High Tempo/High Pressing/Quick Transitional Play [Bielsa/Sampaoli Inspired Tactic]

manutd7182

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Or.. whoever I've managed to gain the attention of.... So I've been lurking around the forum for some time and have been trying people's tactics as well as 'attempting' to create my own. And haven't had as significant success as some of the veteran plays here. Think a couple of my previous posts have rot away somewhere in this forum.

So.. after the craze I went through over Tiki Taka and Dortmund's CounterPressing (I'm still a big fan), I've started to vision how I would want my team to play if I was an actual manager, and I've been impressed with how Chile played during the World Cup. Strong attacking play, Direct play whilst knowing how to keep the ball, breaking in pace, defend together, attack together... yep, that's pretty much how I would want my team to play. So hence, I've developed a tactic that's somewhat represent the style that I want to play. Well... I've had some success with it so thought.. why not post another tactic here to see what results you guys can achieve with it. But anyway, enough of my blabbering. Let's get down to business.

The Bielsa/Sampaoli Inspired Tactic

So, I've actually developed two variants of this tactic, depending on how the opposition play and line up. But the style remains the same, hence the team instructions would be the same for these two variants of this tactic.

View attachment 357160View attachment 357159

When to use which tactic?

So, like I've mentioned above, depending on how the opposition plays. Adapting to the opposition's tactics was how Sampaoli like to play and it was clearly a Bielsa influence. If, the opposition used 2 strikers, Sampaoli/Bielsa would play 3 at the back. Hence that's what I used when playing against opposition with 2 strikers. If playing against a lone striker, I would stick with a flat back 4. In this case, the Bielsa/Sampaoli style is always having a spare man in the back. Hence I have a CD - Cover in my back 3, and a Half Back with the back 4. They act as the spare man in this tactic.

Style of Play

Sampaoli's Chile were often dubbed as the 'South American Barcelona' and I guess I could see why.. since some aspects of the play were quite similar and they based around these principles.

- Possession
- Building up the attack from the back
- Pressing
- Spare man in defence
- Fluid rotational movement

And I've adapted these aspects in to my tactic, as seen above in the Team Instructions section.

Fluid - Allows the players to be involved with all the Defence, Transitional and Attacking phase

But what set this tactic apart from the Barcelona way, is the fast paced and the disciplined manner as well as the strong wing play that stretches the opposition. Hence the Higher Tempo and Play Wider instruction that is incorporated.

The Player's Roles

The Defence:

Sweeper Keeper: Pass It Shorter, Distribute to Defenders

The person who begins the build up from the back, plays the ball short to its defence; as well as picking up balls played through the defence or over the defence.

Ball Playing Defender: Pass It Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes

Defend Duty: With 3 at the back, the BPD with the Defend duty will press more, playing splitting passes when the occasion rises and laying the ball off to the creative players for the quick transitional attacks.

Cover Duty: When in a back 4, they will be more reserved than the Defend duty. Holding back a bit more but still playing the splitting pass to start an attack.

Central Defender: Pass it Shorter

The spare man in the back 3. Will be slightly deeper in comparison to his other 2 partners and sweeping any through balls and balls played over the top by the opposition. Whilst the 2 BPD's will be more aggressive, he will be the cover in the back line.

Complete Wing Back: Shoot Less Often, Run Wide With Ball, Fewer Risky Passes, Stay Wider, Close Down More, Pass it Shorter

The marauding wing backs in the team, supplying the attacking players with crosses, providing the width and stretching the opposition whilst getting in to advanced positions in order provide the support in the attack. Attacking attributes is a must but they must be able to defend and form a back 4 or 5 whilst in defending situations.

Half Back: Pass it Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes, Shoot Less Often

The spare man in the 4-3-3/4-1-2-2-1 formation. The shield of the back 4. He will become part of a back 5 in defensive situations. Picking up the ball from the defence and laying the ball to his creative team mates.

The Midfield:

Box to Box Midfielder: Pass it Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes

The Arturo Vidal role, involved in all Defence, Support and Attack. He will be part of the nucleus in the team along with his partner in midfield. The guy who is strong in midfield, not just able to win the ball in midfield or anywhere on the pitch, but able to fashion up something for his attacking team mates.

Advanced Playmaker: More Direct Passes, Roam From Position

Like his role suggests, the playmaker in the team, finding that killer pass for the quick transition and try to be effective everywhere on the pitch, finding that space and unlock the opposition defence.

The Attack:

Inside Forward: Pass it Shorter, Sit Narrower, Fewer Risky Passes, Get Further Forward

Part of the attacking 3 along with the striker. Will sit slightly more centrally to allow the marauding wing backs to provide the width. He will get in the box and chip in with goals and assists. Get further forward to allow the Inside Forward to attack the space often vacated by the striker.

