ryanjames

Reaction score
Haha.. Basically how would you set up formation, players roles wise how van gaal did tonight to destroy Spain ??

5-3-2

Cillessen GK(d)
De Vrij CB (c) - Vlaar CB(x) - Martins-Indi CB(c)
Janmaat WB(a) - Blind WB(s)
De Jong CM(d) - De Guzman AP (s)
Sniejder EG(a)
RVP CF(a) - Robben T(a)

Just a quick guess really.

Basically, when you look at the space there was between the midfield and the strikers, he used 3 Strikers (or more so 1 striker up top and 2 what would be SS in the game), 2 DMC, 2 WB, 3 CB. The 3 forward players interchanged a lot and so were hard to tie down. They always had 2 midfielders stay back who cleared out any balls and they played very directly. It was a cery simple formula with just some fantastic performances

Don't forget the 12th player the Dutch had, Fernando Torres. He helped Holland's defense by not being able to score or make any runs.

3KF9swB.jpg

Yeah, I'd say the shape of that is probably what I'd have said too. Maybe the roles would be VP (AF), Robben (SS), Schneider (AP) de Guzman (DLP support), de Jong (DM support), Blind (WB support), Janmaat (FB support) All CB's on CD. I find defenders on this naturally close down and so the stopper instruction isn't needed. I feel the shape of this is what I'd think and that would be my idea of what roles would simulate on FM. I think Schneider would be on attack role but didn't get forward as much as the attack role instructs on FM. Maybe even having Schneider on the MC position as an attacking AP?

You're probably writing Schneider on purpose, because it's clearly Sneijder.

Yeah, I'd say the shape of that is probably what I'd have said too. Maybe the roles would be VP (AF), Robben (SS), Schneider (AP) de Guzman (DLP support), de Jong (DM support), Blind (WB support), Janmaat (FB support) All CB's on CD. I find defenders on this naturally close down and so the stopper instruction isn't needed. I feel the shape of this is what I'd think and that would be my idea of what roles would simulate on FM. I think Schneider would be on attack role but didn't get forward as much as the attack role instructs on FM. Maybe even having Schneider on the MC position as an attacking AP?
That's how I have my tac set up im creating on FM struggling with team/player inst atm playing as UTD any help please mate especialy with team ones?

Cheers for the input. What about team instructions are you lot thinking ??

I was misspelling it but what a great contribution...anyways, I'm playing with Spurs (as it's my favourite team) and what I wrote above seems to play fairly well and similar to the way Holland played. Obviously made a few changes to TRY and make it work with the game. I'm playing;

Soldado (AF)
Lamela (SS)

Dembele (CM att) Eriksen (AP att)

Paulinho DM (supp)
Rose WB (supp)
Vertonghen (CD) Dawson (CD) Kaboul (CD) Walker (FB supp)

Walker has get forward more often and so he naturally plays a bit higher up the pitch. Lamela is playing the Robben role and eriksen as the Sneijder role, with Lamela having run will ball often and all midfielders and both FB/WB have close down more often and hard tackling. Lamela and Soldado have moves into channels and Lamela, soldado, Eriksen have roams from position. Only using get stuck in and hassle opponents as team instructions. That's it. Only playing Tavria in the first friendly and posting after half time where I'm 3-0 up. They've had only one shot off target and I've had 4 on target, 3 off target, 2 CCC and 52% poss

If anyone has some set piece set up then that would be great. Can never work out how to get the best set pieces on this version. Obviously making the most out of the 3 CB's. If you watch the replay of the goal Holland scored from the free kick, all CB's seemed to run in towards the back post and at the keeper, along with VP. They also had 2 players outside the edge of the box to sweep up any balls

I was misspelling it but what a great contribution...anyways, I'm playing with Spurs (as it's my favourite team) and what I wrote above seems to play fairly well and similar to the way Holland played. Obviously made a few changes to TRY and make it work with the game. I'm playing;

Soldado (AF)
Lamela (SS)

Dembele (CM att) Eriksen (AP att)

Paulinho DM (supp)
Rose WB (supp)
Vertonghen (CD) Dawson (CD) Kaboul (CD) Walker (FB supp)

