Help with counter attacking tactic.

svaibhavlfc

Reaction score
I have created a counter attacking tactic to use it in away games against stronger opponents or in later stages of the game.

I am not that much of a tactical expert. So please let me know any "OBVIOUS" mistake I might have made.

Please also suggest any tweaks that you would make in this tactic.

This is the tactic:

View attachment 293451View attachment 293450

I am not using any OI.

I am playing Counter/ Structured.

Player instructions:

Goalkeeper : roll it out, distribute quickly.
Full Backs : shoot less oftem, pass short, stay wider.
Centre Backs :
pass short.
DM: pass short.
DLP: more direct passes.
AP:
more direct passes, move into channels.
Wingers:
more direct passes, mark tighter, mark opp. full backs.
DLF: None

Last edited:
Whats your mentality and structure?

I have created a counter attacking tactic to use it in away games against stronger opponents or in later stages of the game.

I am not that much of a tactical expert. So please let me know any "OBVIOUS" mistake I might have made.

This is the tactic:

View attachment 789873View attachment 789875

I am not using any OI.

Player instructions:

Centre Backs :
pass short.
AP:
Wingers:

Looking at your defenders player instructions it seems like you want to play possesion football. By asking them to pass it shorter means that the opposition will be back in shape before you actually get it to your attackers. The whole idea of countering is catching the opposition out of position.

Looking at your defenders player instructions it seems like you want to play possesion football. By asking them to pass it shorter means that the opposition will be back in shape before you actually get it to your attackers. The whole idea of countering is catching the opposition out of position.
That however is just my opinion.

it seems you have set things up for attack, not counter attack

sorry mate forgot to write that

Please guide me mate what in my setup makes you think so? will be highly aprreciated, Cheers.

well, the whole point of counter attacking is retaining possession and drawing opposition onto you, to create space behind them...you should play counter mentality with more fluid team shape and a supporting striker...the striker must be strong or agile, and either hold up the ball when he recieves it, or shuttle ball onto your wingers who will (stay narrow and close to him) and score...your attackers are that way instructed to retain possession and return the ball back, which will invite pressure upon you and pull opponents toward you, at which moment your backline sends a direct ball to attackers, who score...that way you use both shorter and direct passing, shorter to forwards, direct to defenders, which is how counter mentality sets it up....if you play direct and push up and wider and close down early, you are more likely to beat them into their own half, not invite them forward...your settings are great for attack or perhaps control mentality...

well, the whole point of counter attacking is retaining possession and drawing opposition onto you, to create space behind them...you should play counter mentality with more fluid team shape and a supporting striker...the striker must be strong or agile, and either hold up the ball when he recieves it, or shuttle ball onto your wingers who will (stay narrow and close to him) and score...your attackers are that way instructed to retain possession and return the ball back, which will invite pressure upon you and pull opponents toward you, at which moment your backline sends a direct ball to attackers, who score...that way you use both shorter and direct passing, shorter to forwards, direct to defenders, which is how counter mentality sets it up....if you play direct and push up and wider and close down early, you are more likely to beat them into their own half, not invite them forward...your settings are great for attack or perhaps control mentality...

Half right, the point is keeping your shape and formation, while the other team has possession, and pressing when you can win and attack fast, and direct. Line is deep, team is structured, and press in groups zonally (most of the time), the team then breaks when the ball is won, not when they have it already The way you have it, the team is moving the ball around in possesion to create the opening, thats working the ball into the box, not countering.

Half right, the point is keeping your shape and formation, while the other team has possession, and pressing when you can win and attack fast, and direct. Line is deep, team is structured, and press in groups zonally (most of the time), the team then breaks when the ball is won, not when they have it already The way you have it, the team is moving the ball around in possesion to create the opening, thats working the ball into the box, not countering.

Actually, counters can't be forced. they happen naturally when there is less then x players between you and the opposition goal. Until that happens, you are supposed to invite them onto you by retaining possession and backpassess....directness happens from defenders, when circumstances are met, and at which moment the tempo is high, otherwise it should be low. working ball into box occurs only if opposition refuses to commit players forward.

