to a first half free kick from David Wheeler. Defensively sound but toothless in attack. Liverpool next.

Thankfully Kevin McHattie rejected an offer from Crystal Palace. The deal would have been lucrative for the club but potentially disastrous for the team. Kevin is our only natural left back. However, with 2 months left of the transfer window there is still plenty of time for things to go pear shaped.

Pre-Season Friendly

Hearts 1-1 Liverpool

Delight! It was all Liverpool in the first half and they went ahead through Luis Suarez. But a far more even second half resulted in David Smith scoring a deserved equaliser 10 minutes from the end. A super display against top opposition.

The club announce an extension of our credit facilities which will hopefully ensure the club's long-term future. I am still concerned with the short-term doubt over the squad but this is good news going forward.

Pre-Season Friendly

Accrington 3-0 Hearts

Truly awful from start to finish. First half goals from Danny Webber and George Bowerman and an unlucky own goal from young Jordan McGhee. I was surprised to see we had 14 shots in the game, not surprised to see 0 on target.. Just not good enough. I'll see how the game against Torquay goes and then consider changing things up. Not ideal with 2 games to go until the start of the season.

Pre-Season Friendly

Torquay 2-3 Hearts

Better. Much better. Dale Carrick opened the scoring for us after a dominant first 30 minutes and we were unlucky to go in level at half time. Danny Wilson made up for a few weak performances by putting us ahead in the second half. Kevin McHattie scored a superb free kick a few moments later before a late Courtney Cameron goal for Torquay. The scoreline flatters Torquay immensely.

The chase is hotting up for our young goalkeeper Jack Hamilton. Kilmarnock were snubbed by the player a few weeks back but Partick have now joined in. As we currently have 3 goalkeepers, I will not be overly disappointed with his departure.
Alas, a few days later he has signed for St Johnstone who came in with a late bid of ?30k.

Pre-Season Friendly

Dagenham & Redbridge 1-2 Hearts

A decent win and performance. Callum Paterson putting us ahead early on before a superb strike from Dagenham's Abu Ogogo. Ryan Stevenson got us a deserved winner late on. Like Torquay, Dagenham scored with their only shots on target. It's not too much of a worry and it has been pleasing to get 2 dominating performances after the shocker at Accrington.

View attachment 403099

Pre-Season Review

Pre-season over and it's been a mixed bag. Im pleased with the two most recent results and am hoping the Accrington game was just a blip. There has been a lot of team changes throughout for fitness purposes and I'm hoping stability will iron out some of the more obvious flaws in our game. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can get through this month without too many departures. It would be foolish to think there will not be one or two. Because of the club entering administration, we will begin the season on -15 points. It's vital we get above 0 as quickly as possible.

It is announced that goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald will miss the season opener away to St Johnstone through injury. Thankfully that should be the only game he misses.

On the morning of the first game of the season it is announced that offers of ?575k from Newcastle and Norwich have been accepted for Callum Paterson. Should a deal go through then it will be financially significant for the club but I will be gutted to lose a player who is so vital to the first team.

August 2013

Scottish Premier League

St Johnstone 1-2 Hearts

A superb win away at St Johnstone. Callum Paterson put us ahead with a screamer in the first half in what could possibly be his last game for the club. We could've been 3 or 4 up by half time. Steven MacLean scored a thoroughly undeserved equaliser early in the second half and I was starting to think our dominance would not be rewarded. Thankfully Tam Scobbie was sent off for the home side and Callum Tapping made the advantage count with the winner. A great start.

View attachment 402970

View attachment 402969

Aston Villa have enquired about Jordan McGhee and the administrators have apparently declared an acceptable price. Worrying news if one of our three natural centre backs is heading out the door.

View attachment 402967

The league cup draws us at home against Airdrie, to be played at the end of the month.

View attachment 402964
Newcastle announce the signing of Callum Paterson who has thankfully been loaned back to us for the rest of the season.

View attachment 402965
Aston Villa announce the signing of Jordan McGhee who weren't so kind and have taken him immediately. A defensive injury now would be worrying.