Walker has get forward more often and so he naturally plays a bit higher up the pitch. Lamela is playing the Robben role and eriksen as the Sneijder role, with Lamela having run will ball often and all midfielders and both FB/WB have close down more often and hard tackling. Lamela and Soldado have moves into channels and Lamela, soldado, Eriksen have roams from position. Only using get stuck in and hassle opponents as team instructions. That's it. Only playing Tavria in the first friendly and posting after half time where I'm 3-0 up. They've had only one shot off target and I've had 4 on target, 3 off target, 2 CCC and 52% poss
Sounds good will set up finish setting up my tac then post later how its going.

So far I have team instructions- high tempo,be more disciplined,get stuck in,hassle opponents,drill crosses and more direct.

Yeah, Holland definitely played more direct and so that's how I'd say the instructions would be if you wanted to be more pure to recreating the tactic, but I left it blank just to make it work more with FM. Also, Holland didn't play with midfielders making lots of runs into the box but I think having one CM attack works better on FM to give a bit more bite in attack. The important thing to try and recreate is the defensive solidity of the Holland tactic and so I think having 3 CB's, 2 FB'WB support and at least one DM support will give that

This tactic employed by LVG was a one off, normally he's the one trying to play like Spain did, but he knew Spain would have more of the ball so had to be effective off it, thus using a more direct style. However, the way they played against Spain was remarkable, but in the second half, there was slightly more of the real LVG style played.

This tactic employed by LVG was a one off, normally he's the one trying to play like Spain did, but he knew Spain would have more of the ball so had to be effective off it, thus using a more direct style. However, the way they played against Spain was remarkable, but in the second half, there was slightly more of the real LVG style played.

I completely agree. I think the original plan was to be defensively solid and rely tottaly on the 3 attacking players to try nick a goal and just not get flattened in defence. I think the whole idea was to use the CB's to be a threat on set pieces but it was only for some remarkable performances that the end result turned out like it did. You watch the highlights and more often than not Holland's chances came from direct play and mistakes

I completely agree. I think the original plan was to be defensively solid and rely tottaly on the 3 attacking players to try nick a goal and just not get flattened in defence. I think the whole idea was to use the CB's to be a threat on set pieces but it was only for some remarkable performances that the end result turned out like it did. You watch the highlights and more often than not Holland's chances came from direct play and mistakes

Definitely. They were definitely playing to be level at half-time and then maybe try and express themselves more in the second half. But Ramos and Pique were terrible as was Casillas, plus the FBs didn't track back enough. But the 3 man defence plus supporting WBs had a wonderful game which Spain struggled to play through.

Just played 1st friendly against Roma destroyed them 5-1 had 18 shots with 11 on target to there 2 shots non on target. 6 CCCs to there non, my defenders look threat from set pieces scoring 2 gls. only thing is I had 1% less possesion than them, my wingbacks get lots crosses in but my CM AP is key with my SS.

Just played 1st friendly against Roma destroyed them 5-1 had 18 shots with 11 on target to there 2 shots non on target. 6 CCCs to there non, my defenders look threat from set pieces scoring 2 gls. only thing is I had 1% less possesion than them, my wingbacks get lots crosses in but my CM AP is key with my SS.

The tactic isn't a possession tactic, especially if you play how Holland did and play directly. Glad it seemed to work for you though :) Seems to work for me too. I'm experimenting with having 'hold position' on the CM attack, which seems to instruct him to hang outside the box a little more, and also 'roam from position' on the AP...buuuut the AP seems to play really well anyways. I play with the AP attack role in a cm position, btw. The only issue I have is that the **** WB/FB always come in too narrow to mark the striker and leave acres of space on the wings or a winger free. This isn't the tactic though and I feel more a pre-set instruction in the match engine.

Have you changed the set pieces from the default? I'm trying to work out if far post or near post is more potent...although, I have a feeling that Holland would have had the CB's all attacking from deep, if applying it to the FM instructions. If I could stop the f'ing WBs coming in narrow I'd be pretty pleased with how it plays :)