Actually, counters can't be forced. they happen naturally when there is less then x players between you and the opposition goal. Until that happens, you are supposed to invite them onto you by retaining possession and backpassess....directness happens from defenders, when circumstances are met, and at which moment the tempo is high, otherwise it should be low. working ball into box occurs only if opposition refuses to commit players forward.

You should tell every small team that goes to Old Trafford or any big club then...

Sorry but I disagree, counter attacking is when you invite the opponent onto your then attack the spaces they have left behind. If the counter is not on then obviously you will retain possession and look to build from there.

Running out of arguments?

Not really, just you get so many things wrong, its hard to keep up usually.

Any small club will sit deep, in shape without the ball in order to chase or wait for the mistake to counter, usually they will press from about 20-30 yards from goal. Happy to reliquish the lions share of the ball. Keeping gaps and the lines tight. Counters are started when the ball is won, hence the name. Forest in the 90's used to intentionally set up and play this way. Any of the bottom teams away against the top will as well. You dont need the majority of possesion to play counter attacking football.

Not really, just you get so many things wrong, its hard to keep up usually.

Any small club will sit deep, in shape without the ball in order to chase or wait for the mistake to counter, usually they will press from about 20-30 yards from goal. Happy to reliquish the lions share of the ball. Keeping gaps and the lines tight. Counters are started when the ball is won, hence the name. Forest in the 90's used to intentionally set up and play this way. Any of the bottom teams away against the top will as well. You dont need the majority of possesion to play counter attacking football.

Well, If you press, you wont invite opposition forward. Makes more sense to me to stand off if you want to keep shape and be tight. And keeping the ball will invite further pressure upon you, which is exactly what you want, space behind them. If they don't commit forward, your counter will obviously fail. Plus, direct passess and high tempo mean you are attacking, not striking the opponent when he is off balance, which is what I think counters should be. Mainly defending, attacking only when there is an opportunity to do so, on the break. If you want to press and make direct passes, then you are obviously attacking, not counter attacking. It is common to confuse the two...

Pressing happens in every game, with every team. Even the most counter attacking teams press when they see an opportunity to win the ball in a low risk situation, and then they break with pace. When I play with a counter strategy, I don't select a passing option: if you do this, a player will play a direct ball if there's one on for the counter, if not, it'll be low risk. And playing direct and fast isn't just exclusive to attacking.

This is the tactic:

View attachment 789873View attachment 789875

I am not using any OI.

Player instructions:

Centre Backs :
pass short.
AP:
Wingers:

Have you thought about how you want to play?

You obviously want to counter attack, but how? Flanks? Middle? Will it revolve around one outlet creates/plays others in?

How do you see yourself defending? Sit deep and keep shape?

How do you want to use the ball if a counter attack isn't on or the counter breaks down?

Again, how do you see the tactic working or (to put it another way) what's the idea behind the formation, roles, duties and instructions you chose? You need to know this.

Have you tried the tactic out? Anything you're not happy with or that isn't working the way you want it to?

Roles and duties

I havent' had much success with an AP in counter tactics, I find that he holds the ball too much. On the other hand he tracks back quite a bit to link up with your DMs. Watch out for Coutinho PPMS though, you need your AMC to drop deep in order to keep some presence in the midfield.

I would change the DLP from defend to support duty. You already have a DM staying deep and protecting the defense, on support the DLP will link up more with the midfield.

Not sure about the DLF. I would rather use a player that doesn't drop that deep and stays high to receive the crosses your wingers will make. AF maybe? You already have a supporting player behind him, you can afford to play a straigt up number 9.

TIs

Why run at defense ? I find this TI to work best against teams that play with a low and compact defensive line.

Not sure about play wider either, I usually use play narrower in counter tactics. You already leave the other team a lot of space by droping deeper, if you also create gaps by playing wider it might ecome problematic.

Shorten the passes (unchecked or short) and uncheck exploit the flanks, using it means no off the ball from wingers which I believe you don't want it, use more central roles to flanks like IFs, (kinda like arsenal),either bring your wingers to mr/ml positions or use PI "close down less / much less" (that's an either or, depending on how the player reacts and if you want someone sitting to a more attacking position - you could also use support role to one side and just leave a duo up front - it's more than enough imo). I like the rest and completely disagree on changing them.