Horror/Survival Horror Games!

Kris

Reaction score
Basically this thread is many a thing, a statement, a rant, my opinion and a general request.

Survival horror games are a rare and some what poor standard of computer game and one which I would love to see change.

Long gone are the days of the first Resident Evil, which at the time, scared the **** out of me!. The newest version of the game was more of a third person shooter/thriller than a horror game.

I feel that mass amounts of weapons and ammunition are ruining the feel of a horror game. Of course I’m not going to be afraid or nervous about turning a corner if I have a full arsenal at my disposal.

I would love to see a survival horror without weapons, where you have to hide and sneak around to avoid danger. It needs to be dark, creepy and slow paced. Using your head in a panic situation would be much better and would add much more panic than ploughing down 1000 zombies that are racing at you.

Doom 3 is an example of a good scary game. mainly because its pitch black and you have one choice, flash light or weapon…and with things rushing at you, it can be jumpy.

Half Life 2’s chapter ‘We don’t go to Ravenholm’ is another example I wanted to use on a good survival horror concept. The previous chapter ends with Alyx Vance telling Gordon Freeman that they no longer use the tunnel to Ravenholm. The Door to the tunnel is bolded shut. Circumstances force you into using this tunnel, which sets the mood that something is wrong. As soon as you arrive you are met with a body hanging from a tree and some spooky music. The level is constant darkness, ammunition is very rare, zombies are very frequent and sometimes arrive in packs and navigation is difficult due to the open nature of the level.

Being forced to find other means of killing the zombie’s is a challenge and a lot more frightening than shooting them from distance.

Another example is Alan Wake. The shadows in Alan Wake are rather difficult to kill, ammunition is scarce and sometimes unavailable, forcing you to stay in the light. The screen often goes fuzzy, adding creepy voices and the ‘I’m alone in the woods, something could appear from anywhere’ feel to it. The only downside was that the game often informed you when someone appeared. Sort of defeats the purpose?

Does anyone know of any good survival horror or just games that are plain scary that I can check out? Do you agree with my views? I would love to hear more opinions.

Kris

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYeCwtksTgU"]YouTube - Amnesia: The Dark Descent Video Review[/ame]

Last edited:

beat me to it! I haven't got it but my friend got it and it's meant to be one of the scariest games ever made. You get no weapons so you have to hide from monsters, you have a lamp but you constantly need to find oil otherwise you can't see and the soundtrack adds hugely to the atmosphere (screams in the background etc). He can barely play it it's so scary. Even better for you it's in the steam sales for another couple of hours (£4.42). Better hurry!

i know its not quite the same but the first manhunt was good for sneaking, and keeping you on edge.

tried the fear games too? they get abit scary at points

I want to watch that Amnesia video but it seems very scary according to dreaper...

Its not the scariest but I liked Fear 2, alot of jumpy bits lol.

Drake Uncharted. It isn't supposed to be a survival horror however these strange zombies come out of nowhere and there is loads of them. I scream quite a lot and these zombies coming out of nowhere really damaged my self esteem and my dignity :p

Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising FTW :D

Thanks but i'm assuming you didn't read my OP?

Although Left 4 Dead is an excellent idea and a great concept for muliplayer play, it lacks the story and isn't really something you can play on your own.

I also don't want a game where I can just mow down zombies left and right.

Dead Rising is just a bit...pointless. Or the first one was at least, can't comment on the second.

Dead Space. One of the scariest games i've ever played. Made me jump so much, like the original Resident Evil.

Drake Uncharted. It isn't supposed to be a survival horror however these strange zombies come out of nowhere and there is loads of them. I scream quite a lot and these zombies coming out of nowhere really damaged my self esteem and my dignity :p

Uncharted is not a horror game at all :S.

beat me to it! I haven't got it but my friend got it and it's meant to be one of the scariest games ever made. You get no weapons so you have to hide from monsters, you have a lamp but you constantly need to find oil otherwise you can't see and the soundtrack adds hugely to the atmosphere (screams in the background etc). He can barely play it it's so scary. Even better for you it's in the steam sales for another couple of hours (£4.42). Better hurry!

*Cough*Steam Salesman*Cough*

Resident evil 5

Drake Uncharted felt like a horror game because the zombies were so scary :'(

*Cough*Steam Salesman*Cough*

Resident evil 5

I'm just saying that it fits what Kris is looking for perfectly and it is also on sale for £4 so it's worth a punt really. ;) Also Res 5 is a **** game :p

Lol, Resident Evil 5 is ****, I played for 5 minute and got bored of the zombies which weren't even scary at all.