False 9: Roam From Position, More Direct Passes, Shoot Less Often

The focal point of the attacking trio. He will drift in space, looking for the ball and drag the opposition defence with him, allowing space for the Inside Forward and Wing Backs to attack. He won't just fashion chances for others but he is also a goal threat as well. Be providing defence splitting passes as well as scoring goals himself.

What sort of players will be required?

I always believed hard working players will work for any tactic. High team work and work rate will be a must. It's not about the one player but the entire team. Players with high technical ability would help as well. Since this tactic requires fluid movement from the players as well as able to fashion chances from anywhere on the pitch so creativity in the midfield and the False 9 would be a must. Finally... since quick transition is a key to this tactic, pace will be required. Fast players all over the pitch. More so in defence and for the Inside Forward. Need to defend as quick as you can attack. A key element to make this tactic work to its full potential.

Training and Opposition Instructions

Pre Season: Focus: Tactics Match Training: Tactics Only Intensity: High
During Season: Focus: Balanced Match Training: Attacking Movement Intensity: Average

Opposition Instruction: None

What if someone gets sent off?

I'm afraid I always take the striker off and replace it with the position that needs filling. This way, I believe the team stays compact and as a unit. The attacking threat may be lowered slightly but being disciplined and limit the opposition is just as important.

What if the Opposition is getting more shots and ball possession?

Change to the other tactic. When I find the team to be dominating slightly. I just change to the other tactic. The difference between the 2 tactics is just where the spare man is played. And sometimes, pulling the spare man and pushing the spare man up can just be the difference. Or it has worked for me, helping me to nick a goal for the win or earn a draw.​

Results

View attachment 357189View attachment 357188View attachment 357187

(Yes, I've been using Manchester United, well.. since.. it's the team I love.)

First season in actually sort of.. perfected the tactic. It's worked.. surprisingly well for me. Won everything club football had to offer... well just about since I had a few lucky breaks and controversial moments.

View attachment 357186

Used this tactic with England as well. No way near fluid and already had positive results. Provided that I haven't played any of the big nations yet. But it's positive so far.

Match Results

Manchester United 8-0 Liverpool

View attachment 357184View attachment 357183View attachment 357182

Manchester United 5-2 Arsenal

View attachment 357181View attachment 357180View attachment 357179

Porto 1-2 Manchester United

View attachment 357178View attachment 357177View attachment 357176

Manchester United 5-0 Everton

View attachment 357174View attachment 357173View attachment 357172

Manchester United 2-0 Barcelona

View attachment 357171View attachment 357170View attachment 357168

Barcelona 1-3 Manchester United

View attachment 357165View attachment 357164View attachment 357163

So, judging from the results and the screens that I have provided, it has shown the pressing aspect of the tactic as well as elements of keeping the ball and being able to dominate opponents with waves and waves of attacking play. Most of the time you will have the majority of the ball possession as well as the shot count. As for the Barcelona 1-3 Man Utd result, well.... we had much more shots on target and at the Nou Camp against Barca, you may not be the team with the possession. But as Gary Neville says 'It's not about having the most possession, it's what you do with it' and.. I believe I think I've shown it there.

Finally! Here is this the tactic. I'm happy with any comments you can give and help me improve in areas that you guys have found that can be improved. Thanks for your time and hoping any feedback soon.

View attachment 357162
View attachment 357161

NICE JOB!
I'm fan about dogmatic bielsa/sampaoli philosophy.
if during the match the opposition change and plays with 2 strikers do you change too ?

NICE JOB!
I'm fan about dogmatic bielsa/sampaoli philosophy.
if during the match the opposition change and plays with 2 strikers do you change too ?

Thanks man, and yes, I do adjust to how the opposition plays during the match. After all, even in real life and in game, the opposition won't play the same way.

would this work for liverpool? if so which tactic?

Use both tactics. The style is the same. The 3 at the back is for oppositions who plays 2 strikers and the flat back 4 is for oppositions who play a lone striker. And it should work for Liverpool. I believe it will in fact.

i tried it with stade de reims l1 french...i think it's for top club cause my results aren't very good and not much ccc's for me ..... i will test it more.

i tried it with stade de reims l1 french...i think it's for top club cause my results aren't very good and not much ccc's for me ..... i will test it more.

Any screenshots of your matches? How fluid is the tactic by the way?

Ok thanx! :) One more question, how high do you use match preparation, 30-40% ? not that i think it matters that much but who knows :)

I usually keep it around that area 30/40%. Although I don't think that matters as such.