Houllier position safe at Villa

Gross did a amazing job with Basel in 10 years on bench . And he came to Stuttgart last season, in December . He came to save Stuttgart from position what they have right now, and he did a superb job . 13 Wins, 4 Draws and 2 losses in Bundesliga ... he made poor start of season and got sacked immediately, very stupid decision by Stuttgart's board ...

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

I really don't get the high praise for Villas-Boas... But I especially don't get the "next Mourinho" thing. I might eat my words, and feel free to quote them if I do, but he won't ammount to much outside of Porto, and he is definitely no Mourinho.

" next Mourinho " thing is because of his result, one loss in 30 games with Porto which didn't pose any threat to Benfica last season. And definetly because of his years, one of the youngest managers in the world . He is even 6 years younger then Mourinho when he was in Porto ...

" next Mourinho " thing is because of his result, one loss in 30 games with Porto which didn't pose any threat to Benfica last season. And definetly because of his years, one of the youngest managers in the world . He is even 6 years younger then Mourinho when he was in Porto ...
Mourinho built his team though, whislt AVB had that part pretty much covered. I will concede to him slotting Moutinho in the squad and turning him into a key player, still I stick by what I said, I don't believe he has the potential to be a new Mourinho.

Can't believe his position is even under scrutany.. He's only just started the job at a club that this season would be lucky to reach the top 10. The problem with Villa is they have a lot of mediocre English players.. And English players means huge fee's and huge wages, I totally agree with Houllier for wanted to ship out the dead wood from Villa but he needs to be given more time. Villa won't be relegated, and I really think Houllier should be given time.

I really don't get the high praise for Villas-Boas... But I especially don't get the "next Mourinho" thing. I might eat my words, and feel free to quote them if I do, but he won't ammount to much outside of Porto, and he is definitely no Mourinho.

Don't you dare. :wub:

Can't believe his position is even under scrutany.. He's only just started the job at a club that this season would be lucky to reach the top 10. The problem with Villa is they have a lot of mediocre English players.. And English players means huge fee's and huge wages, I totally agree with Houllier for wanted to ship out the dead wood from Villa but he needs to be given more time. Villa won't be relegated, and I really think Houllier should be given time.

He hasn't got too many mediocre players, and he fielded a side last night which was built on last seasons starting line up, the exceptions being Clark in for Warnock, Cuellar playing at right back for Young (although he was played there a lot under MON, Heskey playing ahead of Gabby and NRC instead of Milner.

We lack morale and it's partly Houllier's fault, he has sapped it with his regimes and arguing with senior players, he has alienated a huge amount of our squad and Stephen Ireland is a big talking point, he had some promise from his Man City days, admittedly he has been woeful this season but Houllier made some harsh criticisms of him to the press within about a month of him joining the club and maybe 2 months of Ireland joining the club. He now has no confidence and very little chance of a future at our club, and for that, a knock down price tag.

I'm fed up of Houllier's tactics too, he's not playing to our strengths eg. Wing play and counter attacking. It's costing us, a majority of Villa fans are getting sick of him and they are who keep the club ticking over, if we didn't pay to sit in Villa Park the club would have no reason to exist, Lerner has to keep us happy and to make us happy Houllier has to go, it's the way it is.

You manage to turn us over on the 16th, the man will be a messiah.

You manage to turn us over on the 16th, the man will be a messiah.

We can all dream, your just making sure you don't get complacent :p
I've not got this much abuse from Blues fans since Enckelman

We can all dream, your just making sure you don't get complacent :p
I've not got this much abuse from Blues fans since Enckelman

Im never complacent. Im a Blues fan, what is there to be complacent about?!

Football has a habit of biting you in the **** pretty hard, iv not rubbed anything in, or said anything at all regarding the situation as it stands.

You won't finish there, you will no doubt recover and be the top finished Birmingham side once again.

I just know the way most the villa fans i know work, you manage to beat us, he will be a legend, because they're just that fickle.

although there are a rare few that aren't :$

He'll be a legend for the banter maybe, that's all i'd ever call him a legend for, just to wind Blues fans up even more.
I'd claim to be one of those fans that are not fickle, I did not expect anything more than a finish 9-12th this season, it is one of rebuilding but still he has a strong squad and promising youngsters and great facilities. We shouldn't be 18th, we're far too strong for that at least.

