High Scoring 2-4-2-2 (5 seasons, 5 promotions)

GK - sweeper keeper
Key attributes: acceleration, pace, rushing out, one on ones. Good stopping shots. Let your defenders take care of those crosses.
WB - very attacking
Key attributes: acceleration, pace, tackling and technical attributes. Doesn´t need the heading
DCR - cover defender
Key attributes: acceleration, pace, heading, tackling, positioning. The ususal ones.
DCL - stopper
Key attributes: heading, tackling, positioning, marking. The rock of your defence. Also scores from corners a lot. (42 games 26 goals)
DMCs - ball winning MDs/deep laying playmaker
Key attributes: passing, tackling, positioning, decisions, creativity. Box to Box mds.
AMCs - Inside forwards
Key attributes: technique, passing, long shots, dribbling, pace, finishing, composure, creativity.
STCs - poachers
Key attributes: technical attributes, pace, acceleration, finishing, composure.

If possible try to find players who try killer balls, and strikers who runs with ball through the middle. Avoid the ones who try to play the ball way out of trouble and hugs lines.
Keep the thinks simple and you soon find out who fits this tactic and who doesn´t.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Looks very interesting, I'd give it a go but my wingers can't play as wingbacks and I wouldn't want to put them on the bench. A very similar tactic (also based on Brazil) can be found here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/247257-Brazilian-Tactics-Discussion-Thread It got mixed reviews. I don't think the OP is cheating...really 10 saves a month isn't that much. Considering that often times there are 5-6 games a month with cup games and all, if he wanted to re-load it every time he lost there would be more saves. There was another guy here (the thread was called 'a really crazy FM season' or something like that) who made a very good tactic (others tested it and said it worked great) but used the save trick to get himself great results to get attention for it. I think he had a lot more saves though, and his tactic was very good.

Since you've been playing this game for awhile and seem to be good with tactics and successfully made a tactic with two AMC's, do you have any advice on creating a tactic with two attacking midfielders and wide midfielders? I am trying to make a 4-3-2-1 with two wide midfielders, a CM and two AMC's (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f103/help-with-my-4-3-2-1-with-independiente-t61033.html) and asked for help, the one guy that did give me a hand couldn't figure out how to make it work (basically suggested I use another formation). Maybe I could make it work by moving the CM back to the DM position. Anyways, let me know if you have any advice.

Actually I had that same problem and it can be solved by retraining your wingers to become WBs as they have almost the same attributes. Here the WBs just aim to cut down any counter attacks and the DCs and DMs are responsible for the defense.

GK - sweeper keeper
Key attributes: acceleration, pace, rushing out, one on ones. Good stopping shots. Let your defenders take care of those crosses.
WB - very attacking
Key attributes: acceleration, pace, tackling and technical attributes. Doesn´t need the heading
DCR - cover defender
Key attributes: acceleration, pace, heading, tackling, positioning. The ususal ones.
DCL - stopper
Key attributes: heading, tackling, positioning, marking. The rock of your defence. Also scores from corners a lot. (42 games 26 goals)
DMCs - ball winning MDs/deep laying playmaker
Key attributes: passing, tackling, positioning, decisions, creativity. Box to Box mds.
AMCs - Inside forwards
Key attributes: technique, passing, long shots, dribbling, pace, finishing, composure, creativity.
STCs - poachers
Key attributes: technical attributes, pace, acceleration, finishing, composure.

If possible try to find players who try killer balls, and strikers who runs with ball through the middle. Avoid the ones who try to play the ball way out of trouble and hugs lines.
Keep the thinks simple and you soon find out who fits this tactic and who doesn´t.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Actually I had that same problem and it can be solved by retraining your wingers to become WBs as they have almost the same attributes. Here the WBs just aim to cut down any counter attacks and the DCs and DMs are responsible for the defense.

Any other suggestions? The clausura (closing stage) is about to start and none of my wingers know how to play WB at all. My job is on the line (status: 'very insecure') so I don't really have time for them to learn.

Any other suggestions? The clausura (closing stage) is about to start and none of my wingers know how to play WB at all. My job is on the line (status: 'very insecure') so I don't really have time for them to learn.

Well in my opinion it is much harder to score from crosses and attacks which come from the flanks in FM 2011 than in the earlier versions so I don´t recommend trying it. This was the same with FM 2010

Last edited:
sorry mate but do u reckon u could make your OP more informative, such as adding more screenshots, attributes necessary for each player to have etc.

Here is one great example of this tactic. Me agains Sevilla. Odds Sevilla 1.57 Draw 3.50 Me 5.00
They had the overall possession and the set pieces were almost the same. I had 7 CCC and most of them I created by counter attacking. I had some bad luck in front of De Geas net but I think 3 away goals are ok from the underdogs. By the way my starting elevens average age was 20.6

Awesome formation! Started a new game with Liverpool and have only played with this tactic. Currently undefeated... 19 wins and 2 draws.
GK Pepe Reina
DCL Martin Skrtel
DCR Daniel Agger
WBR Darijo Srna
WBL Juan Manuel Vargas
DMCR Steven Gerrard
DMCL Raul Meireles
AMCR Alexis Sanchez
AMCL Luis Suarez
STCR Andy Carroll
STCL Gabby Agbonlahor

Carroll scored 10 in 12 games and Agbonlahor is 8 in 13 games. Also only conceded 9 goals in 21 games... considering you only play with 2 defenders i didn't think it was too bad. Scored 61 goals in those 21 games as well.

You need to have 2 pacey strikers, hence why Agbonlahor is so good. 2 wing backs with very high stamina and i'm currently training up Sanchez and Suarez to improve their long shots. I admit to fit my players into this formation I am having to put the pressure on in training but it is well worth it.

Give it a try... What have you got to lose!

Awesome formation! Started a new game with Liverpool and have only played with this tactic. Currently undefeated... 19 wins and 2 draws.
GK Pepe Reina
DCL Martin Skrtel
DCR Daniel Agger
WBR Darijo Srna
WBL Juan Manuel Vargas
DMCR Steven Gerrard
DMCL Raul Meireles
AMCR Alexis Sanchez
AMCL Luis Suarez
STCR Andy Carroll
STCL Gabby Agbonlahor

Carroll scored 10 in 12 games and Agbonlahor is 8 in 13 games. Also only conceded 9 goals in 21 games... considering you only play with 2 defenders i didn't think it was too bad. Scored 61 goals in those 21 games as well.

You need to have 2 pacey strikers, hence why Agbonlahor is so good. 2 wing backs with very high stamina and i'm currently training up Sanchez and Suarez to improve their long shots. I admit to fit my players into this formation I am having to put the pressure on in training but it is well worth it.

Give it a try... What have you got to lose!

wich patch r u using mate?

wich patch r u using mate?

That was using 11.2 but has updated now so therefore using 11.3

Just to update you all. Still top of the Premiership but have lost a few games.

Played 27, Won 21, Drawn 3, Lost 3, Scored 65, Conceded 21.

All defeats have come against top class opposition (Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd)

I have found that if I am only 1 up at half time it is worth dropping the two wing backs back to full back and the 2 attacking midfielders back to midfield. At that point go to Retain Possession, Pass to Feet & Drop Deeper.

To get this formation to work you need to stick with it. Cannot emphasise enough about the strikers having high pace. Makes such a difference!

(6)