Help: Getting a Mixture of English/Spanish Football to Work!

Scotty98TR

Reaction score
Basically, I am trying to take the best of two very different nation's styles, and bringing them together to bring success in England. I have begun in the Premier league, but may move to a lower-league club and try similar tactics there if I get success!

Anyway, I am using [My beloved!] Arsenal, and am using a "flat 4-4-2" with a Target-Man (Fernando Llorente/Giroud) and a Poacher (Lukas Podolski/Walcott). As I said, I am trying to get the best out of both styles of football; so I am using mainly short passing, but counter-attacking (although I am using the "Attacking" strategy!) and then trying to get the ball out wide to get my Winger/Wide-Midfielder (Cazorla/Gervinho and Oscar De Marcos/Chamberlain) to cross it in for Llorente to either score or knock it down for Podolski.

Unfortuantly, although after 2 months the tactic as a whole is working (I am 2nd in the league with a game in hand) both Llorente and Podolski are not producing goals or assists! Luckily, Cazorla is getting loads of assists, and Walcott and Giroud are getting goals when they play. However I spent most of my budget on Llorente (?25m!) so want to get him as a key part of the tactic. Any help in using tactic's involving a TM and another kind of striker would be much appreciated, as I normally use a "4-1-2-1-2 narrow" formation without using a TM.

Thanks in advance :D

Screenshots, of team instructions, tactics etc would really help

Try making the MR a winger and the LM wide midfielder and keep the full backs the same. Having two very attacking players

playing on the same wing just makes them get in each others way especially when you want them to make crosses. Also tell

llorente to run from deep sometimes instead of often. It will help him stay back and be more involved in build up play. Also dont

make all your players cross the ball to the target man. I usually tell my wingers to cross the ball near post and fullbacks cross

the ball far post. These are the things I would try. Hopefully they work for you. Let me know how it goes

Got a game against Tottenham coming up, will try what you said in that and in the two matches before it; will port results :D

Try making the MR a winger and the LM wide midfielder and keep the full backs the same. Having two very attacking players

playing on the same wing just makes them get in each others way especially when you want them to make crosses. Also tell

llorente to run from deep sometimes instead of often. It will help him stay back and be more involved in build up play. Also dont

make all your players cross the ball to the target man. I usually tell my wingers to cross the ball near post and fullbacks cross

the ball far post. These are the things I would try. Hopefully they work for you. Let me know how it goes

Rather than swapping the two wide mid-fielders around, would it be just as effective swapping the TM and poacher around? (Cazorla is best on the left so he can either cut inside and shoot or cross it!)

you could swap the fullbacks instead not the strikers. You could also have the swap position option selected for the two strikers

By the way, another problem I have which I may as well mention, is that Podolski is continuesly getting offside, any idea's how to get him to stay onside more, other than the PPM (I already started him on a different PPM so can't teach him the stay onside one till his is done :( )

you could swap the fullbacks instead not the strikers. You could also have the swap position option selected for the two strikers

Sagna is not very good at crossing though, whilst that is Baines' main strength!

Unfortunately, that is down to the players off the ball movement, anticipation and decision. I never really had that problem

Okay thanks, I'll just have to wait till I can train him to have the PPM :)

Good news and bad news!!

Good news:
I won the Tottenham game 5-0 using the tweaks you suggested, and the Target Man (Giroud) did get a goal, although it was a lob from outside the area..

Bad news:
Llorente needed resting so didn't start, but came on for 35 mins. Although we finally got some good balls to him, he just couldn't score! I have now put him on a training to improve composure, but he already has high composure! Don't know what to do!

P.S. Podolski scored in the game before that (In the Champions League!)

I never use Target men ! U usually just set my tall / strong / slow striker as an Advanced Forward , and it works wonders .

Llorente and Giroud are more like Advanced Forwards , than Target men . They have a fair amount of pace , and are good with the ball at their feet .

Carroll on the other hand , or Arthuro ... are Old fashioned Target men .

So i would first of all , use a 4-2-2-2 . There is no point in using Cazorla and De Marcos as Wide Midfielders .

You should keep M'Villa and Arteta , sitting deep to control the midfield ( high pressing , no forwards runs , no long shots , many through balls , between 6 and 11 mentality and creative freedom ... ) , using a stopper ( mertesacker ) / cover ( Vermaelan ) combo , and using traditional wingers .