I'd like to think we won't finish in the bottom 3 this season but based on some of the performance i've seen this season we would probably deserve it if you think about some of Wolves' strong shows but still losing out. I also think his training is a bit ridiculous, he's treated the players like children, they aren't allowed mobile phones at training and they have to pretty much register when they haven't got anything to do, they are not kids and they are not responding well to being treated like they are.

Football sure is biting us in the **** hard this season, 3 good seasons under O'Neill and now we're getting some payback, I can only hope to some divine power that we get out of this rot quickly

You can't say too strong for where you are, how many teams that have looked too big, too good, and too strong have gone before. You are where you are because you deserve to be. Although two wins and your in the top half XD

You won't finish there, not even close imo, there are worse teams in the league, although this season that doesn't seem to count.

It sure has been an entertaining season, good for a neutral, not so much for anyone not a fan of Spurs, Bolton, Man U and Sunderland.
Your right about not being too strong but really we are financially stable and have a good squad, everything should be ok for us but it's not.
We'll have to wait and see, we can't barely score a goal this season so 2 wins looks as unlikely as Villa fans calling for David O'Leary to come back, be interesting to see the table come the end of the season though :)

In all honesty, Houllier deserves more time to build his own team, as that team would've finished bottom half under any manager

However, some of his tactics have been baffling, Carlos Cuellar at right-back !? Unlike most other people in that team, he has played at the top level in Europe at CENTRE BACK, and been an absolute colossus. Certainly better than that catastrophic centre half pairing thats there just now. Give him time, and he will come good I reckon, possibly better than that rat O'Neil did |)

Last edited:
He hasn't got too many mediocre players, and he fielded a side last night which was built on last seasons starting line up, the exceptions being Clark in for Warnock, Cuellar playing at right back for Young (although he was played there a lot under MON, Heskey playing ahead of Gabby and NRC instead of Milner.

Heskey, Beye, Davies, Reo-Coker, Collins, Sidwell and Ireland for me are all mediocre players comapred to other players on their wage. We see very little return for what they are paid.. And I'm glad Houllier is threatening to sell if they don't start performing. The guy has been at the club three months, I'm pretty sure he can turn things around.

Seems Lee's early post provoked a serious response.

I think he was just re-spouting the same thing people keep saying about Liverpool and Hodgson.

Heskey, Beye, Davies, Reo-Coker, Collins, Sidwell and Ireland for me are all mediocre players comapred to other players on their wage. We see very little return for what they are paid.. And I'm glad Houllier is threatening to sell if they don't start performing. The guy has been at the club three months, I'm pretty sure he can turn things around.

Reo-Coker has been in great form this season, before his injury anyway, same as Heskey.
Collins was amazing last season and I think he may be able to get his form back.
The other though I agree are not needed and should and probably will be shipped out.
But 4 players is not too much, Davies is away on loan, Ireland has not played properly since joining, Sidwell is on his way out and Beye is worthless.

I can agree on four of those listed. Heskey, Beye, Sidwell and Ireland are all rubbish in comparison to what their wage could be spent on. On the other hand, Collins is on about 35k p/w, which to me is a fair price for a central defender who could get into most top 10 first teams. Reo-Coker's wage is similar, and he has blossomed into an extremely capable defensive midfielder recently.

However, some of his tactics have been baffling, Carlos Cuellar at Centre back !? Unlike most other people in that team, he has played at the top level in Europe at CENTRE BACK, and been an absolute colossus. Certainly better than that catastrophic centre half pairing thats there just now. Give him time, and he will come good I reckon, possibly better than that rat O'Neil did |)
Cuellar at centre-back when he's played at the top level in Europe at centre-back?

HOULLIER OUT

I can agree on four of those listed. Heskey, Beye, Sidwell and Ireland are all rubbish in comparison to what their wage could be spent on. On the other hand, Collins is on about 35k p/w, which to me is a fair price for a central defender who could get into most top 10 first teams. Reo-Coker's wage is similar, and he has blossomed into an extremely capable defensive midfielder recently.

Cuellar at centre-back when he's played at the top level in Europe at centre-back?

HOULLIER OUT

Uch, you knew what I meant :$ ;) Had a blonde moment there. :'(