View attachment 402963
Yeovil announce the signing of winger Jamie Walker. They have been after him for a few weeks now and have got their man. The squad is depleting fast after this terrible stint of departures.

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 0-1 Hibernian

A testing week ends in derby day heartbreak. An even game ends with Tom Taiwo nicking the winner towards the end. We didn't deserve to lose but these things happen.

View attachment 402961

Liam Gordon and Liam Smith have been promoted to the first team to provide defensive cover.

Scottish Premier League

Partick Thistle 1-3 Hearts

A perfect response to the Hibs game. A first half double from Callum Paterson set us on our way. Stuart Bannigan looked to have set up a nervy final 20 minutes for Partick but Jamie Hamill scored late on to seal the points. An excellent win to move us up to -9 points.

View attachment 402960

View attachment 402959
Millwall have announced the signing of Ryan Stevenson. Ryan has been a key part of the team so far and I am gutted to lose him. One of the few remaining older players. The end of the month cannot come soon enough. Angus Beith has been promoted to the first team to cover the departure.

View attachment 402958
Danny Wilson is out for 4-5 weeks. After Jordan McGhee's departure, this was not what I needed.

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 1-2 Aberdeen

A disappointing home defeat to Aberdeen. After a bright start Billy King put us ahead but 2 quick goals from Scott Vernon gave Aberdeen the lead before half time. We never really responded even after Ryan Jack was sent off for the away team towards the end.

View attachment 402957

View attachment 402956
The weekend loss is forgotten as we leave administration! Thankfully the transfer power is back with the club and we can begin to keep some of our players. Hopefully we can kick on from here.

The news is followed by contract extensions for experienced goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald, midfielder Jamie Hamill and youngsters Dale Carrick, Jason Holt, Brad McKay and Callum Tappng.

Scottish League Cup Second Round

Hearts 4-1 Airdrie AET

A first half red card for Airdrie's Florian Moulet meant I was disappointed for this game to go to extra time. We took the lead early in the second half through Callum Paterson but a late Jim Lister goal took the game to extra time. We were always in control though and a superb free kick from Kevin McHattie gave us the lead again. The win was wrapped up with goals from Brad McKay and Callum Tapping. A good win but I anticipate some tired legs for the weekend league game.

View attachment 402953

View attachment 402952
The League Cup draw is made and has thrown us a chance at revenge with a home tie against Hibs.

The club announce further contract extensions for Angus Beith, Sam Nicholson, Liam Smith, Liam Gordon and Dylan McGowan.

View attachment 402950
Dundee United make an offer for young Liam Gordon which gives me my first chance to reject a transfer offer. After the powerless past few months, this is a good feeling.

Scottish Premier League

Inverness 1-1 Hearts

We were second best for most of the game. Callum Paterson looked to have got the winner for us with 20minutes left but an injury time equaliser from Richie Foran meant the points were shared. A good result overall but disappointing not to take all 3 points.

View attachment 402948

View attachment 402947
Calum Paterson wins SPL Young Player of the Month. Fully deserved in my opinion.

View attachment 402946

View attachment 402945

August Review

I am quite pleased with our start. We are obviously still bottom of the league but have begun the slow crawl into a positive points total. I was surprised to leave administration so early on in the season, it has allowed us to nail down a few players for the future and to stop the sea of players leaving the club. If we can start picking up points at home then I'm hopeful we can start putting pressure on the teams around us.

August Player of the Month
Callum Paterson. Without a doubt. Disappointed to lose him to Newcastle but delighted he'll be with us for the rest of the season. 5 of our 11 goals so far have been scored by him and long may it continue. Notable mention for Kevin McHattie who has performed superbly at left back and has shown himself as a real menace from set pieces.

Hearts are one of the biggest challenges on fm so well done for even trying to get them out the myre! The players youve lost through no fault of your own will make it more difficult but you're out of administration now and must be great to be able to turn down offers now.....paterson is awesome when played correctly and can weigh in with a fair few goals for you. Would be interesting to know what formation and starting line up youve decided to use. Best of luck mate will be following.

