Help setting up 5-3-2 (SW, Wing Backs, AMC and 2 strikers)

How about the old 'let Libero man mark opposition's AMC/playmaker' workaround? That somehow worked in FM11 (just 'worked' however. 'twas ugly to set up), as the biggest problem playing with a Libero was to 'move' him up the pitch and getting him connected to your build-up play. Usually, this guy just sat behind your CBs and didn't do anything at all. Setting your Libero as a guard dog for one of your opponent's central players however threw him right into the action. Though his avg rating suffered massively from man marking, hardly ever got those guys higher than 7.5.

Lack of suitable players who feel at least a litte familiar in SW position is another pain in the ***. Anyone ever re-trained young CBs for playing in SW?

Not many great SW's in the game, Bocchetti and Musachio are the only two that stand out.
Retraining regens is your best bet for getting them in the future, most decent CB regens fit into the role perfectly anyway.

How about the old 'let Libero man mark opposition's AMC/playmaker' workaround? That somehow worked in FM11 (just 'worked' however. 'twas ugly to set up), as the biggest problem playing with a Libero was to 'move' him up the pitch and getting him connected to your build-up play. Usually, this guy just sat behind your CBs and didn't do anything at all. Setting your Libero as a guard dog for one of your opponent's central players however threw him right into the action. Though his avg rating suffered massively from man marking, hardly ever got those guys higher than 7.5.

Lack of suitable players who feel at least a litte familiar in SW position is another pain in the ***. Anyone ever re-trained young CBs for playing in SW?

I duno if I said it in this thread or a different one but I always end up ditching the SW and playing a Flat 3... And my way of setting up a Libero was using the settings of a DLP and then tweaking it and mixing in some Libero elements to get something that worked... IV never had the patience to use a SW for more than 5 or 6 games Iv only ever seen one good Regen SW come thru and that was 14 years into one of my games... I always found it was better to just settle for 3 CBs, set the middle one to cover and keep tweaking things until it behaves like a back with a SW...

Iv actually never bothered retraining my Regens to SW since I had it set up as 3 CBs I did convert certain DM/CM to CB tho because I liked to play possession football...

Last edited:
Thanks guys the more and more i read about this the more it seems that should i ditch this tactic for !!

should i change it to counter 4-3-3 (mourinho at chelsea style)? another tactic i was thinking of playing!
I love rigid solid controlled counter attacking tactics... i was thinking this could be my back up plan if the above didn't work!

An idea i had was to use Chelsea's 4-3-3 counter away and against bigger clubs, and use Mourinho real madrid tactic (which i think would be more attacking , more closing down but still rigid)...

where do i start though? has anyone attempted doing a Mourinho pack tactic? (i.e porto, chelsea, inter, and madrid)???

hey bud :)

I just assisted veez the other day with his away from home tactic he was struggling with and changed his original tactic and its working a charm now..

if you want, I can look at yours as well and do the same thing?

meaning, send me the tactic as is right at this moment and let me know how you want to play, what you want to see etc and I will see if I can incorporate it into the tactic

hey bud :)

I just assisted veez the other day with his away from home tactic he was struggling with and changed his original tactic and its working a charm now..

if you want, I can look at yours as well and do the same thing?

meaning, send me the tactic as is right at this moment and let me know how you want to play, what you want to see etc and I will see if I can incorporate it into the tactic

Raikan007 that would be great bud.. i am going to be cheeky and make the most of your generous offer and send you 2 tactics if I can pretty please!

i will send them to you tonight as i am at work at the moment :)

many thanks in advance

Raikan007 that would be great bud.. i am going to be cheeky and make the most of your generous offer and send you 2 tactics if I can pretty please!

i will send them to you tonight as i am at work at the moment :)

many thanks in advance

hahhaa, cool mate :) I am off to JHB for a meeting tomorrow and will not be in, will only be back Monday, so if you dont hear from me, don't think I am ignoring you!

I will try work on them as soon as I can

Goldenboy, why would you quit playing 3 defenders? I love 3-5-2 as a tactic as it has an AMC working behind 2 strikers and it is solid in the back as well. In CM 01-02 you could buy Aghahowa and put him behind Tsigalko and To Madeira and win everything with the even the smallest team. I know tat a 3-5-2 tactic was not working in previous FM versions, so I wasn playing myself, but in this year version and after testing almost all formations (and also tactics in the forum) I have come to the conclusion that it works at least as good as 4-4-2,4-3-3,4-2-3-1 etc.And to be fair this should be the way it should be, as for example in FM12 there was no way you could play a 3-5-2 and come up with a result, while in real life Juventus and Napoli in Campionato were dominating. I also didn't understand why Italy in Euro, played with a 3-5-2 in the group stage against Spain and drawed, but in the final the played with a 4 man defence and conceded 4 goals :) Chears, please stick to the 3-5-2 or I will be left alone in this forum using it .Haha

haha i am not giving up just yet Kostasq!! in fact i will stick with it just because of you :) haaa

hahhaa, cool mate :) I am off to JHB for a meeting tomorrow and will not be in, will only be back Monday, so if you dont hear from me, don't think I am ignoring you!

no worries bud :)