You can also try to play with only one striker . Llorente maybe , and play Cazorla in the whole , with the option " moves into channels " and Llorente with " Normal " movement .

That would make Llorente kind of a Target man ( with more flair and speed ) , and Cazorla will be moving all around him , linking up with him !

Good news and bad news!!

Good news:
I won the Tottenham game 5-0 using the tweaks you suggested, and the Target Man (Giroud) did get a goal, although it was a lob from outside the area..

Bad news:
Llorente needed resting so didn't start, but came on for 35 mins. Although we finally got some good balls to him, he just couldn't score! I have now put him on a training to improve composure, but he already has high composure! Don't know what to do!

P.S. Podolski scored in the game before that (In the Champions League!)

Thats good to hear. With regards to Llorente not scoring chances, it could be a lot of things. Maybe he is not fully settled into the

club, not settled into the tactics etc. Just have to give him time. I have never used him so dont really know. Some players have

really good stats but end up being rubbish. Might be the case, but like I said, just give him more time

I never use Target men ! U usually just set my tall / strong / slow striker as an Advanced Forward , and it works wonders .

Llorente and Giroud are more like Advanced Forwards , than Target men . They have a fair amount of pace , and are good with the ball at their feet .

Carroll on the other hand , or Arthuro ... are Old fashioned Target men .

So i would first of all , use a 4-2-2-2 . There is no point in using Cazorla and De Marcos as Wide Midfielders .

You should keep M'Villa and Arteta , sitting deep to control the midfield ( high pressing , no forwards runs , no long shots , many through balls , between 6 and 11 mentality and creative freedom ... ) , using a stopper ( mertesacker ) / cover ( Vermaelan ) combo , and using traditional wingers .

You can also try to play with only one striker . Llorente maybe , and play Cazorla in the whole , with the option " moves into channels " and Llorente with " Normal " movement .

That would make Llorente kind of a Target man ( with more flair and speed ) , and Cazorla will be moving all around him , linking up with him !

I am not wanting to change my formation, since a flat 4-4-2 gives great defensive solidty (Much like Arsenal have shown in real life!) however, I like your idea of not using him directly as a Target Man, although he doesn't have great pace so would have to train him a while in that. Still worth thinking about though, thanks (Y)

EDIT: also, Cazorla has 13 assists from 15 games, whilst Oscar has 7 goals and 3 assists in 14 games, so don't really want to meddle with that (plus overall the tactic is working, just Llorente and Podolski aren't really scoring! Whereas Giroud and Walcott playing in the exact same tactics/formation are scoring freely!!!

Thats good to hear. With regards to Llorente not scoring chances, it could be a lot of things. Maybe he is not fully settled into the

club, not settled into the tactics etc. Just have to give him time. I have never used him so dont really know. Some players have

really good stats but end up being rubbish. Might be the case, but like I said, just give him more time

Yeah, I had a look at the match analysis thing for the last few games, and I think I have found the problem... from the last 4 games, we have had only 2 successful crosses not from corners, most of them are awful..... don't know what the problem could be though, as Oscar has a crossing rating of 16 whilst Baines has 18 (Cazorla has 14 but cuts inside more.) Any ideas? Thanks

Also, baring in mind what you had said about the Llorente not settling into the tactics, I have created a new training regime for him to with alot more emphasise on the tactics training :)

Last edited:
Are the crosses bad or is it that the strikers are not in the right place to receive them? You should also remember that crosses

dont work against all teams. When I used to play 4-4-2, I made the full backs cross from deep and aim for far post and the

wingers cross from byline and aim for near post or centre. It always worked wonders for me.

Are the crosses bad or is it that the strikers are not in the right place to receive them? You should also remember that crosses

dont work against all teams. When I used to play 4-4-2, I made the full backs cross from deep and aim for far post and the

wingers cross from byline and aim for near post or centre. It always worked wonders for me.

Sorry for late reply, I didn't realise you had posted again :)

It is the crosses which are not getting there, however, most of the time they are being blocked or intercepted.

For example, just played a match against Liverpool, dominated them, Podolski scored and Llorente got an assist and played well :D But when I go in analysis, this is what it shows for crosses:

View attachment 276753