Thanks mate. I'm a little ahead of the updates in real life but as I recall my first choice 11 throughout the season went something like this.

Macdonald (GK)

McGowan (FB) McKay (CB) Wilson (CB) McHattie (FB)

Hamill (A)

Holt (AP) Tapping (BBM)

King (Winger) Paterson (AF) Smith (Winger)

When I realised that Paterson could play up front (I was originally playing him at right full back) it was a revelation.

September 2013

View attachment 402871

The month begins with a few rounds of internationals. Brad McKay, Kevin McHattie and Callum Paterson are away with Scotland U21's.

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 0-2 Celtic

A deserved victory for Celtic here. They dominated the game. After getting to half time at 0-0 I was hoping we could hold out for a point but goals from Saido Berahino and Charlie Mulgrew sent the champions home with all 3 points.

View attachment 402870

Club captain Danny Wilson returns to full training after 4 weeks out with a back strain. The news is a welcome boost although the league game at Ross County at the weekend may come just a bit too soon.

Scottish Premier League

Ross County 0-1 Hearts

A vital win. We didn't play particularly well but a late Billy King strike gave us all 3 points. Danny Wilson returned to the bench but didn't feature.

(Apologies, forgot to screenshot stats)

Scottish League Cup Third Round

Hearts 1-1 Hibernian (Hearts win 5-4 on penalties)

Delighted to get through in the cup and delighted to get revenge on Hibs. We fell behind, probably deservedly so, to a Liam Craig goal. Sam Nicholson scored his first professional goal to force extra time. Owain Tudur-Jones was sent off with minutes left but there was no time to take advantage and the game went to penalties. Thankfully luck was on our side and we head into the quarter finals.

View attachment 402869

View attachment 402868

David Smith is unfortunately ruled out for 4-5 weeks with a twisted ankle. A chance for derby hero Sam Nicholson to get some game time.

View attachment 402867

We are drawn at home again in the Scottish League Cup. Inverness in the quarter finals.

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 1-3 Dundee United

Still without a home league point to our name as we end September. Dundee United showed today why they are second in the league with some delightful passing football. An early Nadir Cliftci goal set them on their way before Callum Paterson equalised. The goal spurred us on a bit and I was hoping we could at least hold on for a point, if not go on and win it. It wasn't to be as Paul Paton and John Souttar scored to give Dundee United a win they deserved.

View attachment 402866

View attachment 402865

View attachment 402864

September review
A mixed bag this month. The Ross County win was superb and it's always nice to win the derby games. The Dundee United result is definitely one to put behind us. Celtic top the table expectedly. We now sit on -5 points at the bottom. I am hoping we can get above 0 in October to set us up nicely for the home fixture against St Johnstone at the beginning of November.

Player of the Month
Kevin McHattie. It was a tough one this month. Callum Paterson's form slowed a bit but Kevin has kept a consistent level of performance throughout the month.

October 2013

View attachment 402653

Callum Paterson, Brad McKay and Kevin McHattie are called up for Scotland U21's. Whilst youngsters Liam Gordon and Jordan Miller join up with the U19's.

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 0-2 St Mirren

The month begins with another terrible home performance. 2 goals from Jim Goodwin in each half seals the win for St Mirren. We desperately need to pick up points at home and it heaps pressure on us going into the next 2 games.

View attachment 402652

View attachment 402651

Sam Nicholson is ruled out for 3 weeks. A reshuffle is in order up top with David Smith also out for the next few weeks.

Scottish Premier League

Motherwell 1-1 Hearts

It was important not to lose this game. The players stepped up after falling behind to a John Sutton goal. Billy King equalised before half time. The second half was evenly matched and we can be proud of the draw.

View attachment 402650

David Smith and Sam Nicholson return to full training and could feature at the weekend.

