Help with creating Tactics (use of counter attack)

xaviesta

Reaction score
I always get myself confused when creating myself a tactic, especially with the option to tick 'counter attack' and also the target man ball/feet thing.

Now when i think of counter attacking, i think defending deep & narrow & springing on the break, but most tactics i've downloaded are attacking tactics with the box ticked.

So i want to create a tactic for myself with AC Milan & i usually like a possesion/short passing style which is similar to them in real life (not an overkill on possesion like Barcelona) so with a short/slow & i guess narrow game, would you tick the counter attacking option?

Again it always throws me off when creating tactics, the only time when i know to use it is if i'm managing a poor team.

If you use the Tactics Creator and choose the counter strategy you will have a slow and narrow game with counter attacking ticked. Use press more and push up higher to get the defensive line up.

You would then have a tactic that is patient and probing in possession and will look to counter when the chance arises.

That sounds like what you want.

Would depend on you, having it ticked is nice because it can lead to some easy goals.
It can also just give away possession if you don't have the players for it, playing with it on will override whatever tempo/passing style you're using at times which can lead to less than ideal play.
But if like to keep the ball under control at all times, don't tick it.