Goldenboy, why would you quit playing 3 defenders? I love 3-5-2 as a tactic as it has an AMC working behind 2 strikers and it is solid in the back as well. In CM 01-02 you could buy Aghahowa and put him behind Tsigalko and To Madeira and win everything with the even the smallest team. I know tat a 3-5-2 tactic was not working in previous FM versions, so I wasn playing myself, but in this year version and after testing almost all formations (and also tactics in the forum) I have come to the conclusion that it works at least as good as 4-4-2,4-3-3,4-2-3-1 etc.And to be fair this should be the way it should be, as for example in FM12 there was no way you could play a 3-5-2 and come up with a result, while in real life Juventus and Napoli in Campionato were dominating. I also didn't understand why Italy in Euro, played with a 3-5-2 in the group stage against Spain and drawed, but in the final the played with a 4 man defence and conceded 4 goals :) Chears, please stick to the 3-5-2 or I will be left alone in this forum using it .Haha

how is your results looking now? update us all we are very keen to hear about it :)

Raikan007 just to give you an idea of how i wanna play:

3-5-2 Germany 1990

View attachment 288456

The system employs three central defenders with the centre most of these set as sweeper.
wide play and cover is provided by two wing backs.

The three central midfielders i have set up as Ball wining Midfield (support) and Deep Play maker (Defend). the AMC is set as Advance play maker attack

Two forwards well i usually almost every time; have one as a poacher and the other well sometimes DLP or Complete forward.

The problems

against 4-4-2

Against a 4-4-2, this provides excellent coverage. The wing backs can patrol the flanks and mark out the opposition wingers, i think i need them to provide deep crossing options of their own. The centre of the midfield is flooded, so should make it both easier to retain possession in midfield as well as denying the opposition space to work in the same area. it should offer a spare player in defence – a libero – and should mean the three defenders to cover the two forwards. The only players unmarked in the opposition’s 4-4-2 are the two full backs, but these should be harried by the 3-5-2’s strikers. Besides, if the full backs have nobody unmarked to pass to, they become redundant anyway. In effect, the traditional 4-4-2 gets completely overloaded through the centre of the park, while the 3-5-2’s wing backs also offer enough width on the attack.

against 4-5-1
First, both teams use three central midfielders – so the 3-5-2 loses the numerical advantage. Second, three men are expected to mark one striker – so one of the DCs becomes a spare part. Third, the use of attacking full backs means that the opposition has a two-v-one advantage down both flanks – exposing the weakness in the setup. Only the two-v-two battle between the 3-5-2’s forwards and the opposition centre backs remains. But with so many issues in the midfield and defense, would they ever get any service?

The results are really weird .. one game I win 4-1 then it 1-0 and then all of a sudden against a team i should be beating I lose 4-0 at home!

what type of players do you think this tactic should use, clearly good quick wing backs with good attacking and defensive skills and lots of stamina , but what about the rest?
should i go for typical German Players (i.e big strong good team work, rather than flair and technique?) - **by the way i am talking about old Germany not talking about the latest squad..**

what style? Rigid ? or fluid? passing short or direct? defensive line? etc.. etc...

this post is a reply to Raikan message but everyone is welcome to have an input ...

your thoughts are much appreciated :)

Raikan007 just to give you an idea of how i wanna play:

against 4-5-1
First, both teams use three central midfielders – so the 3-5-2 loses the numerical advantage. Second, three men are expected to mark one striker – so one of the DCs becomes a spare part. Third, the use of attacking full backs means that the opposition has a two-v-one advantage down both flanks – exposing the weakness in the setup. Only the two-v-two battle between the 3-5-2’s forwards and the opposition centre backs remains. But with so many issues in the midfield and defense, would they ever get any service?

The results are really weird .. one game I win 4-1 then it 1-0 and then all of a sudden against a team i should be beating I lose 4-0 at home!

what type of players do you think this tactic should use, clearly good quick wing backs with good attacking and defensive skills and lots of stamina , but what about the rest?
should i go for typical German Players (i.e big strong good team work, rather than flair and technique?) - **by the way i am talking about old Germany not talking about the latest squad..**

what style? Rigid ? or fluid? passing short or direct? defensive line? etc.. etc...

this post is a reply to Raikan message but everyone is welcome to have an input ...

your thoughts are much appreciated :)

When I played 3 at the back last year if the opposition played 1 up front I would change my tactics back to 41212...
I take alot of my tactical ideas from Marcelo Bielsa he is a bit old school so he always wants a spare man at the back... He kind of has two systems one with a 3 Man Central defense and one with 2 CBs... if a team plays two up top he uses the 3CBs and if 1CF he goes 2CBs and pushes the extra man into MF...

So I use to switch between 3412 and 41212 depending on whether the other team had 1 or 2 strikers...

Mr Hough's 3-5-2 tactics work quite well in the first patch when I tried it, the wingbacks had tons of assists and Johnson (in my LFC save,) finished the league with top assists. Maybe you could give it a try?

Mr Hough's 3-5-2 tactics work quite well in the first patch when I tried it, the wingbacks had tons of assists and Johnson (in my LFC save,) finished the league with top assists. Maybe you could give it a try?

sure i will take a look at it, does it work in the latest patch??

hey Raikan, did you get my message.. this is the post mate

how is your results looking now? update us all we are very keen to hear about it :)

Aston Villa is currently 4 in the league with 10 matches to go. I am playing now with Man Utd for the league Cup. Marrone is great at DMC (january transfer). And also Gabby CAN play DLF. Also peruzzi is a great addition at WBR (again January transfer). Ireland really can not play MC, maybe because of low positioning.

Oh no!!! I lost 4-3... I was 2-0 down, equalized, then 3-2 by Ronney on the 80th.3-3 with the Kick-off.Lost at 93th minute again by Rooney... ****! 3 assists by Peruzzi... So close...it is a shame.