Scottish Premier League

Kilmarnock 0-4 Hearts

Wow. What a performance. Billy King netted just before half time to give us a slender lead going into the second period. From then on, we were dominant. King scored again mid way through the half and Paterson made it 3-0 almost immediately. Just as the game was coming to the end, King grabbed his hattrick. A superb performance to take us within touching distance of a positive points tally.

View attachment 402649

Scottish League Cup Quarter Final

Hearts 2-0 Inverness

An excellent performance. Thoroughly professional. Danny Wilson scored his first of the season just before half time. We seemed content to keep the ball in the second half and were never really troubled. Richie Foran saw red for Inverness before Angus Beith scored his first senior goal. And what a goal it was. Picking up the ball from around 30-35 yards out and blasting it into the top corner. A wonderful moment for the youngster. I'm very happy to be through to the semi-finals.

View attachment 402648

View attachment 402647

We draw Ross County in the semi-final. The other tie is Aberdeen v Celtic.

View attachment 402646

Billy King wins SPL Young Player of the Month after some wonderful displays.

View attachment 402645

View attachment 402644

October review
I have to say I was worried after the St Mirren defeat. However our performances since have been extraordinary. We didn't meet my target for this month of getting into a positive points total in the league but with our first game next month at home to St Johnstone, I'm positive about our chances of making progress in November. It's been a pleasure getting to the semi-finals of the League Cup and I'm hoping we can go further. That competition does not resume again until February so we have that to look forward to. Onwards!

Player Of The Month
Billy King. A hattrick away to Kilmarnock has been the outstanding individual performance of the season so far. He also netted our equaliser away to Motherwell. A superb month from a player who is proving key to our successes in attack.

BOO! Rangers 2.0 are going down and that makes me happy :)

Sorry if you're a Hearts supporter they just seem to rub me in the wrong way for some reason xD

Good luck with your challenge though.. although you've nearly overcame the biggest challenge of jumping out of negative points so fast!

November 2013

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 1-2 St Johnstone

A hugely disappointing result as our poor home form continues. St Johnstone took the lead in the first half through David Wotherspoon. Billy King got us back into the game before half-time and we looked like the better team. A second half of few chances for either side culminated in Fraser Fyvie nicking all 3 points for the away side late on. The result means we remain on -1 point and St Johnstone directly above us on 7 points.

View attachment 402522

View attachment 402521

We are drawn away to Inverness in the Scottish Cup. Tie to be played at the end of the month.

View attachment 402518

David Smith signs a new contract, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2015/2016 season.

View attachment 402517

Six players are called up for the upcoming international fixtures. Danny Wilson has worked his way into Gordon Strachan's senior side for the games against Chile and Armenia.

Scottish Premier League

Aberdeen 1-0 Hearts

Aberdeen were comfortable winners here. Jonny Hayes put the home side ahead just before half time with what turned out to be the only goal of the game. We had a few chances in the second half but just couldn't convert. Jamie Hamill and Billy King were forced off through injury, I just hope it is nothing serious. Surprisingly, our first away defeat of the season in the league.

View attachment 402516

View attachment 402515

Jamie Hamill is ruled out for 4-5 weeks with a twisted ankle. Thankfully Billy King should be fit for the next game.

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 1-0 Ross County

Our first home win in the league! Kevin McHattie scored another superb free kick in the first half and that turned out to be enough to win the game. Ross rallied late on but we held out for the win to put ourselves on 2 points in the league.

View attachment 402514

Scottish Cup Fourth Round

Inverness 0-0 Hearts

We did well in this game and were unlucky not to win. Jason Holt and Callum Paterson went close but it wasn't to be. We've earned a home replay.

View attachment 402513

View attachment 402510

View attachment 402509

November review
Not a bad month. I'm happy to be into a positive points total in the league and we did well away in the cup. There's still a huge amount of work to do as we sit 8 points behind Kilmarnock. A relatively busy fixture list in December means we have a few opportunities to get ourselves into a better position for the new year.

Player of the Month
Kevin McHattie. Not many stood out this month but Kevin's consistency and wonder goal against Ross County means the award goes to him this month.

You're doing well mate despite all the setbacks.....unlucky against st Johnstone a win there would have really put the pressure on them.Keep Wilson, Mchattie, Paterson and Hamill fit and you have a great chance of catching the pack. Difficult to get any consistency when you're forced to play a team full of kids. Still in the cup as well keep it up mate!

Cheers buddy, those four are definitely the key players. Need to find some consistency. Should have a new update tomorrow evening.

December 2013

View attachment 401874

View attachment 401878

Should we get past Inverness, we have been drawn at home to play Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup Fifth Round.

Scottish Cup Fourth Round Replay

Hearts 1-0 Inverness

We kick off the month with a decent home win. Jason Holt scored his first of the season from the spot in the first half. He was unfortunately forced off through injury 5 minutes later. Both sides wasted numerous opportunities and both sides had goals disallowed. The penalty turned out to be enough to set up a fifth round home tie against Cowdenbeath.

View attachment 401876

Scottish Premier League

Dundee United 1-1 Hearts

An excellent point away to Dundee United who have impressed me this season. We were completely outplayed in the first half and went into half time behind thanks to a Nadir Cliftci goal. The second half was a different matter and we were well on top. We got our deserved equaliser when a Kevin McHattie free kick was spilled into the path of David Smith who scored his first goal for the club. We were unlucky not to win the game late on when Smith shot just past the post. A good point.

View attachment 401875

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 3-1 Inverness

Jamie Hamill returned from injury as we comfortably beat Inverness at Tynecastle. 2 quick goals from Billy King in the first half set us on our way before Jack Barlow pulled one back late on for Inverness. Captain Danny Wilson banished any nerves moments later with a superb header. A much needed win with the teams above us also victorious today.

View attachment 401873

Scottish Premier League

Celtic 1-1 Hearts

Another excellent performance away to top opposition. Celtic will be wondering how they haven't won the game but I am delighted. Derk Boerrigter scored for the home side but Callum Paterson equalised almost immediately. Despite their dominance and huge second half pressure, we held on for a crucial point.

View attachment 401872

Scottish Premier League

Hearts 2-1 Kilmarnock

A strange game but a massive 3 points for us. We started brilliantly but somehow found ourselves behind after half an hour through a David Moberg-Karlsson strike. That goal gave Kilmarnock strength and they began to dominate the game. Late goals from Sam Nicholson and David Smith gave us a massive win that moves us just 5 points behind the 3 teams above us.

View attachment 401871

Scottish Premier League

St Mirren 2-4 Hearts

Simply stunning. With St Mirren beginning the day in 2nd​ place, I knew we were going to be in for a tough day. The home side dominated the first half and went 1-0 up through Lewis Milne. We came out for the second half looking like a completely different team and scored 4 super goals in 20 minutes. 2 from Callum Paterson and one each for Billy King and Angus Beith left St Mirren stunned. They scored a late consolation goal through Steven Thompson but nothing could be done to stop us from completing an undefeated month.

View attachment 401870

View attachment 401869
View attachment 401868

December review

An undefeated month and some super performances. We are now just 3 points behind Partick Thistle and if we can keep up this form we will soon be off the bottom. Highlights of the month have been the defensive display away to Celtic and the incredible 20 minute period against St Mirren.

Player of the month

Billy King. There were a few players who were in contention for my player of the month. Danny Wilson has been a rock in defence and David Smith has scored some excellent goals. But Billy King has continued his excellent form and must take the accolade. He is a player that can create goals from nothing and has stepped up when needed most.

well done...
hope the team keep up the good form.

reading this has made me want to start a Hearts save myself.
Looks a challenging task.

Great story and well done and being a rangers fan a know a lot about theses young players and you a doing really well keep it up :)

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies. Will have two updates for you in a little while. One is just a short look around the other top leagues mid way through the year.

Will keep my eyes on this, good start so far, particularly the draw against Celtic. Next season you should be aiming to get into that top half, and we'll see from there...